• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperPac

Seth C said:
One last question (I think) before I bite the bullet Friday. How does iPhone handle MSN and AIM? Is there a convenient app that will leave me connected all the time? Would the nature of how it works (no push) kill the battery?

Right now the (unhacked) iPhone does not handle MSN or AIM. It is expected that at least a few chat clients will be available for the iPhone via the App Store. The iPhone 3G Guided Tour video Apple released earlier this week shows that AOL's AIM client will be offered for free, and its inclusion in the video would indicate that it will be available when the store launches on the 11th.

It's been speculated that AOL's AIM application will utilize Apple's push notifications system to let you know when you have new messages. So it would not kill the battery. Not sure about other clients though. We'll just have to see!

Hey guys,
I just had a couple questions.

I really need to get a new phone and I want something that has:

-Great Browser Interface
-Excellent Organizer Programs and Schedulers

Is the Iphone really good for this?
The videos look really cool but I wanted to know what you guys
think.

Also this might render this whole question pointless but I have
sprint and does apple still only support AT&T?

Enzom21

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey guys,
I just had a couple questions.

I really need to get a new phone and I want something that has:

-Great Browser Interface
-Excellent Organizer Programs and Schedulers

Is the Iphone really good for this?
The videos look really cool but I wanted to know what you guys
think.

Also this might render this whole question pointless but I have
sprint and does apple still only support AT&T?
Yes, the iPhone is still exclusive to At&t. The iPhone is a GSM phone so if it was unlocked it still would not work on Sprint's network.

enzom21 said:
Yes, the iPhone is still exclusive to At&t. The iPhone is a GSM phone so if it was unlocked it still would not work on Sprint's network.

Ahhh gotcha thats a bummer thanks man.

Is there any phone that is comparable feature wise to the Iphone that would work on sprint?

Dilbert

SuperPac said:
Right now the (unhacked) iPhone does not handle MSN or AIM. It is expected that at least a few chat clients will be available for the iPhone via the App Store. The iPhone 3G Guided Tour video Apple released earlier this week shows that AOL's AIM client will be offered for free, and its inclusion in the video would indicate that it will be available when the store launches on the 11th.

It's been speculated that AOL's AIM application will utilize Apple's push notifications system to let you know when you have new messages. So it would not kill the battery. Not sure about other clients though. We'll just have to see!
However, as of this morning, it handles Google Talk via a kickass new web app from Google!

(Haven't messed around with it too much, but I'm wondering if it also provides AIM since the web client for Google Talk in your browser also supports chatting with AIM users...? Does anyone know?)

border

I went to an AT&T store this afternoon to ask if my T-Mobile Prepaid phone number could be ported to AT&T and used with an iPhone.

I stood around for 10 minutes while the meager handful of reps sat at desks with other customers hammering out whatever contracts and issues and other nonsense that comes with being a customer. Is this what it's always like trying to go to AT&T, or any other contracted mobile phone store? I've always been on prepaid and always bought unlocked phones from eBay, so I have no experience. It seemed absurd to me that I should have to wait so long just to ask an easy question -- but instead there's some dude complaining about his bill forever, some other lady getting a full sales presentation of some new LG phone. It's like trying to buy a car at a dealership where there's no salesmen. Shouldn't there be a customer service location for half this bullshit?

Anyhow, I just left the store because it looked like there was no end in sight. Several other people waiting, and every person kept a sales rep tied up for 5-10 minutes. I absolutely dread thinking about what that place will look like next Friday.

border said:
I went to an AT&T store this afternoon to ask if my T-Mobile Prepaid phone number could be ported to AT&T and used with an iPhone.

I stood around for 10 minutes while the meager handful of reps sat at desks with other customers hammering out whatever contracts and issues and other nonsense that comes with being a customer. Is this what it's always like trying to go to AT&T, or any other contracted mobile phone store? I've always been on prepaid and always bought unlocked phones from eBay, so I have no experience. It seemed absurd to me that I should have to wait so long just to ask an easy question -- but instead there's some dude complaining about his bill forever, some other lady getting a full sales presentation of some new LG phone. It's like trying to buy a car at a dealership where there's no salesmen. Shouldn't there be a customer service location for half this bullshit?

Anyhow, I just left the store because it looked like there was no end in site. Several other people waiting, and every person kept a sales rep tied up for 5-10 minutes. I absolutely dread thinking about what that place will look like next Friday.

