• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Petrichor

So in summary:

Concept Art:

gs_Harvest_Crimson.jpg

Reality:

Concept Art:

Reality:

Concept Art:

Reality:

Why.

Naked Lunch

Any word on them adding a non-derp CTF variant to matchmaking? You know, one that doesn't show the flag carrier to everyone on the map at all times. Grab the flag and the entire map is on you like a magnet. Dumbed down trash and CTF is really all Ive ever played Halo for. 1 Flag CTF would be nice too - not this extraction nonsense.

Havok

Why didn't they throw in a classic map from H2 or H3 in the map pack? I would love to have Terminal and Highground back.
Because those old maps would probably play like crap with the way 343 changed how Halo plays with 4. Imagine Midship with Global Ordnance, one team is handed a Sword every once in a while, or Lockout where sniper spawn wasn't consistent. Plus, both of those maps you listed shone in asymmetric objective gametypes. Halo 4 has...zero of those.

I'm a big fan of remakes in general, but I'm afraid that they'd play really poorly in the context of what Halo is at the moment.

Anything to reduce Exile's and Ragnarock's dominace over the BTB playlist is a good thing. I've only played Meltdown twice, and Vortex a handful of times. Barely anyone votes for the best map in the game either (Longbow).

Played Vortex once in all my playtime in BTB, personally I can see why no one would want to play it after playing it once.

Havok

What do specializations do?
I'm level 37, do I need to be level 50 to select one?

Does it just give you a extra armor set?
Armor set awarded along the way, emblem set upon selecting the specialization, and an extra perk (tactical/support mod) upon completion. Selected at level 50, then 60, then 70, and so on. Ten additional progression levels apiece that add to your Spartan Rank. Eight of them in total.

All eight available to select if you bought the Limited Edition, just two if you're a regular edition user (pretty dumb, right?) unless you played between the 6th and the 20th, in which case Microsoft will be sending out codes soon to unlock the six LE specializations for selection.

nateeasy

Banned
Armor set awarded along the way, emblem set upon selecting the specialization, and an extra perk (tactical/support mod) upon completion. Selected at level 50, then 60, then 70, and so on. Ten additional progression levels apiece that add to your Spartan Rank. Eight of them in total.

All eight available to select if you bought the Limited Edition, just two if you're a regular edition user (pretty dumb, right?) unless you played between the 6th and the 20th, in which case Microsoft will be sending out codes soon to unlock the six LE specializations for selection.

omg when?

Fuchsdh

That Anniversary map pack should've been saved for this game ;[

They wasted it on Reach!

I don't think most of them would have worked with default sprint--only one I can think of that wouldn't be destroyed is Timberlands.

As much as I do like Meltdown, I wish it were larger to take me back to Ice Fields. The Halo PC BTB maps were truly massive.

I've heard by the end of the month, so any day now, I guess? I'm not sure if they ever specified.

The last time I remember them talking about specializations I inferred from their tone that they were going to be staggered unlocks based on how fast people were completing--so maybe another two would pop for regular SKU users, than another two, etc.

I was playing spartan ops when I saw this guy. His name was Requiem and his sr level was 127.

Then I saw his stats. Is this even possible?

I am having a hard time believing this is legit. His K/D would be a 9.2! There is no way. He boosted/cheated/hacked/glitched something.

Besides Valhalla, anyone else notice that flags in CTF are not placed in buildings? They are just chilling outside in a relatively open area.

With everyone rolling around with BRs and DMRs. Seems like a really weird decision to me.

def sim

The last time I remember them talking about specializations I inferred from their tone that they were going to be staggered unlocks based on how fast people were completing--so maybe another two would pop for regular SKU users, than another two, etc.

Is that so? I figured they were going to send us specialization codes, the same as the ones in LE's, over email.

Besides Valhalla, anyone else notice that flags in CTF are not placed in buildings? They are just chilling outside in a relatively open area.

With everyone rolling around with BRs and DMRs. Seems like a really weird decision to me.
If they were in buildings then everyone would just camp with camo and Boltshots.

Monocle

So is it fair to say that the artist(s) who designed Halo 4's helmets should be fired before they can ruin that aspect of Halo 5? Because seriously, half the helmets look goofy as hell, and the half that don't are mostly inferior updates to designs from earlier games. I can't believe this wasn't dealt with during production.

