• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

LordOfChaos

Now that ios 11 is out, what happens to ios10 on my iphone 5 which isn't conpatible with 11 for what ever reason?

No security updates, but apps will keep working on it for a good while. Could still keep going if you're fine with the performance, albeit without security coverage.

yeah, can't really find anything different in 11.1 so far. which is sort of odd for an xx.y release. Though I imagine whatever release direct payments are in won't actually see direct payments until public release.

The same is possibly the case with iCloud iMessage sync, I suppose.

Maybe it's just gonna be a rapid turnaround to 11.2 in November or something.

mil6es

11.0.1 has fixed nothing on my 7+, phone is unstable AF, still crashing and lagging all over the place, safari barely works and the music app rest my phone twice... Oh and I can't clear notifications....

Fake edit: why the fuck does my phone take me to the lock screen when I swipe down for notifications!?!?!?!!

11.0.1 has fixed nothing on my 7+, phone is unstable AF, still crashing and lagging all over the place, safari barely works and the music app rest my phone twice...

It sounds to me like you might have a more serious problem than 11. You might consider wiping the device and starting fresh.

HF2014

Well. Update to 11.0.1, and here is what i think. One thing i didnt turn off when i upgraded to 11 was the Cloud. With this new upgrade, i decide now to turn off the cloud. And so far, my battery level seem about normal on my ipad air2. Now using my about for about 2 hours of web browsing, watch about 20 minutes of youtube in there, and battery atm at 85%. I think my icloud was off when i upgrade to 11, but i think the upgrade put it on. Disabeling it seem to have fix the battery drain for me, or is it 11.0.1? So far, looking good.

Kaelan

Yikes man, my battery drains so freaking fast. Glad its pretty widespread so it should be fixed soon. Learned my lesson not to upgrade right away.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Is it a feature or a bug that now my phone takes like half a second to fade in to the screen when I pick it up instead of doing it instantly like it used to?

Sean

Banned
Is it a feature or a bug that now my phone takes like half a second to fade in to the screen when I pick it up instead of doing it instantly like it used to?

It's a "feature," they gave it a new animation/transition where it fades starting from the brightest area of your lock screen wallpaper.

i rock a toshiba chromebook 2 from a couple years ago that i use to browse the web and video chat with my gf. it's starting to slow down massively tho and the battery is kinda shooting the shit.... and here comes this ipad pro with multitasking.. could I video chat with my gf and browse gaf at the same time without a hitch on that thing?

I had Safari open, put my phone in my pocket and it almost BURNED my leg off! Shit got super hot. Then I noticed major battery drain. WTF with this update?

i rock a toshiba chromebook 2 from a couple years ago that i use to browse the web and video chat with my gf. it's starting to slow down massively tho and the battery is kinda shooting the shit.... and here comes this ipad pro with multitasking.. could I video chat with my gf and browse gaf at the same time without a hitch on that thing?

What will you use to video chat?

Giolon

You can use Skype, or any other service that provides video chat. But Skype won’t let you maintain video and multitask with other stuff

Supposedly Skype supports side-by-side in calls and video since 2015. With iOS11 that means you could shrink it to 1/4 of the screen. I don't know if it supports picture in picture.

Supposedly Skype supports side-by-side in calls and video since 2015. With iOS11 that means you could shrink it to 1/4 of the screen. I don't know if it supports picture in picture.

I can tell you from weekly use audio will work in multitasking but video will not

Edit: but now you’re making me doubt myself, hold on

Edit 2 electric boogaloo: yep, it says “camera is disabled in split screen”

Guess Who

Banned
I don't know of any technical reason Skype couldn't make video calls work in Split View, so it's odd to me if they don't. Seems like it'd be a really useful thing for them to support.

You can use Skype, or any other service that provides video chat. But Skype won’t let you maintain video and multitask with other stuff

thanks for the heads up... i guess i'll have to find another option. damn, was really hoping the ipad could fit the bill just because I like the form factor

I still can't believe the fact that they haven't fixed the search function in iBooks since this latest update.

I need to do a search for specific terms in a huge pdf to produce reports.

Now when I search for 20mm all I see is

20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm

X100

WHERE IS THE FUCKING CONTEXT FROM THE REST OF THE LINE THAT USED TO BE THERE IN THE SEARCH RESULTS, SO I CAN TELL WHICH INSTANCE OUT OF THE 100+ THAT EXIST IN THE FILE IS THE ONE THAT I WANT????????

AAAAAGAGHHDHHRHDBBRU

samn

I still can't believe the fact that they haven't fixed the search function in iBooks since this latest update.

I need to do a search for specific terms in a huge pdf to produce reports.

Now when I search for 20mm all I see is

20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm
20mm

X100

WHERE IS THE FUCKING CONTEXT FROM THE REST OF THE LINE THAT USED TO BE THERE IN THE SEARCH RESULTS, SO I CAN TELL WHICH INSTANCE OUT OF THE 100+ THAT EXIST IN THE FILE IS THE ONE THAT I WANT????????

AAAAAGAGHHDHHRHDBBRU

Send them feedback

grmlin

Looks like the Youtube and Google Photos apps destroyed my battery in the background, don't know what happened there, never had this issue in the past.

I'll keep an eye on that. Battery looks better today.

Minamu

nothing. apple has never forced any device to upgrade. it will continue working as is.

