• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxed Dualshock 4 controllers out in the wild!

todd360

are...are we seriously bitching about the controllers package? You know the thing that we cut open and throw in the trash. Are you people collecting unopened controllers?

Miguel81

are...are we seriously bitching about the controllers package? You know the thing that we cut open and throw in the trash. Are you people collecting unopened controllers?

I don't care about the packaging, but I don't throw it in the trash either. Do many here do that?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
51Rgl%2BqgGfL.jpg

That is terrible as well.

I can't believe people are actually bitching about packaging for a controller as if that negatively impacts their game playing experience.

4ex.gif

I like package design from a design perspective, sue me that I don't like it. It won't affect my gameplay experience what so ever, I just don't like the design.

VanWinkle

I can't believe people are actually bitching about packaging for a controller as if that negatively impacts their game playing experience.

4ex.gif

What's the big deal? It's ugly packaging. It's not like I care in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't bring up that the packaging is ugly in some thread that has nothing to do with it or anything.

btkadams

When is NA getting the coloured controllers. I'm considering importing from Amazon UK but it's pretty expensive with shipping. Any better options?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Well since it's posted I guess we gotta discuss something. I suppose I'm not too surprised that the discussion has veered towards packaging. I have a feeling that it's gonna get real ugly here on GAF through the holiday season.

It will be interesting to witness the body count after the holidays.

Oh, for the record I'm in the don't give a shit about the box camp. We are getting very close I can almost smell my pre order.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What's the big deal? It's ugly packaging. It's not like I care in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't bring up that the packaging is ugly in some thread that has nothing to do with it or anything.

Stating an opinion means you're a terrible person, especially since you tried to hide it by lying about excitement when the packaging is clearly eating at your soul. When you go on your packaging fueled murder rampage later, we'll all know who saw the warning signs.

stupidfuckingneogafgif.gif

Amir0x

Banned
I don't care about the packaging, but I don't throw it in the trash either. Do many here do that?

Controller packaging? I can't even imagine... what exactly would you save? It's a ripped plastic shell when you're done, ugly for display, ugly for collection, ugly for anything really.

This packaging is definitely uglier than the DS3 packaging, but like... it's going in the trash for me. The packaging, that is. I understand saving console boxes sometimes, but the actual controller boxes.... that I don't get. If many people save those, especially with how they're packaged nowadays, that's news to me. But I guess it shouldn't surprise me: some people save everything.

leakey

Controller packaging? I can't even imagine... what exactly would you save? It's a ripped plastic shell when you're done, ugly for display, ugly for collection, ugly for anything really.

This packaging is definitely uglier than the DS3 packaging, but like... it's going in the trash for me. The packaging, that is. I understand saving console boxes sometimes, but the actual controller boxes.... that I don't get. If many people save those, especially with how they're packaged nowadays, that's news to me. But I guess it shouldn't surprise me: some people save everything.

We'll see who's laughing when I have finished my clam shell packaging armor set. It's gonna be all the rage.

dreamfall

Are they selling them at GameStop now?

May be worth picking up early! Just to mess around with, get a feel, and get excited about November!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Are they selling them at GameStop now?

May be worth picking up early! Just to mess around with, get a feel, and get excited about November!

I assume this is why Sony let them out early. To give their more excited fans a chance to spend $60 on a controller they wouldn't necessarily have bought after they got the console.

DogMeat77

I assume this is why Sony let them out early. To give their more excited fans a chance to spend $60 on a controller they wouldn't necessarily have bought after they got the console.

Not a bad game plan. My 2nd DS4 purchase is dependent on if I pickup Knack or not. However, if I saw this on the shelf right now I'd probably pull the trigger. I wouldn't mind giving it a go on PC and PS3.

Spinluck

Of all the things people are complaining about, the fucking packaging.

I'm pretty all the packing for the 5 DS3's extra controllers I bought this gen are either at a garbage plant or in my storage room. I only keep the boxes of my consoles, because feels.

I would totally go out and buy one if I ran across one, but I don't think they're out. Looks like inventory at a warehouse.

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong, might go looking tomorrow. But this town sucks so I probably won't find shit.

wizzbang

Banned
Yep, when I move my PS3 to my office I'm probably going to connect a DS4 and use it exclusively.

