• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Games producing new game for Nintendo

This reminds me of all these conversations I've had that went like this.

Angry Gamer - "Nintendo doesn't care about the hardcore gamer. Just look at their future line-up there are no games announced for us."

Me - "Nintendo (and lately even third parties) always announces games a few months possibly even weeks before release."

Angry Gamer - "You don't know what you're talking about!"

Surfer Girl said:
3) F-Zero is coming to Wii and possibly, but probably not, being developed by Monster Games (according to someone with a rather legimate email address).

Oh Surfer Girl :lol

Ranger X said:
Nintendo should make their games themselves. I mean, they're fucking rich, just hire people god damnit. But no, they absolutely want to drop in quality.

Big companies rarely (if at all) makes their own games anymore.

[Nintex]

holy shit, Nintendo is king at keeping secrets. I'll make a bullshit prediction right here:
Q1 2009
F-Zero WX
Wii Sports Resort

Q2 2009
Pikmin 3
Endless Ocean 2
Dynamic Blade

Q3 2009
Sin & Punishment 2
Cosmic Walker
Punch-Out!!

Q4 2009
The Legend of Zelda: Wii's Awakening
Mario Party 9

Newspaper:
"Has Nintendo forsaken the casual gamer?"
"Where has Wii Music 2 gone?"
"Is Wii Sports Resort the last Family Friendly Nintendo game?"

Iwata: (shoots himself)

Sadist

[Nintex] said:
holy shit, Nintendo is king at keeping secrets. I'll make a bullshit prediction right here:
Q1 2009
F-Zero WX
Wii Sports Resort

Q2 2009
Pikmin 3
Endless Ocean 2
Dynamic Blade

Q3 2009
Sin & Punishment 2
Cosmic Walker
Punch-Out!!

Q4 2009
Mario Party 9

Newspaper:

:lol

But seriously: I'm EXCITED for EXCITE TRUCK 2!!! Please let it be!

Neo C.

Ranger X said:
Of course I think they would be smart enough to not expand at a stupid rate. They only seem slow from an external point of view like mine.
To make significantly more games in a quiet short period of time, how many people do they need to hire? I think it's just easier to let an external studio make a game, you don't need to fire the guys too in a recession because the contract just ends after the project.

I agree that internal development has some good points, though I assume the optimum will be a good balance between external and internal game development.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
2009, year of the wii reconfirmed. I'd love them to make a new wave race, though something in me believes wii sport resort will include a full jet ski game already.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
Q1 2009
F-Zero WX
Wii Sports Resort

Q2 2009
Pikmin 3
Endless Ocean 2
Dynamic Blade

Q3 2009
Sin & Punishment 2
Cosmic Walker
Punch-Out!!

Q4 2009
Mario Party 9

Newspaper:

Is TLoZ the Retro Studios spin-of? And you also forgot about Kid Icarus! ^^

Hey guys I have a great idea!!!

They should make EXCITE TRUCK with MOTORCYCLES! Call it.. like.. EXCITE CYCLE or something!

Seriously though I loved Excite Truck and I want more :( Still one of my favorite Wii games and the best racing game this gen IMO (but then, I like arcadey racers)

bdouble

Ranger X said:
Depends on many things. In the case here you'd have Nintendo supervising the third party from a distance instead of being there while the game devellops. This makes a difference. It's better to be in the same building. Also, the third party might not have certain habits and way of working that Nintendo might have (since they have such great history of quality devellopment, they must be doing something greater than others).
Also, if that third party was inside Nintendo they could benefit more easily from experienced people from Nintendo that worked on those franchises in the past.

It's easier to devellop internally than to fragment your projects to differents factions.

Why is it easier? I really disagree with most of this. There are a lot of other factors on why Nintendo would outsource games. I'd say its a lot harder to get work space and the physical resources together for a brand new team then just managing and overseeing a game produced by another developer. Especially if you find a developer that has the skills, talent and personnel to accomplish what you wanted.

I mean I highly doubt that Nintendo would rather build a team and studio from scratch ie Brawl then find a talented development studio, give direction and end up turning out a high quality product as many examples in their past have shown.

Nintendo changes their work environment. Thats the whole point. If they didn't like what they did as a studio then they wouldn't be working with them.

OH GOD WII SAVED. It's about time we heard something from the team behind the best Wii launch game (and arguably best game under Galaxy). I hope it's something like Wave Race or possibly an Excite Bike-Truck hybrid using the motion plus. Fuck I'm excited.

