• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall PC: Pilot Hunter/CTF gone as separate modes: "not widely used, long waits"

Moofers

What the fuck? That's really unsettling. This matchmaking stuff is ruining shooters. I miss the days of being able to browse all the rooms.

GooeyHeat

So innovative. Buying incomplete games is so last-gen.

Now you can buy games that become intentionally less complete over time.
Truly the dawn of a new era.

Server browsers will always be king. The fact that PC gaming is literally REGRESSING in terms of online features is absolutely astounding.

The PC crowd didn't "move on" as it was never "there" to begin with.

I know this is anecdotal, but the members of my PC gaming community:

a) got their fill of the game during the weekend beta, decided that they'd experienced all that they needed to experience of Titanfall, and decided not to purchase it at all, or

b) decided that it was closer to being a $30 title than a $60 and are waiting until it hits that price point.

The reception for the game among the PC community was lukewarm at best.

Pretty much. I'm unfortunately
c) Suspected I had my fill, looked back with fondness of the time I played it, and hoped campaign mode would offer something significant instead of the half-assed, tacked on crap we got.

sflufan

Banned
So there are lobby's too in the pc version? Can't you just join any ongoing server like bf4? I was thinking of getting this with the 40% off... but if it has lobby's I am not touching this with a 10 foot poll!

Yes, there are lobbies for matchmaking. There is no server browser like BF4.

BigDug13

Wait. I'm not much of a console FPS gamer and play them on PC. This game doesn't have drop-in/drop-out server lists where you can just see the population of a server and join it, even on PC? WTF has happened to FPS gaming?

EvB

CTF, really? Fuck this playlist bullshit, if they actually cared about their "amazing and large PC audience" they would have implemented a server browser by now.

How would a server browser fix the fact nobody was playing?

also, the servers don't exist until somebody is playing in one, so all you would see is a small number of full servers

Salsa

are you fucking kidding me

CTF was awesome and my most played type

holy shit I really like tiranfall and wasn't bothered by most complaints but this is absolutely ridiculous

aeolist

Banned
Wait. I'm not much of a console FPS gamer and play them on PC. This game doesn't have drop-in/drop-out server lists where you can just see the population of a server and join it, even on PC? WTF has happened to FPS gaming?

halo and cod happened

Jito

Banned
Game really needs a server browser anyway, it takes long enough finding games on Hardpoint as it is, next thing I know they'll just remove the gametype, all playlists Attriction from now on.

hawk2025

Lest we forget, and at the risk of looking like I'm piling on in an unrelated topic, us Xbox One players are still waiting for the performance and/or resolution patch that was talked about a month before launch.

While I'm at it, the matchmaking algorithm was bad from the jump and needed more time to cook. At least that improved over time, so I'll give Respawn credit for that.

Hilarious

Lest we forget, and at the risk of looking like I'm piling on in an unrelated topic, us Xbox One players are still waiting for the performance and/or resolution patch that was talked about a month before launch.

Yea I wanted to get deeper into Titanfall but I wanted to wait for the patch. Guess it's not coming,

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I was going to buy the new map pack and play some rounds of CTF on it. Now i don't have a reason to it. Thank You Respawn/EA for saving me some money.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Yes, there are lobbies for matchmaking. There is no server browser like BF4.

abe-simpson-gif.gif

Thanks!!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I wonder if they patched out any game modes in cod 4... oh wait the community can host its own servers and isnt crippled by a lobby system. Silly me.

Not on consoles. But they never did because those modes were being played constantly.

I don't know the server populations for CTF and the other one, but Conquest and Team Deathmatch are the two popular modes. It sucks, but I guess it makes sense in "we don't want players to wait five minutes for one match."

Just goes to show they needed more modes and other factors instead of LESS (and only really one that does things radically different from Deathmatching which obviously is the less popular mode that is being taken out. :/)

Huh, was gonna grab this on a $20 sale or something. But if they're removing shit, that makes my purchasing decision easier. Thanks for saving me a few bucks.

Complete idiocy.

fishbang

MP shooters need server browsers, not shitty matchmaking.

Strictly in terms of the PC, you're absolutely right. Additionally, they need community stewardship, not publisher lordship, which isn't possible without dedicated server binaries and mod-friendly (or at least fan-made-map-friendly) code.