Really hope these and the camera come out early so I can cancel my Amazon preorders and use my BB credit.

Ok all you guys wanting to use this PS3 just back the fuck up and STOP.
The controller does NOT work properly on the PS3.
The playstation button doesn't work. Only one of the start / select (options / share) buttons work.
It doesn't work wirelessly
In some games, even when cabled, it asks "where's the controller?"
We don't know if sixaxis works.
We don't know if vibrate works.

It is currently no good to use on the PS3, a very VERY small handful of simple games will use it and you'll probably still need a DS3 nearby for other stuff.
I would love for it to work so fucking bad (and I don't mind the DS3) but you fellas just need to calm down.
PC owners however, might be smart to grab one, within 6 months there will probably be a good driver for it, with touchpad and sixaxis support.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Not a bad game plan. My 2nd DS4 purchase is dependent on if I pickup Knack or not. However, if I saw this on the shelf right now I'd probably pull the trigger. I wouldn't mind giving it a go on PC and PS3.

If I had more money lying around and/or wasn't a solitary gamer, I'd buy one immediately. I am excited to use one with my PC, but I can wait until I get the console.

DogMeat77

The playstation button doesn't work. Only one of the start / select (options / share) buttons work.

It is currently no good to use on the PS3, a very VERY small handful of simple games will use it and you'll probably still need a DS3 nearby for other stuff.
I would love for it to work so fucking bad (and I don't mind the DS3) but you fellas just need to calm down.
PC owners however, might be smart to grab one, within 6 months there will probably be a good driver for it, with touchpad and sixaxis support.

You sure are concerned about how others spend their money.

wizzbang

Banned
You sure are concerned about how others spend their money.

I'm just trying to warn these folks who might think this thing actually is a viable option for their PS3 that sadly, that is not the case right now.
Trust me, if I could buy one right now to use on my PS3 for "dat next gen feel" I'd pick one up today.

Shadownet

Banned
People who are whining about the DS4 box. At least they're easy to open. Have you ever open one of the new DS3 and Xbox 360 controller box? It's a piece of cake.

And plus the molded plastic let you feel the face buttons before buying. It's a nice little feature.

Has anyone determined why this is happening or if it's an isolated incident yet? If they're actually being rolled out, I'd love to pick one up. Need a replacement for my incredibly old 360 pad/PC controller.

DogMeat77

He's right, though, that it's not a fully functional replacement for a PS3 controller at this time.

Never disputed that.

It's more concern over how people assume and don't always fact check, no one cares about others money.

Fair enough.

I'm just trying to warn these folks who might think this thing actually is a viable option for their PS3 that sadly, that is not the case right now.
Trust me, if I could buy one right now to use on my PS3 for "dat next gen feel" I'd pick one up today.

Fair enough. I guess telling people to "back the fuck up and stop" just wasn't the best way to articulate a point in which you were sincerely trying to help people. My apologies for misreading you.

Has anyone mentioned how ugly the packaging is yet? I mean plastic and cardboard? Who fucking thought of that idea? Whoever did should be fired immediately.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
All I've heard so far is FIFA which got patched to disallow wired controllers in September 2012.

Not sure how many other games got a similar patch, but I'm guessing the compatibility for DS4 will be quite broad on PS3.

Yeah, I would imagine that more games than not will be compatible. I was just forewarning him in case he happens upon a game it doesn't work with and assumes the information was wrong.

It's also compatible with the PC straight out of the box.

Yeah a simple "only some buttons work right now, not all of them." would have sufficed.

Hopefully Sony updates PS3 to include basic support in the future. Will buy one early anyway though. Maybe keep it under my pillow?

wizzbang

Banned
Fair enough. I guess telling people to "back the fuck up and stop" just wasn't the best way to articulate a point in which you were sincerely trying to help people. My apologies for misreading you.

I actually do care about other people wasting money, I'm like a little ferengi, the thought of wasting beautiful gold pressed latinum makes me feel ill.

But currently it's fully functional plug and play for PC, minus the touchpad and sixaxis right?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Same here, but I guess some people think it's weird.

It's not weird if you anticipate moving someday and want to use those boxes to protect your controllers. Otherwise it's hoarding, and that's weird. Trust me, I know. I have a closet full of boxes I really shouldn't be keeping.

Top Bottom