• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

jelmerjt

Woah. From a TV spot:

giphy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FRqxcozIQ8&feature=youtu.be&t=24

B33

Banned
I've warmed up to the new Pennywise and now I like the design a great deal. It's different than the mini-series and the book, but it feels true to the spirit of the character.

I've warmed up to the new Pennywise and now I like the design a great deal. It's different than the mini-series and the book, but it feels true to the spirit of the character.
I think it works that from a distance, like in that kid's show clip, it looks like a normal clown, but up close, he looks...off and unsettling

I really do think it's going to work pretty well in the context of the film itself.

It's a possible Ledger-as-Joker situation, where people just dogmatically cling to the notion there is never going to be anything that compares to Nicholson and this decision is just tryhard and dumb and missing the point.

And then you see why those decisions were made as a means to support the larger film and it locks into place and you're like "oh. Oh shit, okay."

i thought the new pennywise was pretty shit in both trailers but the tv spots have me a lot more positive about the new portrayal. liking the voice.

That host lady's got the "80s mom-hair" down. You don't see many modern made movies/tv shows set in the 80s that actually get that sorta style right. I remember when I was kid, a lot of my teachers and friends' moms had hair like that.

I love how different Cara Buono looked in Stranger Things compared to real life. Hair and makeup make a such a huge difference.

UrXceRcm.png
jfJrSpdm.jpg

Garlador

I think it works that from a distance, like in that kid's show clip, it looks like a normal clown, but up close, he looks...off and unsettling

Maybe it's just me, but from a distance, doesn't the face almost look like a skull? The dark colors around the eyes, nose, and mouth look skeletal from a distance.

Getting cautiously hyped. Though the "Pennywise screaming and jumping" moments in each trailer still feel kind of like a red flag. That and the focus on that awful "you float too" delivery.

Bruh, that's messed up, even more than ep2 of GoT this season.

Please no messed up things my horror movies.

I love how different Cara Buono looked in Stranger Things compared to real life. Hair and makeup make a such a huge difference.

UrXceRcm.png
jfJrSpdm.jpg

Haven't seen the show, but that pic is a perfect example of "80s hair" feeling fake. Way too shiny and smoothed. It needs to look slightly "messy" like in the gif.

hydruxo

Getting cautiously hyped. Though the "Pennywise screaming and jumping" moments in each trailer still feel kind of like a red flag. That and the focus on that awful "you float too" delivery.

Haven't seen the show, but that pic is a perfect example of "80s hair" feeling fake. Way too shiny and smoothed. It needs to look slightly "messy" like in the gif.

You should probably watch the show then, because it definitely does not look fake on there. Stranger Things does a great job overall of nailing 80s hairstyles.

Astral Dog

Isn't that what a clown is?
Yeah but IT is different :p

im not sure how to describe but it looks very goofy on that tv spot
I really do think it's going to work pretty well in the context of the film itself.

It's a possible Ledger-as-Joker situation, where people just dogmatically cling to the notion there is never going to be anything that compares to Nicholson and this decision is just tryhard and dumb and missing the point.

And then you see why those decisions were made as a means to support the larger film and it locks into place and you're like "oh. Oh shit, okay."
Yeah the movie could use him in many interesting ways, hopefully 🎈

Now you're just reminding me of all the stupid internet jokes back then about Ledger's casting.

"Lol gay cowboy joker lol"

Little late on that one.

voice over guy/pronunciation sucks. pennywise looked like a dog in the sewer.

but most annoyingly, they used lego colors that weren't available in 1989. green 2x4 bricks weren't introduced until 2000, and the light green not until 201x (lime) or 2001 (neon green). Killed that scene right away for me and took me right out. might just as well add minecraft lego, makes just as much sense.

It's not that bad, but could use a bit more frizz (even though Stranger Things gets the 80s look better than MOST other modern takes on the era). Watch The Goldbergs, they get it wrong. Stuff like that, the movies Take Me Home Tonight and Hot Tub Time Machine are just as bad.

It's kinda like a horror podcast I like listening to where they were talking about Stranger Things and mentioned there's a difference between actually TRYING to capture the era's look from "just modern people pretending to be from the 80s". I liken it to the difference of doing research on the actual era (the folks behind Stranger Things actually looked through era-specific yearbooks and such to get a better idea of how the kids looked and dressed so they could come off as believable to the early 80s) and just relying on popular trends (basically, binging VH1's I Love the 80s and thinking that's all you need to make a good 80s-movie/tv show).

