• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Dragon Ball Super any good?

Sony

Nintendo
I recommend just skipping straight to GT.

Raw64life

I also haven't watched any of this and have been thinking about watching it sometime.

Does my boy Piccolo ever do anything cool or does he continue his descent into joke character status?

emb

Super is pretty good. I hated it at first, but it settles into place after a while and becomes a solid continuation to DBZ.

Jeb

I tried to get into it but it was so bad I couldnt, heard that the new arcs are good (particularly from GAF)and heard about a storyline about teaming up with an evil Frieza, thought that was a good idea and skipped through all the eps to the recent arc to give it another shot, still couldnt watch it, started skipping through scenes just to get to the parts that might be good, nope still unwatchable.

My problem is that everything feels so lazy and cheap, the animation, the artstyle ,the characters (seriously, a skinned cat is the god of destruction? and the god of gods are two oval shapes?), the writing, the transformations(ssj dyed blue and red?)...ect.

I've been meaning to get into Super but - like, can you really just skip the first two arcs and watch the movies? I'd rather not slog through them if they're as meh as I hear, but I was concerned the retellings would introduce new plot threads or characters and I'd end up missing something important.

Also how often does Jaco show up? The standalone manga is probably the best thing Toriyama's done since the first half of Dragon Ball and I'd hate to see him fucked up by poor writing and such.

My recommendation that I put in the Super OT.

Q: If the first two arcs are just retellings of two movies should I watch them or the show?
A: It really comes down to what you want to do, some people even prefer the Super retellings of the arcs. The fastest way to get caught up on the series is to start by watching the films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F and then pick up Super on episode 28, but the best way to get into the show in a shorter amount of time than watching 27 episodes is to watch the first two episodes of Super, the Battle of Gods film, episode 15 and then either Ajay's Resurrection F Super Cut (a fan recut of the the film that includes a lot of Super footage, but I can't link you to it) or watch episodes 16, 17 and 18 followed by the Resurrection F film and pick up Super at episode 28.

As for Jaco he shows up from time to time, but he's not really a main character.

Like everything Dragonball, the Manga is way better than the Anime.

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS PERSON!

Ennosuke

It is decent. It is not as exciting as Z and it is way too much comedy. Oh and I hate that Goku voice and all the characters who have the same voice. I miss my german dub. But, in total I am happy with more DB in my life. I grew up with those characters and I still love them. Back as a kid I was crazy about DB and DBZ. Fantastic memories.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The first two arcs (Beerus and Frieza) are among the worst anime Ive ever watched. They give the impression that nobody gave a aingle fuck while making them, from the atrocious script to the animation.

The 3rd arc, however, is a big redemption for the series. Still rough in spots but at least it has a story and some decent animated sequences.

The treatment of some of the characters, particularly Gohan, Chichi, Goku, Goten and Krillin realllly irks me though

Nepenthe

The treatment of some of the characters, particularly Gohan, Chichi, Goku, Goten and Krillin realllly irks me though

Goku annoys me in this show. You watch Kai and you get the sense that he's a naive, optimistic guy who- despite being a slave to his biological inclination to fight- nonetheless cares to some degree about things aside from that as a result of being raised human and he wants to do right by his family. In Super, whatever nuance Goku had is gone and he's been flanderized into a barely-functioning asshole who only likes fighting. Little character touches like his dislike of beer seem non-existent, and the whole deal with the way he treated Cell seems to have been taken wholesale and stripped of its context to justify him doing uncharacteristically reckless shit
and the fact that Beerus lets him get away with half the crap he does has also been a disappointment. You're a god of destruction; grow some fucking balls.

Like, I kinda hate Goku now lol.

sibarraz

Banned
Isn't better than Namek or Saiyan Saga, but is way better than Cell and Majin Buu IMO.

The Nostalgia glasses on some dragon ball z chapters are really strong.

Speaking of nostalgia, this series really knows how to caters towards it, has lots of good references and I actually like that they are giving character development to a lot of characters that were completely neglected in Z, even Goku and Vegeta takes are very interesting (People finally realizing that Goku's nature is causing lots of problems and Vegeta finally embracing his role as a family man). Also, the last 2 arcs are really showing the risks of mortals who are practically gods and that also are interacting with all mighty gods could carry on people's lives (Even though I fully expect that nothing bad will happen after this arc, but black goku ending really made me think that they will dare to destroy all universes)

Also the power levels don't bother me really, isn't like Krillin is kicking goku ass in a raw power fight, and if you stick to it, you will have an endless wave of goku and vegeta fighting towards a bigger enemy than somehow was stronger than the one before, nearly die, and then get stronger through lore shenanigans.

Linkark07

Banned
While not as good a Z, I believe it is a great addition to the franchise.

