• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sven says No plans to bring EX Troopers westward at this time.

JazzmanZ

Whats the big deal?

Lost planet doesn't exactly sell to begin with, why bother caring about this sub game from the same franchise?

Is the game even good?

As someone who's been playing games for about as long as Capcom has been making them, it's very surreal watching them go down the shitter like this.

The funny thing is even though it was critically mauled (I really enjoyed it!) didn't Lost Planet 2 manage to ship at least 2 million?

Not a chance LP3 is even going to sniff that.

Kyoufu

As someone who's been playing games for about as long as Capcom has been making them, it's very surreal watching them go down the shitter like this.

I don't really see how they've changed from previous generations. We've always had some of their games not see localised versions.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whats the big deal?

Lost planet doesn't exactly sell to begin with, why bother caring about this sub game from the same franchise?

Is the game even good?

The trailer in the OP link looks like a ton of fun, you should watch it and decide if you'd play it for yourself.

Eusis

Uhh, isn't this possibly making a mountain out of a mole hill? Yeah, I don't have the most faith in Capcom right now, but 1) The game's not out due for two more months, and 2) "no plans" seems to actually be code for "we don't want to talk about it right now". Just look at Catherine, "no plans" and within a week or so we get an official confirmation. I have a feeling this is one of those games they would want to try to sell here, an action game for the 3DS that's probably an easier sell than something like Last Ranker.

If we do see it though I definitely don't expect to get it until something like March at the earliest, given they possibly don't give the slightest damn about localizing until it's out, whether or not they'll do it.

JordanN

Banned
Whats the big deal?

Is the game even good?
Because when choice with the option of either having "a potentially decent game" vs "no game at all", I'll always take the first one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I never even heard of EX Troope--

--Oh, it's part of Lost Planet? After two games that didn't really fix my issues with the first LP, I can't really care unless EX Troopers fixes those problems. :/

But did we have Monster Hunter PS2 in Europe? How about Monster Hunter G? Monster Hunter 2? Monster Hunter Frontier?

Nope.

No but I'm just saying it seems like game after game that Capcom seem very unsure on. Not to mention them cancelling things like MML3. Between that and Revelations, I can't figure out if they love or hate the 3DS.

Erethian

As digital download platforms increasingly make it more viable to release niche titles (because you aren't worrying about all the retail costs that really killed the financial viability of niche games in the past), it seems weird to see localisation efforts from some companies not only stay the same, but get worse.

I'd say it's fortunate that there are a lot of small players who understand this market dynamic, but then companies like Capcom don't even let them bid for the chance to localise something.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Uhh, isn't this possibly making a mountain out of a mole hill? Yeah, I don't have the most faith in Capcom right now, but 1) The game's not out due for two more months, and 2) "no plans" seems to actually be code for "we don't want to talk about it right now". Just look at Catherine, "no plans" and within a week or so we get an official confirmation. I have a feeling this is one of those games they would want to try to sell here, an action game for the 3DS that's probably an easier sell than something like Last Ranker.

If we do see it though I definitely don't expect to get it until something like March at the earliest, given they possibly don't give the slightest damn about localizing until it's out, whether or not they'll do it.

This is Capcom. The most you'll get out of a deconfirmation from them usually is "just be patient! tee hee." They either tell the fans to they're positive or neutral regarding a game's localization, but in this instance, Sven explicitly answered in the negative. "No plans."

They may reverse-confirm it's actually coming in the future, but as of right now, the last word on the subject is negative. For a company that either ignores questions about international releases or outright misdirects the community about them, the fact Sven went out of his way in the confirmation to tell people Capcom has "no plans" is about the highest level of rejection you're ever likely to get out of them.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

--Oh, it's part of Lost Planet? After two games that didn't really fix my issues with the first LP, I can't really care unless EX Troopers fixes those problems. :/
ex_troopers-1.jpeg

ex_troopers-3.jpeg

Krabboss

Whats the big deal?

Is the game even good?

Is this game good? It isn't out yet. It seems to be very similar to Lost Planet 2, though, which I liked a lot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

As the OP highlights, it's almost a different series. More of an anime-action spinoff.

Watch the trailer. Game looks really fun.

hatchx

Banned
I don't get it, is localization THAT expensive? The game is already made. The art is done. Just change the language to english and doing a limited print in NA.

Won't 30-40k in sales make it worth their effort?

I just don't get how all of the japanesey DS games came here.

Releasing EX Troopers during a dead month for 3DS (every other month) would be worthwhile.

Mileena

Banned
I don't get it, is localization THAT expensive? The game is already made. The art is done. Just change the language to english and doing a limited print in NA.

Releasing EX Troopers during a dead month for 3DS (every other month) would be worthwhile.

What makes you think this game would sell 40k on 3DS (in the US)?

VariantX

They wouldn't even have to sell it to retailers, just make it an e-shop only title.

I'm beginning to believe that Sven's only sustenance is my tears :'(

Now my only option is going to be the PS3 import (thanks again Nintendo) that I'll struggle through since I don't know Japanese.

I guess it makes sense though since Capcom want LP to be a franchise to compete with Gears and this anime offshoot would only confuse things.

Game companies need to market their games more and better. See the success of Lollipop Chainsaw from WB & Kadokawa's marketing efforts way before the game came out.

SmithnCo

I might import after someone writes an English menu/story guide. Still sucks because it will probably be more expensive than it should've been.

FoneBone

3DS version having no online play = basically zero chance of a localization. That said, I could see the PS3 version coming over as a PSN title.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
3DS version having no online play = basically zero chance of a localization. That said, I could see the PS3 version coming over as a PSN title.

No online play meaning no localization? Is that actually an expected feature in portable games now? I can't think of even... a single time I've acknowledged a portable game having an online mode...

M3d10n

No online play meaning no localization? Is that actually an expected feature in portable games now? I can't think of even... a single time I've acknowledged a portable game having an online mode...
I put three times as many hours into Resident Evil Revelaitons raid mode than I did in the single player. Online hanheld gaming is great.

FoneBone

I'm not convinced that online play actually means much for most of the portable audience either, but given that Capcom put online into SSFIV 3D and both RE games - all developed with international release in mind - and that they've said that MH isn't coming westward without online play, they seem to think otherwise.

Top Bottom