• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here Comes the Next Xbox {Many Xbox 720 Details - Paul Thurrott article} [Updated]

Thurrott reporting on this essentially confirms that Xbox will have some form of always-online aspect to it.

He's one of the best sources we can get about MS internal plans...he knows a lot of people.

And his wording is clear:
The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use.

So no internet = can't use the next Xbox. Simple as that.

Yes and no. Sure it's convenient to have some sort of DRM security in place for the developers, you as the consumer falls short as if a network goes batshit crazy, you'll be affected from even accessing single-player mode.

Ergo; Diablo 3?

Second, piracy is always going to happen. Hell I wouldn't be surprised with this type of network reliant console, LV2 can be accessed more easily as that's a gateway for it's system local network OS and authentication.

Well, if they manage to block basic functionality (i.e. windows functionality) when someone is disconnected, they won't be able to get in and really be able to work with it, and even if they did figure it out, they'd still need to be online to run it.

499 is what I expect for both the PS4 and Durango.

The subsidized price makes no sense as it would be cheaper in the long run.

Never bought a subsided phone?. Lot's of people does even if they end paying like 300€ more in the long run.

I think it makes sense. People already pays for Gold, they won't see it as an aditional cost because they would pay for it anyway.

Maybe you'll still be able to play games in a limited capacity. It'll just be like if your smartphone or tablet lose internet connection: they become largely useless.

They're going to have to do something with Xbox Live to justify still charging for it. Requiring every game to have some sort of integrated online functionality regardless of whether or not they're multiplayer would qualify. And it would be something you lost access to when the console goes offline.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sony hasn't talked about price yet right? Does anyone expect the PS4 to be cheaper than that?

No, and the thing is they're going to get beaten up at retail if their core model or main model is even $399 compared to the low entry point for the 720 being $299 even subsidized. People simply see the bottom line.

farisr

Do people not look for deals when shopping for live? I've never paid more than $40 /year for Live.

That's not the point. The point is that MS would price it so that buying a console at regular price + buying XBL at regular (yearly) price for 2 years = cheaper than buying a subsidized console at cheaper price + 24 months contract for XBL.

Their regular yearly price is $60/year. Doesn't matter if you can find it for cheaper somewhere.

It's like MS points, 80 points = dollar. That's the currency. Sure I can get the points for cheaper than that, but it doesn't mean that 80 points reduce in value when buying stuff off their store.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Never bought a subsided phone?. Lot's of people does even if they end paying like 300€ more in the long run.

I think it makes sense. People already pays for Gold, they won't see it as an aditional cost because they would pay for it anyway.

I think he means that buying the subsidy would cause Gold to effectively only cost $20 a year.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If it really does use Windows 8, that explains why they'd go always online. Otherwise people can rip/copy and pirate them out the fucking ass.

Requiring online authentication constantly would make sure that doesn't happen.
Not any more than being based on the Win8 Kernel makes WP8 or OSX kernel makes iOS a haven for piracy. I don't think the Durango is going to run anything like WinRT.

onQ123

No entertainment box is good news if true.

Gaming should always come first.

? how would that even effect gaming?

it would be for people who want the entertainment stuff that the Xbox offers without paying for the gaming stuff I don't see how that would effect the games.

lol51

How can you enforce a $299 sub model if you can freely use the system without verification through internet sign-in?

Einbroch

Banned
Maybe you'll still be able to play games in a limited capacity. It'll just be like if your smartphone or tablet lose internet connection: they become largely useless.

They're going to have to do something with Xbox Live to justify still charging for it. Requiring every game to have some sort of integrated online functionality regardless of whether or not they're multiplayer would qualify. And it would be something you lost access to when the console goes offline.
Well it's not like you need Gold to play your Durango games. No way would they be that stupid.

91lVVHw.jpg

x-Lundz-x

when is the last time you guys used a console that had no ethernet cable plugged into it ?

My Xbox and PS3 have been connected since day one you bet. Guess what? They still let me play single player games if my internet isn't working.

If the new Xbox will not let me play any games at all if the internet is down, that is about as draconian as it can get.

I'm thnking the two-year plan might actually be cheaper as a marketing move by Microsoft. Make sure they've got you locked in for the next two years and all that.

ekim

I'm guessing an initial sign in to register the game and then you can play offline. And you'll need a unlock key to play used games.

Basically something in the middle of all of the worst case scenario rumors

I guess that makes the most sense... but contradicts the rumors about it.

Reiko

Banned
? how would that even effect gaming?

it would be for people who want the entertainment stuff that the Xbox offers without paying for the gaming stuff I don't see how that would effect the games.

