• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Aeana

41bVtFs.png

Three decades ago, Final Fantasy was released for the Famicom in Japan. Its success saved a dying company and spawned a massively successful and (mostly) beloved series, launching Squaresoft into position as a giant among RPG developers. Few video game series are able to stir as much passion in the people whom it has touched, for better or for worse. Divisive as it is, everybody has a favorite, and nobody has a weak opinion on the matter. With as much passion as people have for the series, I thought it only appropriate that we re-experience the games we love so much to celebrate Final Fantasy's important birthday.

Five years ago, I created a thread to celebrate the Final Fantasy series's 25th anniversary. It's hard to believe it's been five whole years, but we've now arrived at the beginning of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary year. Not only is 2017 Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, it's also Final Fantasy 7's 20th anniversary, and Final Fantasy 5's 25th anniversary as well. Square Enix is kicking off a year of celebration starting today, so it's only natural that we begin ours today as well.

My goal for this thread is for our community to use it to come together and not only replay their favorite entries in this series and document their journeys over the coming year, but also for people to try some of the games they may have never tried before. Most importantly, I want everyone to be able to share their memories and experiences of playing these games together.

You're free to join in whenever you like, and play whichever games you like. The thread is intended to run for the entire year, so there is no rush.

---------------

People asked for my opinions about which versions are best to play, so here goes.

1: PSX. Of the modern releases of the game, the PSX version is the one that I feel achieved the best game balance. It retains the D&D style spell charge system, and isn’t as much of a walkover as the PSP version. GBA would do in a pinch, although it does replace the spell system with MP.

2: PSX. This game is notorious for a stigma that you have to beat yourself up to progress. This isn’t true, never was, but the just as with 1, I think the PSX version of 2 achieves the best balance. The PSP version is too easy, to the point where spells level up too fast and end up costing more MP earlier on than you really want them to.

3: NES. The DS/mobile/PC/PSP version makes significant changes to the core systems, changes up the order in which you get jobs, mucks with the balance significantly in order to accommodate 3 enemy battles instead of the original 9. The NES version still feels quite modern, in my opinion.

4: You have two very distinct choices with FF4.
The DS/mobile/PC 3D remake is my favorite version of the game. It overhauls the battle system and encounter design and gives an interesting if not somewhat cumbersome progression system for the player to use.

For 2D versions, I strongly recommend the PSX version above the others. It retains the balance of the original Japanese release. The PSP version is insultingly easy, although nice to look at.

5: GBA. This version has a good translation, and doesn’t really suffer in any major way in comparison to the SNES version.

6: I prefer GBA. You can’t go wrong with either the SNES or GBA versions, though. The GBA version fixes many bugs with the game, but has downgraded music (which can be fixed with a fan patch, if you’re so inclined). SNES version is nearly perfect and can also be patched to fix many of the bugs fixed on GBA. Avoid PSX at all costs, the load times are atrocious.

7: Any. The Steam and PS4 versions have cheats and fast forward.

8: Any

9: PC/mobile version is preferred, because it has an option to skip the pre-battle camera rotation which adds several seconds to the start of each fight.

10: PS4 or PC are preferred over the PS3/Vita versions because they have a music selector. PS2 version doesn’t have the international sphere grid.

10-2: Any version of the remaster is good here.

11: PC.

12: Zodiac Job System is the best, but I’m sure the remaster will take the crown.

13: PC, although PS3 has 1080p movies.

14: PC.

15: PS4.

Axass

Never played I, II, XV. Have to finish IV, V, XII. Want to replay IX.

I hope to at least play a couple of those this year.

Timeaisis

My goal will be to finish VI. I've played it about 5 times, but always stop at the
world of ruin
part.

As for past entries, here's what I have not played:
III and V. I played but never finished VI, XII and XIV. Is V worth playing? I think I'm going to wait for the remaster before diving back into XII.

Bladenic

I really feel like replaying FFIX and not sure if I wanna replay the classic or new version on iOS.