The retellings of the two movies weren't that good, especially Revival of Frieza. But when Universe 6 arc started, it finally fixed many of the issues it had at the beginning (awful animation for example).

Overall, I would say it is worth watching, starting from Universe 6 arc. While Goku and Vegeta are still the main characters and the series is mostly focused on them, the other characters also have time to shine.

The current arc is great. It has been a while since I have been looking for a new Dragon Ball episode each week.

Does my boy Piccolo ever do anything cool or does he continue his descent into joke character status?
Well, just as he was best father and uncle, now he is best grandpa. Pan loves her grandpa Piccoyo.

And helped Gohan regain his old skills

Being a kid and liking Super are not mutually exclusive.

And it's not our faults if you have to clarify that when you word statements in such a way that can easily lead one to conclusions.

But anyway, I've been watching Super since day 1 and am loving the hell out of it.

It's good, not perfect but good. It gets progressively better as it goes on and the current arc has been a lot of fun so far. It's a junk food show, just take it easy and have fun like you are a kid getting up to watch cartoons in the morning.

brinstar

I also haven't watched any of this and have been thinking about watching it sometime.

He's had an okay-ish fight or two but other than that he's basically delegated to standing in the background and commenting on shit.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I'm about 30 episodes in. its not great, so far. I am shocked at how much I love Beerus though. Anthropomorphic cat god seemed dumb, but he's ok by me.

I haven't watched any of Super beyond the two movies and the Tournament of Power arc, but the ToP Arc is amazing, just as good as anything in DBZ. I recommend watching Super. So much better than the shitfest that is GT.

Sephzilla

DragonBall Super is okay for the first two story arcs (Beerus and Frieza), it gets pretty good during the Universe 6 arc, and it gets back to near Z Quality in my opinion when
Future Trunks
returns. Everything since then has been really solid.

Also, Super gave us the best comedy filler episode since the drivers license episode in Z.

541E64E480DA2C83E0D843E32E70F8526BDDDDB1

Gin-Shiio

I haven't watched any of Super beyond the two movies and the Tournament of Power arc, but the ToP Arc is amazing, just as good as anything in DBZ. I recommend watching Super. So much better than the shitfest that is GT.

I mean, you essentially admit to watching only the best stuff, but the overwhelming majority of the rest is pretty bad still. At least GT bad if not worse.

Sephzilla

I mean, you essentially admit to watching only the best stuff, but the overwhelming majority of the rest is pretty bad still. At least GT bad if not worse.

I wouldn't say it's an overwhelming majority at this point, since we've had three solid arcs in a row. Plus Super seems to have a better grasp on the characters than GT did

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The current arc is one of the best in the franchise for me.

The stakes in this series are always muted because there's the dragon balls safety net, in this arc losing means getting erased along with the entire universe.

The scene where Universe 9 gets
erased
is disturbing to say the least. The way the Zen-Ohs nonchanlantly did it and how the angels were smiling. An entire universe
erased
and they are all smiling and having a ball.

Ninjice

Neo Member
Better Than GT surely, it didn't started very well but has grown in quality and this might be the best arc so far.

I think Super's good now. Or above decent at least. The first two arcs are not very good tbh and while they have their moments the movies (at least BoG) are much better. But there are some filler and training episodes in those arcs that are pretty good so I'd say check those out at least before skipping straight to the Universe 6 arc. Everything past that is pretty fine. Super gets better in quality as it goes on. Yeah there's still some pretty iffy moments of dialogue, animation, plot, all that stuff, but the quality never really drops back down to anything like the first two arcs. Ignoring Jelly Vegeta. We don't talk about that.

Basically I think it gets decent after the movie arcs, and only goes up from there, with some small drops occasionally.

Vegeta sacrificing his pride to make sure his friends and family are safe on Earth isn't good character development because it's also funny? Ok...

(Also that's from BoG. Vegeta doesn't do the dance in Super)

Edit: GT is straight up bad. Like Baby and the Shadow Dragons are cool, but everything from that show is garbage. Except SSJ4.

I skipped two of the best arcs. The movies and their arcs sucked. From what everyone says the U6 Arc and the Goku Black Arc are good.

Nothing in GT ever approached the quality of DBZ, not even close. Whereas the ToP Arc is just as good as DBZ.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Here's my take on it from my binge watching of the Dark Future arc up to the current episode (which I then decided to stop).

Most of it is really... well, mediocre. I actually was hyped in the early episodes because it felt like something new, but then they started adapting the two movies. And good lord, talk about a massive disappointment. Quality nose dive. I stopped at the beginning of RoF adaptation in my first attempt at watching because I just couldn't handle it.

Universe 6 started out well but then fell to the trappings of the usual "let the hero do it" shit, and man they ruin good characters. Frost had potential but nope. Hit was good but there wasn't enough of him.