Here, let me boot up the game right now to tell you which ones are awful, at least among those I can currently see in my armory. OK: Defender, War Master, Infiltrator, Hazop, EOD, Raider, Venator, Commando, Ranger, Wetwork. That's 10 helmets that make my bowels rumble and my eyes water, and that figure doesn't even count pattern variants of the same designs. Also, out of charity I've omitted lame but tolerable in-betweeners like EVA (dat pointless face dent) and Orbital (cool skull bro). Defender and War Master look especially dumb. Who puts eye-, nose-, and mouth-like grooves in helmet visors? Seriously. Compare these to the clean planes and solid geometric forms of most Halo 3 and Reach helmets.

What happened? I'm pretty sure I haven't gone bonkers here. Some of those designs are objectively terrible. Oh, and female Spartan IVs look anorexic. Check out those skeletal arms. Someone should have smuggled a few extra cans of Space Spam onto Infinity. I mean Jesus, those girls look about ready to crumble under the weight of their hideous attire.

Frankie, I know I can trust you to do something with this information.

Tokubetsu

So is it fair to say that the artist(s) who designed Halo 4's helmets should be fired before they can ruin that aspect of Halo 5? Because seriously, half the helmets look goofy as hell, and the half that don't are mostly inferior updates to designs from earlier games. I can't believe this wasn't dealt with during production.

Here, Let me boot up the game right now to tell you which ones are awful, at least among those I can currently see in my armory. OK: Defender, War Master, Infiltrator, Hazop, EOD, Raider, Venator, Commando, Ranger, Wetwork. That's 10 helmets that make my bowels rumble and my eyes water, and that figure doesn't even count pattern variants of the same designs. Also, out of charity I've omitted lame but tolerable in-betweeners like EVA (dat pointless face dent) and Orbital (cool skull bro). Defender and War Master look especially dumb. Who puts eye-, nose-, and mouth-like grooves in helmet visors? Seriously. Compare these to the clean planes and solid geometric forms of most Halo 3 and Reach helmets.

What happened? I'm pretty sure I haven't gone bonkers here. Some of those designs are objectively terrible. Oh, and female Spartan IVs look anorexic. Check out those skeletal arms. Someone should have smuggled a few extra cans of Space Spam onto Infinity. I mean Jesus, those girls look about ready to crumble under the weight of their hideous attire.

I don't like most of the armor in the game. I love the design work they have going on everywhere else but whoever did the armor definitely went to Late Era World of Warcraft sword & armor design school. Sharp edges on everything! points everywhere and awkward fits at awkward angles all the time!

GrizzNKev

Banned

Here, Let me boot up the game right now to tell you which ones are awful, at least among those I can currently see in my armory. OK: Defender, War Master, Infiltrator, Hazop, EOD, Raider, Venator, Commando, Ranger, Wetwork. That's 10 helmets that make my bowels rumble and my eyes water, and that figure doesn't even count pattern variants of the same designs. Also, out of charity I've omitted lame but tolerable in-betweeners like EVA (dat pointless face dent) and Orbital (cool skull bro). Defender and War Master look especially dumb. Who puts eye-, nose-, and mouth-like grooves in helmet visors? Seriously. Compare these to the clean planes and solid geometric forms of most Halo 3 and Reach helmets.

Are you on something? Because you failed to include every helmet on your list. In fact, none of the armor designs make any sense. At all. Including the Chief's retconned, nanomachine-powered Mark VI. The lone butt plate. The huge gaps. The scaly under armor. It all looks terrible. It doesn't feel... heroic or iconic.

Mindwipe

While I agree the vast majority of the new helmet designs are shit, at least there are some remaining from older games that are nice. Meanwhile there are no nice chest pieces, and nothing even resembling those from earlier games :-(

And man, Shatter really is a poor shadow of it's concept art :-( :-(

Tokubetsu

While I agree the vast majority of the new helmet designs are shit, at least there are some remaining from older games that are nice. Meanwhile there are no nice chest pieces, and nothing even resembling those from earlier games :-(

And man, Shatter really is a poor shadow of it's concept art :-( :-(

Real talk, I hate EVERY chest piece except the one with all the pouches. Soldier I think it's called?

