• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

I am so hyped for this movie I am now reading the book. I just bought it on iBooks last night. Never read it before. :eek:

Well, the book is very different. As are most King novels that later become movies or tv series.

Especially that one thing that happens at the end.

Yeah.... that will never make into any movie or tv series.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Love the book, love act 1 of the old mini series, still unsure on what I've seen of this. Is the junkyard scene in this (specifically the flying leeches)?

Snaku

Banned
Was in Walmart earlier and came across this...never thought I'd find a Pennywise shirt at Walmart of all places.

img_6351k7zzk.jpg

Snaku

Banned
I think Stranger Things really primed people for this. An R-rated horror movie where the main cast is a group of kids? And it's set in the 80s? This'll be the "something to scratch that Stranger Things itch until the new season" thing for people

They should have tried to work out a deal with Netflix to have the first 10 minutes of season 2 play before IT.

HiiiLife

This is gonna do crazy at the box office. I haven't seen so many people I know buzzing about a horror movie since the ring. Even people who don't care about horror movies are talking bout watching it. I'm excited.

I think Stranger Things really primed people for this. An R-rated horror movie where the main cast is a group of kids? And it's set in the 80s? This'll be the "something to scratch that Stranger Things itch until the new season" thing for people

oh shit that's so true.

Turin

Banned
I'm excited for this and I've had no prior enthusiasm or interest for anything related to IT. I like horror movies for the atmosphere and these trailers are scratching an itch for me.

hydruxo

Yeah it's coming at the absolute best time, this movie is going to make so much money.

The Void also tried to ride the Stranger Things wave.
Not really. The Void is riding the John Carpenter/80s practical effects horror wave. Nothing really similar to Stranger Things besides the cosmic horror vibe and small town horror

This is a close group of outcast kids trying to learn about and stop an evil from another dimension in a small town with a dark secret, set in the 80s. With one of the main actors from Stranger Things

Of course, Stranger Things was hugely inspired by Stephen King, so it's more that Stranger Things was reading the It wave rather than the other way around.

B33

Banned
IT was in production long before Stranger Things became a hit so it's more of a coincidence. The setting being updated to the 80s is so the adult losers club can be in the modern day like the novel was when it released in 1986.
That, and Fukunaga & Palmer, the writers behind the initial drafts, grew up in the 1980s.

GhaleonEB

Something I noticed on rewatching the trailer.

"What happens when another Georgie goes missing?"

Does that mean Georgie
gets pulled into the sewer rather than have his arm ripped off? There's a shot of the drain in the trailer after Georgie reaches in, but that might be misdirection. But that line makes me think he just gets pulled under.

Does that mean Georgie
gets pulled into the sewer rather than have his arm ripped off? There's a shot of the drain in the trailer after Georgie reaches in, but that might be misdirection. But that line makes me think he just gets pulled under.

That sorta sucks. I wanna see some shocking shit

Jarmel

Banned

Does that mean Georgie

There's a scene in the old script that describes what happens to him and it is very different.

It's a lot more violent. It has Pennywise just attacking Georgie like a wild animal through the grate and eating him. I'm guessing that there isn't anything left so Georgie is just missing.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, if this is going to be a hard R, that strikes me as something you would not change. But there's pretty clearly some freaky shit going on in the trailer, so I'm not too worried on that front. Georgie's fate is jolting partly because of
how young he is, how brutal his death is, and how early in the story it takes place. Just having him yanked under won't have the same effect.

Hoping I'm wrong.

There's a scene in the old script that describes what happens to him and it is very different.

It's a lot more violent. It has Pennywise just attacking Georgie like a wild animal through the grate and eating him. I'm guessing that there isn't anything left so Georgie is just missing.

WELL THEN. Moving right along...

GhaleonEB

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/03/31/the-death-of-a-great-american-horror-movie-cary-fukunagas-it

It talks about some scenes in the old script. It might be different now but since you brought it up and the tone seems consistent with certain elements being more violent and 'in-your-face', it's probably the same. It's also a great way to start the movie off.

Thanks, though I won't read up. I love the book but am staying relatively blind on the new version outside of the trailers and some interviews; reading about their approach but not the specifics. I was worried from that line that they'd watered it down, when it sounds like it goes the other direction. What I'd taken to be a potential disappointment swung the other way, so thanks.

Berkoff

Banned
Mama showed tonnes of promise, a lot of which was contributed to del toro at the time, so im happy Muschietti seems to have knocked it out the park. With a story credit from Cary Fukunaga as well, this always seemed like it was in good hands. I'm hyped!! Used to watch a taped version of TV original when I was younger, and devoured the book when I was probably too young to read it.

Jarmel

Banned
Thanks, though I won't read up. I love the book but am staying relatively blind on the new version outside of the trailers and some interviews; reading about their approach but not the specifics. I was worried from that line that they'd watered it down, when it sounds like it goes the other direction. What I'd taken to be a potential disappointment swung the other way, so thanks.

I'm kind of curious how some of this will play out in that whether it'll be seen as being over the top or just a more natural evolution to adjust to modern audiences.

Does that mean Georgie
The better include that shit. The leaked script set the tone real quick with
the whole cutting to the cat going ham on it's cat food tin while Georgie is getting thrashed around in the drain.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Does that mean Georgie

It could be, likely is, my faulty memory, but I think that line is in the book.
Didn't George go missing and was later found with his arm ripped off?

No. A guy actually sees him and runs out of his house to pull Georgie free. A guy pulls Georgie free, and it mentions the rain falling into his dead eyes. Fucked up shit.

Nope. Georgie starts screaming and the neighbors come running to find his body still outside of the sewer. They discover that he had his arm ripped off when he is turned over.

zeemumu

Does that mean Georgie

I assume what they meant by that was what happens when another kid killed by the clown goes missing. Pennywise doesn't always dispose of or eat the bodies

The better include that shit. The leaked script set the tone real quick with
the whole cutting to the cat going ham on it's cat food tin while Georgie is getting thrashed around in the drain.

Bruh, that's messed up, even more than ep2 of GoT this season.

This looks so good. I already can't wait for part 2. The scene where Beverly beats the shit out of Tom Rogan is one of the most cathartic things I've ever read.

Top Bottom