• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Dragon Ball Super any good?

L Thammy

Beerus might be my favorite DB character after Piccolo, and I'm a dog person!

c7p8gglxkaa1wax1num3.jpg

c7qqsz4u0aeco_5eduog.jpg

LotusHD

Banned
Read the manga if you can't deal with power inconsistencies in the anime.

The manga is boring as hell compared to the anime. Also sometimes the changes they do in there aren't really for the better, judging by the reception to the latest chapter.

It being a bit better with its power levels is definitely not worth everything he'd be missing out on.

EVOL 100%

Doesn't hold a candle to the original manga, but it's still pretty good.

For better or worse, it feels like a mixture of DB and DBZ. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Trickster

Depends on what you expect and want from a dragon ball show.

Super expands upon the world and lore of the dragonball universe.
It introduces many new characters, some new powerups, attacks etc.
Has a lot of fights and overall a much higher pace than DBZ ever did

However, it also has ridiculous inconsistency in terms of powerlevels and powerups
Visually/artstyle is nothing like DBZ.
Animation is rarely worth writing home about
Story and motivations of some people are absolutely garbage

If things like powerlevel consistency, animations and story are important for you, I'd say stay far away

If you just like dragon ball and want to see your favourite character get powerups and punch new bad guys. Give it a shot

I think super is good. I agree that the first 2 arcs are bad and you're better of watching the movie version, but I must say watching those arc dubbed makes it enjoyable because of the characters interaction, but animation wise it's terrible.

But after those 2 arcs, Super gets much better and more fun. The universe 6 arc is decent, I really loved the future trunks arc it has IMO one of the best villain in the series. The universe survival arc that is currently ongoing is pretty good.

While Super has its issues, I really love the show, if you disregard the first 2 arcs it can be really fun.

I found this article which I think perfectly sums up what Super is : http://anitay.kinja.com/why-dragon-ball-super-is-super-popular-1795847708

It's been pretty great for me, at least past the first two arcs which I admittedly skipped most of.

Honestly, I think as a whole it will end up being a better series than Z. Mainly because it doesn't suffer from nearly as bad of pacing. Z had some great highs but we all know it is still extremely flawed.

Super has basically been on point since the Future Trunks arc.
One of my favorite parts is how much time they have devoted to developing supporting characters.
I also feel like it does a great job balancing the action and humor. In a lot of ways it feels like it carries the DNA of the original DB arc more so than Z did.

Ecotic

It's pretty bad, honestly. Dragonball Super took everything that was bad about Dragonball Z and mad a series out of that, rather than taking what worked from DBZ and making a series out of that. Super feels like it was made for kids, to put it simply. Nothing ever feels threatening or high stakes. It's quite infuriating watching it, you just wonder why the creators can't make something engaging out of such a good concept.

Nightbird

I think super is good. I agree that the first 2 arcs are bad and you're better of watching the movie version, but I must say watching those arc dubbed makes it enjoyable because of the characters interaction, but animation wise it's terrible.

But after those 2 arcs, Super gets much better and more fun. The universe 6 arc is decent, I really loved the future trunks arc it has IMO one of the best villain in the series. The universe survival arc that is currently ongoing is pretty good.

While Super has its issues, I really love the show, if you disregard the first 2 arcs it can be really fun.

I found this article which I think perfectly sums up what Super is : http://anitay.kinja.com/why-dragon-ball-super-is-super-popular-1795847708

This is true

It's complete garbage and desperate. Don't waste your time.

This is wrong

Edit:

It's pretty bad, honestly. Dragonball Super took everything that was bad about Dragonball Z and mad a series out of that, rather than taking what worked from DBZ and making a series out of that. Super feels like it was made for kids, to put it simply. Nothing ever feels threatening or high stakes. It's quite infuriating watching it, you just wonder why the creators can't make something engaging out of such a good concept.

This is a good thing.

