• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Dragon Ball Super any good?

Does Gohan remain a weak chump?

After watching GT and the beginning of Super, I'm kind of pissed and disappointed with Gohan's regression.

Mael

I've noticed a lot of people who are down on Super seem to praise GT.

I do not agree with those people.

I get people liking Broly because heh at least he got cool FXs.
GT though? the boring shitty stuff that killed Dragon Ball for a decade?
What I can say is that manga Super is super shit.
Beerus & Co are actually good designs and they're fun to see interact with the rest of the cast.
Freeza I'll never get the fucking boner the power that be try to shove down our throats.
He was nice at 1st, he came back, cool.
Did we really need another fucking arc centered around him?
But hey not the worst offender out there so I'll allow it.
But the time travel shit to shoehorn future Trunks into the cast and somehow now Pilaf girl underling is kid now for no reason other than to ship her with Adult Trunks.
Romance was never the strong point of DB but this is taking it to another level.
And the whole arc is goddamn stupid resolved with deus ex machina because the authors wrote themselves in a corner like idiots.
I guess Dragon Ball also shows its age as it's the least interesting fight manga out there these days (this side of Fairy Tail). There's barely anything interesting happening into these fights and we're supposed to care about the characters not because they're doing anything interesting but because Goku was nice when I was a kid.
All the more blatant with the latest villain (I'm following the manga so it's latest for me) being a lazy redesign from Buu era Dragon Ball and fucking Son Goku because they couldn't come up with a better story than 'clone shit'.

If you're only looking at Super, you wouldn't know why it was so popular unlike OG Dragon Ball or even the Z parts.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Beerus & Co are actually good designs and they're fun to see interact with the rest of the cast.
Freeza I'll never get the fucking boner the power that be try to shove down our throats.
But the time travel shit to shoehorn future Trunks into the cast and somehow now Pilaf girl underling is kid now for no reason other than to ship her with Adult Trunks.
Romance was never the strong point of DB but this is taking it to another level.
And the whole arc is goddamn stupid resolved with deus ex machina because the authors wrote themselves in a corner like idiots.
I guess Dragon Ball also shows its age as it's the least interesting fight manga out there these days (this side of Fairy Tail). There's barely anything interesting happening into these fights and we're supposed to care about the characters not because they're doing anything interesting but because Goku was nice when I was a kid.
All the more blatant with the latest villain (I'm following the manga so it's latest for me) being a lazy redesign from Buu era Dragon Ball and fucking Son Goku because they couldn't come up with a better story than 'clone shit'.

If you're only looking at Super, you wouldn't know why it was so popular unlike OG Dragon Ball or even the Z parts.

This arc certainly isnt centered around frieza

I-hate-u

Nice! So that must mean he's started training again.

Le-Retour-de-Gohan-dans-Dragon-Ball-Super-GIF.gif

Mael

This arc certainly isnt centered around frieza

The arc where he comes back for no reason at the beginning?
Maybe but still pretty lame that they couldn't do something more interesting than just bring back the old dead horse to beat it again.

NandoGip

Worst take

foxuzamaki

Maybe but still pretty lame that they couldn't do something more interesting than just bring back the old dead horse to beat it again.

If your talking about the RoF arc then that was his second(wel 3rd if you count him turning into a robot) coming back, the 3rd time is for this arc and there is a reason he is back, which people werent fond of but ever since he's been back people have been enjoying him immensely.

I-hate-u

That's what I like to see! Gohan actually trying to reach his potential.

He's too good to be a scrub. Same with Gotenks. They need to be strong.

Gotenks has been irrelevant thus far. I am hopeful they focus on the kids in the next arc.

They have referenced Uub twice, so hopefully he shows up too.

Sephzilla

Frieza isn't the villain I want to see return from the dead

RvkHmu4.gif

With the power leaps of Super Saiyan God/Blue and Golden Frieza, Cell would be a fucking terrifying villain to see come back now. Plus it would be even more incentive for Gohan to get his shit together

Mael

Worst take
Well the manga is pretty awful to be fair.
Seriously it's on par with the before last Bleach arc.
If your talking about the RoF arc then that was his second(wel 3rd if you count him turning into a robot) coming back, the 3rd time is for this arc and there is a reason he is back, which people werent fond of but ever since he's been back people have been enjoying him immensely.

Fucking hell, they're bringing Freeza back after the awful Zamasu arc?
Yeah i'm dropping Super.

Kusagari

The dynamic between Goku and Frieza having to work together is one of the most interesting things the show has ever done.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah i'm dropping Super.

Bringing back Frieza after that arc was actually one of the smartest things they've done so far. You'd see why if you ever get that far.

Apath

Nice! So that must mean he's started training again.
I have no clue what the person you're quoting is talking about. Gohan is about as "main" as Piccolo or Krillin.

So far he's fought fodder side by side with Tien, Piccolo, and Master Roshi. Goku and Vegeta have been fighting the tougher opponents.