It just shows that the Xbox division is still focused on gaming!

499 is what I expect for both the PS4 and Durango.

The subsidized price makes no sense as it would be cheaper in the long run.

Yes it can't be 300$ + only 240$ for the 2 year contract. Only way this would work out for MS is, if you have to renew your contract every year.

I think the timer before the console blocks you out of your own game that you legally bought with your hard earned money maybe have been extended and it's not 3 minutes anymore.
The block it's still there but "Less Draconian" but still Draconian, just less...

Kame

Well, if they manage to block basic functionality (i.e. windows functionality) when someone is disconnected, they won't be able to get in and really be able to work with it, and even if they did figure it out, they'd still need to be online to run it.

Not going to explain hardcore how you can easily override those 'basic' functionality but the main point is this:

More likely this will be based on the x86 architecture.

The windows 8 core he talks about is not the same running windows 8 OS on your desktop but will be different for console use.

DRM- Security, no matter how you look at it, the developers benefits; consumer falls short as they will really really rely on a reliable network and the developers servers as well.

McHuj

I'm thnking the two-year plan might actually be cheaper as a marketing move by Microsoft. Make sure they've got you locked in for the next two years and all that.

Could very well be. You're much less likely to subscribe to another gaming service (like PSN) and chances are your online purchases will on Live. Live is more of a mechanism to lock you into their ecosystem in this case.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
$299 with subscription means MS knows you'll be online for a minimum of two years, being bombarded with ads and offers. So MS probably expects those consumers to spend more digitally and is willing to subsidise them a little more

The $499 console buyers will probably be online, but some won't (unless it really is required) and won't necessarily have a gold sub, so they are potentially less valuable to MS

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
How can you enforce a $299 sub model if you can freely use the system without verification through internet sign-in?
Uhh, through a contract?

I still pay for my phone contract if I only ever use wifi and whatsapp.

I do wonder if the apparently high price point compared to the rumoured hardware specs means that Microsoft might be doing the unthinkable and not going for a loss leader strategy this gen. MS are in an increasingly shaky position product-wise (if not financially) and I'm sure they'd rather be making money from day 1 than sink money into an expensive flop.

Foil

when is the last time you guys used a console that had no ethernet cable plugged into it ?

All the time.

I only plug my ethernet cable in when I want to play online multiplayer or download something off the store. Otherwise I'm offline.

Bullza2o

Good to see concrete details about this, finally!

These details doesn't really sound too appealing to me. $500 is too much for me, and the online requirements isn't good.

If they do price it like this, maybe Nintendo really won't do a price drop (assuming PS4 is similar to Xbox price).

Sounds like it'll be like the current PS3, X360, and Wii U (or any online-connected mobile device or Steam) where they need to be connected to the network to purchase digital content, download, and update. Assigning accounts and authenticating licenses for physical purchases is probably the big new one outside of streaming the remainder of 'instantly playable' downloads/installations of games. I doubt the seriousness of rumors that claim that no online connection means a purchased and installed game cannot be played.

Wow at him calling always having to be connected online Not-draconian. What a fucking douchebag. Internet goes out = can't play games is fucking disgusting.

DaBuddaDa

Yes it can't be 300$ + only 240$ for the 2 year contract. Only way this would work out for MS is, if you have to renew your contract every year.

Have to renew your contract? What do you mean? You're contractually obliged to always hold an Xbox contract with Microsoft for perpetuity? What?

Pretty much the last three years at my University, where consoles are blocked from connecting to the internet.

An always online/'connected' console would have been useless to me.

Adam Orth, fired for showing the psychology of the people working at wacky world 2 months early.

God I want to see how they spin this. It must be the most worked on spin pitch in the history of spin pitches!

Caffeine

Xbox live gold expected to be $10 a month?

its actually $10 a month now if you pay monthly from a debit or credit card I was shocked when i heard this too because my friend pays monthly i called him an idiot because he could just buy a $60 1 year card instead.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
1. There is not going to be a system where your game IMMEDIATELY stops working if you lose your connection.

2. However, there MAY be a system where your game stops working if you lose your connection for a significant amount of time.

3. You will need an always online connection to be able to use the Xbox (boot games, services, XBL, etc.)

Draconian.

Einbroch

Banned
You also can't sell your Durango if you get the subsidized model. Well, I suppose you could, but it would make no sense.

How do they enforce this policy? It's not like a phone carrier where the store has access to the phone holder's account. How will Wal-Mart/Target/Best Buy/Mom-and-Pop Shops sell a subsidized model?

Top Bottom