• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Did Nintendo download a Mario ROM and sell it back to us?

Velkyn

Why is it that now after the switch event even the smallest things are used to create a negative buzz around Nintendo? Why is there so much hate?

On topic: it's their IP so they can do what they want!

It's pretty par for the course with Nintendo tbh

Pretty much. Jim Sterling and others seem to get really caught up about Nintendo "selling us ROM files" but it's not really that simple...they own the game, it's their property, they can do what they like with it.
A lot of you aren't getting the point. The criticism isn't and.shouldnt be that they are selling us Roms. The problem is that Nintendo clearly demonstrates by this behavior that there is little to no back end investment or time required for them to offer us these games for purchase. What do they do instead? Trickle out titles and pretend they don't have the ability to serve content to people who are willing to pay for it.

Somnid

A lot of you aren't getting the point. The criticism isn't and.shouldnt be that they are selling us Roms. The problem is that Nintendo clearly demonstrates by this behavior that there is little to no back end investment or time required for them to offer us these games for purchase. What do they do instead? Trickle out titles and pretend they don't have the ability to serve content to people who are willing to pay for it.

We knew this and it's irrelevant. They do some emulation on the technical side and occasionally there are barriers there but the vast majority of VC is handled by the legal department.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yet Nintendo couldn't source a ROM for Super Mario Bros. internally; instead, they had to download a ROM... because they couldn't preserve their games well. While saying that emulators are only good for piracy and hurt their bottom line, and no good for anything else.

Couldn't or didn't? Because there's a pretty big difference between the too.

rav

And yet, while there is some evidence this is possible, there still isnt proof. You're drawing conclusions from an incomplete set of information.

MUnited83

For you.
How is it unethical.. It's their own IP. You can laugh at them for being lazy and stupid. But unethical?

You can laugh at them for trying to combat piracy yet piracy is the thing that allows them for actually re-releasing old classics. It shows how important piracy is for archiving and preservation.

beril

I fail to see any hypocrisy.
They don't have to approve of piracy to acknowledge that it exists and that they can get the Super Mario Bros ROM much faster and easier just by googling for it than by accessing their own vaults.

bomblord1

Banned
You can laugh at them for trying to combat piracy yet piracy is the thing that allows them for actually re-releasing old classics. It shows how important piracy is for archiving and preservation.

Piracy is not required for either of those things. Please do not degrade people who are actually attempting to preserve game software by equating them with pirates.

It's not piracy if you own what you're downloading.

Though I agree with your general point about people having digital copies of these things helping archiving and preservation. The problem is when they put them out to the public and eat sales away from games that you can actively pay for. Which is where the actual piracy comes in.

Soren01

In what world is this a problem? It is their property, they have spent money to produce the game... There is no practical difference at all, just desire to cry on internet forums.

I don't really understand why so many of you are saying “it's ok, they own the IP.” Yeah, no shit; that wasn't the point of the article.

The point is that Nintendo is completely against 3rd-party emulators on the basis of them being used exclusively for piracy, disregarding their place in the preservation of old games.

Yet Nintendo couldn't source a ROM for Super Mario Bros. internally; instead, they had to download a ROM... because they couldn't preserve their games well. While saying that emulators are only good for piracy and hurt their bottom line, and no good for anything else.

Yep, people are way to eager to look like the champions of integrity without realizing the issue at hand.

There's a vast difference between couldn't and didn't. We have absolutely zero knowledge of what Nintendo has in their files.

(This comment has no bearing on Nintendo downloading the rom vs ripping their own)

Future

Does Nintendo actually actively stop sites from hosting roms ? Those roms are everywhere and people talk openly about downloading and playing them.

MUnited83

For you.
Piracy is not required for either of those things. Please do not degrade people who are actually attempting to preserve game software by equating them with pirates.

That's my entire point though. They claim that preservation is piracy, but then use it to get preserved copies of their own games! It's hypocritical as shit.
It's not piracy if you own what you're downloading.