Mael

the good thing with the manga is that it's relatively short read, it's still fucking awful and one of the worst arc this side of Fairy Tail's tournament arc I've ever read.

The dynamic between Goku and Frieza having to work together is one of the most interesting things the show has ever done.

From the full roster of enemies Goku&Co fought, it's the one they bring him over and over?
I can see how it could be interesting on paper but after that awful chapter I don't know if I want to keep see this unfold.
At least it's a regular read I guess.

Bringing back Frieza after that arc was one of the smartest things they've done so far.

I'm not holding my breath.

LotusHD

Banned
the good thing with the manga is that it's relatively short read, it's still fucking awful and one of the worst arc this side of Fairy Tail's tournament arc I've ever read.

From the full roster of enemies Goku&Co fought, it's the one they bring him over and over?
I can see how it could be interesting on paper but after that awful chapter I don't know if I want to keep see this unfold.
At least it's a regular read I guess.

I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, just realized you're seemingly only bothering with the
worse
manga adaptation? If so, then I dunno how that will turn out for you, but I'm positive it won't be as entertaining as the anime lol

Metroid

Would you recommend starting with the first episode? I have seen the movie where he turns into SSG and the one before that I think.

Skeeter49

Well the manga is pretty awful to be fair.
Seriously it's on par with the before last Bleach arc.

Yeah i'm dropping Super.
It's one of the best things Super has done. It feels like the natural progression of his character, something RoF didn't do.

He's getting development.

Nightbird

I have no clue what the person you're quoting is talking about. Gohan is about as "main" as Piccolo or Krillin.

So far he's fought fodder side by side with Tien, Piccolo, and Master Roshi. Goku and Vegeta have been fighting the tougher opponents.

The reason Gohan stands alongside Tien Piccolo and Roshi is because that's the plan. Stay in a group so when they are attacked, they can defend themselves easily. As shown by the most recent episode:

5X3IM0T.gif

This is the plan that even Beerus supported.

Goku and Vegeta (as well as 18,17 and Freeza) don't give a shit about planning, and are more interested in fighting.

So yeah, Gohan is a main. He just happens to be the main that has not forgotten what the objective of the tournament is. Staying on the stage for as long as possible.

Mael

Oh, just realized you're seemingly only bothering with the
worse
manga adaptation? If so, then I dunno how that will turn out for you, but I'm positive it won't be as entertaining as the anime lol

Is the anime really that much better?
Then again if it's watchable, it probably is.

The Zamazu arc was great and I will not stand for this heresy.

I'm really not saying anything great about it.
Is the execution/VA work that good because the run down of the manga make it look like the laziest shit ever with no real rhyme nor reason except that is somehow 'cool' for some definition of cool.
The bad guy have the motivation of a gnat on speed but he's evil and somehow only Goku & Vegeta are important enough to help because why the fuck not.
the fights are boring and the resolution is basically the author saying fuck it, that shit overstayed its welcome.
I'll reread Bleach's final arc because as bad as that was (and dear god it was) at least it had potential.

We generally recommend that you watch the two movies, and then watch Episode 28.

After that awful DB film about Goku's father I don't I have the patience for 2 recent DB movies.....
And fuck the manga was more tolerable, it's why I went manga only with super!

Skeeter49

That means nothing. Since this arc started, besides Goku, Gohan has had the most episodes dedicated to him.
We'll see how that works out for Vegeta anyway. they're waiting for him.

RocknRola

They've aired 25 episodes so far. I'd say there has been at least 10 episodes of filler (AKA two whole months at the pace of one episode a week).

25 episodes of what? Do you mean the US dub? Or do you mean the current arc airing in Japan?

foxuzamaki

Would you recommend starting with the first episode? I have seen the movie where he turns into SSG and the one before that I think.
The BoG arc had some genuine fun moments but there's a lot of SoL episodes at the beginning of BoG and RoD arcs that are worth watching

LotusHD

Banned

It's far more entertaining at the very least. Only thing I could say about the manga is that it is a bit better with power levels and doesn't have to worry about inconsistent animation, but the way it condenses the arcs Super has already covered just makes it boring as hell.

Watching the anime won't necessarily guarantee that you'll like Super, but you should at least find it more enjoyable than the manga.

Skeeter49

I'm really not saying anything great about it.
Is the execution/VA work that good because the run down of the manga make it look like the laziest shit ever with no real rhyme nor reason except that is somehow 'cool' for some definition of cool.
The bad guy have the motivation of a gnat on speed but he's evil and somehow only Goku & Vegeta are important enough to help because why the fuck not.
the fights are boring and the resolution is basically the author saying fuck it, that shit overstayed its welcome.
I'll reread Bleach's final arc because as bad as that was (and dear god it was) at least it had potential.
The manga is the Goku show.
In the anime Trunks is pushed as the main character, and is involved in the fights more than in the manga, its rare there's a fight he isn't involved and, and is doing the most impressive stuff in, especially towards the end.

Mael

It's far more entertaining at the very least. Only thing I could say about the manga is that it is a bit better with power levels and doesn't have to worry about inconsistent animation, but the way it condenses the arcs Super has already covered just makes it boring as hell.

