• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Struct09

They made a small update that seems tailor made to my needs. When you're listening to something on Bluetooth headphones and put the phone in airplane mode it will keep the BT radio on and continue playing what you're listening to, on iOS 10 and earlier it would kill the BT radio and you'd have to manually turn it back on while in airplane mode. This is a great convenience for me because I put my phone in airplane mode while heading into the gym because otherwise it burns battery trying to find a signal.

Maniel

Banned
iOS 11.0.1 is out now. It fixed the bug where spotify wouldn't show up on my lockscreen for me. I'm going to have to test battery life tomorrow.

SOLDIER

Restarted my iPad, and yeah there was definitely a dimming difference before. It’s now as bright as I remembered it to be.

I hope I don’t have to do this every time. All the auto-brightness stuff is turned off, so it shouldn’t happen again barring this being a borked update.

They made a small update that seems tailor made to my needs. When you're listening to something on Bluetooth headphones and put the phone in airplane mode it will keep the BT radio on and continue playing what you're listening to, on iOS 10 and earlier it would kill the BT radio and you'd have to manually turn it back on while in airplane mode. This is a great convenience for me because I put my phone in airplane mode while heading into the gym because otherwise it burns battery trying to find a signal.

Why not just turn of cellular when you go to the gym?

honestly iOS 11 has convinced me i'm never going to buy a laptop again.

split-screen makes my real work easy enough and consuming media on it is so nice.

SOLDIER

The one thing I’ve had to restart my iPad for more than once is the Smart Keyboard. There’s been at least three occasions where it doesn’t work at all, forcing me to restart.

Anyone else have this problem?

youtube also released an update to their app. Wasn't youtube doing stuff in the background the reason for some people's battery woes?

yeah, there's no reason for YouTube to be running the background. Kind of suspicious that they were at all.

Weird. Got update on phone but not iPad

Was your iPad on the public beta? Gotta remove the beta profile (and restart) before the update shows up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I doubt it, at least not on the iPhone. As I said before, I believe it was an intentional choice because several iOS features (Handoff, AirDrop, Universal Clipboard, Instant Hotspot, etc.) use wifi (via their Multipeer framework which combines wifi and bluetooth to do a custom kind of wifi direct). They want to make sure people can use these features without having to understand why they work.

Maybe a double-tap or 3D Touch option can provide a Control Center shortcut to completely turn it off.

So why not have the default be ‘dont connect me to Wi-Fi’ - still keep the local systems that require Wi-Fi as a carrier, just stop connecting to routers. Surely that’s the logical behaviour for a Wi-Fi toggle button?

Wi-Fi is generally a pain on Iphone. If it connects to a hotspot I’ve used before but that requires sign in (usually just pressing ‘continue’ but still requires triggering a portal page), it’ll often just block data use - it isn’t using LTE because it’s connected to a known Wi-Fi hotspot. But you havent authenticated through the portal so no data there either

It shouldn’t be too difficult to have a policy that keeps the LTE data connection going until the Wi-Fi actually sees that there is an internet connection?

It shouldn’t be too difficult to have a policy that keeps the LTE data connection going until the Wi-Fi actually sees that there is an internet connection?

It does. It's called Wi-Fi assist.

tcQ56M9.jpg

Giolon

The duration of the long press is far longer than it was.
And as for 3D touch, that'd be great ... but not on iPad :)

It's actually not. As soon as the link goes into hover mode for drag and drop, you can let go instantly and get the pop up menu. You don't have to long touch until the pop up menu appears.

safari on iOS and OSX is considerably faster/smoother after both OS updates.

iOS 11 overall UI is faster which is nice on a 6S.

I dont like the much faster scrolling speed in Safari though. is there a way to change scroll speed?

Red

I got my 8 plus today and I noticed the stock mail app still stretches all the way to the edges of the screen. On my 7 plus the top corners are rounded. Bug?

I still can’t understand why they made it so I can’t clear all notifications anymore and just “older” ones wthout unlocking, pulling down Notification Center, locking, unlocking, and pulling down Notification Center. This is still,the only way to get th X for clear all to appear for all notifications and not just older ones.

j-wood

It does. It's called Wi-Fi assist.

I don’t have that option under cellular. Is it carrier specific?