Also need to finish VI. Maybe can play some spinoffs i never did. Currently playing After Years and Dissidia 12. Need to finish up Lightning Returns as well. And there are still things I haven't done in XV. Hopefully I get all that done before Zodiac Age.

Hasney

I'll still be playing dungeons in XV. I love that game too much to play another one right now.

EDIT: oh, yeah. Well I'll play XII for sure too.

My goal is to play all the main games in order (the best versions of them) in 2017, as well as the biggest spin-offs (Tactics, Type Zero). I'l probably re-watch all 3 movies too.

Except XI.

Aeana

My goal will be to finish VI. I've played it about 5 times, but always stop at the
world of ruin
part.

As for past entries, here's what I have not played:
III and V. I played but never finished VI, XII and XIV. Is V worth playing? I think I'm going to wait for the remaster before diving back into XII.

5 is one of my absolute favorites. And some people like it so much that we have an annual charity drive surrounding playing the game. Super good.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I guess I'll introduce myself as the Final Fantasy fan I am, though.

I began this wild and crazy quest with VII. Moved on to Tactics, then VIII, then V and VI, then I through IV and IX and X and you get the idea. I've seen 'em all. I've skipped some of the spinoffs and I wasn't interested in the XIII sequels. I've been around the fandom since early '98 and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'm a big mark for some other classic Square titles, too, most notably Xenogears.

Gigarator

Never been the biggest fan of the series but FFXI consumed my life for 4 solid years so I have some affinity with it. Frustrating and could be hard as balls, but I'll be damned if I didn't meet some great people and have a great time regardless.

Rean

I was actually in the middle of going through all the FF games for the first time last year. So far I've beaten 7,6,14 (Main Scenario), 10, 13, 8, and 15 in that order. I just started 9 and I like the return of 4 party members after 7, 8 and 10. Out of all of the ones I've played 6 was my favorite, and I might replay that next year as well.

I've been telling myself to do a full mainline series replay for years, but keep putting it off. It sounds like a fantastic goal for 2017 - I'm in

Vamp

I started ff7 for the first time, i am enjoying it so far. Other ff game i haven't played is ff9, hopefully Sony will release it on PS4.

Gonna play Dragon Quest to celebrate such a momentous occasion. Seriously though, the series has been through some intense growing pains since Sakaguchi left. While games post FFX have been good in their own rights, none of them felt like they captured that certain quality he brought to the table.

I feel like FFXV is a step in the right direction. Even if it takes a few steps forward and a one or two back. I would rather see more of Tabata's fixation on character death than Toriyama''s Lightning Waifu complex in future titles.

EDarkness

I've been thinking about playing Final Fantasy 1 again on the original NES. I have my NES hooked up and think it would be cool to give it one more go in it's original form. I bought FF III again on my iPad and I want to give that a shot as well. The problem is going to be finding time.

Aeana

I did that long, in-depth playthrough of FF3 Famicom for the last thread, so right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do a repeat performance, or put the spotlight on FF2 instead. FF2 needs people to understand why it's cool. :(

Maybe both

Never been the biggest fan of the series but FFXI consumed my life for 4 solid years so I have some affinity with it. Frustrating and could be hard as balls, but I'll be damned if I didn't meet some great people and have a great time regardless.

I likened XI to an abusive relationship - but goddamn if it wasn't worth it. I still talk daily with some of my old buddies I met through XI. Even finally had an irl meetup with a couple last summer

I'm still doing post-game stuff in XV. I've been meaning to try XIV and replay XIII again though so I'll likely pop in here and there.

Are your anniversaries mixed up in the OP Aeana? Looks like you've got FFV listed for 15th anniversary when it's the 25th. :)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I did that long, in-depth playthrough of FF3 Famicom for the last thread, so right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do a repeat performance, or put the spotlight on FF2 instead. FF2 needs people to understand why it's cool. :(

Maybe both

I'd strongly prefer you ran with FF2, myself. I'd love to see a fan talk about what makes it click. I'm in agreement with you that it's not so bad a game.