Watching the anime won't necessarily guarantee that you'll like Super, but you should at least find it more enjoyable than the manga.

Inconsistent animation is basically how DBZ is, if it's not there it's not really DBZ, right?
It can't possibly be worse than GT or the end of the Buu saga so I'll give it a shot when I have time.
I'm not going in with the highest of hope for it and you can blame the manga for that.
Toyotaro is not the best mangaka out there that's for sure

The manga is the Goku show.
In the anime Trunks is pushed as the main character, and is involved in the fights more than in the manga, its rare there's a fight he isn't involved and, and is doing the most impressive stuff in, especially towards the end.

Trunks is a glorified white mage in the manga!
He doesn't do shit and is only there because there got to be a reason he's involved in this after all!

Davey Cakes

It's weird that people do this as a response instead of posting the best of Super vs the best of Z.

Probably because Z wins out.
Even when it's badly drawn or animated, I still prefer the "look" of DBZ. The problem with Super is the art itself.

In any case, I'd like to see a comparison between the best of Z and the best of Super. I'm sure in that context, each has their visual strengths.

munchie64

After that awful DB film about Goku's father I don't I have the patience for 2 recent DB movies.....
And fuck the manga was more tolerable, it's why I went manga only with super!
You mean Episode of Bardock? lol

Battle of Gods is one of my favourite Dragon Ball things ever tbh. I love it.

Buckle

Been watching on Crunchyroll. Seems alright but Goku's VA is....something

He's got that sort of all around likable hero voice in the classic english dubs but here, he's voiced by what sounds like someone's grandmother in a bad mood.

I'm guessing they kept his VA from the original Dragon Ball but that seems like a pretty terrible idea when he's transitioned into a fully grown 30 something man dad.

Skeeter49

Inconsistent animation is basically how DBZ is, if it's not there it's not really DBZ, right?
It can't possibly be worse than GT or the end of the Buu saga so I'll give it a shot when I have time.
I'm not going in with the highest of hope for it and you can blame the manga for that.
Toyotaro is not the best mangaka out there that's for sure

Trunks is a glorified white mage in the manga!
He doesn't do shit and is only there because there got to be a reason he's involved in this after all!
That's where they're different. The healing powers Trunks has in the manga isn't in the anime. He has some good team ups with Goku and Vegeta, and some good solo fights.

The anime and manga went in 2 completely different directions in how they handle the plot and fights.

Mael

You mean Episode of Bardock? lol

Battle of Gods is one of my favourite Dragon Ball things ever tbh. I love it.

Yeah, it's going to take a while to wash that stench out of my mouth and let me see that DB movie...

Literally all of the WRONG decisions.

That's how bad Episode of Bardock was!

That's where they're different. The healing powers Trunks has in the manga isn't in the anime. He has some good team ups with Goku and Vegeta, and some good solo fights.

That's why it was so contrivied in the manga I guess...
It's probably not the only change because it's a pretty central part of the manga.

So I guess the answer to this topic would be 'maybe watch but never read'.

LotusHD

Banned

The anime and manga went in 2 completely different directions in how they handle the plot and fights.

This.

Have you noticed that they don't get clothes ripped off anymore? Remember how, when everyone got beat, they got their clothes torn? And when Goku increased his power the shirt would rip in pieces?Now, in Super they don't even bleed, but also they don't even get dirty.

I really miss 80's animations in DB (and actually every show). It was more brutal, and much better. Actually, what happened with cartoons in general? Every single new or re-released cartoon seems like it has been drawn in paint by teen crackhead on LCD.

With that said, I think DB Super is good. I don't look for every pot hole, and am not evaluating every power up that Goku gets, like many others, but for me, I tune in, and enjoy the show. I just wish this show last for a long time and that they indeed go past EoZ.

No matter how crazy fights get, everyone in Super stays clean and intact, it's annoying.

Kaji AF16

I only saw portions of Super, but IMHO it is still below GT´s finest moments (which weren´t exactly high in my books), let alone Z or classic, pre-saiyan DB. The aesthethics, general story and important plot devices (like relative power levels, new characters, transformations, etc.) aren´t being well managed.

RocknRola

25 episodes of Dragon Ball Super have aired on Cartoon Network in the United States of America

Ah, roger that.

See, those first 27 episodes are sorta filler IF you've watched the movies. If you haven't, they're brand new story and crucial bits at that. They introduce new characters and concepts that are important to the whole series.

Fj0823

The Zamazu arc was great and I will not stand for this heresy.

The poster only read Manga Zamasu which is total Goku Dick-Sucking shitshow.

It also reduces Goku Black from one of the best Villains in the franchise to the most generic "evil clone" who is also a total bitch.

The manga author has been known to do whatever the fuck he wants with Toriyama's outline. As evidenced by his constant shoving of Super Saiyan Gof everywhere.

Despite Toriyana saying it's a one time only thing through the Saiyan Ritual

Top Bottom