Sorry, this is the standard for any phone store. Sprint as least sometimes splits it out into "pay bill/buy accessory" (Couldn't believe the number of people in Chicago who demand to pay their bill by walking into a store every month) and "sign a contract/get a new phone" lines, but yeah, same shit everywhere. The only thing worse is trying to call them.

border

Thanks very much for the link, it looks like I'm eligible.

My problem was not so much that I couldn't get my question answered by an in-store rep, but that this is the sort of poor service I'd be facing anytime I had an issue with my phone or my subscription.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So, I was looking to get into a familyplan with my brother, but the only text plans they'll let us get with iPhone is Unlimited? WTF? IS THIS FORREAL?

Seth C

SephCast said:
So, I was looking to get into a familyplan with my brother, but the only text plans they'll let us get with iPhone is Unlimited? WTF? IS THIS FORREAL?

I don't believe so, but it is the best deal I think. For the Family plans $30 covers unlimited text messages for all lines on the plan.

SuperPac

border said:
Thanks very much for the link, it looks like I'm eligible.

My problem was not so much that I couldn't get my question answered by an in-store rep, but that this is the sort of poor service I'd be facing anytime I had an issue with my phone or my subscription.

Don't judge the whole carrier by crappy service at a retail store. The retail outlets of ANY carrier suck. It's not usually indicative of anything, and some of those locations are not actually company stores anyway.

If you have an issue with the phone you can go to Apple. Actually you'd want to go through Apple anyway, not AT&T. I've never had a problem with service but I am switching my phone number before the 3G comes out to a local Atlanta number (I moved in December but kept my#), and AT&T was very helpful. Quick service and they sent me a new SIM card for free.

SephCast said:

Sorry, my canadian side is laughing. :lol

Cmagus

Ok i have a few questions now I am probably gonna come off as a complete tard but I have never owned a cell phone before in my life.I would like to get an iPhone but to be honest I have no idea how cell phone plans and what not works.

I've talked to someone at a phone store and I never really got many answers just a sales pitch on the thing.I live in Canada and I am looking at the plans from Fido and well they are abit pricey to me.Now my main purpose for the phone is to have in case of emergencies pretty much.I am in college and am moving into a house where we are debating a phone plan seeing how everyone has cell phones.

How exactly do things work? do I have to go through Rogers or Fido to get one? Like can I flat out buy one without taking a plan through them and possibly look elsewhere for a plan other than these two? I don't really want to spend 60.00 a month considering I won't be using it a hell of alot.Also do phone cards work with cell phones as I would rather buy a phone and just use those if I am able to.I know in residence last year i didn't pay for phone plan and just used cards it was cheaper and easier.

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it lol Ive just never understood cell phones all that much.

Cmagus said:
I live in Canada and I am looking at the plans from Fido and well they are abit pricey to me.Now my main purpose for the phone is to have in case of emergencies pretty much.I am in college and am moving into a house where we are debating a phone plan seeing how everyone has cell phones.

How exactly do things work? do I have to go through Rogers or Fido to get one? Like can I flat out buy one without taking a plan through them and possibly look elsewhere for a plan other than these two? I don't really want to spend 60.00 a month considering I won't be using it a hell of alot.Also do phone cards work with cell phones as I would rather buy a phone and just use those if I am able to.I know in residence last year i didn't pay for phone plan and just used cards it was cheaper and easier.

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it lol Ive just never understood cell phones all that much.

Sure.

1. If you want an emergency phone or just a "phone" phone, then you don't want an iPhone. You want something cheap that you don't mind losing. Your choices are a pay-as-you-go phone (where you fill it up by making payments or using pay cards, basically) or a contract phone (you sign up for X years, pay an agreed amount per month + penalties for going over, but the phone cost is reduced.) You can go through Rogers, Fido, Telus, or Bell. With Rogers/Fido you typically have an easier way to switch over to a full plan later thanks to the SIM card, but you don't sound super-attached to your phone number.

The one thing to remember is that sometimes the PAYG minutes may be time limited. If you buy 50 bucks it doesn't mean you have 50 bucks forever on your phone. They expect you to use it or lose it, usually within a year, sometimes even less.

2. Standard "phone cards" for making LD calls don't work, but I'm pretty sure you can easily buy pay-as-you-go topup cards at convenience stores. Take a look at your local store, I guess. The way PAYG works is that you get charged certain rates to do certain things, and it all gets deducted in real time from your PAYG account.

