• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

Toth

I really hope the Ritual of Chud happens in the movie. It would set up the second perfectly, especially if the
Turtle is there and warns Bill to kill It when he has the chance.

Timu

A 3rd TV Spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuMVXlYTYig

Nothing *too* new in this one, but still looking great.

Also, a new piece of official promo art:

20545363_1516231585063794_2925745559030763410_o.jpg
Dat ending though, lol!

I mean it's not like Texas Chainsaw 3D where we're supposed to believe that the main character is a 39 year old woman

While they could've stuck to the easy "primary colored" (primary would also work symbolically, yellow equals Georgie's raincoat, red equals Pennywise's balloons and blue equals the water/rain of the day Georgie disappeared) Legos (I think those been around forever), this one doesn't bother me. In Super 8, I think they talked about Rubix cubes, which weren't released worldwide until 1980, and Super 8 took place in 1979.

TC3D pissed me off because it could've been soooo easy for them to set the movie in the early 90s by just adding a few more era-specific things (their van almost looked old enough for back then), and there wouldn't have been NO problem. Setting a movie or series is harder when said movie or series is set within a town, cause there is a lot more you have to watch out for as far as getting everything to look true to the time period, but when set the movie out in the country, in the middle of nowhere, it's easier to make it seem era-specific, just a few "old" vehicles and get the costume and makeup designers make the characters look true to how people would look in that era and you've almost done.

Orgen

So are they omitting the adult section of the story? All I see in any of the trailers are kids.

2 movies: this one (the first) is the kids story. The second one will be the adults.

It's looking amazing. I need to check when it releases in Spain...

Besides the forehead cracking, the hair also looks like it's shaped a bit more into horns.

I wonder if he'll look worse/more evil as the movie progresses.
That's clever. Also the paint sticking up like horns over the eyes

===

A close-up comparison
I get that Curry's Pennywise is the one people have in their memory but you can really tell which one has the design with a movie budget and which had a TV movie budget. Curry's looks too human, which I guess works too, but I like how the one seems like the eldritch horror nature of It is just barely being contained behind that makeup and smile.

Super excited about this. It keeps looking better.

I stole some of those sunflower props from the set (3, in fact, which was very Bag of Bones appropriate).

I am SO jealous. I had plans to visit the Neibolt house and they took it down the week before I was supposed to go!

Jarmel

Banned
I get that Curry's Pennywise is the one people have in their memory but you can really tell which one has the design with a movie budget and which had a TV movie budget. Curry's looks too human, which I guess works too, but I like how the one seems like the eldritch horror nature of It is just barely being contained behind that makeup and smile.

I'm starting to accept the redesign, it looks like it's pretty good at the tone they're going for (one of a feral animal). I do need to see more of the scenes to see how much of the humorous stuff is still in there and how successful it is, although the Pennywise Show is a good start.

One thing though that I hate about the new design and that I can't get over is the buckteeth.

===

A close-up comparison

It's the teeth, forehead, and bottom lip that's really making the new Pennywise more impressive and probably close to the book's version.

Pennywise looks a liiiiiittle off for me but I think the movie looks very good. I am excited for it. The original truly spooked me growing up.

NekoFever

I'm starting to really like the new Pennywise too. The first teasers looked like they were trying too hard, but that's properly scary.

HiiiLife

Kinda wish I didn't see that image. Would've been creepy as hell to see for the first time in the movie. Which I assume would be near the end. He looks more demonic there.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
If you showed me this out of context I wouldn't even recognize it as a clown

The biggest issue I have with what I've seen. Hopefully these are just IT flexing its scary muscles and more normal clown pennywise is also featured, but, you know modern hollywood

I dont' know about this new IT remake. Like - I just don't feel like this is a clown I could hang out with, you know? Stretches believability.

===

A close-up comparison

I understand the different take this movie goes with Pennywise (and accept it, because for this take, it works), but Curry's "human-looking" Pennywise fit more with how It was described in the novel. Pennywise didn't look alien, it looked like a circus clown. He appeared to Georgie as just a "regular looking" clown that was said to be a cross between Bozo, Clarabell and Ronald McDonald, and jokes about how the storm blew the whole circus into the sewer. And that's not saying Pennywise didn't take the form of a scary clown (I remember descriptions where he has hollowed eye sockets and such), but the circus motif carried on throughout the story (how people would hear calliope music, smell cotton candy and popcorn, animal shit and such the presence of some of It's forms).