Stop using your 5, it won’t get security updates

No security updates, but apps will keep working on it for a good while. Could still keep going if you're fine with the performance, albeit without security coverage.

Thanks for the responses! I'll keep it as a backup but I ended up getting my gf's old Galaxy S6 Edge as a handmedown :lol Never been one for Android and I slightly miss my oldphone already xD

Fliesen

Thanks for the responses! I'll keep it as a backup but I ended up getting my gf's old Galaxy S6 Edge as a handmedown :lol Never been one for Android and I slightly miss my oldphone already xD

if the security updates are your concern, i don't think your S6 is going to receive many more updates either.
What version of Android is it running? Wikipedia says 7.0.
So your iPhone running iOS 10.3.3 might run more recently released OS version than your S6 edge ;) - though the S6 edge is certainly a way more exciting piece of hardware

Though i'm not all that well versed about whether or not Android rolls out security updates on a per-app basis. - like, an updated Chrome or messages app

Some of my commonly used apps resolution and screen size are messed up.

One developers reached out to me and said this is a common problem apps are having with ios11 and they are in a queue to get their update approved.

Anyone else heard similar messaging about apps or have a similar issue?

StuffRuff

11.0.1 has fixed nothing on my 7+, phone is unstable AF, still crashing and lagging all over the place, safari barely works and the music app rest my phone twice... Oh and I can't clear notifications....

Fake edit: why the fuck does my phone take me to the lock screen when I swipe down for notifications!?!?!?!!

Oh man I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been getting all of the above and its hugely frustrating. I left Android because of its on/off performance and if anything my 7+ is currently worse than my previous phones ever were.

Annoying as well because I feel like I can never tell people I experience issues because I normally get the same old response from half of them, "Oh well I never get anything like that/never heard of that happening/my phone's fine/etc". Oh well I guess my problem just must not fucking exist then, must be all in my head.

EDIT: And on the subject, I don't feel "Looks like you need to reset it and start fresh" is an acceptable solution, despite understanding its likely the only one that will work. I didn't pay the apple premium to have to completely rebuild my phone every OS release. This shit is meant to "just work".

Big Brett

Anyone having an issue with the music widget on the lock screen and in the control center? I'm on an iPhone 7 using Apple Music using Airpods, and for some reason it won't show me what's playing and won't let me control anything through the widgets.

Rebooting the phone fixes it temporarily, then it goes back to being greyed out and unable to tell what I'm listening to.

(Sorry, I haven't been able to keep up w this thread in the past few days so I'm not sure if anyone else is having the same issue.)

Anyone having an issue with the music widget on the lock screen and in the control center? I'm on an iPhone 7 using Apple Music using Airpods, and for some reason it won't show me what's playing and won't let me control anything through the widgets.

Rebooting the phone fixes it temporarily, then it goes back to being greyed out and unable to tell what I'm listening to.

(Sorry, I haven't been able to keep up w this thread in the past few days so I'm not sure if anyone else is having the same issue.)
Have you updated to 11.0.1? My Apple Music was taking over control centre even though I had Pocket Casts active but this has cleared up since.

Big Brett

Have you updated to 11.0.1? My Apple Music was taking over control centre even though I had Pocket Casts active but this has cleared up since.

I have. My issue is that is won't even show me what music is playing. Doesn't really seem like others are having the same issue, Google didn't lead me to any answers. Guess I'll keep troubleshooting.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
It's a "feature," they gave it a new animation/transition where it fades starting from the brightest area of your lock screen wallpaper.
Any way to turn this off?

Not a big deal but it feels weird.

Lima

I have. My issue is that is won't even show me what music is playing. Doesn't really seem like others are having the same issue, Google didn't lead me to any answers. Guess I'll keep troubleshooting.

For what it’s worth I have the same issue but with Spotify. It’s playing music but not showing up in the lock screen sometimes. Pretty annoying.

Vyer

Oh man I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been getting all of the above and its hugely frustrating. I left Android because of its on/off performance and if anything my 7+ is currently worse than my previous phones ever were.

Annoying as well because I feel like I can never tell people I experience issues because I normally get the same old response from half of them, "Oh well I never get anything like that/never heard of that happening/my phone's fine/etc". Oh well I guess my problem just must not fucking exist then, must be all in my head.

EDIT: And on the subject, I don't feel "Looks like you need to reset it and start fresh" is an acceptable solution, despite understanding its likely the only one that will work. I didn't pay the apple premium to have to completely rebuild my phone every OS release. This shit is meant to "just work".

That is not a reality of computing, no matter the brand or device. Sometimes a reload is the best way to get shit fixed. Tats always been the case.

the thing i hate most about notification center is that message previews act completely different now. You can’t have it hide the message and preview it in notification center anymore. It just has to preview it whenever it’s unlocked period.

Wimps

I'm amazed by the amount of bugs and shittyness in iOS 11. There are so many apps that crash and take ages to load. And I even overslept twice because my Bedtime alarm didn't went off.

Might be the volume though...

EDIT: Oh yes, and my biggest frustration is that the Music thing from Notifications only works once in a while. For Sonos, Spotify, Soundcloud and Apple Music. That shit just doesn't work.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Handoff wasn't working for me, but login out of iCloud and logging in again on both Mac and iPhone solved it, including the universal clipboard. Haven't tested it with the iPad yet

Top Bottom