• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Dragon Ball Super any good?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I want to get into the series but all the filler shit turned me off. My friends press me to still watch it as they say it's really good, however. Is KAI a valid option to dive into the story or is it too far removed from the source material?

Kai is basically just an edit of Z with the most of the filler removed. I'd say it's what you're looking for.

Skeeter49

O8eU3v7.png

Wow there's a new Saiyan character in DB Super

He looks cool
Is this Goku Black?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
honestly I'm having a hard time seeing people jumping into Z without at least looking at DB's final arc

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So Kai is Canon?

Kai matches the manga more due to the removal of fillers

These fillers sometime contradict new material down the road, as the manga is written without regards to the anime.

So yah, watch the Kai is enough. In fact i will suggest it

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just started watching Super this weekend in dubbed form. So far so good. I'm on like episode 9 or 10 when I left off last night.

I think my only complaint so far is while it was cool to see like literally everyone back together on the ship it felt kinda hollow?

What was cool in some of the other sagas is while it was always a Saiyan usually Goku that saved the day in the end at least you saw the other characters improving in their own right.

Instead in this it seems like Goku and Vegeta are training to get better and everyone else is just hanging out at their old power level like Piccolo, Tien, Krillin ect...

Just started watching Super this weekend in dubbed form. So far so good. I'm on like episode 9 or 10 when I left off last night.

I think my only complaint so far is while it was cool to see like literally everyone back together on the ship it felt kinda hollow?

What was cool in some of the other sagas is while it was always a Saiyan usually Goku that saved the day in the end at least you saw the other characters improving in their own right.

Instead in this it seems like Goku and Vegeta are training to get better and everyone else is just hanging out at their old power level like Piccolo, Tien, Krillin ect...

That changes, also keep in mind that the first two arcs are just retellings of movies.

ElyrionX

Just finished the Future Trunks arc. That was a really shit way to kill the villain wtf. They nailed it at one point but just had to go ruin it with that stupid world ending shit. And the amount of time paradoxesin that arc alone holy shit.

Anth0ny

Just finished the Future Trunks arc. That was a really shit way to kill the villain wtf. They nailed it at one point but just had to go ruin it with that stupid world ending shit. And the amount of time paradoxesin that arc alone holy shit.

100% should have ended with Trunks just fucking Zamasu up.

Such a stupid, overly complicated route they took.

DarkKyo

100% should have ended with Trunks just fucking Zamasu up.

Such a stupid, overly complicated route they took.

Wasn't the whole point of it to set up the bring-another-Zeno-back-to-the-present thing due to that universe needing to be erased?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bringing back the extended cast is the best thing the show has done. Before that Super's first year was more like a hate-watch affair.

Nightbird

That's an inbetween frame, and going off model in shots like that is sort of the point behind in between frames in the first place. A hold like in that frame above looks quite terrible since it's not an inbetween.

No it actually looks like that during that shot. Go back and watch it again.

Puruzi

Banned
I don't care for it too much but I don't really like Z all that much outside of the Saiyan Saga anymore either.

Dragon Ball is the real shit TBQH

Skeeter49

honestly I'm having a hard time seeing people jumping into Z without at least looking at DB's final arc
I did, then watched Dragon Ball after DBZ.
I think it works fine, sure knowing Piccolo's story helps, but I was a little disappointed at how they hyped up Piccolo as this evil person who will never change, and then he changes to good early on in the next series.

why not just watch abridged lol

yeah but Piccolo's arc wouldn't really have that much impact right
As great and DBZA is, it's hardly going to give you a proper version of the events. The characters and jokes are also a lot funnier if you already have knowledge of the actual series.

PK Gaming

It's decent.

The first half is pretty bad, since they're bad recaps of movies stretched over an entire season. The first original arc is... disappointing. It had some promise, and brought back a fan favorite (Future Trunks) but the execution and writing just wasn't there. The current arc is actually pretty good, making good use out of setting in a way DBZ hasn't since the Frieza saga.

The show still suffers from key issues. The art is generally poor and overcorrected. Animation is below par (unless it's fucking amazing), and the pacing is still garbage.

Oh and the false equivalences are ridiculous.

For every shot of this, there are 10-15 poor looking shots in Super.

Oh and the false equivalences are ridiculous.

For every shot of this, there are 10-15 poor looking shots in Super.

The art is pretty consistent now, with Z you would get entire episodes that looked bad, Super has gotten past that, now it's just bad shots here and there scatter through out the episodes.
I don't think people remember that Uchiyama and Ebisawa were pretty bad artists and the majority of the original 3 series were supervised by those two.

PK Gaming

The art is pretty consistent now, with Z you would get entire episodes that looked bad, Super has gotten past that, now it's just bad shots here and there scatter through out the episodes.
I don't think people remember that Uchiyama and Ebisawa were pretty bad artists and the majority of the original 3 series were supervised by those two.

Sure it's gotten more consistent, but the show just straight up does not look as good as the original show. And there's reason for that, because DBS is overcorrected to hell and back. Dragon Ball Z worked because it had free-form cartoony aesthetic. Like, compare this animation to this. Sure the latter is probably more consistent, but the first example is so much more fun and dynamic.

That isn't to say DBS is bad in the visuals department, because when it wants to be good, it's damn good, but I generally preferred the original DBZs animation.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
As great and DBZA is, it's hardly going to give you a proper version of the events. The characters and jokes are also a lot funnier if you already have knowledge of the actual series.
true enough

Also I like how they go to both Japanese and dub names.

Top Bottom