A constant chase to keep the stakes high means an inflation in power. And this means that some of the popular characters will become less and less relevant. Supers attempt at keeping the stakes low for some of the arcs achieved a lot more in terms of character writing and world building than almost everything Z did post Namek (except the introduction of the Kais)

Real Hero

There's a dragon ball before z and z is entirely for children don't kid yourself

LotusHD

Banned

You're being silly if you think DBS hasn't taken anything good from DBZ, especially considering the current arc. Part of the reason people have warmed up to the show is because it's been doing a lot of things people have wanted, like making older characters relevant for example. As for it being made for kids, are we really gonna sit here and act like Dragon Ball or DBZ are for adults or something?

As for high stakes, it's a pretty laughable concept with a show where characters never stay dead, so it's weird for you to feel as if Super would suddenly break that trend. That said, it ironically has put our protagonists in much more dire circumstances than they've ever faced before, and with the last arc, they technically fucked up big time in a way that cannot be undone.

It's hit or miss for me. I am loving this current arc, and the preparation for it, but Super has a history of weird plot twists that ultimately have me go 'what?' Looking at you Zamasu and your
multiversal assimilation because you hate people THAT much.
Goku's character feels so different to me (having grown up with the Funimation dub) and I can't say I enjoy it all that much. The dude's in his 50s and still surprised that people kiss each other.

The highs are high though, with some of the new characters and universes, plus it's now giving the support characters some time to shine (except Tien. Fuck Tien.). Overall I'd say it's worth the watch, provided you skip the movie adaptions.

Skeeter49

Considering this takes place before EoZ, meaning they're very limited in what they can do, there have been higher stakes than DB or DBZ, even GT. Yes, RoF and BoG had very low stakes, we knew what would happen before it happened because they spelled it out. Nothing was really at stake in the Champa arc, but not every arc needs something at stake. The last arc, and so far this arc, have dealt with
universes
being erased, and one
has already been erased
. One of them
was our universe, just a different timeline, but one we're familiar with.
Don't get how that equal's no stakes.

It's hit or miss for me. I am loving this current arc, and the preparation for it, but Super has a history of weird plot twists that ultimately have me go 'what?' Looking at you Zamasu and your
multiversal assimilation because you hate people THAT much.
Goku's character feels so different to me (having grown up with the Funimation dub) and I can't say I enjoy it all that much. The dude's in his 50s and still surprised that people kiss each other.

The highs are high though, with some of the new characters and universes, plus it's now giving the support characters some time to shine (except Tien. Fuck Tien.). Overall I'd say it's worth the watch, provided you skip the movie adaptions.
Zamasu hated the idea that mortals could achieve the level of god. He didn't like people before that, but he wasn't going to eliminate them all, Future Zamasu is proof of that since he never acted on his impulses.

Mailbox

There's a dragon ball before z and z is entirely for children don't kid yourself

Yeah, the blood, gore, mass murders, etc. scream "for children".

"Don't kid yourself", dbz was on a completely different timeslot than super is on now, which allowed anime to get away with much more aggressive and more grounded aspects of these kind of fighting genres. Super might try to invoke story beats and aspects of Z, but its timeslot and art direction only allow maybe a lil blood from the lip at most (hell, Zamasu
bleeds fucking rainbows. FUCKING RAINBOWS, wtf!
).

L Thammy

You're being silly if you think DBS hasn't taken anything good from DBZ, especially considering the current arc. Part of the reason people have warmed up to the show is because it's been doing a lot of things people have wanted, like making older characters relevant for example. As for it being made for kids, are we really gonna sit here and act like Dragon Ball or DBZ are for adults or something?

As for high stakes, it's a pretty laughable concept with a show where characters never stay dead, so it's weird for you to feel as if Super would suddenly break that trend. That said, it ironically has put our protagonists in much more dire circumstances than they've ever faced before, and with the last arc, they technically fucked up big time in a way that cannot be undone.

If old Dragonball wasn't for adults, why did it they curse and have blood and partial nudity?

edit:
LET IT RIP

Mailbox

This is a good thing.

A constant chase to keep the stakes high means an inflation in power. And this means that some of the popular characters will become less and less relevant. Supers attempt at keeping the stakes low for some of the arcs achieved a lot more in terms of character writing and world building than almost everything Z did post Namek (except the introduction of the Kais)

While i do agree that the world building has been pretty good, the power inflation (or rather the shows internal understanding of power) is utter nonsense at this point. Its FAR worse than it ever was in Z in that aspect.

