• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

Linkura

Finally shipped. I cannot wait to finally play through this. I quit a couple hours in back when it was released. I was a bit busy when it was initially released with a new born.

Mine shipped like a half hour after you posted. Took them fuckers long enough.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Sitting here, slogging through World of Final Fantasy, idly wondering why it isn't tomorrow yet...

Xandremi

My copy just came in today along with Gravity rush even though its going straight into my backlog since GR2 is my main game than RE7. I did my part, the rest is up to yall :p

Aeana

At the beginning, is there any reason to pump skill points into anything other than swords/clubs?

Boomerangs are overwhelmingly better for regular fights. You will get through them much faster with boomerangs than any single target weapon (boomerangs hit all enemies). Yangus's club skills in general are pretty blah, I strongly recommend going axes for him. His first axe skill is an ability that lowers enemy defense (invaluable), and he also learns a skill to crit or miss, which is great for hunting metal enemies.

PikkonX

Boomerangs are overwhelmingly better for regular fights. You will get through them much faster with boomerangs than any single target weapon (boomerangs hit all enemies). Yangus's club skills in general are pretty blah, I strongly recommend going axes for him. His first axe skill is an ability that lowers enemy defense (invaluable), and he also learns a skill to crit or miss, which is great for hunting metal enemies.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Just went into town and purchased my first boomerang. Looks like there's no axes for purchase just yet though.

Linkura

They fucked up for me. Mine won't be here until Monday. Just gonna pick it up tomorrow at GS and return the Amazon one.

Sorry to hear that. They finally shipped mine to arrive tomorrow. I hope you are going to complain to their CS and get a free month of Prime or some credit.

Weirdly I live in MA and it is shipping from Texas. I guess they're going to overnight it.

MrMephistoX

Might get this eventually...but am holding out hope for an HD PS2 port to PS4 or Switch. Loved this game until my launch PS3 died before I could back up my saves.
I was about 30 hours in and never beat it.

nakedeyes

Banned
All preloaded up with the eShop version. I'm bailing on finishing the rest of DQ VII for now to play VIII.. but I feel like I had enough fun with my ~20 hours with it.

Pre-ordered at GameStop a few days ago so I could get the bonus 3DS carrying pouch. Sad to say I just recently unlocked All Trades Abbey in DQ VII so I am gonna have my hands full. Heck, I'll tackle both! This game just looks too fun.

Aeana

People who have played the original version might be interested in knowing that there were a couple of skill nerfs in this version. Helm splitter now reduces defense by 25% per use instead of 50%, and twin dragon lash is weaker than it was (but still good, just not completely insane like before). None of the changes affected my personal preferred skill set up, though. Morrie and Red have some great skills too.

I would say that people who have played the game before but never tried a fisticuffs build with any of the characters should definitely give it a try. It's super fun, and thin air attack is ridiculous.

Jacobbles

Started playing last night with the orchestrated OST patch, having a blast. The increased speed setting in battle is a godsend!

Zesh

Clubs were buffed a bit and Helm Splitter was nerfed, which makes Clubs relatively more appealing than they were in the PS2 version. I doubt it's enough to make them better than Axes, but I haven't played this version yet.

Emitan

People who have played the original version might be interested in knowing that there were a couple of skill nerfs in this version. Helm splitter now reduces defense by 25% per use instead of 50%, and twin dragon lash is weaker than it was (but still good, just not completely insane like before). None of the changes affected my personal preferred skill set up, though. Morrie and Red have some great skills too.

I would say that people who have played the game before but never tried a fisticuffs build with any of the characters should definitely give it a try. It's super fun, and thin air attack is ridiculous.

I'm thinking about cutting spears on hero to try fisticuffs.

EDIT: eShop version can be played now!

Aeana

Clubs were buffed a bit and Helm Splitter was nerfed, which makes Clubs relatively more appealing than they were in the PS2 version. I doubt it's enough to make them better than Axes, but I haven't played this version yet.

I mentioned the helm splitter nerf above, but I'm not aware of any club buff. The skills themselves are the same, and they're too specific to be particularly great IMO, requiring specific families of monsters and such. I wouldn't even use them on Morrie considering his other skill lines.

Is there any character who's a better candidate than the rest to invest in fisticuffs?

I'd love to give Jessica something to do during mob fights instead of just hoarding MP, but does the main damage stat pull from the character's strength?

Anyone know where/when the new monster:
Crème caraslime
shows up once you've killed 30
slimes
?

I've been all over, can't seem to see it, and I really wanted to finish all the photo challenges before I go to the next area.

Never mind. Found it. Night time at the crossroads south of Farebury. Might not require night, but eh.

I have a couple questions. Is the storyline good? For a lengthy rpg that has been so praised I expect that it is. Also is the combat fun or does it become a chore after 30+ hours? And how's the exploration? I've never played a dragon quest game before.