FyreWulff

I'm really curious if this is true or not. I thought they only did Forge and its environments.

http://www.gamezone.com/products/ha...s-role-in-halo-4-expands-far-beyond-the-forge

""We did a whole lot of stuff," Certain Affinity President and Creative Director Max Hoberman told us. "We were on Halo 4 for 18 months or so. We actually had all hands on deck for the majority of that time so kind of full blown engagement on the multiplayer side of things." "We were full blown co-development for multiplayer in Halo 4. We did a whole bunch of multiplayer maps for the game, all of the Forge maps, the Forge feature maps, and a bunch of game modes including Dominion," he explained. ""

And a list of maps that support Dominion, which might indicate which maps CA did:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44751754&postcount=512

Ragnarok
Exile
Meltdown
Vortex
Longbow

Kunohara

I just can't read this thread anymore. It is just going to make me more angry.

How the flying fuck do you guys think the helmets are ugly? I think they are the best ones yet.

How the fuck do you guys want descoping rather than what we have now?

You want plasma grenades and the plasma pistol out of BTB? Are you fucking high? That's the whole fucking point of the pistol.

I'm glad none of you design games because holy shit you guys would be fucking terrible at it. Please stay the fuck away from game design.

i-Lo

Finished Requiem yesterday I believe and I have to say... like all other Halo games before, this one also has an absolutely awful checkpoint system.

How the flying fuck do you guys think the helmets are ugly? I think they are the best ones yet.

You want plasma grenades and the plasma pistol out of BTB? Are you fucking high? That's the whole fucking point of the pistol.

I'm glad none of you design games because holy shit you guys would be fucking terrible at it. Please stay the fuck away from game design.

I agree with all of these except maybe descoping. I wish there was a combination of the two, maybe after two or three consecutive shots being descoped or something like that. Right now the only issue is with sniper, usually if it's long range and they don't get hit fast enough they can usually recover from the aim knock off and get the head shot. I think the descope after consecutive shots would hurt snipers a little more and not effect DMRBR battles as much.

IHaveIce

Banned

lol yeah what do we think to have a more classic halo vibe back. Got it, keep calm.

Also the older games where this stuff wasn't there were developed by bad designers? Do you want to say that?

Helmets are just opinions, but I also dislike them, so many without a visor.. urgh

pringles

I agree with all of these except maybe descoping. I wish there was a combination of the two, maybe after two or three consecutive shots being descoped or something like that. Right now the only issue is with sniper, usually if it's long range and they don't get hit fast enough they can usually recover from the aim knock off and get the head shot. I think the descope after consecutive shots would hurt snipers a little more and not effect DMRBR battles as much.
I don't mind the absence of descoping EXCEPT when it comes to snipers. Getting killed by a sniper hs while I'm pumping him full of dmr shots is BS.
Descope on sniper, flinch with BR/DMR would be a good compromise imo.

I don't mind the absence of descoping EXCEPT when it comes to snipers. Getting killed by a sniper hs while I'm pumping him full of dmr shots is BS.
Descope on sniper, flinch with BR/DMR would be a good compromise imo.

Yeah, I just wish it was a mix of the two. Usually a sniper gets a few chances to shoot before they are downed or they get the HS. I think the problem is more with them having multiple chances to get the HS. I think they should get maybe two chances total to keep with balance, but I think it should sort of be treated like the covie sniper with how it overheats. Instead of it overheating because the sniper is shooting too fast it would be nice if they get descoped from being shot too much too fast. It would still descope them and give them less chances, but they still get a chance or two to get the HS.

I think it would keep a marginal skill gap and a chance of fairness to it.

I see that you haven't visited the Community thread. In comparison, this thread is a gentle breeze of communication.

Haha, seriously. This thread is nothing compared to it.

Crazyorloco

This thread seems to have descended into a bitchfest. Has the shiny newness worn off already?

I still love the game. It's still shiny for me. Some people need to accept this isn't the old halos, or just move on. There are other games. It hasn't even been month after release. I just enjoy the game for what it is and await future 343 updates/fixes/maps with patience. Now if it takes too long to implement changes that improve the product, then I'll bitch too.

I see that you haven't visited the Community thread. In comparison, this thread is a gentle breeze of communication.

lol so true.

Top Bottom