Skeeter49

While i do agree that the world building has been pretty good, the power inflation (or rather the shows internal understanding of power) is utter nonsense at this point. Its FAR worse than it ever was in Z in that aspect.

If it means more relevant characters like 17 and Gohan, fine.
It's for the best so we can get away from the Goku show.

Mendrox

For the record, Dragon Ball Super is a gigantic success and has millions of viewers across the world, made the db brand more successful than ever, and the profits keep getting up.

The show had a lot of issues quality wise when it started, some people gave up on it and never bothered to change their mind afterwards.

The current quality of the show is extremely good. ( with flaws, mind you, but it's enjoyable at the very least despite some inconsistencies )

It's indeed less violent visually but it's still very dark at times.

Since the start of the Black Goku Arc the series really looks good and sometimes even really really good. People don't remember how often Dragon Ball Z looked like shit.

If old Dragonball wasn't for adults, why did it they curse and have blood and partial nudity?

edit:
LET IT RIP

Man Dragon Ball is THE Shounen Manga/Anime.

RocknRola

It's awesome.

It's not without it's faults (the animation first and foremost) but it's the Z sequel we deserved. Glad our last hurrah of Dragon Ball is something actually good instead of....GT.

The animation, until the start of the Tournament of Power arc (episode 77) is very hit and miss. It starts off poorly, gets better after episode 27 but never really consistent. From episode 77 onwards the style was slightly changed and they've been more careful at making sure there aren't major drop-offs in animation quality.

As for the feel of the series it's basically a mix of the original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. The comedy is top tier, the new main characters are awesome, the latest arc is putting a lot of emphasis on not just using raw power to solve things and in general they do try to keep consistent with past series.

On the downside, battle damage + blood is rare and not nearly on the level of what we saw on Z, which makes battles feel weird. Also, if you watch a dub version of it this may not be an issue, but JP Goku in Super is a lot more........"simple minded" than he was in Z (IMO). The dubs may slightly change that (the PT dub did, for example, the US and other dubs might as well), but if you watch the weekly subbed episodes online, it won't just be you thinking Goku is slighty dumber than before :p

But yeah, watch it. After episode 27 the animation slowly gets better (though it remains inconsistent, that only goes away in the current arc), there are some legit "HYPE!!!" moments in the following arcs and when you finally reach the ToP arc, if you managed to enjoy yourself until then, the show gets a loooot better.

Some of ya'll are just silly.

Dragon Ball has always been for kids. This is a fact.

Do you know what the word Shonen from Shonen Jump means?

The reason it had more violence and 'mature' aspects is because it was originally aired in Japan in a different time, when stuff like that was more acceptable.

If you wanted Dragon Ball Super to be some super violent grounded Seinen adaptation, then you never really understood the appeal of the show, I'm sorry to say.

Its watered down nostalgia grab, with shallow stories and characters. With action being a big draw you would think it would look great, but its a huge downgrade from DBZ.

Honestly, one should just watch DBZ again.

Ecotic

Some of ya'll are just silly.

Dragon Ball has always been for kids. This is a fact.

Do you know what the word Shonen from Shonen Jump means?

The reason it had more violence and 'mature' aspects is because it was originally aired in Japan in a different time, when stuff like that was more acceptable.

If you wanted Dragon Ball Super to be some super violent grounded Seinen adaptation, then you never really understood the appeal of the show, I'm sorry to say.

Maybe you're right. I've admitted defeat with Super and assumed I actually don't understand the appeal of the show. When I watch it I can't help but feel there's a cultural disconnect and Dragonball Super is either meant for a narrow Japanese audience or deeply engaged connoisseurs of Shonen Jump and Seinen who can compare and critique it in comparison to all other shows in the medium. It doesn't feel like a show made for universal appeal or one that's meant to stand in judgment on its own outside of its anime confines.

LotusHD

Banned
Maybe you're right. I've admitted defeat with Super and assumed I actually don't understand the appeal of the show. When I watch it I can't help but feel there's a cultural disconnect and Dragonball Super is either meant for a narrow Japanese audience or deeply engaged connoisseurs of Shonen Jump and Seinen who can compare and critique it in comparison to all other shows in the medium. It doesn't feel like a show made for universal appeal or one that's meant to stand in judgment on its own outside of its anime confines.