Hip Hop

How would a server browser fix the fact nobody was playing?

also, the servers don't exist until somebody is playing in one, so all you would see is a small number of full servers

Because automatic matchmaking does not work for small communities. Even if there are people playing in a mode, it may never connect you. I don't know why.

Call of Duty has this problem with older titles and so do other less popular games with matchmaking.

Server browser fixes this problem.

mephixto

Banned
You're talking out of your ass dude.

CoD PC had the exact same problem with certain game modes, as does every game. It has nothing to do with it being out there every year. The "same gameplay" argument would work if it was the DM modes with small queues, not the niche modes.

I still see modes in MW2, MW3, BLOPS, BLOPS2 and Ghost with less tha 50 people playing them, still there and not removed since launch.

Rigidly controlled matchmaking playlists need to die, both on consoles and PC.

I can't imagine that its impossible to develop a system that provides the benefits of matchmaking with the benefits of a server browser.

Kade

I don't know why people keep posting.

do you even know the reason why they are doing this? It's right there in the headline.

How else can I demonstrate my inability to read and my uneducated stance/viewpoint while increasing my post count at the same time?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guess it's too hard just to add something like this in

http://i.imgur.com/JH9TCiU.png

If DICE of all people can finally do it on consoles after 3 previous outings
and one before those three that DID have it, sup BF2: Modern Combat
there is NO excuse to not have a server browser in your freaking multiplayer shooter now a days.

Fucking Bungie ruining console shooters and multiplayer for PC with this stupid matchmaking bullshit.

maybe they shouldnt have released it on origin

or had matchmaking over community run servers with a browser

i dunno im not one of them vidya game types so who knows

DarkFlow

Banned
I quit playing months ago. It's shitty matchmaking that would dump all the best players on one team, and then never reshuffle them after each match kinda killed all the fun.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just got this for $23, and the first match I tried in campaign had me waiting for like 7 minutes. That makes me worry what it'll be like a year from now.

BigDug13

Rigidly controlled matchmaking playlists need to die, both on consoles and PC.

I can't imagine that its impossible to develop a system that provides the benefits of matchmaking with the benefits of a server browser.

What are the benefits of matchmaking exactly? If I'm in a server where I'm getting my ass kicked too much, I just go back to the server browser and choose another server. Then I slog away until I get better at the game.

Sitting in a lobby waiting for the game to fill a room with enough people matched to a specific level before I can start playing sounds like the worst thing ever.

Jito

Banned
What are the benefits of matchmaking exactly? If I'm in a server where I'm getting my ass kicked too much, I just go back to the server browser and choose another server. Then I slog away until I get better at the game.

Sitting in a lobby waiting for the game to fill a room with enough people matched to a specific level before I can start playing sounds like the worst thing ever.

Titanfall doesn't even do that though, it's all completely random with no skill based matchmaking at all. You'll have gen 10s playing with people who haven't even re genned once.

Foshy

Haven't played Titanfall in a long time, but CTF was the best mode in my opinion. The game mechanics really came to shine there. Sucks.

PayaV87

EA gonna be EA, those Azure servers cost a lot, it seems.

BTW, I know it's anecdotal, but I've never had a problem playing CTF on my PC, but Last Titan Standing was hard to get a full lobby.

Still, they've could've done a lot of things, to keep it alive. Custom Servers, Server Browser, or atleast a f*ing weekly promotion for double XP on those modes. You know, if you see there is a problem, you try to fix it first, not closing down immediately.

I guess that I have 20 hours sum in Titanfall, and 22 hours in CS:GO in the last two weeks! says it all. (About 230 hours in CS:GO)

EA had a really great dev, a cool new IP, and let them mess up. EA should've help them, never lock out PS fans, and leaving out a decent co-op and a singleplayer, and more multiplayer modes.

I mean man... These guys made the most epic SP campaigns last gen! And they never saw any Power Rangers show? Combining titans to fight giant monsters in coop would have been awesome! 1 Titan versus 4 pilot mode? You know, what Turtle Rock guys are doing? Why not implement that? Why there is no competitve matches, with actual rankings, like in CS:GO or LoL?

I guess that's what TitanFall 2 will be. Or it should be.

Wow, I haven't played Titanfall in a week or two but CTF is my favorite game type on the X1. Is the PC community really that small already?

Top Bottom