• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Dragon Ball Super any good?

Stopped after 42 episodes. It's just utterly awful looking. I can get behind Fanservice and stupid shit, but not this. Bejita as a comic relief is... Let's just say I do not agree with his supposed "character development".

This is cool character development.

If you think Vegeta is comic relief then you clearly haven't watched much of the show. He has some comedic moments and that's it. I don't see how you could watch 42 episodes and think he's comic relief, and that's not even mentioning all the shit he does after episode 42.

In defense of the Golden Frieza arc... the Golden Frieza arc sucks. It gets better after that.

This is the Yamcha pose for a new era.

Oh thank god. I'm watching it on adult swim and golden freeza suuuuuucks lol.

But as someone who only watched DBZ back in the day, super is pretty fun to watch. THeres still tons of boring filler, but it's still pretty fun to watch. I'm glad they still do the best cliffhangers. And Beerus is a fun character, I hope he sticks around.

Also, can anyone tell me if gohan actually starts training ? He was getting wrecked by freeza and his goons lol . I wanna see Gohan destroy bad guys

I'm gonna go against most here and said DB Super is garbage. I hate how they handle power scaling (fucking ass pulls) in this series, which is somehow even worse than Z. Art style becomes far more worse than Z, animations are also weaker, too many "safe" tournament arcs (a sign of creator running out of creative ideas), bleh OST outside of Boogie Back, and Zen-oh is so annoying.

I still watch the series weekly despite that.

man Toriyama must have been running out of ideas all the way back in Dragonball, i don't know how you got past watching that

The animation is not weaker since the Goku Black Arc. People should put their nostalgic googles away and rewatch DBZ and realize that the series looked off for most of it's run. Or you could check Kanzenshuu.

The art was still more pleasing to the eye and its highlights shit over anything DBS has produced.

The character art alone makes it better.

I'm honestly kinda astonished that people care so much about power levels in DB.

I honestly thought that was something that only existed on early 90s Internet MUDs....

Are you new to Shonen? There being a lack of any structure to the power levels in DBS is just another testament to its poor writing.

Zolo

man Toriyama must have been running out of ideas all the way back in Dragonball, i don't know how you got past watching that

Toriyama noted that tournament arcs tended to bring in the most amount of readers. That's why there was so many of them from different manga.

LeleSocho

Banned
You must be a kid to enjoy DB Super, if you have even a little bit of a critical eye you will not handle the badness of this show.

Do not watch it.

L Thammy

Every single person who enjoys Dragonball Super kidnaps small children's pets and eats them. Then they send the videos of the incidents to their families. This is an objective fact, and if you pretend it isn't true, it's because you're in denial.

Mory Dunz

One thing that it's definitely better than Z is wasting time.

You really have to rewatch Z and DB just to see how every exchange had 2 minutes of reactions from everybody. Man.

How long was the recent
Vegito and then F Trunks fight?
Minutes?
In DBZ that would've taken 4 episodes.

Are you new to Shonen? There being a lack of any structure to the power levels in DBS is just another testament to its poor writing.

To be quite honest, I'm not gonna be watching very many Shonen shows for their writing, least of all DB.

You must be a kid to enjoy DB Super, if you have even a little bit of a critical eye you will not handle the badness of this show.

Do not watch it.

Alternatively, you must be an edgelord to not be able to enjoy what is basically just Anime comfort food.

The only reason I caught up recently is because a bunch of designers I work with (who have been creating amazing content for decades) couldn't stop going on about how fun and silly it was during a drink-up. I'm pretty sure they could tear the show a new one in ways you couldn't imagine if they actually cared to. The difference is they have grown up to the point where they can appreciate the show for what it is instead of getting caught up their own ass trying to criticize it.

One thing that it's definitely better than Z is wasting time.

You really have to rewatch Z and DB just to see how every exchange had 2 minutes of reactions from everybody. Man.

How long was the recent
Vegito and then F Trunks fight?
Minutes?
In DBZ that would've taken 4 episodes.

You can't argue that DBZ used way too much padding. But the pacing of the fights, and the cinematography (not to mention the music) was much more influenced by Spaghetti Western. Removing that from the show is probably one of the reason why a lot of people who grew up watching DB / z in the 80's can't stand DBS.

Zolo

You can't argue that DBZ used way too much padding. But the pacing of the fights, and the cinematography (not to mention the music) was much more influenced by Spaghetti Western. Removing that from the show is probably one of the reason why a lot of people who grew up watching DB / z in the 80's can't stand DBS.