The appeal is "Yo, fans of one of the most popular anime ever, come watch this, we're continuing the story". It's not that deep.

I don't think that is the case at all and considering the success the show has seen I think it's pretty obvious it appeals to a wide variety of audiences.

I feel like you are putting the series on a pedestal when, in all honesty, it doesn't really derserve to be.

Your previous post even comments about how you can't understand how they can't deliver on such a 'good concept', but what are you even referring to? Because the show is basically....

The appeal is kung fu lasers.

I mean I love the series, but even among the various Shonen Jump, it probably hast the most generic and boring concept.

LotusHD

Banned
I feel like you are putting the series on a pedestal when, in all honesty, it doesn't really derserve to be.

No lies detected. DBZ is undoubtedly a classic, we all love it, and while Super hasn't matched its heights, it's not exactly unreachable lol

Stopped after 42 episodes. It's just utterly awful looking. I can get behind Fanservice and stupid shit, but not this. Bejita as a comic relief is... Let's just say I do not agree with his supposed "character development".

This is cool character development.

199285_1362799131343_full.png

not this

tumblr_mubj9cMqy01sg8fwxo1_500.gif

RocknRola

Stopped after 42 episodes. It's just utterly awful looking. I can get behind Fanservice and stupid shit, but not this. Bejita as a comic relief is... Let's just say I do not agree with his supposed "character development".

This is cool character development.

.................................who?

LotusHD

Banned

Sure, but I mean, he has "cool character development" too. 42 episodes in means you saw how he interacted with Cabba for example. :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its bad, and not in the "its dumb but entertaining fun" Dragonball and DBZ kind of way either.

The first 50 episodes as you say are basically retellings of the movies but with significantly worse animation and padding, and the rest so far has been a horrible trunks subplot about evil time traveling gods who fuse together to become super goku god, filler episodes with never ending training subplots, and tournaments of course.

I mean, i get people are tribal about Dragonball because they want more content, but calling a spade a spade, its only worth a watch if your that invested into Dragonball as a franchise and need to see every single thing. You'd be just fine if you got your fill of Dragonball 20 years ago when it ended and wanted to skip it

Dark_castle

I'm gonna go against most here and said DB Super is garbage. I hate how they handle power scaling (fucking ass pulls) in this series, which is somehow even worse than Z. Art style becomes far more worse than Z, animations are also weaker, too many "safe" tournament arcs (a sign of creator running out of creative ideas), bleh OST outside of Boogie Back, and Zen-oh is so annoying.

I still watch the series weekly despite that.

LotusHD

Banned
Its bad, and not in the "its dumb but entertaining fun" Dragonball and DBZ kind of way either.

The first 50 episodes as you say are basically retellings of the movies but with significantly worse animation and padding, and the rest so far has been a horrible trunks subplot about evil time traveling gods who fuse together to become super goku god, filler episodes with never ending training subplots, and tournaments of course.

I mean, i get people are tribal about Dragonball because they want more content, but calling a spade a spade, its only worth a watch if your that invested into Dragonball as a franchise and need to see every single thing. You'd be just fine if you got your fill of Dragonball 20 years ago when it ended and wanted to skip it

27 episodes actually, where'd you even get 50 from lol

Mendrox

I'm gonna go against most here and said DB Super is garbage. I hate how they handle power scaling (fucking ass pulls) in this series, which is somehow even worse than Z. Art style becomes far more worse than Z, animations are also weaker, too many "safe" tournament arcs (a sign of creator running out of creative ideas), bleh OST outside of Boogie Back, and Zen-oh is so annoying.

I still watch the series weekly despite that.

The animation is not weaker since the Goku Black Arc. People should put their nostalgic googles away and rewatch DBZ and realize that the series looked off for most of it's run. Or you could check Kanzenshuu.

I'm honestly kinda astonished that people care so much about power levels in DB.

I honestly thought that was something that only existed on early 90s Internet MUDs....

Top Bottom