Aeana

I'm still doing post-game stuff in XV. I've been meaning to try XIV and replay XIII again though so I'll likely pop in here and there.

Are your anniversaries mixed up in the OP Aeana? Looks like you've got FFV listed for 15th anniversary while FFVII is having it's 20th.

Oops. Was a typo; it should've been 20 and 25.

psykomyko

I'll definitely be doing this. I won't be able to start until middle of next month, as I am currently in the process of moving into a new apartment

I have never beaten any game in the series. Dabbled in FFXIII and I am currently at chapter 12 in FFXV. I will probably wait to finish FFXV until that patch comes out.

What would be a good one to start with in this series? Should I go chronologically? I only own X/X-2 and XV for PS4 but I do plan on getting all of them when I get to them.

Oh cool I'm down. I became a Final Fantasy fan with my entry to the series: FFXIII and shortly after XIII-2 about six years ago. I love both of those, especially the latter which is one of my favorite games in general. As I've said recently on GAF, I think I benefitted from having no silly notions of "what a Final Fantasy game is."

Since I've played IV, VII, XIV:ARR, Lightning Returns, X, and VIII in that order.

This year my goals will be: IX, finish XV, return to XIV, and probably grab XII HD. I also wouldn't mind replaying XIII.

Edit: My ranking is

1) VII
2) XIII-2
3) XIV
4) XIII
5) X
6) VIII
7) Lightning Returns
8) My Life As King (my actual first Final Fantasy game)
9) IV

kennyamr

My first real game, FF game, and favorite game of all time.

Final Fantasy IX.

I have been planning to re-play it again for a while (for the 4th or 5th? time) but I've been hoping to see its new Steam version on the PS4 and try that one out.
I'll wait for a few more months but I may just go ahead and play its original version again.
We'll see.

Also Happy Anniversary Final Fantasy.

Also Tactics, I never played those... and I heard they are awesome, I should check those out.

Velcro Fly

I own a lot of Final Fantasy games but I rarely finish them.

I think the only one I actually finished was FF3 on the DS. And that was not a very enjoyable experience. I've been to the end of FFX a few times but never finished it.

My goal is modest. I want to finish FFIV (PSP) and FFX (PS4).

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
What would be a good one to start with in this series? Should I go chronologically? I only own X/X-2 and XV for PS4 but I do plan on getting all of them when I get to them.

There are so many reasons to give you so many answers. Chronologically might be your best bet overall. Other alternatives would be IV, VI, VII, and X. I could write an essay on why each of these is a good idea but I think if time permits you ought to just start from the beginning and watch the franchise evolve.

You'll find great stories sprouting somewhere around the SNES era and they'll be further refined in the days of the PSX. The PS2 will show new growing pains but bold new solutions and characters with voices. Each generation has its fans, each game has its diehards.

Lifeline

There should be a list in the OP of all the games in the series and the best way to play them now. I remember the last time i wanted to play FF6 and being overwhelmed at all the different versions and the pros and cons for each.

Hazu

I finished FFXV last week.. and it was actually my first FF game ever.

I'm really not sure which one I should play next.

I'd love to try FFXIV somedays, but as I am playing World of Warcraft most of the time, I'd rather avoid playing two MMOs at the same time.

Any suggestions?

I was watching a lets play of FFXIII recently, with 3 people blind and 1 person who had played it (just so it kept moving) and i now know why FFXIII really goes from mediocre game to truly bad. It's not being linear in and of itself, it's not the "bad" characters, most of them are not great but 5/6 have redeeming factors, and it's not the "complicated plot" (it's not complicated).

It's the fact that the linear hallway includes a shit-ton of mandatory battles that take forever and require just enough thought that you can't mash through them (it's one of the harder FFs in this regard) but little enough that they're not fun. The system is built from the ground up for 3 characters and the ability to choose from a selection of roles and combinations that it only gives you full access to 2/3 way through. The fights before this with 2 people are painful, and plentiful.

This structure is what i think is FFXIIIs greatest flaw.