Yeah. The biggest problem is that animators back in the old days still had Toriyama's drawings to use for reference.

Kain

I dropped it at the beginning of the Golden Frieza arc because it bored me to tears. Dunno if it got better later or what...

Super is like a good blend of the goofier lightheartedness of Dragon Ball with -some- elements of the high stakes battles and vast world building of Z.

Everyone in the main and new extended cast feels like they have moments to shine which wasn't really the case toward the end of Z.

Pacing is good too. It really pops along, sometimes even a little too fast without leaving big events enough time to breathe.

If that sounds alright to you... you'll probably have fun.

The only thing that -really- sucks is the art and animation being so inconsistent, meaning it only occasionally rises above passable and is often fairly hideous.

That said about the art, the new filter they added over the Tournament of Power episodes has really helped the visuals. Nicer line weights and colouring that makes it appear a little closer to cel animation which is always welcome. It looked too digital and flat before.

Can't speak too much for the dub, I watch in Japanese, but what I've seen of it has been solid like Kai and BOG/ROF films. Dubbed Dragon Ball has become very good in recent years.

3iVKfaZ.gif
9uWe3Lp.gif

Slaythe

Super is like a good blend of the goofier lightheartedness of Dragon Ball with -some- elements of the high stakes battles and vast world building of Z.

Everyone in the main and new extended cast feels like they have moments to shine which wasn't really the case toward the end of Z.

Pacing is good too. It really pops along, sometimes even a little too fast without leaving big events enough time to breathe.

If that sounds alright to you... you'll probably have fun.

The only thing that -really- sucks is the art and animation being so inconsistent, meaning it only occasionally rises above passable and is often fairly hideous.

That said about the art, the new filter they added over the Tournament of Power episodes has really helped the visuals. Nicer line weights and colouring that makes it appear a little closer to cel animation which is always welcome. It looked too digital and flat before.

Can't speak too much for the dub, I watch in Japanese, but what I've seen of it has been solid like Kai and BOG/ROF films. Dubbed Dragon Ball has become very good in recent years.

You're not seriously saying that the ToP arc has been visually inconsistent and hideous on regular basis, I hope ?

Because even if you dislike the art style, as in, your personal preferences don't fit, the show has gotten extremely consistent and had much more ambitious color work and storyboarding compared to the underwhelming first arcs.

There have been only a couple of episodes that looked bad so far, that's a rather decent ratio.

LeleSocho

Banned
To be quite honest, I'm not gonna be watching very many Shonen shows for their writing, least of all DB.

Alternatively, you must be an edgelord to not be able to enjoy what is basically just Anime comfort food.

The only reason I caught up recently is because a bunch of designers I work with (who have been creating amazing content for decades) couldn't stop going on about how fun and silly it was during a drink-up. I'm pretty sure they could tear the show a new one in ways you couldn't imagine if they actually cared to. The difference is they have grown up to the point where they can appreciate the show for what it is instead of getting caught up their own ass trying to criticize it.

Given the importance of Dragon Ball i refuse to consider it "comfort food" that's why it's a disappointment of colossal scale and that's also why i'm pretty sure that a good chunk that watches and enjoy Super are the same people that can stomach watching all the anime seasons every year, not that there is something wrong with that but i can't nor want to compare Super to the random low budget anime made by some F tier studio that pop up every season.

Does that make me an edgelord? ok i will accept that but insulting me will not change my idea.
If we apply this type of logic. DB and DBZ would not hold up either.
I might agree up to a certain point (DB is absolutely awesome in every way, DBZ... less.) but DB in general has a certain historical value that goes beyond its objective qualities.

Lamel

Banned
Got good after the return of Freeza arc. Also the animation and art vastly improved since the beginning.

Black arc had potential to be up there with the best but they botched the ending.

This current tournament arc seems like it's gonna be long so let's see how it goes.

Fj0823

Its not Z, but is a great sequel.

Think Korra. Great but never reaches the original highs due to some issues

DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE RETELLINGS, those are real bad. Just watch the movies and jump on episode 28

Nepenthe

It's DBZ if it were instead written primarily as a gag manga and with worse art overall. Mileage will vary depending upon what you wanted after years of no new shows. I personally can only tolerate it.

FSLink

Banned
I rewatched DB and DBZ coincidentally right before they announced Super. The old series had moments that dragged on, awful art and animation at times, etc.

