• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We'll find out what happened to Tidus between Final Fantasy X and X-2

Ray Down

Banned
Lmao what is this Tidus explodes meme?

His head explodes in the audio drama.

Yuna breaks up with him stranded on an island from a storm, he get's frustrated and kicks what he thinks is a blitzball.

Turns out to be a bomb that launch his head right in front of Yuna.

Laplasakos

Remember when we had a ton of rumors that Square Enix was making Final Fantasy X-3 and they released a bunch of stuff related to it and then announced Mobius?

I suspect this game was originally Final Fantasy X-3, and got rebranded when the new CEO took over and told them to stop reviving franchises only on mobile.

I don't think there was ever a rumor that FFX-3 was in development. There was much speculation about it after the audio drama that came with FFX/X-2 HD but nothing more. Every time Square was asked about it the response was that they want to make it but there is not free staff at the moment. Hashimoto was asked again this summer and he said that both Nomura and Kitase want to make it but it's not possible right now because of VIIR.

Marcel

Lmao what is this Tidus explodes meme?

Tidus and Yuna end up shipwrecked on an unknown island that resembles Besaid and Tidus theorizes they have traveled back in time a thousand years. Tidus is killed in a freak accident when he mistakes an ancient bomb of Bevelle make for a blitzball. Yuna faints from the shock, and unknowingly beckons Tidus back into the world with him none the wiser of what happened.

It's canon

Arkeband

Banned
Remember when we had a ton of rumors that Square Enix was making Final Fantasy X-3 and they released a bunch of stuff related to it and then announced Mobius?

I suspect this game was originally Final Fantasy X-3, and got rebranded when the new CEO took over and told them to stop reviving franchises only on mobile.

You think a Mobius map was an entire game at some point? Because that’s all this sounds like it’s going to be, like 80 nodes across some boards like the Lightning event we just had, with some “cutscenes” where WOL asks Tidus what his truth is, and then Tidus will say “that’s my truth”, and WOL will shrug his shoulders and say “I guess I’ll have to keep searching for the true truth.”, because that’s what the writing in Mobius is like.

Reminder to everyone that between FFX and FFX-2 Tidus simply didn’t exist, so going on a boring journey on a mobile title where they fight assets pulled straight from FFX/X-2 HD Remaster for hours on autobattle and ask themselves deep questions with no answers is the expectation you should have.

Carlisle

The future is more Final Fantasy characters with ambiguous fates and more click bait reveals tied to F2P mobile spinoffs.

Square Enix has become all too self-aware.

No matter what dumb stunts they pull, they know we care too much to ignore it.

EDIT: Tidus kicks a bomb?! I never bothered to listen to that! That's awesome! Keep that canon!

Axass

Yuna breaks up with him stranded on an island from a storm, he get's frustrated and kick what he thinks is a blitzball.

Oh come on, what the heck are you guys talking about? Can't possibly be true, don't do this to me.

Dawson_Crying.gif

I never liked X much but I feel genuinely sorry for people that are heavily invested in these characters.
The lack of respect some companies show for their legacy and fans can be shocking.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You think a Mobius map was an entire game at some point? Because that's all this sounds like it's going to be, like 80 nodes across some boards like the Lightning event we just had, with some ”cutscenes" where WOL asks Tidus what his truth is, and then Tidus will say ”that's my truth", and WOL will shrug his shoulders and say ”I guess I'll have to keep searching for the true truth.", because that's what the writing in Mobius is like.

Reminder to everyone that between FFX and FFX-2 Tidus simply didn't exist, so going on a boring journey on a mobile title where they fight assets pulled straight from FFX/X-2 HD Remaster for hours on autobattle and ask themselves deep questions with no answers is the expectation you should have.
No, I think Mobius itself was FFX-3, not the event map they're adding in now, in the same way Bravely Default was originally Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of the Light 2 or Assassin's Creed was Prince of Persia: Assassins.

SoulUnison

Banned
wait what

Yuna dumps Tidus and he gets all grumpy-pants.
While they're stranded on an island during a storm, he sees what he thinks is a Blitzball on the beach and runs to kick it.
It's actually an ancient Machina bomb, and his kick sets it off.
He's decapitated/dismembered in the explosion, and his disembodied head lands at Yuna's feet, Looney Tunes style.

This is 100% canon.

If it's anything like the FF13 event, I wouldn't expect anything good.

Lightning finds her way to Palamecia. She doesn't think she's Lightning, but the MC and Echo tell her she is. Enter 2 full maps (or about 2 hours of content) of conversations about how awesome Lightning is and why Lightning is strong. At the end she realizes she is Lightning, gets super powerful because she remembers that she is Lightning. The MC duels Lightning, remarks how strong Lightning is and how she was holding back.

