• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•15-17•17 - Assassin and mother! clowned, lack "IT" factor

Ahasverus

Really doubt anything is gonna match IT.

Pennywise is a horror icon, he/it gives the movie a huge push that any other King adaptation is gonna be lacking. Creepy clowns are popular and Pennywise is a draw that wont be matched.
That's true and all but a general opinion is that, at least in this adaptation, Pennywise is not the highlight.

I think It Lives and dies by his characters.

That's true and all but a general opinion is that, at least in this adaptation, Pennywise is not the highlight.

I think It Lives and dies by his characters.

Did anyone have hype for the Losers before this movie came out? The marketing and all the hype is on Pennywise from day one. The reveal of the new Pennywise was huge internet news, he's integral to the success. King's other properties that could use a good adaptation don't have the "it" factor going for them.

berzeli

Banned
There was no real marketing that was going to get Mother to an opening that would justify its budget.

The WOM backlash is because marketing offered one version of the film and it's something completely different, but there's no way to get across what it is and still put butts in seats.

It's simply not that kind of film. It's another The Fountain: budget too high for a film that's pure arthouse and will probably have a cult following for years to come. It'll make slightly more it seem, for slightly less of a budget. Neon Demon was the same way.

Like folks are talking about "new", but Mother! is more "different". Hollywood makes new films all the time. Moonlight did $65 million. Arrival, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Hail, Caesar!, 10 Cloverfield Lane, It Comes at Night, Ex Machina, and Room all made money off the top of my head. All were films with some original ideas or presentation.

Films like Mother (and Neon Demon) probably should go the route of something like Okja, running on Netflix or Amazon Instant, where folks are more open to experimental projects.

But no, Mother's poor box office performance doesn't really mean anything for audiences, anymore than it's uneven critical reception does. Not everyone wants to see an allegory for either Christian myth or the process of creation, no matter how well acted it is.
Neon Demon cost sub $10 million and was actually distributed by Amazon, it was also partially funded by grants so that helped.

And there are things that Paramount could have done marketing wise that would have helped mother!, they should have released a trailer earlier (even that weird ass one with no picture and only sound), and they really shouldn't have moved the film to the week after It.

But I do agree with your overall points.

I just saw Mother! and I liked it, but then again I'm an Aronofsky fan. It definitely just goes nuts at the end and if you haven't caught on it doesn't care and leans in harder. It also works as a metaphor for just creating in general.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The big market scene in valerian is still one of my favorites of the year. Some wonderful locations wasted in the movie.

GhaleonEB

The daily tracking across the weekend on mother! is dreadful. It's going to crater during the week, drop hard next weekend, and vanish from theaters thereafter.

Superb drop for It. Seems on track for $350m with a shot at being the highest grossing R rated film.

Glad to see Wind River trucking along. I might catch it again this week. Still my favorite film of the year so far.

Into Darkness soured a lot of people, and then the marketing for Beyond was awful too.

Devin Faraci almost singlehandedly kickstarting the bullshit narrative that Into Darkness was a bad movie will never stop astounding/confounding me.

People don't even realize it was him when they spit that shit, either. Like, all his trash talking points are coming out of their mouths and they don't even know where they sourced back to.

Shit sucks, man. Into Darkness is a good but flawed movie, and while it has some amazing unforced errors, it's a damn sight better than 2/3rds of the rest of Trek's film output.

And then one slow news day, Faraci publishes an article from the floor of a Trek Convention and suddenly "Into Darkness" is forever "one of the worst Trek movies ever made, a lame Wrath of Khan ripoff that doesn't make any sense" and that's all she wrote.

Ahasverus

Devin Faraci almost singlehandedly kickstarting the bullshit narrative that Into Darkness was a bad movie will never stop astounding/confounding me.

People don't even realize it was him when they spit that shit, either. Like, all his trash talking points are coming out of their mouths and they don't even know where they sourced back to.

Shit sucks, man. Into Darkness is a good but flawed movie, and while it has some amazing unforced errors, it's a damn sight better than 2/3rds of the rest of Trek's film output.

And then one slow news day, Faraci publishes an article from the floor of a Trek Convention and suddenly "Into Darkness" is forever "one of the worst Trek movies ever made, a lame Wrath of Khan ripoff that doesn't make any sense" and that's all she wrote.
Faraci is film media cancer, that's why it would suck if after being a certified molester he's given more chances to corrupt the media.

So Faraci started that bullshit? More reason to dislike him.
And Into Darkness was good, dammit.

Couldn't agree more. I love Into Darkness. Think it was much better than Beyond

Beyond felt like an episode of a TV Show not a big tentpole Movie to me. I get why hardcore Trek fans like that about it but I prefer the Trek reboot and ID by a landslide

Yeah, I did the homework in one of the Star Trek threads awhile back, but basically, most all negative press regarding the film, and specifically the "Wrath of Khan ripoff" and "Worst Trek ever made" talking points source STRAIGHT back to one article by Faraci at BMD. It's kinda astounding how many outlets linked & blurbed it in the space of a week.

that narrative set up faster than if Medusa herself had looked at it.

Yeah, I did the homework in one of the Star Trek threads awhile back, but basically, most all negative press regarding the film, and specifically the "Wrath of Khan ripoff" and "Worst Trek ever made" talking points source STRAIGHT back to one article by Faraci at BMD. It's kinda astounding how many outlets linked & blurbed it in the space of a week.

Just look what happened with Homecoming. That one random article about it's Friday to Friday drop created a narrative the film was underperforming.

If something takes off sometimes all it takes is one shitty article to create a narrative

Into Darkness is obviously better than Final Frontier, The Motion Picture, any of the TNG films save First Contact, but other than that... I don't know. That last act really is pretty bad; "Khaaaan!", tribble resurrection, an average chase scene, and a classic example of weightless CGI destruction.

There's also a possibility Orci was pushing a 9/11 truther agenda.

Really? I feel like that stuff popped up kind of quick.

Off the top of my head, Bob Chipman was one of the first internet review guys to take Into Darkness to task.

I don't get "tribble resurrection" as a serious knock.

Basically, my answer to anyone trying to nitpick Star Trek's very loose relationship with science (to the point where it's just magic with way too many syllables attached) is "They traveled back in time by flying really fast around the sun."

Plus try to explain anything that happens in Vulcan society. I'll buy that Khan has magic blood because I already buy that Spock can download his entire soul into McCoy by touching his fucking head and muttering.

The last reel of Into Darkness is messy as hell, yes. And Orci's truther shit was wafting over it, yeah. But I don't think Abrams actually let it in to any serious degree. It's a conspiracy thriller (Star Trek's done those before) but it's colored by knowing one of its writers is a fucking idiot

Then again, so was Roddenberry

Really? I feel like that stuff popped up kind of quick.

Off the top of my head, Bob Chipman was one of the first internet review guys to take Into Darkness to task.

Yeah, it was mostly Faraci. "MovieBob" didn't really land, even if he beat Devin to the punch. It was that article from the convention that cemented the narrative.

Shauni

I mean, I think Into Darkness kind of sucks and I have no idea who these people are. I just don't think it was particularly good or well-made. *Shrug*

Y'all need to ease up on some of this mother! plot talk. It's getting dangerously close to spoiler territory and I feel like this is the one movie that I can cry foul on.

Top Bottom