Though I agree with your general point about people having digital copies of these things helping archiving and preservation. The problem is when they put them out to the public and eat sales away from games that you can actively pay for. Which is where the actual piracy comes in.
That's quite frankly irrelevant. They are the ones that go against the sites that supply those roms to begin with! It's hypocritical as hell.

Metal B

There is a end investment in getting licenses, rating and bug-testing (like looking for back-doors). The official way is always much more complex, since you have to look into many legal trip hazards each time.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I don't really see the issue with this. VC games and PS1/2 classics have always just been iso/rom dumps anyway. Does it matter where they got the ROM from?

It's a bit different in execution, as the cart format required some custom work as explained in the video. The idea is a little funny to me that they likely paid some third party for the work, but he just went out and downloaded a "pirated" version of the game, lol.

To everyone in the thread asking why this matters: it's explained in the video the OP linked starting around the 2:30 mark and onwards. It's not really even finding a problem with it in an 'ethical' sense, it's more about how he finds it confusing. I like the little point of surprise that they have to get a ROM of Super Mario Bros. of all games as well.

peronmls

Which they originally supplied.

Yes. So they go and complain about people pirating when it's about having the games live on. They didn't have the source and didn't want to reverse engineer the game so they download a rip which they still consider part of pirating and go and use on THIER VC (emulator) which they also consider pirating. It's total hypocritical.

According to this we wouldn't of had that mario VC if it wasn't for the communities rip.

This gets a big fat "so?" from me. Gonna need a point explained.

How they got the rom is of less significance. Whether they dumped it themselves, downloaded it from the internet, or whatever, it is their IP and as long as they did their own legwork to make sure it was not modified from its source then I don't have a problem with it.

The problem comes in they have taken a hard stance against all emulation calling it piracy. Which is a hard pill to swallow if they are benefiting from legally grey areas that is much more akin to preservation efforts in other mediums. They didn't invent the iNES file format, but they are using it and all the benefits of emulating around a known standard rather than inventing their own.

They unintentionally validated the work of the pirates they have taken a hard stance against.

koss424

Standard laziness from Nintendo, wouldn't be surprised if it hands up being true.

I mean the rights to that game are still owned by Nintendo so it's really not a problem. It's more likely they hired a programmer to develop the port of the game and they decided to work smarter not harder, and presented his boss a completed project. But yes, let's blame the entire company.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Does Nintendo actually actively stop sites from hosting roms ? Those roms are everywhere and people talk openly about downloading and playing them.

I know they used to, at least if the site was offering ROMs of first party games like Mario and Zelda.

This thread is amazing. I heard jokes about Nintendo fans didn't realize how true some of the jokes were. The point is either flying over heads or just being outright ignored in favor of defending Nintendo.

How they got the rom is of less significance. Whether they dumped it themselves, downloaded it from the internet, or whatever, it is their IP and as long as they did their own legwork to make sure it was not modified from its source then I don't have a problem with it.

The problem comes in they have taken a hard stance against all emulation calling it piracy. Which is a hard pill to swallow if they are benefiting from legally grey areas that is much more akin to preservation efforts in other mediums. They didn't invent the iNES file format, but they are using it and all the benefits of emulating around a known standard rather than inventing their own.

They unintentionally validated the work of the pirates they have taken a hard stance against.

Well stated.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Why I can never be arsed buying these ROMS when I'll just choose to better emulate the carts/discs I have bought previously on PC with bitchin' CRT shaders or portables that are more convenient for me.

When they go through the effort of adding stuff, I support it though (3DS 3D titles for instance). Mainly because then I know the software engineers still working a job are getting remunerated from my funds. Paying corporations for games they've fired people over decades later isn't really my way of the ninja.

This thread is amazing. I heard jokes about Nintendo fans didn't realize how true some of the jokes were. The point is either flying over heads or just being outright ignored in favor of defending Nintendo.
This week hasn't been kind. Many have re-emerged from the crucible of flesh, reborn as what they need to be right now for the holy war.

