• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Samaritan

So upon finishing routes C/D/E I'm cleaning up upgrading my remaining weapons and getting the last bit of unit data, but I'm having difficulty farming for upgrade material, in no small part because all of the high-level enemies around the Tower seem to have disappeared when I load into the game via chapter select? I've tried multiple chapters with both 9S and A2 and they're always just missing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Caim

So upon finishing routes C/D/E I'm cleaning up upgrading my remaining weapons and getting the last bit of unit data, but I'm having difficulty farming for upgrade material, in no small part because all of the high-level enemies around the Tower seem to have disappeared when I load into the game via chapter select? I've tried multiple chapters with both 9S and A2 and they're always just missing. Does anyone have any ideas?

You could try any of the "heading to the Tower" chapters, but I think any enemy you encounter in the A2/9S chapters are pretty high level either way.

Just can't stop thinking about this game, whether it's the story or listening to the OST.

One of my favourite moments in the entire game was the opening sequence to route B, seeing the factory sequence from the perspective was really clever, also I love how it starts you playing as the robot trying to get oil for its friend (to which is reference again later).

I've gone back to Horizon for the meantime but the second I finish that I'm going to do a new play through I think.

N° 2048

Just can't stop thinking about this game, whether it's the story or listening to the OST.

One of my favourite moments in the entire game was the opening sequence to route B, seeing the factory sequence from the perspective was really clever, also I love how it starts you playing as the robot trying to get oil for its friend (to which is reference again later).

I've gone back to Horizon for the meantime but the second I finish that I'm going to do a new play through I think.

Where are you listening to the OST?

ZangBa

Well I got all 5 main endings, definitely one of the best games ever made yet again. I feel like I missed some things. Like, I'm not 100% clear on 2B's role being the backdoor. And I don't really understand who made that AI thing at the end or how it came to be, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

For people who are still confused after beating it..

This link really helped me spell it out for me.

http://twinfinite.net/2017/03/nier-automata-story-and-all-endings-explained/

. Like, I'm not 100% clear on 2B's role being the backdoor.

I dont think 2B was the backdoor into the bunker, she was a unit used to destroy any other unit that got close to the truth (clearly though this didn't go to plan in the end).

The actual backdoor into the bunker was always there, the machines only activated it when adam and eve had been destroyed and YorHa was about to try and "end the war" for real.

ZangBa

Are you referring to something else? Like the Bunker backdoor?

From what I understood, she was supposed to keep killing 9S when he gets close to finding out all that shit. I thought that was what the Bunker backdoor meant, but I think I confused myself since I kind of speedran through.

Jiraiza

From what I understood, she was supposed to keep killing 9S when he gets close to finding out all that shit. I thought that was what the Bunker backdoor meant, but I think I confused myself since I kind of speedran through.

The backdoor is more related to the end of the YorHa project, while 2B or 2E's role was to kill 9S when he ends up learning too much about the truth behind the entire project. Note that she's already killed him several times before the events of the game.

The bunker backdoor was so the machines could upload a logic virus and destroy YorHa (and by extension the bunker) in one fell swoop. Hence keeping the lie hidden and using the data for the next set of androids.

The main issue with this was when 9S was able to keep 2B and himself immune from the virus (well atleast himself eventually).

BTW earlier I went back at 9S and found 2B's flight unit and that message....was really sad.

Man this game is melancholy in so many ways (2B/9S, Pascal, etc).

mollipen

Like, I'm not 100% clear on 2B's role being the backdoor.

7cc.jpg

ZangBa

Ok, thanks for the explanations. I also looked at the link and somehow missed the lore behind A2 deserting. I think I understand everything except why/how the cycle even exists in the first place.

Caim

Is there a name yet for the PGW 2015 trailer song?

I don't think it is in the jukebox either.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it, was the only one I didn't pick.

Stalk

I've only just taken in that Emil's song has lyrics... I really need to pay more attention.

Not bad for a song that originally went alongside you blowing a village up...

Samaritan

Cleaned up what little I had left last night, including the secret boss, and Jesus Christ Yoko Taro. I feel like a husk after that fight. Way to dethrone Sif as the saddest boss fight in recent memory.

Jiraiza

Cleaned up what little I had left last night, including the secret boss, and Jesus Christ Yoko Taro. I feel like a husk after that fight. Way to dethrone Sif as the saddest boss fight in recent memory.

It's kind of nice how the dialogue differs a little from character to character. I finished the question on 2B and she reacts a bit differently from A2. Haven't tried 9S.

Samaritan

It's kind of nice how the dialogue differs a little from character to character. I finished the question on 2B and she reacts a bit differently from A2. Haven't tried 9S.

That's a really nice touch isn't it? I love how A2 refers to Emil as "round thing". I still need to do it as 2B, but I don't think my heart can take hearing Emil's dialogue a third time. T_T

TissueBox

Didn't get to Emil before my save offering unfortunately, definitely hope to get to it next round. (sigh) *prepares tissues*

He references Kaine in his dialogues with both 2B and A2, right? I'm very curious if he still does with 9S.