Future Trunks however was great. Great introduction to the villains too. Too bad towards the end it meandered with a really lame conclusion. I won't spoil it though but it has a really nice build up. Just hold your thoughts on that.

And then we got the universe tournament which was essentially an exhaustive fight. We were promised fights for the other characters but ultimately it ended up with Goku and Vegeta again.

People kept hyping the various tournament arcs, but you know what? It felt like shitty Yu Yu Hakusho tourneys, so much so that I'd say the Three Kings tournament arc of YYH was better in some ways, and I hated that.

DB as a whole never had much tournament arcs. Actually when you think about it, only DB had that, and they were actually pretty poignant and short. DBZ never had any tourney arcs (no Cell Games doesn't count) and it actually makes sense -
tournament setting won't work in the part where saiyans exist. There was also an intensity where the main heroes could lose back then. Just compare say, Goku's first fight in the first martial arts tourney to his fight with Botamo or that dog guy. It just lacks any form of conflict and it just makes you wish to end it.

With that said I do agree the filler episodes are a riot to watch. Honestly Super should have been like that.

And then we got the universe tournament which was essentially an exhaustive fight. We were promised fights for the other characters but ultimately it ended up with Goku and Vegeta again.
The tournament JUST started, it's going to be really long and we just got an episode with a heavy focus on Krillin and 18...

Sephzilla

The Universe 6 and Future Trunks arcs are easily better than the Buu Saga, and the Tournament of Power Arc is looking better than it too

I tried to get into it but it was so bad I couldnt, heard that the new arcs are good (particularly from GAF)and heard about a storyline about teaming up with an evil Frieza, thought that was a good idea and skipped through all the eps to the recent arc to give it another shot, still couldnt watch it, started skipping through scenes just to get to the parts that might be good, nope still unwatchable.

My problem is that everything feels so lazy and cheap, the animation, the artstyle ,the characters (seriously, a skinned cat is the god of destruction? and the god of gods are two oval shapes?), the writing, the transformations(ssj dyed blue and red?)...ect.

How is having a skinned Cat lazy as opposed to another muscle bound alien? Dude, c'mon your opinion is blatantly wrong. People wanted the new SSJ to look like something out of deviant art.

DBZ ran for 7 years and has 291 episodes.
DBS has been on for a year and already has 99 episodes...

Why do I feel like this is going to become a Simpsons/Pokemon situation in which the show literally never ends

I've been watching it from the beggining. It's by no stretch amazing, but it's not bad (for the most part). The first 26 episodes are better served by watching the movies they're based on, the following tournament arc has some pretty decent fights interspersed in it, I didn't find most of the Goku Black arc enjoyable, but the current arc is genuinely the best thing they've done since the Buu Saga.

Tonally, you can tell it's a show focused on a younger audience. There's little to no blood and the 'comedy' bits are more frequent than Z. I liked this in Battle of the Gods, but I think the comedy bits stem even younger than that in the show. Super definitely relies more on fanservice than consistency, so that will rub some people the wrong way.

Animation is hit or miss. DBZ had bad animations too at times, but there's something about the cinematography in Super that just isn't there. Also, be prepared to spend a lot of time in Bulma's backyard.

Overall, I'd still give it a 7/10. I know the post sounds mostly negative but I still enjoy watching it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I feel like BoG and RoF should really be seen as Z era stuff rather than Super.

The tournament JUST started, it's going to be really long and we just got an episode with a heavy focus on Krillin and 18...

the introduction of the universal power tourney was so lame though, it really didn't inspire confidence in me

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Goku annoys me in this show. You watch Kai and you get the sense that he's a naive, optimistic guy who- despite being a slave to his biological inclination to fight- nonetheless cares to some degree about things aside from that as a result of being raised human and he wants to do right by his family. In Super, whatever nuance Goku had is gone and he's been flanderized into a barely-functioning asshole who only likes fighting. Little character touches like his dislike of beer seem non-existent, and the whole deal with the way he treated Cell seems to have been taken wholesale and stripped of its context to justify him doing uncharacteristically reckless shit
and the fact that Beerus lets him get away with half the crap he does has also been a disappointment. You're a god of destruction; grow some fucking balls.

Like, I kinda hate Goku now lol.

Yep, they took some of his naive qualities and made them 10x worse. In the Cell arc he came up with a plan, was patient and executed it even knowing that he wouldnt be the star player and that it would put his son at risk. In the Buu saga he develops this train of thought further by finding ways for the young kids to be the ones who protect the Earth, trying to train and empower the next generation.

In Super he just acts like a concussed idiot who doesnt have any initiative to do anything for anyone. He acts like a dumb child without any of the nuanced maturity he developed earlier in the series. Every character suffers from this, Videl lost ALL of her personality and is the sort of character she herself would have hated earlier in the series.

Top Bottom