• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

border

I have lived 30+ years and never knew that there was some kind of weird sex scene in IT. I've never heard anyone talk about it at all when discussing the book or the mini-series.

For some reason though, since this remake got started all ANYONE wants to talk about is the weird sex scene that will obviously not even be in the remake.

Taramoor

Parts of it look pretty good, others are making me smh like that last shot.

Also, Pennywise looks absolutely fucking awful. He's way too forced and edgy.

Oh well.

This looks like an inversion of the old tv series.

Pennywise was borderline perfect in the tv series, but everything else was garbage.

This looks incredible, except for Pennywise.

Making Pennywise look like a scary clown totally misses the point.

_Isaac

Patrick hockstedder looks creepily just like I pictured him.

He looks a bit too modely I guess. Not that models can't be creepy, but it's not quite how I imagined him.

Pennywise was borderline perfect in the tv series, but everything else was garbage.

And what's the point?

At the end of the trailer, you can see Patrick Hockstetter being set on fire. This differs from his death in the book when It turns into flying leeches and drains his blood, I wonder how this new situation comes about in the movie.

And what's the point?
Clowns shouldn't try to look scary, they should be unassuming children's entertainers.

What makes them scary is the stranger underneath the makeup and the unnatural surroundings they are placed in.

Making Pennywise some bucktoothed deformed hillbilly with that forehead makes him appear less of a clown and just another generic movie monster

RRockman

Banned
Soo that whole bit in the sewers with the girl is still gone right? I still don't see the need for all of that in the original book.

good point. I'm liking these trailers but this Pennywise is trash

Shauni

I have lived 30+ years and never knew that there was some kind of weird sex scene in IT. I've never heard anyone talk about it at all when discussing the book or the mini-series.

For some reason though, since this remake got started all ANYONE wants to talk about is the weird sex scene that will obviously not even be in the remake.

Despite the popular miniseries, IT has always kind of flown a little under the radar in King's bibliography in comparison to his other horror works, and that's maybe why? But I will say I had heard about that scene beforehand, I honestly thought it was pretty common knowledge and was one always considered one of the weirdest and more uncomfortable things King ever wrote.

No, at no point has IT ever "flown under the radar" as anything. It was the most popular book in the world the year it was released, and has consistently sold ever since. The miniseries got the ratings it got because of the popularity of the book, and the popularity of the miniseries in turn fed further sales of the book, which, again, was at the time a giant fucking hit, especially considering how goddamned thick it was.

IT has always been one of King's most popular, most referenced, most well known works of fiction. There is no way "Flown under the radar" works as a descriptor for it.

Shauni

No, at no point has IT ever "flown under the radar" as anything. It was the most popular book in the world the year it was released, and has consistently sold ever since. The miniseries got the ratings it got because of the popularity of the book, and the popularity of the miniseries in turn fed further sales of the book, which, again, was at the time a giant fucking hit, especially considering how goddamned thick it was.

IT has always been one of King's most popular, most referenced, most well known works of fiction. There is no way "Flown under the radar" works as a descriptor for it.

Nah. I wasn't saying it was unknown or anything, but like when you compare it to stuff like The Stand, Dark Tower, Shining, Salems Lot, etc. others it's not as much talked about or as referenced in the King canon. Well, it is now since the new adaptation is coming out, but the majority of people probably talking about it now are more familiar with the miniseries than they are the book. The fact that a lot of people didn't know about that scene is a testament.

Despite the popular miniseries, IT has always kind of flown a little under the radar in King's bibliography in comparison to his other horror works,.

I doubt that. It's the book I've heard people talk about the most, and must be one of his most popular. When I talk to people about King and his work, IT is the book people first mention having read. It must be one of his most sold books.

Everyone my age seems to have a relationship to it (and/or the miniseries).

Nah. I wasn't saying it was unknown or anything, but like when you compare it to stuff like The Stand, Dark Tower, Shining, Salems Lot, etc. others it's not as much talked about or as referenced in the King canon.

No, that's wrong. IT has never "flown under the radar." It's always been a monster. It's one of his most referenced works, one of his most read works, and one of his most well-known works.

Shauni

I doubt that. It's the book I've heard people talk about the most, and must be one of his most popular. When I talk to people about King and his work, IT is the book people first mention having read. It must be one of his most sold books.

Everyone my age seems to have a relationship to it (and/or the miniseries).

The miniseries for most of them I wager. That's what the majority of people default to and, as poor as it is, it really prolonged the lifespan of the book.

Astral Dog

Nah. I wasn't saying it was unknown or anything, but like when you compare it to stuff like The Stand, Dark Tower, Shining, Salems Lot, etc. others it's not as much talked about or as referenced in the King canon. Well, it is now since the new adaptation is coming out, but the majority of people probably talking about it now are more familiar with the miniseries than they are the book. The fact that a lot of people didn't know about that scene is a testament.
IT is the Clown

Kingbrave

Link doesn't seem to work, but is that a best of list? I mean, okay, but a website list doesn't really matter to what I'm saying. Shields down, boys, I ain't saying IT is an unknown King book like the Regulators or something, just that over the years it's not been as read or referenced as some of King's other big works.

Sorry, I fixed the link.

Astral Dog

Yeah, and the name of the book lol. Unless you're saying the whole of IT is just defined by Pennywise. I dunno, I wouldn't go that far though
I mean it was the scary clown for alot of kids in the 90s :p

except the Joker of course, now that is THE CLOWN

Shauni

I mean its the scaey clown for alot of people in the 90s :p

except the Joker of course, now that is THE CLOWN

Oh yeah, sure, Pennywise is as iconic as anything King has done, no doubt. But even with that more people default to Tim Curry's miniseries portrayal over the book's generally more sinister and nastier characterization.