Jiraiza

How do I fight Emil? (Also, what level will he be?)

Gotta pillage his little home in the caves. And then you have to get all the weapons and upgrade them all to level 4. Then you'll get the second Emil boss quest.

He references Kaine in his dialogues with both 2B and A2, right? I'm very curious if he still does with 9S.

I don't think he'll be saying anything different with 9S.

On another note, I didn't even realize the vibrate option had more 9S dialogue during 2B's configuration. Damn pervert.

https://my.mixtape.moe/mhfmzb.webm

He mentions Kainé while playing as 9S. God, that line sent chills up my spine. Julie Ann Taylor's delivery is absolutely phenomenal, as it's always been.

I'm disappointed he doesn't mention Nier. It would have given credence to my crackpot theory, but also Emil was in love with him.

iron pipe +4 and some offense mods trivializes the game

A lot of things trivialize the game, unfortunately.

Jiraiza

I'm disappointed he doesn't mention Nier. It would have given credence to my crackpot theory, but also Emil was in love with him.

A lot of things trivialize the game, unfortunately.

He does mention Nier actually. Just not by name. In Japanese, he says "ano hito" or "that person" which was localized to "my friend who blah blah".

Little things I loved about the story:

- The fact that humans created androids in their own image, and we saw that the aliens did as well. It explains why they had domed heads (with their inner design furthermore resembling them.)

- The robots and androids have been reusing parts and materials off each other for hundreds of years, meaning other than being physically different, both couldn't have been more similar to each other. Was Adam and Eve also partly Androids because of this?

- 21O becoming more softer to 9S as the game progresses, and we finally learnt that she was starting to see herself as 9S' big sister, because all she wanted was to have a family.

- The Opera Singer Robot was probably in love with Satre, and it turned her mad with grief at his attitude.

- The glowing orb that was crying out for Mommy at the tower is probably the 'soul' of Grun, the huge robot that destroyed the carrier.

There's many more, like 2B's relationship with 9S and I just love the story.

Question though, did we ever learn why we had to kill the Yorha betrayers?

So, okay. I get the that the game is themed around from the end to the beginning -- a sort of representation of how Yoko Taro handles his narratives.

But, some questions. Either I was too dumb to pick up on it or something.

Why was Emil's head in the machine life form?

The aliens invaded earth long after humans died, yes -- but why did they make the machine lifeforms in the first place? How exactly did they die?

I think it's to do with when he fought the aliens, maybe they captured and enslaved one of his clones?
That makes sense. But to be clear, this is the same Emil who runs the shop, right? Because he references that, but I don't know if he is sharing memories with other clones.

Slater

Banned
Taro did something really intresting with the Brother/Father Nier in this game. There both referenced in weapon stories but father's is a whole story told by Yonah, and brother only gets one part of a story saying he gave up his existence which is obviously ending D.

I think there implying that in the fathers timeline he only got ending C and didn't save Kaine, which makes sense from his characters perspective and his relationship with Kaine/Yonah in that version.

Meanwhile brother got ending D-E which also makes more sense cause his relationship with Kaine was much more built up as explicitly romantic making that huge sacrifice fit him more.

Also the DLC NEEDS to be a post game shopping date

Satch

Banned
the little black haired yorha boy from the desert quest was in the castle while i was playing as a2 but he didnt lead to anything else

wtf was that

Jiraiza

- The robots and androids have been reusing parts and materials off each other for hundreds of years, meaning other than being physically different, both couldn't have been more similar to each other. Was Adam and Eve also partly Androids because of this?

There's many more, like 2B's relationship with 9S and I just love the story.

Question though, did we ever learn why we had to kill the Yorha betrayers?

The machines were simply trying to become more human, the androids were merely tools to achieve that. So it would be more accurate to say Adam and Eve were born to resemble humans more than androids. Though arguably, androids are the most human creatures in the NieR world right now.

Deserters are killed without exception.

The aliens invaded earth long after humans died, yes -- but why did they make the machine lifeforms in the first place? How exactly did they die?

I think the machines were made in response to Emil. They were originally based on him anyway because they look like him behind the armor. Check the zombie bipeds to see what I'm talking about.

2B9S is the GOAT OTP of the year.

the little black haired yorha boy from the desert quest was in the castle while i was playing as a2 but he didnt lead to anything else

wtf was that

I don't think those S models are the same android.

Hektor

They should do a kickstarter for Grimoire Nier, the Audio CD and Automata's grimoire equivalent if they can't be arsed to take this minor risk themselfs

Japan gets all the multimedia, and US gets nothing since they won't take the extra effort to translate them and bring them over. Sad times. Good thing I know Japanese!

yeah I have had to import all the books and stuff :(

I know some japanese but I am actually getting better at reading them. I just refer to the fan translations when I need them. Still have a ways to go though

They should do a kickstarter for Grimoire Nier, the Audio CD and Automata's grimoire equivalent if they can't be arsed to take this minor risk themselfs

Yep. Agreed. Just weird to me that they do the novella for D3 but not for this.... At least bringing it west I mean. Maybe due to how well it is selling we might get a few things.

Top Bottom