The thing with THIS movie (It), they seem to have gotten the 80s look down like Stranger Things did. This sorta route should be the "go to" route for movie-makers that decide to set their movies in the 1980s. Do research, get a good feel of the era. Use your memories, but don't ONLY rely on your memories. Don't rely on pop culture as a crutch.

Question is, do you want your movie/tv show to look genuine to the era...

... or do you want you movie/tv show to look like one of those 80s-themed parties.

EDIT: the Lego thing don't matter to me. I was fine with the Rubix cube thing in Super 8, so yeah.

I think GLOW is a little bit better at 80s-era aesthetic accuracy than even Stranger Things is. Both of them manage to bridge the uncanny valley that separates "pretending to be from that era" to "being mistaken for being FROM that era" though.

It's not that bad, but could use a bit more frizz (even though Stranger Things gets the 80s look better than MOST other modern takes on the era). Watch The Goldbergs, they get it wrong. Stuff like that, the movies Take Me Home Tonight and Hot Tub Time Machine are just as bad.

It's kinda like a horror podcast I like listening to where they were talking about Stranger Things and mentioned there's a difference between actually TRYING to capture the era's look from "just modern people pretending to be from the 80s". I liken it to the difference of doing research on the actual era (the folks behind Stranger Things actually looked through era-specific yearbooks and such to get a better idea of how the kids looked and dressed so they could come off as believable to the early 80s) and just relying on popular trends (basically, binging VH1's I Love the 80s and thinking that's all you need to make a good 80s-movie/tv show).

The thing with THIS movie (It), they seem to have gotten the 80s look down like Stranger Things did. This sorta route should be the "go to" route for movie-makers that decide to set their movies in the 1980s. Do research, get a good feel of the era. Use your memories, but don't ONLY rely on your memories. Don't rely on pop culture as a crutch.

Question is, do you want your movie/tv show to look genuine to the era...

... or do you want you movie/tv show to look like one of those 80s-themed parties.

EDIT: the Lego thing don't matter to me. I was fine with the Rubix cube thing in Super 8, so yeah.

When I was watching Stranger Things I was watching people "playing the 80s". But maybe that had more to do with all the references and such, and not the look.

When I watched GLOW it felt more like watching something made in the 80s. I got flashbacks to the feel of watching the Friday the 13th movies. So GLOW did it really good. I thought.

I can't believe this project most likely turned out well/great after the behind-the-scenes drama.

IT was one of the first adult novels I ever read (11 or 12. Probably a bit too young...) and remains one of my favorites.

I can't stand the miniseries and everything looks tonally perfect.

Super excited!

Socivol

Love it.
The most terrifying moment in the original is still when they look are looking at the picture of the little town and pennywise comes out of nowhere and starts threatening the children.
The shower scene still scares me in real life to this day. I'm always weary of shower drains that looked like the one in the movie.

Spoo

The shower scene still scares me in real life to this day. I'm always weary of shower drains that looked like the one in the movie.

Scary scene, but hasn't held up nearly as well thanks to the effect they used (stop-motion / clay?) when Pennywise rips open the drainage pipe.

Scariest for me is probably either when Ben sees his Dad across the pond and you slowly start learning it's Pennywise (then grabbing Ben by the feet is some skeleton monster), or when Beverly goes home, finds the nice old Lady there, and she turns into ... a lot of shit.

eso76

Came here to say a couple random things.

- first thing I noticed is those Lego bricks and colours didn't exist back then. Maybe unofficial bricks ? :p
-Visually, it looks an impressive lot like how I imagined it when reading the book. Even though I've seen the older TV adaptation (twice) that hasn't overwritten my idea of how characters and settings should look.
Except John Ritter as Ben. When I read the book again, Ben was Ritter.
- the kids look absolutely perfect. Beverly looks exactly the way I always imagined her, it's almost scary.
- As many have said, Pennywise looks too menacing for someone that's supposed to lure in kids.
- I have no idea what King was thinking when he wrote that scene. I just..I don't know I'm still in disbelief after like 25 years.

Wasn't there a thread with adults casting suggestions/hopes and dreams ?

Jarmel

Banned
Oh god so Pennywise will be doing things to them in their sleep and in their bedrooms. This is going to bring back Nightmare on Elm Street memories.

Top Bottom