Cmagus

thanks for the help I guess I should of said that as far as the phone part goes on the iphone thats for emergencies id still like one for the other things on it as well.Thanks I will do some more research as well on my end

quick question

MSN messenger on iPhone, does it work like this:

when MSN is in use on the phone can I call, sms and web browes at the same time while MSN is running in the background?

also When I am like walking around town and I get a MSN message from someone will I hear the famous MSN tone? or will the phone vibrate?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
If I buy someone else's 2G iPhone, do I need a data plan in order to make phone calls with it? Or can I just stick my sim card in and sync it with my iTunes?

Dez

How does the maps application work, with respect to downloading maps? Does it download maps in real time or can you just download them periodically via wifi?

Juice

AlphaSnake said:
If I buy someone else's 2G iPhone, do I need a data plan in order to make phone calls with it? Or can I just stick my sim card in and sync it with my iTunes?

Let's say they did a restore first to erase their data before giving it to you. In that case, I believe it has to be activated via iTunes first (or otherwise unlocked entirely), even if you have another SIM.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Here's a question.

Was talking to someone last night about the iPhone, and mentioned how the new ones coming out are $200 and $300, and he said that they would still be $500 and $600 if you went into an Apple store or whatever and bought it without a contract? (Something like that.)

But the truth is, they're not selling for that price anymore at all, right?

Enzom21

omg rite said:
Here's a question.

Was talking to someone last night about the iPhone, and mentioned how the new ones coming out are $200 and $300, and he said that they would still be $500 and $600 if you went into an Apple store or whatever and bought it without a contract? (Something like that.)

But the truth is, they're not selling for that price anymore at all, right?

AT&T announces iPhone 3G pricing plans

Finally, a piece of news we can actually do something with. AT&T today announced its pricing structure for the next iteration of Apple's iPhone -- which you can plunk down money for come 8 am, July 11th. There's not much that's surprising here -- new customers and those eligible for an upgrade will be able to nab the phone for $199 (8GB) or $299 (16GB), while "early upgraders" will have to fork over $399 or $499, all with a two year contract and $18 upgrade fee, of course. The telco says a no-commitment version of the phone will be available for $599 and $699, though it looks like that will come after the initial launch. AT&T appears to be leaning pretty heavily towards the all-in unlimited plans, but there are options if you don't want to go that route. We've sorted out the basics after the break, and included AT&T's "iReady" video -- certainly good for a few chuckles.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/01/a...pricing-plans/

Juice said:
Let's say they did a restore first to erase their data before giving it to you. In that case, I believe it has to be activated via iTunes first (or otherwise unlocked entirely), even if you have another SIM.

You can use a program like iLiberty+ to "hacktivate" your phone... then you can pop your AT&T sim card into it. If it isn't an AT&T sim, you'll need to unlock the phone first. That program can do this as well.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Juice said:

But will I have to sign up to a data plan in order for the phone to function?

ckohler

robertsan21 said:
quick question

MSN messenger on iPhone, does it work like this:

when MSN is in use on the phone can I call, sms and web browes at the same time while MSN is running in the background?

also When I am like walking around town and I get a MSN message from someone will I hear the famous MSN tone? or will the phone vibrate?

First up, there is no MSN on the iPhone yet. It's very likely someone will release a MSN compatible native IM application soon but nothing has been announced. Currently you can connection to MSN using the web browser but that stops working the moment you close the web browser or do something else.

When someone DOES release an MSN client for the iPhone, here's how it will work. When you open the application it will connect you. Then, when you close the application/switch to another/take a call/etc., you will remain logged in to MSN and if you get a new message, your phone will make the new message sound and it might even pop the message up over the top of whatever you are doing just like how SMS messages currently work.

It does this without keeping the application running in the background. It's called a "push notification" and is handled by the IM service.

Dez said:
How does the maps application work, with respect to downloading maps? Does it download maps in real time or can you just download them periodically via wifi?

It works exactly like Google Maps works in your web browser. It downloads the pictures in real time when you use it. Don't worry, it's plenty fast. I've even had success on Edge.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Juice said:
Yeah, you should be able to stroll in and pick one up off the shelves Sunday afternoon.

If it is like last time, you will be able to go to a store Friday afternoon. But that $199 pricetag might prevent that.

ckohler said:
First up, there is no MSN on the iPhone yet. It's very likely someone will release a MSN compatible native IM application soon but nothing has been announced. Currently you can connection to MSN using the web browser but that stops working the moment you close the web browser or do something else.

