• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•15-17•17 - Assassin and mother! clowned, lack "IT" factor

tomtom94

Dreamworks announced that the Croods 2 will be happening after all. Sept 18, 2020.

If people want to make predictions for Kingsman 2 and Ninjago this weekend, now is the time to do so.

Is this the first time the popularity of a Netflix TV series has helped get a film a theatrical sequel?

I don't think that Kingsman hits $45M. Reviews are mediocre so far, and the hype doesn't seem to be there.

I was gonna guess somewhere between 45-50 but I wasn't feeling great about it.

Not only is word of mouth not good, but it really does feel like it's just kinda being... floated out there. I know there's marketing, but I just get the sense this thing might have crossed the line from homage/parody to parody, and then maybe into self-parody.

Like - if this just became Austin Powers with gore fx, I don't know that people are gonna be all that happy with it.

But that's a hard line to walk anyway: An over-the-top homage to Roger Moore-era Bond that doesn't go too far? I don't even know that Dick Grayson could manage that one without wobbling over.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

giphy.gif

snap

Banned
I was gonna guess somewhere between 45-50 but I wasn't feeling great about it.

Not only is word of mouth not good, but it really does feel like it's just kinda being... floated out there. I know there's marketing, but I just get the sense this thing might have crossed the line from homage/parody to parody, and then maybe into self-parody.

Like - if this just became Austin Powers with gore fx, I don't know that people are gonna be all that happy with it.

But that's a hard line to walk anyway: An over-the-top homage to Roger Moore-era Bond that doesn't go too far? I don't even know that Dick Grayson could manage that one without wobbling over.

exactly what I was thinking, from the get go it seemed like they were leaning far too heavily on the comedic aspect (which wasn't bad in the first movie, it just wasn't what made that movie good).

I'm gonna guess $40M assuming WOM stays positive, with a lower than average drop for second weekend.

But if WOM is negative and the audience doesn't jive with it, I'd say closer to the original's $36M with really bad legs.

I value the Italian option. And there's still Japan also to open. We still have a couple of countries

dude's delusional. it's not happening.

edit: he also says people aren't seeing it in theaters because "after two or three weeks it's already almost on VOD." was it even on screens by that point

Busty

Banned
I don't think that Kingsman hits $45M. Reviews are mediocre so far, and the hype doesn't seem to be there.

Agreed. I think this is coming in under tracking and will settle at $35m. Expect lots of "will IT's third weekend beat it" comments on Friday but ultimately pulls ahead but not in an emphatic manner.

Ninjago could be a dark horse only because kids are impossible to read on things like these. I think this will do better than Storks and pull in a number in the low thirties ($32m) coming in second ahead of a still doing very well IT with $31m.

Phew.

David Cage should make Valerian 2 for PS4. Sony seems like they keep handing him blank checks and he might as well do his countryman a solid.

Getting Nijago out so soon seems like a mistake. People were chomping for another Lego movie since it's been 3 years since the first one (though Batman may have played a factor too, though the movie didn't end up doing amazingly anyways) then getting another one out so soon when people have cooled on it, only to have another 2+ years until the next one.

Though if Kingsman ends up sputtering like it seems to be than it might not be an issue.

Kusagari

I don't know what to expect with Kingsman 2.

It could open with 50m or bomb with 25m and I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Kingsman 2 kind of feels like 50% "sequel no one asked for" and 50% "sequel people asked for but the end result doesn't seem especially appealing".

I wonder if there would be more hype if they had leaned more on Firth than the whole cowboy stuff.

snap

Banned
I'm not really sure why the hype for Kingsman 2 feels as low as it does; the first trailer got a good response, but things have seemed quiet since then and well, now the movie is 3 days away.

Over my dead body.

I wonder if it's they started out putting out that trailer in such a way that corresponds with a major PR campaign, but then when rotten tomatoes had such a huge effect on the summer releases, some Fox exec realized the movie wasn't going to be received well and pulled the marketing expecting a bomb.

overcast

I think Kingsman 2 will hit 39 million. Hype isn't there like it should be and the reviews are below average. It'll still come out ahead of the first. Main thing to look out for is that the legs are gonna be shit.

What's the budget? Sequel might not happen.

Thor Ragnarok’s director and Green Lantern stock friend character Taika Waititi is in talks to direct AKIRA.

Hey, now! That would be an interesting get.
And surprised that Marvel didn't lock down Taika like they did the Russos. Of course, they may have tried and Taika just had to be free.

Litan

Hey, now! That would be an interesting get.
And surprised that Marvel didn't lock down Taika like they did the Russos. Of course, they may have tried and Taika just had to be free.
Yeah, I'm thinking this is a one time thing for him.
Maybe Coogler too, but I hope not. Would love if we got a BP trilogy from him.

Coogler's gotta go do Creed 2 starring Dolph Lundgren and written by Sylvester Stallone, he's got no time for cookie-cutter Marvel.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thor Ragnarok’s director and Green Lantern stock friend character Taika Waititi is in talks to direct AKIRA.

Hmm. What studio is making that? Cause there were rumors about Jordan Peele being approached immediately after Get Out started to take off. Sounds like they're trying to recruit a hot director, and maybe somebody of color to make sure it's diverse.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is a one time thing for him.
Maybe Coogler too, but I hope not. Would love if we got a BP trilogy from him.

Would think if things were as good as they were looking, Marvel would throw a bunch of money at them to keep them on board. They could get the sweet James Gunn gig and get a ton of money and a lot of creative control.

But, as you said, it could be a one time gig. Something to get their feet wet and then move onto something else. That could have been the deal from the start.

Hmm. What studio is making that? Cause there were rumors about Jordan Peele being approached immediately after Get Out started to take off. Sounds like they're trying to recruit a hot director, and maybe somebody of color to make sure it's diverse.

If Peele is smart, he walks away from that and never looks back. Don't let them tie a lemon to you on your second film, breh.

Peele debunked that Akira rumor within a couple days of it getting floated, if I remember right.

I'm still curious as to how you even attempt this film without setting it in Japan and using Japanese teenagers.

I mean, I know HOW they could attempt it, it's just that attempt is going to fundamentally fuck up a large part of why AKIRA works like it does.

Like, you guys thought Snyder didn't get Watchmen? Wait til WB ropes someone into adapting AKIRA to take place with 20 something white dudes in NYC

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If Peele is smart, he walks away from that and never looks back. Don't let them tie a lemon to you on your second film, breh.

That's what I was thinking when the rumors started. Run away. Just run away.

Ross61

Peele debunked that Akira rumor within a couple days of it getting floated, if I remember right.

I'm still curious as to how you even attempt this film without setting it in Japan and using Japanese teenagers.

I mean, I know HOW they could attempt it, it's just that attempt is going to fundamentally fuck up a large part of why AKIRA works like it does.

Like, you guys thought Snyder didn't get Watchmen? Wait til WB ropes someone into adapting AKIRA to take place with 20 something white dudes in NYC
Weren’t they picking up diverse directors to avoid that? That was the word when Justin Lin was in talks.

Top Bottom