There are so many reasons to give you so many answers. Chronologically might be your best bet overall. Other alternatives would be IV, VI, VII, and X. I could write an essay on why each of these is a good idea but I think if time permits you ought to just start from the beginning and watch the franchise evolve.

You'll find great stories sprouting somewhere around the SNES era and they'll be further refined in the days of the PSX. The PS2 will show new growing pains but bold new solutions and characters with voices. Each generation has its fans, each game has its diehards.

I think XV is simultaneously the best for people who have never played FF but one of the worst for people who want to get into the whole series.

Aeana

There should be a list in the OP of all the games in the series and the best way to play them now. I remember the last time i wanted to play FF6 and being overwhelmed at all the different versions and the pros and cons for each.

I can add my personal opinions. There are some where it's a bit subjective, though.

One of my favorite series.

I'm way more partial to the 3D games. I've beaten all the mainline ones (VII - X, XII, XIII, and making my way through XV now).

IX and X are my two favorites. I've never beaten any before VII, but have played most of them. I'd like to go back and beat some of those older ones.

Aeana

Never played 3 and 2, Will try to play one, which of these 2 do you guys like more?

I love 3 so much, but the remake wrecked a lot of what I love about the game. So if you don't want to play the NES version (it still plays pretty well today, IMO), then I wouldn't bother.

I've been wanting to revisit VIII after listening to the soundtrack on XV. I've largely forgotten the major story beats, so I think I'll enjoy going through it again. First I'm finishing up the XV post-game first though, then running through the story again for a better understanding (though I'd prefer to sit on that until the patches come out).

I'll also have to give XII the time of day everyone seems to think it deserves. Really did not enjoy myself first time I played it, but who knows? I might have more fun with the remaster.

I love 3 so much, but the remake wrecked a lot of what I love about the game. So if you don't want to play the NES version (it still plays pretty well today, IMO), then I wouldn't bother.

That's so strange. I wouldn't touch NES 3 with a 3 foot pole, but i think the 3d version is a fine game.

Should I wait for the Xii remaster or just pull out the ps2? What say you FFXII gaf?

Definitely wait. Zodiac Job System is a way better game even without the graphical additions.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Any suggestions?

I'm a VII fanatic, so it's easy for me to tell you VII and call it a day. But what are you looking for, exactly? Any idea? A spirit of high adventure? FFV is a terrific entry for that. Something a little darker? That's where I'd say VII -- or Tactics for that matter. Something with a lot of flexibility in battle? FFV and Tactics -- and the upcoming FFXII remaster -- are awesome for it. Something simple, something silly and charming? FFIV. Something more complex but bursting with even more charm? FFIX. A sprawling cast of eccentric personalities and some of the most memorable setpieces on the SNES? FFVI!

...I'm bad at this. I'm sorry. This is probably overwhelming. But I bet we can point you in the right direction if you have an idea what you're in for.

I can add my personal opinions. There are some where it's a bit subjective, though.

Please do! I think it'd be a novel addition. Or if you want a variety of suggestions, we can always fill entirely too many pages with this discourse.

fester

Banned
My earliest Final Fantasy memory is pouring over the NES FF1 manual, maps, and monster guide in 6th grade study hall. It was magnificent and magical. My best Final Fantasy memory was somehow convincing my mom to buy Final Fantasy II (aka IV) from Toys R Us even though it wasn't my birthday or Christmas. Shit like that just didn't happen. It was magnificent and magical. :)

I'm kind of bummed that the series has left me behind. I've played them all through XIV (both incarnations) and XII was the last game that I really loved. The music was the only thing that got me to finish XIII and it looks like XV will be the first that I won't buy/play. :(

I have nearly every version of FFIV and I'm feeling inspired to fire up the PSX version that I never got around to finishing.

That's so strange. I wouldn't touch NES 3 with a 3 foot pole, but i think the 3d version is a fine game.

Definitely wait. Zodiac Job System is a way better game even without the graphical additions.
So any tips going in because o remember back than I just couldn't get into it I didn't last very long I couldn't grasp the combat either

Top Bottom