When someone DOES release an MSN client for the iPhone, here's how it will work. When you open the application it will connect you. Then, when you close the application/switch to another/take a call/etc., you will remain logged in to MSN and if you get a new message, your phone will make the new message sound and it might even pop the message up over the top of whatever you are doing just like how SMS messages currently work.

It does this without keeping the application running in the background. It's called a "push notification" and is handled by the IM service.

sounds great, let´s hope they release one of those very soon then!

Seth C

omg rite said:
Man.

I really want to get out of my T-Mobile contract. :[

Just break it. I'm breaking mine with Helio. I'm switching to a family plan which will save me about $20 a month overall, so I'll have saved enough to pay for the early termination in 9 months.

Akira

I sorta got too excited after the iPhone announcement and switched to AT&T and got a cheap phone with them to just use as a backup while I switch the SIM card into my Sony Ericsson K750i. Will I be eligible for an upgrade?

Dez

ckohler said:
It works exactly like Google Maps works in your web browser. It downloads the pictures in real time when you use it. Don't worry, it's plenty fast. I've even had success on Edge.

see.. i was hoping i'd be able to use the gps/google maps without a data plan.

Juice

Dez said:
see.. i was hoping i'd be able to use the gps/google maps without a data plan.

Sure you can, just install a satellite on top of your car and subscribe to the Internet through it. Then use a wifi router to connect your iPhone.

Or you could realize that an iPhone without a data plan is like a table without chairs.

Juice

Akira said:
I sorta got too excited after the iPhone announcement and switched to AT&T and got a cheap phone with them to just use as a backup while I switch the SIM card into my Sony Ericsson K750i. Will I be eligible for an upgrade?

Hah, not sure how you thought that would get you any closer to an iPhone, but odds are you're in the only camp that won't get the subsidized price.

border

Juice said:
Hah, not sure how you thought that would get you any closer to an iPhone, but odds are you're in the only camp that won't get the subsidized price.
As long as he didn't sign up for a contract I don't see what the problem would be.

Someone on the last page even said people currently under contract can just extend/renew theirs:

- Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount. So unless you had previously short cycled an existing 2 year contract to buy the first iPhone, and that has not yet expired, you should be okay. Check your account online.

Juice

border said:
As long as he didn't sign up for a contract I don't see what the problem would be.

Someone on the last page even said people currently under contract can just extend/renew theirs:

- Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount. So unless you had previously short cycled an existing 2 year contract to buy the first iPhone, and that has not yet expired, you should be okay. Check your account online.

By default, every new sign-up involving a phone will kick off a 2 year contract AFAIK.

And in previous communication, they said you'd have to have been a customer for some number of months.

Seth C

Typically speaking those who are in a 2 year contract with AT&T become "upgrade eligible" after 12 months. That way every year you can get a new, subsidized phone, and they can extend your contract back to two years.

So if you just signed up for AT&T and took a cheap phone from them...you are likely screwed. That would be the worst possible decision.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
If I upgrade, will it render my OG iPhone useless? Would I still be able to use it? An un-jailbroken 3G still does not compare. If I can't use both, there really is no point n upgrading until they hack the thing.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I went to the AT&T store down the street to see what the deal was going to be Friday. It is a brand new store with 10 terminals to check people out. The manager said all 10 will be running Friday at 8AM, so any line shouldn't around long. This store was massive with no one in it today, lol.

Dez

Juice said:
Sure you can, just install a satellite on top of your car and subscribe to the Internet through it. Then use a wifi router to connect your iPhone.

Or you could realize that an iPhone without a data plan is like a table without chairs.

i don't see why.. i just want a regular cell phone, mp3 player, and gps in one device, with a good UI. I was hoping the google maps would let you cache the maps via wifi prior to going out, rather than needlessly wasting data on cell networks.

Seth C said:
Typically speaking those who are in a 2 year contract with AT&T become "upgrade eligible" after 12 months. That way every year you can get a new, subsidized phone, and they can extend your contract back to two years.

So if you just signed up for AT&T and took a cheap phone from them...you are likely screwed. That would be the worst possible decision.

not neccesarily. I think if you upgrade to a higher data plan you can still get the discount.

Schrade

Dez said:
i don't see why.. i just want a regular cell phone, mp3 player, and gps in one device, with a good UI. I was hoping the google maps would let you cache the maps via wifi prior to going out, rather than needlessly wasting data on cell networks.
The PSP can do it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom