• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Genocyber

I noticed about a week ago when using Twitter's native iOS app that the image quality and therefore image size are now very low.

Previously when posting a photo, the image quality was a lot higher.

Is there a specific setting within iOS 11 that will allow me to change the image quality?

I noticed about a week ago when using Twitter's native iOS app that the image quality and therefore image size are now very low.

Previously when posting a photo, the image quality was a lot higher.

Is there a specific setting within iOS 11 that will allow me to change the image quality?

I actually just saw an update to the Twitter app come up tonight that fixes high-res photo uploads.

I asked this in the other thread as well but is it worth getting a 2017 9.7 ipad over an iphone 6 now? I already have a decent phone(s7e) but i usually keep two.
I cant go over the ipad budget so 6s and above arent options for me.

My primary purpose is to just have something with an ios environment. Ofc the phone aspect still takes priority over a tablet.

Pepiope

I asked this in the other thread as well but is it worth getting a 2017 9.7 ipad over an iphone 6 now? I already have a decent phone(s7e) but i usually keep two.

My primary purpose is to just have something with an ios environment. Ofc the phone aspect still takes priority over a tablet.
The 6 has 1 GB of RAM. Not sure how much you'll enjoy that experience on today's iOS.

Christos

My battery on my 6S seems to be pretty much the same. Also, I love the new control center and how much customization it allows you to do.

grmlin

For me the battery is still fucked, even with the bugfix update.

Its just lying here on the table and I'm already down to 78% on my 7+. Normally I would be at least at 90% or something. Very disappointing

mrkgoo

For me the battery is still fucked, even with the bugfix update.

Its just lying here on the table and I'm already down to 78% on my 7+. Normally I would be at least at 90% or something. Very disappointing

How about you look in the battery section of the settings and find out what is causing the drain? I mean, it might be something you can't control, but maybe it can. For example, what if it's like FaceBook background processes? you could limit that function until Facebook puts out a fix.

And there may not be a fix as of yet. the bug fix update was noted as for an exchange issue.

Daffy Duck

Yeesh, this battery thing is no joke.

Haven't touched my phone this morning, did 8 updates and I am on 77% battery, normally it would 90%+.

emag

iPhone SE and iPad 2017 are the best bang for your buck right now. As noted above, 1 GB devices like the old Air, Mini 2/3, and 5s/6/6+ are not recommended.

Number45

Is there something that causes the dock to sometimes slide straight up from the bottom and at other times bring up the marker (so that you need to lift and drag up again)? Super annoying when it doesn’t drag straight up.

Fliesen

Is there something that causes the dock to sometimes slide straight up from the bottom and at other times bring up the marker (so that you need to lift and drag up again)? Super annoying when it doesn't drag straight up.

just like with control center before, or the notification drawer.

If an app is coded to be a 'full screen app' (like a game, or a full screen video player), you'll get the little 'latch' first.

It's meant to prevent you from accidentally evoking control center / notification center / dock in full screen apps.

this behaviour's been around since ... iOS 5 i think, when notification center was introduced in all its "beauty"
notifications-110607-3.png

okay I gave up using ios 11 on my iPhone SE, downgrade to 10.3.3 this morning, I left my phone at home in the morning with 75% and when I came home it's already 25% even when on battery saving mode.

SOLDIER

Somewhat off-topic, but is there a way to customize the preferences in Google Maps to leave out routes that use express lanes?

Last I checked, there was only the option to avoid tolls. I just want to leave out express lanes, as I’m tired of GM assuming I want to use them (I never do).

Red

None of my photos have backed up to my 8 plus after nearly 24 hours. I assume they’re not going to. I have iCloud Photo Library turned on. Do I need to do something else? Does photo stream also need to be enabled to have photos transfer?

Mr Swine

Banned
None of my photos have backed up to my 8 plus after nearly 24 hours. I assume they’re not going to. I have iCloud Photo Library turned on. Do I need to do something else? Does photo stream also need to be enabled to have photos transfer?

I have no idea how iCloud photo works. But did you do a backup of your old phone and then restored it on the 8?

Fliesen

dumb question, but have you tried restarting the phone? iCloud photo uploads sometimes just get stuck ...

Somewhat off-topic, but is there a way to customize the preferences in Google Maps to leave out routes that use express lanes?

Last I checked, there was only the option to avoid tolls. I just want to leave out express lanes, as I’m tired of GM assuming I want to use them (I never do).

Once you select a destination to drive to there’s a (...) button on the top right for options. Select Rote Options and it should give you the ability to avoid tolls, ferries, and/or highways. Also a switch to remember these settings. Is highway like express lanes? (For me in CA it’s freeways)

Fliesen

Yes.

I did last night, but no photos showed up. May as well try again.

also, iCloud photo has a really weird queue of syncing. Like, it would first pull all photos from the cloud before uploading photos taken on the device.

Also, while 24h sounds like a long time, i think it only syncs when:

you're both on WiFi and - while not in use - on a charger.

Red

also, iCloud photo has a really weird queue of syncing. Like, it would first pull all photos from the cloud before uploading photos taken on the device.

Also, while 24h sounds like a long time, i think it only syncs when:

you're both on WiFi and - while not in use - on a charger.
Didn’t know that. That might be why. Haven’t charged either phone since the 8 plus arrived.

jts

...hate me...
Didn’t know that. That might be why. Haven’t charged either phone since the 8 plus arrived.
If you pull/drag the photo gallery up, it should say whatever is the status of the sync on the very bottom. If it’s paused, or when was last updated etc.

Fliesen

If you pull/drag the photo gallery up, it should say whatever is the status of the sync on the very bottom. If it's paused, or when was last updated etc.

you need to be in the "Photos" tab, and not in "Albums -> All Photos", btw.

Red

If you pull/drag the photo gallery up, it should say whatever is the status of the sync on the very bottom. If it’s paused, or when was last updated etc.
The 7 plus says just updated, the 8 plus says upload paused. Nothing about downloading.

Fliesen

The 7 plus says just updated, the 8 plus says upload paused. Nothing about downloading.

plug it in and restart the phone, that should eliminate previously mentioned reasons why it might be stuck.

Then you have click on every x sadly :/

i started to curate my notifications a lot more.
There's certain notifications that should be on the lock-screen (like emails, missed calls, Instant messages) and add a red dot to the app, but have no real place in the notification history.
There's only very few notifications where it makes sense to have them stick around in notification history, imho.

Number45

just like with control center before, or the notification drawer.

If an app is coded to be a 'full screen app' (like a game, or a full screen video player), you'll get the little 'latch' first.

It's meant to prevent you from accidentally evoking control center / notification center / dock in full screen apps.

this behaviour's been around since ... iOS 5 i think, when notification center was introduced in all its "beauty"
Yeah, I should point out I'd noticed the same pre-IOS but found it infinitely less irritating because I didn't need the functionality as often as I do now it's the requirement for split screen etc.

jts

...hate me...
Upload paused means download also paused. As said, plugging it in should resume sync, but I think you can also tap it to force resume it (at least while on wifi).

Fliesen

Spotify just got updated - weren't a few of y'all having issues with it not showing up on the lock screen?

has that been fixed?

Red

plug it in and restart the phone, that should eliminate previously mentioned reasons why it might be stuck.

i started to curate my notifications a lot more.
There's certain notifications that should be on the lock-screen (like emails, missed calls, Instant messages) and add a red dot to the app, but have no real place in the notification history.
There's only very few notifications where it makes sense to have them stick around in notification history, imho.

Upload paused means download also paused. As said, plugging it in should resume sync, but I think you can also tap it to force resume it (at least while on wifi).
Thank you all for the replies. Plugging in the phone fixed the issue and most of my photos are now on the phone.

emag

Odds on seeing an 11.1 beta this week?

11.1 beta (for devs) is out, along with betas for the next point releases of High Sierra, tvOS and watchOS.

Probably public beta tomorrow. I really hope that 11.1 resolves the performance/battery issues with 11.0.x.

11.1 beta (for devs) is out, along with betas for the next point releases of High Sierra, tvOS and watchOS.

Probably public beta tomorrow. I really hope that 11.1 resolves the performance/battery issues with 11.0.x.

The 11.0 beta really helped out the first time right? Cant say im too hopeful for 11.1 considering 11 feels like it never came out of beta

corn_fest

So far my impressions of iOS 11 are that it sucks (6s Plus). Main complaints:

- Battery life seems to drain about twice as fast.
- Lock screen / notification center likes to become invisible, hiding time and notifications until restart.
- Exchange email straight up doesn't work anymore.
- Zero useful new features.

Giolon

So far my impressions of iOS 11 are that it sucks (6s Plus). Main complaints:

- Battery life seems to drain about twice as fast.
- Lock screen / notification center likes to become invisible, hiding time and notifications until restart.
- Exchange email straight up doesn't work anymore.
- Zero useful new features.

Apple released 11.0.1 yesterday to resolve Exchange issues.

My iPhone 7+ battery managed eleven hours before having only 12% left and having to go on charge.

This is with applications off and three quick phone calls, one of which happened while my phone was plugged into the car (so charging). I've been too busy to use the phone for music or video or anything else like that today.

What in the screaming fuck, Apple.

Wonder when 11.0.1. is going to land in Finland. The beta was super stable for me, but since I updated to the stable things just stop working every now and then (apps usually just freeze or stop taking commands) and I have to reboot to get them back in order. Usually happens after switching between apps.

Seems like 11.1 doesn't include any user-facing features (not even the new emoji supposedly coming this fall), which is surprising. I have to assume those are getting added at some point or there's no good reason for it not to be 11.0.2 (unless there are some sort of significant backend changes, which would *also* be odd timing).

jstripes

Banned
Seems like 11.1 doesn't include any user-facing features (not even the new emoji supposedly coming this fall), which is surprising. I have to assume those are getting added at some point or there's no good reason for it not to be 11.0.2 (unless there are some sort of significant backend changes, which would *also* be odd timing).

Could be it has full support for the iPhone X.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yeah, can't really find anything different in 11.1 so far. which is sort of odd for an xx.y release. Though I imagine whatever release direct payments are in won't actually see direct payments until public release.

Could be it has full support for the iPhone X.

I thought everyone already assumed this? Correct, X will ship with 11.1. Pretty much what everyone has been saying from the start.

Top Bottom