I feel like people forgot as much as DBZ had amazing highs there were quite a few slogs.
Super feels pretty similar, for better or worse.

Ravelle

I rewatched DB and DBZ coincidentally right before they announced Super. The old series had moments that dragged on, awful art and animation at times, etc.

I feel like people forgot as much as DBZ had amazing highs there were quite a few slogs.
Super feels pretty similar, for better or worse.

Luckily our younger selfs never noticed.

Sou Da

It's just more Z really, and I feel like not actually committing to a big timeskip makes it less interesting than GT from the outset.

Given the importance of Dragon Ball i refuse to consider it "comfort food" that's why it's a disappointment of colossal scale and that's also why i'm pretty sure that a good chunk that watches and enjoy Super are the same people that can stomach watching all the anime seasons every year, not that there is something wrong with that but i can't nor want to compare Super to the random low budget anime made by some F tier studio that pop up every season.

Does that make me an edgelord? ok i will accept that but insulting me will not change my idea.

I might agree up to a certain point (DB is absolutely awesome in every way, DBZ... less.) but DB in general has a certain historical value that goes beyond its objective qualities.

Protip: If you don't wanna be called an edge lord don't throw around condescending 'child' insults about Shonen Anime of all things.

Also, comfort food is in no way an insult or demeaning and I wouldn't consider calling trash F tier Anime the same thing.

It's a term to denote a food that brings back good memories of your past. Heh.

LeleSocho

Banned
Protip: If you don't wanna be called an edge lord don't throw around condescending 'child' insults about Shonen Anime of all things.

Also, comfort food is in no way an insult or demeaning and I wouldn't consider calling trash F tier Anime the same thing.

It's a term to denote a food that brings back good memories of your past. Heh.

But i didn't meant that as insult, you inverted cause and effect.
"If you are a kid you are going to like Super" not "You like Super then you must be a kid lololol".
Again you misunderstood me, i'm not saying that "comfort food" anime equals to F tier anime... i'm saying that who watches and enjoys Super are (in my opinion) the same kind of people that are used to watch tons of things all the time that highly fluctuates in quality from bottom of the barrel to upper echelon so they are willing to compare Super to trash tier stuff and look at it favourably and enjoy because objectively it's really not THAT bad.
I'm not that kind of person and therefore i cannot enjoy it that way.

There is no ill meaning behind my opinion on who watches and enjoys Super.

NandoGip

I like it. Good world building, and the current arc has brought back many secondary/tertiary characters plus introduced over 100 new ones.

First two movie retelling arcs are solid if you never watched it. every thing after varies from "decent" to "great" and its only getting better.

The best moment in the entire show just happened a few weeks ago and some insane shit is going to happen within the next couple weeks

jph139

I've been meaning to get into Super but - like, can you really just skip the first two arcs and watch the movies? I'd rather not slog through them if they're as meh as I hear, but I was concerned the retellings would introduce new plot threads or characters and I'd end up missing something important.

Also how often does Jaco show up? The standalone manga is probably the best thing Toriyama's done since the first half of Dragon Ball and I'd hate to see him fucked up by poor writing and such.

Gin-Shiio

It's a very different beast from DBZ. Much more humor, and not really a feeling of dread and despair so far. The latter I attribute partially to the show taking place before the end of Z, meaning you know everyone from the core cast is going to make it.
It's okay. It's really nothing special, but still watchable enough.

I've been meaning to get into Super but - like, can you really just skip the first two arcs and watch the movies? I'd rather not slog through them if they're as meh as I hear, but I was concerned the retellings would introduce new plot threads or characters and I'd end up missing something important.
You won't miss much. So just watch the 2 movies and go straight to the next arc.

Real Hero

Yes, watch the extended cut of battle of gods and then the freeza movie. You can start super from ep 28 then.

But i didn't meant that as insult, you inverted cause and effect.
"If you are a kid you are going to like Super" not "You like Super then you must be a kid lololol".

There's not much of a jump between "if you're a kid you're gonna enjoy super" and "only kids enjoy super" if you don't do anything to elaborate.

Sony

Nintendo

Also how often does Jaco show up? The standalone manga is probably the best thing Toriyama's done since the first half of Dragon Ball and I'd hate to see him fucked up by poor writing and such.

The Dragonball Super OT, first post, is a pretty good guide on everything Super, including advise on how to best start watching the series.

Top Bottom