Then you climb a tower full of fake Lightnings

pizzacat

Banned

Lightning finds her way to Palamecia. She doesn't think she's Lightning, but the MC and Echo tell her she is. Enter 2 full maps (or about 2 hours of content) of conversations about how awesome Lightning is and why Lightning is strong. At the end she realizes she is Lightning, gets super powerful because she remembers that she is Lightning. The MC duels Lightning, remarks how strong Lightning is and how she was holding back.

AND THEN YOU WHAT

IS THERE A VIDEO OF THIS

RRockman

Banned

There is a reason She who must not be named needs to be put to rest.

Dao Puppy

Neo Member
Yuna dumps Tidus and he gets all grumpy-pants.
While they're stranded on an island during a storm, he sees what he thinks is a Blitzball on the beach and runs to kick it.
It's actually an ancient Machina bomb, and his kick sets it off.
He's decapitated/dismembered in the explosion, and his disembodied head lands at Yuna's feet, Looney Tunes style.

This is 100% canon.

I've heard this part before but the only thing sillier has got to be what happens to put him back together.

I say that, but i don't know what it is - I'm asking, what puts him back together?

Laplasakos

Haha what? Is this true?

I love FFX threads because, every time, there are people in them who aren't aware of the FFX-2.5 thing and it's an opportunity to make them know about it. They must KNOW. Everyone must KNOW how crazy Nojima has become.

Yuna breaks up with him stranded on an island from a storm, he get's frustrated and kicks what he thinks is a blitzball.

I cant believe they shat on the ffx canon with this... Who even wrote this garbage?

Marcel

I love FFX threads because, every time, there are people in them who aren't aware of the FFX-2.5 thing and it's an opportunity to make them know about it. They must KNOW. Everyone must KNOW how crazy Nojima has become.

Nojima has been a bad writer for a while in case you forgot that he was the scenario planner for fucking Advent Children.

AzureFlame

he lost his mind indeed.

Nojima is angry that his original Versus XIII story never saw the light of the day and now he is creating all these crazy stories on purpose.

The Burning Anger.

Laplasakos

Nojima is angry that his original Versus XIII story never saw the light of the day and now he is creating all these crazy stories on purpose.

You guys forgot the icing on the cake about the audio drama:
Sin is back!
We learn this fact and then that's it, THE END. Yet Square pretend they didn't have an FFX-3 in mind, lmao

I've heard this part before but the only thing sillier has got to be what happens to put him back together.

I say that, but i don't know what it is - I'm asking, what puts him back together?
There's some bullshit about how people in Spira are suddenly able to wish things back and it turns out somebody wanted Sin back, so now Sin is a thing again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Are they going to explain why the Fayth were huge fucking dicks who had the power to make Tidus alive whenever they felt like it but then didn't do it because "fuck you Yuna you haven't earned our gratitude"

AND THEN YOU WHAT

IS THERE A VIDEO OF THIS

Well, keep in mind there's a ranking tower event where you defeat a gauntlet of enemies every month in Mobius and they usually attach a story to it. This one was themed around Lightning, so they explained in universe that the Lightnings are the shadow of her true power or some nonsense.Trying to find the video of the cutscenes brb.

edit: found it

Haha what? Is this true?

I might have forgotten a detail here or there but that's the gist of it. Really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7TQry-kzI

Wow. This is so weird - I was just thinking, "hey whatever the happen fuck happen to Tidus between x and x2?" Can't believe I'm finding out soon. Wow thx Square.

What. The. Fuck.

inner-G

Banned
I never liked X much but I feel genuinely sorry for people that are heavily invested in these characters.
The lack of respect some companies show for their legacy and fans can be shocking.
I’ve basically just written Square-Enix completely off at this point. Octopath Traveler is the only thing they have going I’m remotely excited for, and they still have time to screw that up. Even the KH3 demo feels janky and not like something they would have made when they had their act together.

As far as the FF series, basically everything after XII feels like they’ve lost their way.

TheCed

That moment when you have to accept that the Sonic the Hedgehog is a better written Franchise than Final Fantasy nowadays.

*I know we're not that low yet... Still...*

Ydelnae

No, I think Mobius itself was FFX-3, not the event map they're adding in now, in the same way Bravely Default was originally Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of the Light 2 or Assassin's Creed was Prince of Persia: Assassins.

I don't think they even got to the part of planning to make an actual X-3. The S-E way of doing new games is developing a rough concept, teasing them in rereleases/spin-offs and then actually finding staff to get the game developed. They love to give people the illusion that these games could be made soon, but nobody is actually working on them.

We got it with the FFVII sequel at the end of Dirge of Cerberus, we got it with Type-1 at the end of Type-0 HD, we got it with the new TWEWY at the end of the mobile port, and we got it again with this. And now they are making Ivalice content for XIV while saying stuff like "this could mean something!!" when in reality they don't even have a clue on what people would even make all these dream projects.

Top Bottom