JohnTH

Are you trying to justify piracy? Do you expect Nintendo to not go after rom sites? What are you arguing?
Did I come off that way? I'm not saying that they should just let piracy run amok; only that piracy is not the sole reason why emulators exist, and they could do a better job of preserving their own games.
Essentially, I'm arguing that they should change their stance on emulators existing solely to hurt Nintendo's bottom line.

I'm extremely tired today. If my posts somehow sound like thinly-veiled attempts at justifying piracy, they're not.

Couldn't or didn't? Because there's a pretty big difference between the too.
Kinda true; but even if they didn't because of some corporate red line, that doesn't really make a whole lot of difference, does it? The pirate ROMs are still more practical for archiving purposes :p

ViolentP

It may be semantics, but it's not ok for Nintendo to steal stolen software even if it belonged to them. If it belongs to them, they should be able to produce it internally.

Tagyhag

It's interesting, Nintendo hates piracy and equates everyone to being pirates, but if the games weren't being preserved by said "Pirates", maybe Nintendo wouldn't have a way to access the games as well (Could have lost the source codes).

I think it is a bit hypocritical to shit on these people and use their services at the same time, yes.

That's my entire point though. They claim that preservation is piracy, but then use it to get preserved copies of their own games! It's hypocritical as shit.

That's quite frankly irrelevant. They are the ones that go against the sites that supply those roms to begin with! It's hypocritical as hell.
They go against them because they're letting people who don't own their IP download them for free. I don't think they're against the idea of ROMs as a basic concept of preservation, only when it loses them money. They wouldn't shut those sites down if all they were doing is keeping these emulated games up for preservation and to help companies.

I mean, I get why you think it's a bit hypocritical, but I can't muster up any negative feelings towards what they're doing considering that they own the IP, and I agree with them that people shouldn't be downloading things they have the ability to pay for.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's interesting, Nintendo hates piracy and equates everyone to being pirates, but if the games weren't being preserved by said "Pirates", maybe Nintendo wouldn't have a way to access the games as well (Could have lost the source codes).

I think it is a bit hypocritical to shit on these people and use their services at the same time, yes.

But they're doing something that is against their own rules and terms of srevice.

malfcn

Like they said, the head and the body are sometimes so far disconnected. I found an official band shirt with the wrong lyrics on it before - copied from a lyrics website. Contacted them and got an "Oh" as response.

pronk420

This absolutely doesn't prove that they downloaded it from the internet at all, it is completely reaching.

The file format is identical to an open source emulator file format, which just means that Nintendo's emulation team decided to use a standard file format for their ROMs. The fact that the data is identical doesn't prove anything either since of course the ROMs are going to be identical.

I fail to see any hypocrisy.
They don't have to approve of piracy to acknowledge that it exists and that they can get the Super Mario Bros ROM much faster and easier just by googling for it than by accessing their own vaults.

I see it. Especially considering their attitude toward their fans. But to be fair, it's not the fact that they downloaded that annoys me. It's the fact that they can't be bothered to dump their own game that they're about to sell for 5 bucks.

The fact that they're basically making you pay for a dump that an amateur illegaly downloaded is dirty IMO.

If, at least, Nintendo decided to use an outside NES ROM file format (instead of developing their own), it makes you wonder if they took any similar shortcuts on the actual emulation software.

Has anyone tried to do an analysis of the Virtual Console emulator to see if there are any open source license violations?

Assuming Nintendo did dump their own cart internally, then why use a 'pirate' file format from 1996? Why not spend a day or two developing a format that helps encapsulate VC needs, instead of an ancient format from the days of DOS?

It makes me wonder if they use that format because they are also using someone else's emulator internally.

We've seen game companies do it time and time again -- packaging someone else's ROM dump of their game (arguable on legality/morality) and someone else's open-source emulator (totally illegal and immoral without following the license provisions) and selling the game at retail.

Top Bottom