• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sensible rpg character designs in video games

Let's see: she looks 15, huge tits, microscopic hot pants that leave half the ass exposed, let's show some thighs because modern anime trope, pointless thin fabric on her hips that makes it look like she's wearing a thong underneath. I hate everything about this design. And the rest of the XC2 ones I've seen aren't much better.

It's so bizarre to me that the first XC in Wii was one of my favorite RPGs I've ever played and yet in physically repulsed by this sequel. What happened?

Actually this XC2 character is the sort of shit that comes to my mind when someone says "otaku inspired". Not the badass and sensibly clothed red haired you were quoting.
alot of the clothes in xenoblade 1 were worse than this

This is one ding I have with Xenoblade 2. It feels like the character designer is conflicted between going to ecchi fanservice and going to more "standard" JRPG, so they had to compromise with a form-fitting top and a short-shorts bottom.

My libido, of course isn't complaining.
half the costumes for fiora and sharla were ecchi fanservice

dan2026

DCNz4tsVoAAAqhA.png:large
I don't really get piss poor designs like this.

There is a way to make sexy, attractive characters without them looking absurd.
A lot of the women in the Witcher are sexy, but at least they dress appropriately to their situation.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013

You could make all the characters in Xenoblade mostly naked, but the main designs weren't ridiculous like in the new game.

¡HarlequinPanic!;240743772 said:
The cast of FFVIII is probably Nomura at his most restrained: most of the player characters are wearing clothing that seems downright comfy.

I would agree except for 2 aspects. 1. Squall's jacket not covering his back always bothered me. 2. Zell couldn't decide if he wanted to wear pants or shorts, so he wore something in between.

DemWalls

I don't really get piss poor designs like this.

There is a way to make sexy, attractive characters without them looking absurd.
A lot of the women in the Witcher are sexy, but at least they dress appropriately to their situation.

I'm not trying to defend that design, but I don't think that's the right approach when criticizing it. With the Witcher you can do it since its style is pretty realistic, but what's "appropriate" in a world with giant swords, girls that turn into weapons and flying titans?

I'd just say the design isn't particularly brilliant, even for the usual JRPG cheesecake.

Deft Beck

I'm of the opinion that "realistic" designs for clothing tend to result in some very boring looking characters in games where you usually are swinging swords and magic bolts around all the time.

Why not go all the way? I'd rather stare at the back of someone with purple hair than someone in a plain brown leather tunic.

Not gonna deny that. But those are optional equipment. What we're talking about is Pyra's default getup. While Xeno 1's default female outfits showed skin, they never felt too over-the-top.

george_us

Monolith producing games with awful awful character design? I don't believe it.
Kind of funny that Xenoblade Chronicles X has the least ridiculous character design despite all the hate it gets. Elma's
true form
is the only thing that raised my eyebrow.

Top Bottom