I think the only book by King I would expect to be more famous than It is The Shining, and that's mainly because of the movie.

Anecodtally, as someone who deals with selling used books at a Goodwill store, we get lots of his stuff. It sells fucking instantly. I mean, most of his stuff moves rather quick. But, It is the only one that moves so quickly I have yet to get a hardcover copy for myself (it has to be on the floor for so long before an employee can buy it).

Soo that whole bit in the sewers with the girl is still gone right? I still don't see the need for all of that in the original book.

No, it's in this movie. Why wouldn't it be?

I think the only book by King I would expect to be more famous than It is The Shining, and that's mainly because of the movie.

Anecodtally, as someone who deals with selling used books at a Goodwill store, we get lots of his stuff. It sells fucking instantly. I mean, most of his stuff moves rather quick. But, It is the only one that moves so quickly I have yet to get a hardcover copy for myself (it has to be on the floor for so long before an employee can buy it).

Yep, that's where most of my collection is from. I have every book except for some wolf novel and the newest Mercedes novel.

Kingbrave

No, it's in this movie. Why wouldn't it be?

King has said that The Stand sells and is more popular than any other novel of his by far.

They can re write the whole ending for all I care. I had no Idea wtf king was thinking with that cocaine fueled garbage.

One of my fab books otherwise. Kid portion of the story was always the best.

Shauni

Anecodtally, as someone who deals with selling used books at a Goodwill store, we get lots of his stuff. It sells fucking instantly. I mean, most of his stuff move rather quick. But, It is the only one that moves so quickly I have yet to get a hardcover copy for myself (it has to be on the floor for so long before an employee can buy it).

They just released a new hardcopy for the 35th anniversary btw, you may want to look into it.

Yeah, this is wrong tho

Like, what are you even basing that on?

General knowledge, really. You can just look at the reaction to this adaptation to see a lot of people aren't as familiar with it. The strong reaction to Pennywise not being like the Tim Curry's version, not knowing about the weird sex scene, and I don't think I've seen anyone even talk about the gay theme in parts of the book that show the intense homophobia in the town that Pennywise is implied to spur (I think all of that was omitted in the miniseries).

I think most people know It, but many aren't as familiar with the book itself than many of Kings other big works. I said Salem's Lot as one bigger than It before, but it's actually probably around the same level in the sense that everyone knows it, but they don't know the events of the books well, either not reading it or forgotten most of it.

-Gozer-

Have there been any parodies of IT?
Don't be a smart ass and say the mini series.

Examples like:
Simpsons Shining parody.
Rocko's Modern Life Shining parody.
The Critic Misery parody.
etc.

Werewolf
Mummy
Giant Bird
Leper
Giant eyeball
Bev's dad
Frankenstein monster
A bunch of flying leeches

A few others, but those are probably the most memorable.

I think It also appeared as...

Jaws
Dead Dorsey Cocoran
Dead Belch
Giant Dog
Dead children in the Stanpipe
Paul Bunyan
Mrs Kersh
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Dracula (with razor blade teeth)

Patrick hockstedder looks creepily just like I pictured him.

Patrick from when they announced he was going to appear in this setting, or Patrick from the novel. I ask because Patrick in the novel looks nothing like this depiction. Not only was the hairstyle and such off, him (as well as Bowers gang as a whole) were MUCH younger. That's what made everything surrounding them more disturbing.

Patrick from when they announced he was going to appear in this setting, or Patrick from the novel. I ask because Patrick in the novel looks nothing like this depiction. Not only was the hairstyle and such off, him (as well as Bowers gang as a whole) were MUCH younger. That's what made everything surrounding them more disturbing.
Just the look of the kid on the poster looks quite creepy and dead eyed to me. Patrick to me was the most disturbing part of the entire book.

Bobby will probably tell me I'm objectively wrong tho.

Just the look of the kid on the poster looks quite creepy and dead eyed to me. Patrick to me was the most disturbing part of the entire book.

Bobby will probably tell me I'm objectively wrong tho.

Maybe the face looks similar. Book said he kinda had lips like him. Though other than being much younger (12 in the book), I think Patrick in the book was a little more meaty (described to have a round "moon face" and a thick body" similar to a lump of clay).

Maybe the face looks similar. Book said he kinda had lips like him. Though other than being much younger (12 in the book), I think Patrick in the book was a little more meaty (though not Ben meaty), having a "moon face".
I'll make it even more simple, because I am not saying he looks like the book description. He looks in the trailer to me like a dead eyed sociopathic freak who snuffs his brother out with a pillow and feels nothing about it.

Maybe the face looks similar. Book said he kinda had lips like him. Though other than being much younger (12 in the book), I think Patrick in the book was a little more meaty (described to have a round "moon face" and a thick body" similar to a lump of clay).

Patrick Hockstetter looked more like Kearney from the Simpsons than Danny Rayburn's bastard kid from Bloodline

Chiming in late on this, but Dark Tower is the nerd cult following stuff of King's canon. It is the "I liked it before it was popular" segment of his works.
Salem's Lot is a step above that, and then The Stand a step above that.
The Shining, Carrie, and It are his most popular stuff in the mainstream it seems. At least anecdotally after more than a decade of working in book retailing. Shit, it is hard to convince people to give The Stand a try most of the time, but It is one of those things that just kept chugging along and only just had a resurgence because of the film coming.

Top Bottom