• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Just finished with everything and I must say what a great journey it was! 9S finding out that androids are essentially just machines themselves -- something that I was thinking about from start to finish -- was a really interesting revelation. The androids thought they were superior because they were made in the image of man and fighting for mankind, but when it boils down to it, they were just a more advanced type of machine.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So wait, who is the real canon final boss?

1. A2 / 9S?
2. Adam and Eve?
3. Credits?

Roussow

Wrapped up A through E. Reading up about the Emil boss stuff here, thinking about diving back in, is there a good guide for this kinda post game stuff? I assume there's a ton more joke endings (I got K & U I think, I saw G on a stream), is Y one of the last kinda story heavy endings?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wrapped up A through E. Reading up about the Emil boss stuff here, thinking about diving back in, is there a good guide for this kinda post game stuff? I assume there's a ton more joke endings (I got K & U I think, I saw G on a stream), is Y one of the last kinda story heavy endings?

There is an ending for every letter of the alphabet

So, there are a lot of sidequests in this game. Most of them have great, flavor-packed writing, but for many gamers, it would take too much time to complete them all.

If we were to compile a list of must-do subquests, what do you think should make the cut?

The romeo and juliet quest is a given.

Vic_Viper

Do we know what happens if we have gotten all of the endings?

Some of the endings require you to do something during different periods, for example some require you to do something during your 1st play through. Do you have to do all of them during your very first play through, or can you get them after getting the first few main endings?

I'd rather not follow a guide for my very first play through to get all these endings. How are others here doing it?

Caim

Do we know what happens if we have gotten all of the endings?

Some of the endings require you to do something during different periods, for example some require you to do something during your 1st play through. Do you have to do all of them during your very first play through, or can you get them after getting the first few main endings?

I'd rather not follow a guide for my very first play through to get all these endings. How are others here doing it?

You get a Chapter Select after Route C which will allow you to go back and get the rest of the endings.

Jiraiza

So, there are a lot of sidequests in this game. Most of them have great, flavor-packed writing, but for many gamers, it would take too much time to complete them all.

If we were to compile a list of must-do subquests, what do you think should make the cut?

The romeo and juliet quest is a given.

Amnesia because it gives insight into the whole Executioner model line as well as an amazing subtle foreshadowing nod to 2B.

Building the slide for the kids is a definite must.

Heck, I'd argue all the village sidequests are a must considering the payoff later.

Roussow

So how many of you actually sacrificed your save data? I plan on going back and doing it after I get the Platinum, I feel super guilty for not doing so.

Hektor

Shortsummary of the first of the two novellas (Heavy spoiler):
http://nier2.com/blog/2017/03/07/nierautomata-world-guide-novellas/

:[

So how many of you actually sacrificed your save data? I plan on going back and doing it after I get the Platinum, I feel super guilty for not doing so.

I didn't do it the first time, but replayed the ending after buying all the trophies and doing a lot of missing sidequests. Haven't fought the Emil boss unfortunately, will do that in the pc version

Jiraiza

Shortsummary of the first of the two novellas (Heavy spoiler):
http://nier2.com/blog/2017/03/07/nierautomata-world-guide-novellas/

:[

I didn't do it the first time, but replayed the ending after buying all the trophies and doing a lot of missing sidequests. Haven't fought the Emil boss unfortunately, will do that in the pc version

I'm confused. Rekka says it takes place after the beginning of the game, but how does that fit? I don't recall there being enough downtime in between the demo section and them being in the bunker again for that to happen.

After beating the game and sacrificing my save data I instantly regretted it cos I wanted to mess around with debug mode, yesterday evening I found a Ps plus cloud save which was around halfway through C (when you regain control of 9S) - which made me breath a huge sigh of relief.

On topic though:

Do we explicitly know how 2B got infected? I assume it might be the same virus that infected YorHa, maybe 9S was immune since he had hacked himself immunity or something? (Until he uses 2B's hand that is)

Hektor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePKjkPl8jJs

Hands down one of the biggest "shit gets real" moments in videogames.

I'm confused. Rekka says it takes place after the beginning of the game, but how does that fit? I don't recall there being enough downtime in between the demo section and them being in the bunker again for that to happen.

In the comments she says it's not clear when this takes place lol.

It's probably just her interpretation and it might as well take place before.

It's funny how two of the biggest parts of the game to make me cry both involved the residents of Pascal's village. :(

The Village is definitely a high point of the game. It's probably the only location that creates the same sense of familiarity and attachment that was so common in the first game.

But now I can't spam the OT with new GIFs!

Time to 100% the Western release, since I missed a few things on my Japanese save.

That's what I'm doing too.

It helps to donate 40k to the Half-wit Inventor as soon as possible, since he gives you the Choice Satchet that spawns a moose at every savepoint. It makes getting around much faster.

Jiraiza

That's what I'm doing too.

It helps to donate 40k to the Half-wit Inventor as soon as possible, since he gives you the Choice Satchet that spawns a moose at every savepoint. It makes getting around much faster.

Duly noted. I'm looking forward to the side quests again though. Curious what else kind of story bits I can pick up from them on a second run of the game.

Absolutely loved the ending sequence. The final bosses, final battle, credit sequence, orchestra, player messages, save-data sacrifice truly moved me.

Overall, I find that the game sends a somber, powerful message that everything is connected, yet finite. Little changes shape the world around us, even if we don't see them in our lifetime. Even without humanity, androids carry on, even without androids... etc.

I'm happy that 2B, 9S, and A2 are free from the previous cycle now, living on a blank slate of a world.

Makes one wonder of the possibilities.

JayEH

Was going to do 100% of the side quests then saw I need 95% unit data for one side quest and have to upgrade all weapons for another. Nope.

Jiraiza

Was going to do 100% of the side quests then saw I need 95% unit data for one side quest and have to upgrade all weapons for another. Nope.

You can pretty much buy all the mats for the weapon upgrades, so it shouldn't take that long. You'll definitely need a wiki for the unit data stuff, though.

I actually got the weapons done midway through route C, without any particular farming. Pascal's shop helps...

Was only able to get 93% on unit data though

Samaritan

Finally beat the game, so I've got A/B/C/D/E. I loaded back into random chapters to go fight Emil finally but now his home is locked off no matter which chapter or character I visit in from? I unlocked his home at, like, chapter 6 or 7 so this seems really odd to me?

Caim

Finally beat the game, so I've got A/B/C/D/E. I loaded back into random chapters to go fight Emil finally but now his home is locked off no matter which chapter or character I visit in from? I unlocked his home at, like, chapter 6 or 7 so this seems really odd to me?

You need to go to his shop everytime to get that door to open because whenever you load a new chapter because the dialogue resets.

Top Bottom