Also, was it with iOS 11 that you could make double taps for each AirPod something different? Like double tapping right activates Siri, and left does a different command.

mokeyjoe

honestly iOS 11 has convinced me i'm never going to buy a laptop again.

split-screen makes my real work easy enough and consuming media on it is so nice.

Certainly feeling this way on my iPad Pro. For my portable computing needs it's actually a much more practical and productive device.

My next computer might be my first desktop since 2001.

Was your iPad on the public beta? Gotta remove the beta profile (and restart) before the update shows up.

Ah, thanks for pointing this out. Mine was too.

KingKong

I am not a fan of the new Podcasts app

maybe I use podcasts differently from everyone else but why would I want a right scrolling recently played section to always be on the main tab? and why is it showing a podcast I'm in the middle of listening to as recently played. who signed off on this thing

Pepiope

I don’t have that option under cellular. Is it carrier specific?

Also, was it with iOS 11 that you could make double taps for each AirPod something different? Like double tapping right activates Siri, and left does a different command.
I don't think it is. It doesn't pop up when you scroll all the way to the bottom of cellular?

It should be on by default though.

mokeyjoe

The one thing I’ve had to restart my iPad for more than once is the Smart Keyboard. There’s been at least three occasions where it doesn’t work at all, forcing me to restart.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, on my 10.5 Pro.

I don't need to restart though, just restart the app, at least that's how it's been so far. Like it'll work in one app and not another. It's really inconsistent and weird. Clearly a bug.

I am not a fan of the new Podcasts app

maybe I use podcasts differently from everyone else but why would I want a right scrolling recently played section to always be on the main tab? and why is it showing a podcast I'm in the middle of listening to as recently played. who signed off on this thing

I think all of gaf bailed out on podcast app back in iOS 9.

I think all of gaf bailed out on podcast app back in iOS 9.

Nah, it's fine for me. I mostly listen to podcasts on my Mac (via iTunes) though, so the iOS app only gets used during long drives.

My only real criteria are:
1. does it allow me to customize how and if podcasts get downloaded?
2. does it sync between my Mac and iOS?
3. can I find an episode without too much hassle?

It's "yes" to all those, so it meets my needs. But I can see how if you're subscribed to 15 podcasts and you listen to them only on the iPhone, it may not work so well.

And I agree that the Recently Played area makes no sense for podcasts.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What's everyone using instead? I can't believe what they've done to the Podcast app, it's unusable now

Overcast. Smart Speed is invaluable.

Yeah..
I've been using Castro for a while which I used to love back in the day, but the new version is just not working for me. The new Castro is super interesting. Its like Mailbox for podcasts. It has a Queue and a Feed. You're supposed to go through your feed and sift through what you want to listen to. You either mark it to your Queue or flip it to the archive.

But.. idk. I can't micromanage my Podcasts like that.
Thinking about going back to Overcast.

Blackhead

Redarse
Shocking battery drain stats:

https://www.wandera.com/blog/ios-11-battery-drain/

What is shocking to me is their graph for IOS10 users. 240 minutes to empty? that's what I've been complaining about on my old iphone6 using safari and gaf. 4-5 hours and you're done.

What happened to 6 to 8 hours of wifi browsing time?

And OMG at that IOS11 drain graph.
Why are iOS 11 users running on empty?

wandera said:
Battery drain is a common iOS problem that usually pops up immediately after a major iOS upgrade release. This is partly due to Spotlight re-indexing and other behind the scenes shuffling.
Ok... *nods head*
wandera said:
New functionality in iOS 11 could also be draining the life out of your phone faster. Animoji and iPhone X’s FaceID hardware use face-scanning technology relying heavily on the camera which is a notorious battery sucker. The hardware enabling this advanced facial recognition (A11 Bionic GPU) in the iPhone X could be the reason there is such a dramatic difference in battery decay rate.
lol wut?! *closes tab*

Why are iOS 11 users running on empty?

Ok... *nods head*

lol wut?! *closes tab*

despite the badly written article, it is based off an App they control that corporations appear to have installed. https://www.wandera.com/why-wandera/how-it-works/

"We looked at a subset of 50,000 moderate to heavy iPhone and iPad users in our network running iOS 10 and iOS 11 to compare the average battery decay rate over the past three days."

Top Bottom