X-Factor

Is "Le Club Puff-Puff" censored in the 3DS version?

The hidden Club Puff-Puff requires the Ultimate Key to enter.

PS2 version shown in the video link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGDR9ZXunKU

It seems like something they would do considering a lot of outfits, and at least one major cutscene was censored in the 3DS version.

fzvzMTD.jpg

Copy just shipped earlier today and is arriving tomorrow. Rather surprising given Amazon normally doesn't do this for me

Any other particular builds worth trying?

Zesh

I mentioned the helm splitter nerf above, but I'm not aware of any club buff. The skills themselves are the same, and they're too specific to be particularly great IMO, requiring specific families of monsters and such. I wouldn't even use them on Morrie considering his other skill lines.

Slight buffs to Monster Masher and Devil Crusher, as noted in post #3 here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/160146-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/74285610

Agreed, though, in that they're still not very good; Axes are still more versatile.

Is there any character who's a better candidate than the rest to invest in fisticuffs?

I'd love to give Jessica something to do during mob fights instead of just hoarding MP, but does the main damage stat pull from the character's strength?

Thin Air in particular doesn't rely on stats, and does 2*Level + 30 damage to all enemies. Getting Thin Air on Jessica does have a relatively high opportunity cost as she has valuable skills in the Staff and Sex Appeal trees, but she does have the MP to use the skill pretty liberally.

Yangus has less opportunity cost, but his MP pool isn't very large and he's pretty slow. The Hero could invest in Boomerangs and get Super Throw as an alternative to Thin Air.

Thin Air in particular doesn't rely on stats, and does 2*Level + 30 damage to all enemies. Getting Thin Air on Jessica does have a relatively high opportunity cost as she has valuable skills in the Staff and Sex Appeal trees, but she does have the MP to use the skill pretty liberally.

Yangus has less opportunity cost, but his MP pool isn't very large and he's pretty slow. The Hero could invest in Boomerangs and get Super Throw as an alternative to Thin Air.
Thank you very much for this.

It does sound like it'll be hard to break the set of skill investments I had in the PS2 game. Hero/Boomerang, Yangus/Axe, Jessica/Staff, Angelo/Sword just seem so completely optimized to my playstyle.

Dakhil

Yeah, Amazon just informed me that Dragon Quest VIII has been shipped from San Bernardino, CA. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
What are some build recommendations for Jessica and Angelo?

I went Swords/Courage for the hero and Axes for Yangus... yes, I know, I'm boring.

RDreamer

Are copies of this looking to be pretty limited? I doubt I'll have much time to actually play it for a while, but am tempted to pick it up for later.

chrono01

I need some suggestions for main character names, I'm bad at naming

And don't say Eight :p
I went with "Hiro", when I first played it on the PS2. It's close enough to "Hero", without it actually being it. I'll probably do the same thing here.

Actually, I'll likely just call him "Hero" and be done with it. Creativity be damned.

Zolo

I need some suggestions for main character names, I'm bad at naming

For silent protagonists, I usually just use my own name since the character's not an actual character anyway unless it's one of the games with a selectable gender where I always pick female (for the DQ games anyway).

Meffer

I went with "Hiro", when I first played it on the PS2. It's close enough to "Hero", without it actually being it. I'll probably do the same thing here.

Actually, I'll likely just call him "Hero" and be done with it. Creativity be damned.

I named him Nemo. That's a good name that fits him well I feel.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Is "Le Club Puff-Puff" censored in the 3DS version?

The hidden Club Puff-Puff requires the Ultimate Key to enter.

PS2 version shown in the video link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGDR9ZXunKU

It seems like something they would do considering a lot of outfits, and at least one major cutscene was censored in the 3DS version.

Why on Earth? The game would be PEGI 12/Teen regardless. It's because of everything they cut for a CERO A, sure, but it's stupid to do that in the West.

Zesh

What are some build recommendations for Jessica and Angelo?

I went Swords/Courage for the hero and Axes for Yangus... yes, I know, I'm boring.

With those builds, you'll be set for single target coverage, so some support and mob coverage would be helpful. You could invest in Fisticuffs for Jessica for Thin Air (probably pick up Acceleratle at 3 Staves first), and then move on to Staves. For Angelo, I'd start with either Staves for support and early Caduceus, or Bows for some MP regen and a bit more offense.

Ray Down

Banned
Okay for those that have played this version already what are the good builds for the characters?

Like in the PS2 Jessica was best with Whips, Hero Spear and courage, etc.

Haven't played Dragon Quest VIII in a very long time. Probably won't get to it for awhil, but I can't help but buy these to support the franchise. Probably the only franchise I do that with.

Ok, give it to me straight. I played through Dragon Quest VII and half enjoyed it, but not enough to go into a game in the same series of equal length.

Should I pick up DQ8 or just play SMT Apocalypse

Top Bottom