• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•15-17•17 - Assassin and mother! clowned, lack "IT" factor

"Jonathan and I actually stopped time and waited for these very toothy balls to show up, but we were ready, and with the help of our friend Tom and a very large burlap sack, we managed to grab two of them and nip through the sort of... how would you describe it Jonathan?"

"It's indescribable really. Sort of like a satiny, gauzy time vagina, I guess? Tom?"

(high pitched warbling mumble)

"Yes, that's probably the perfect description of it. Anyway, we built a working airport full of people and then let those little buggers loose and made sure the IMAX was pointing at them the whole time."

"Quite simple, really."

(lower, guttural mumbling warble)

(everybody laughs)

Devin Faraci almost singlehandedly kickstarting the bullshit narrative that Into Darkness was a bad movie will never stop astounding/confounding me.

People don't even realize it was him when they spit that shit, either. Like, all his trash talking points are coming out of their mouths and they don't even know where they sourced back to.

Shit sucks, man. Into Darkness is a good but flawed movie, and while it has some amazing unforced errors, it's a damn sight better than 2/3rds of the rest of Trek's film output.

And then one slow news day, Faraci publishes an article from the floor of a Trek Convention and suddenly "Into Darkness" is forever "one of the worst Trek movies ever made, a lame Wrath of Khan ripoff that doesn't make any sense" and that's all she wrote.

I don't know what his talking points were and I did enjoy the movie, but it did in fact make no sense and had similar problems to the prior film, so I ended up skipping Beyond in theaters. Ended up being by far the best New Trek movie, too.

berzeli

Banned
Ninjago will do decently, but less than Batman. Of course, what else is there right now for kids?
Emoji, and Leap! <- the exclamation point is part of the title, I'm not excited by either film.
So basically nothing.

And I think some people in here are underestimating the popularity of ninjago, not saying it is massive or anything but the kids to seem to like it quite a bit.
Still, I don't think it will do massive numbers but it should do all right (maybe in the $150 million range or thereabouts).

IT is already the highest grossing King movie ever, and soon will double the Green Mile (by next weekend probably). And as much of a bomb as the Dark Tower is, it's still 7th on the list of King adaptations out of 40 movies, and might squeak by Stand by Me to be 6th.

Ridley327

The worst thing I'd say about ST:ID was that it was rather unremarkable and maybe wastes some good ideas due to some mediocre-at-best execution. I do find it weird that Abrams spent so much time developing it with his dastardly trio, since it struck me as the kind of script you have to whip up because you ran out of time and just got dated by the studio.

Does it earn any of its ill reputation? No, I don't think so, but I don't think it deserves much of a reputation at all. It's just there, you know?

It's very weird anyone consider it anywhere close to the worst Trek movie, when there are lots of bad Trek movies. What does hurt it for me is the absolute wasted potential and very sloppy script. It was "okay" but it should have been awesome.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kingsman reviews should be dropping in like 2 hours. I'm betting 70ish RT score.

jett

D-Member
Into Darkness was by-the-numbers blockbuster filmmaking, if I'm feeling generous. There's only so much Chris Pine's charming personality can do.

There is really no need to defend an Orci/Kurtzman joint like this.

Toa TAK

Banned
Eggsy is right there bruv
>_>

tumblr_notazgYjqa1uoqxfwo3_250.gif

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't know what his talking points were and I did enjoy the movie, but it did in fact make no sense and had similar problems to the prior film, so I ended up skipping Beyond in theaters. Ended up being by far the best New Trek movie, too.

I'll never get the love for Beyond. Piss poor villain. TV show level characterisation. Spock and Uhura stuff was woeful. Feeling like a Star Trek episode with a budget isn't good enough in this day and age.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Saw IT on friday and really enjoyed it, glad to see it's doing so well. Theater was packed too.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Roxy about to get done like Capt Pike in Into Darkness.

Schlorgan

I'll never get the love for Beyond. Piss poor villain. TV show level characterisation. Spock and Uhura stuff was woeful. Feeling like a Star Trek episode with a budget isn't good enough in this day and age.
It's not like those things were done better in the other two.

Slayven

Put on your oven mitts, Hot take time

The Abramsverse Trek movies never felt like Star Trek. And would been better suited as a new IP

jett

D-Member

It honestly was a struggle to finish that movie.

I'm all for ST episodes with a budget.

It wasn't perfect, but it was free of some of the more head-scratching moments from the first two, and was very engaging.

The Abramsverse Trek movies never felt like Star Trek. And would been better suited as a new IP

This is not controversial.

Ill be curious to see how mother! does next week. I rushed out to see it because I thought it might lose the showings at my small local theater lol

IT is fucking dominating though Jesus

DeathyBoy

Banned

That's because Star Trek tried to commit suicide and Abrams had to CPR it back to life. But he's not a miracle worker.

JCHandsom

I think there will be a big fall off from the original. I just feel in my bones.

Is it me, or is Channing Tatum's character not really in the film all that much? Like, it seems like he shows up in one or two scenes, but everything with the Statesmen action-wise seems to involve the mustachioed guy.

Also, Not-Hot Take: Into Darkness was a mediocre film that wasted the newness of the Abrahmsverse by trying to keep the audience guessing with constant twists and by trying to live up to the best Trek film.

Top Bottom