The biggest issue I have with what I've seen. Hopefully these are just IT flexing its scary muscles and more normal clown pennywise is also featured, but, you know modern hollywood

I expect the movie to use Pennywise to subvert that. Like, the whole town see's him doing what looks like normal clown stuff but the kids being hunted really see what he's doing.

If you showed me this out of context I wouldn't even recognize it as a clown

No snark intended, but I don't understand this.

What would you guys think this was without context? Generic demon monster?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
No snark intended, but I don't understand this.

What would you guys think this was without context? Generic demon monster?

Not generic, but yes? What's the point of being vaguely clown like? Why not go full on terror? The whole idea, as pointed out by many others as well as the source material, was to present something familiar, non threatening even, to lure children to it. This IT, doesn't even remotely fit the bill.

Not generic, but yes? What's the point of being vaguely clown like? Why not go full on terror? The whole idea, as pointed out by many others as well as the source material, was to present something familiar, non threatening even, to lure children to it. This IT, doesn't even remotely for the bill.
That might work in the 50s setting of the source material but a clown ain't going to lure in children nowadays. And definitely not in post-John Wayne Gacy 80s. That's going to be fresh in all these kids' minds

I like Curry's more as on the surface it doesn't look as menacing but soon as you look at the eyes and smile .... yikes.

The new version looks freaky from the get go.
Curry's looks like a serial killer on the surface. He definitely doesn't seem friendly or inviting IMO

Kevtones

I must be out of touch because this trailer did nothing for me. I should say that I generally hate trailers but this one went the wrong way for me and then some. Hope for the best.

Note: IT the original scared enough to go home from a sleepover when I was 6. I read the book when I was 10/changed my life.

hydruxo

I must be out of touch because this trailer did nothing for me. I should say that I generally hate trailers but this one went the wrong way for me and then some. Hope for the best.

Note: IT the original scared enough to go home from a sleepover when I was 6. I read the book when I was 10/changed my life.

So what did you not like about it?

Raptomex

I don't even like the horror genre but the original miniseries was awesome. Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid, though. Very excited for this. And it comes out on my birthday. Fucking eerie.

Not generic, but yes? What's the point of being vaguely clown like? Why not go full on terror? The whole idea, as pointed out by many others as well as the source material, was to present something familiar, non threatening even, to lure children to it. This IT, doesn't even remotely fit the bill.
The clown appears in the non threatening manner you describe like, once in the entire book. On the other hand, there are over a dozen other horrifying clown appearances, clown mixed with horror characters, lepers, monsters, etc. Your idea that pennywise is non threatening to lure kids is not supported by the text. First appearance with all of the losers club is a horrifying aspect that goes to their deepest fears, as with many other kids who are murdered by It, such as Eddie Corcoran.
On your side you've got maybe Georgie, and that's it.

Been reading the book and I like how the town of Derry is just as, if not more so, scary as It itself. It's like an American small town version of those folktale villages that sacrifice for another good harvest or Lovecraftian hamlets that quietly want to appease their god to survive another year. I've read books and seen movies and shows with that "town with dark secret" plot, but Derry is the best I've encountered in fiction so far.

I hope the movie can capture that

Been reading the book and I like how the town of Derry is just as, if not more so, scary as It itself. It's like an American small town version of those folktale villages that sacrifice for another good harvest or Lovecraftian hamlets that quietly want to appease their god to survive another year. I've read books and seen movies and shows with that "town with dark secret" plot, but Derry is the best I've encountered in fiction so far.

I hope the movie can capture that

It is a wonderfully realized place, that reminds in some of Lovecraft's better stories where he gives towns a wonderful sense of place and time. King has a talent in being able to depict time periods he really knows, especially with IT. There is a pervasive sense of "wrongness".

I am hopeful from the footage that this movie adaptation might be pretty great.

I read Revival and honestly that is probably his second best for me next to Green Mile or It.

GhaleonEB

Looks like they went more for the early 1900s clown look than a modern one in It's clothing and whatnot, perhaps to emphasize the fact that It has been around for a long long time

Yup. From the IGN preview a few pages back:

When the first photos of Pennywise were released, some were surprised by his look, which includes very old clothing that is nothing like the type of clown popularized in the 20th century, in the manner Tim Curry looked like in the miniseries. Said Andres Muschietti, ”The fact that this entity has been around for thousands of years... Aesthetically, I don't dig the 20th century clown. I think it looks cheap, and it's too related to social events and stuff and circus and stuff. Circus is fine, but I'm more aesthetically attracted to the old time, like the 19th century clown. And given that this guy has been around for centuries, I wondered myself why, why not, having an upgrade that was 1800s?"

Top Bottom