MarkusRJR

[Nintex] said:

Q1 2009
Punch Out!!
Pikmin Wii port
Mario Tennis Wii port

Q2 2009
Wii Sports Resort
Disaster: Day of Crisis (probably not happening... but I can still hope)
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat Wii port

Q3 2009
Sin & Punishment 2
Mario Party 9

Q4 2009
Metroid Prime Wii Port
Pikmin 3
Endless Ocean 2

And these will probably be announced at E3 2009 for 2010
(or 2011 because of those LOL-worthy delays Nintendo is known for)
:
F-Zero ZX
Kid Icarus
Fatal Frame 4
Wii _______

Fixed.
Sad but most likely true... :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Threi said:
too bad.

Nunchuk analog stick - steer
Wiimote IR - Aim and Shoot

That actually sounds pretty cool, and I've always been a fan of the Twisted Metal games.

Now for NST, Kuju, Retro, and N-Space to announce what they all have been respectively working on for over the last year... :p

Can't wait to see what Retro is doing, they have to be doing at least two projects right now. They had one in development along side Metroid Prime 3, and the Metroid Prime 3 should be working on something different as well.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Stopsign said:
Now for NST, Kuju, Retro, and N-Space to announce what they all have been respectively working on for over the last year... :p
the new house of the dead, headstrong = kuju.

rezuth

2452d1177499609-excite-truck-2-online-pics-00490413.png

Make it happen!

KingJ2002

Slavik81 said:
Do they really shuffle them out to other developers due to poor sales? Wasn't Zelda going strong when Capcom did the Oracle games?

i believe nintendo farmed out their franchises to strengthen third party relations.

in this case though i hope it is a new excite bike or f-zero

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ranger X said:
Nintendo should make their games themselves. I mean, they're fucking rich, just hire people god damnit. But no, they absolutely want to drop in quality.
Yeah, just look how Wario Land Wii, F-Zero GX and the Oracle games turned out.
Complete failure.

I still want to play Excite Truck but I can't find it anywhere for less than $50. There are some used copies for less than that on Amazon but none of them sound like they're in the best condition :(

BTW, the game they're working on would have to be something easily recognized or there'd be no need for the "Dim your monitors" dramatics when the water guy visits. Seems to me that F-Zero might fit the bill but is that even easy to recognize?

wsippel

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
BTW, the game they're working on would have to be something easily recognized or there'd be no need for the "Dim your monitors" dramatics when the water guy visits. Seems to me that F-Zero might fit the bill but is that even easy to recognize?
I believe Retro had to take similar measures, even though it was already well known what they were working on. Nintendo is extremely paranoid.

Neomoto

Excite Truck was and still is fucking awesome. I would seriously buy a Wii for a online sequal if I didn't already had a Wii. I really hope there will be a sequal, and after that more sequals on the next Nintendo system ;)

Ranger X said:
Many does. Even Electronic Arts!

I meant to say that big companies rarely make their own games they usually hire freelancers or similar developers to make them for them.

[QUOTE='[Nintex]
[/QUOTE]

:lol

Easy_D said:
Yeah, just look how Wario Land Wii, F-Zero GX and the Oracle games turned out.
Complete failure.

GoodFeel developed that (IMO) horribly atrocious game. And the Oracle games were awesome and I've heard the same for GX. It doesn't make sense to handpick 3 "failures" while ignoring all the successes.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Flying_Phoenix said:
GoodFeel developed that (IMO) horribly atrocious game. And the Oracle games were awesome and I've heard the same for GX. It doesn't make sense to handpick 3 "failures" while ignoring all the successes.
The point

Your head

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
wsippel said:
I believe Retro had to take similar measures, even though it was already well known what they were working on. Nintendo is extremely paranoid.

Hey, it's worked for them so far.

panda21

Excite Music!

the game drives your truck around playing music while you perform wiimote actions of your preference.

HOORAY FOR MEDIOCRITY

Excite truck had nothing on Excite Bike, sry

and I seriously think the secrecy of the game is unnecessarily hyperbole

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Flying_Phoenix said:
What irony?...I'm confused!
smiley_cry.gif
The quote that you originally quoted (the one saying how Wario Land Wii, F-Zero, etc.) were bad games was sarcasm.

The point went over your head. Get it?

blu said:
the new house of the dead, headstrong = kuju.

Kuju is a larger company, and Headstrong Games is a studio of said company (I think... maybe)

Don't they have two more relatively big games in development for Nintendo? I know Kuju America has one...

Fantastical said:
The quote that you originally quoted (the one saying how Wario Land Wii, F-Zero, etc.) were bad games was sarcasm.

The point went over your head. Get it?

Ahh I see. :D

...But Warioland WAS a bad game. :p

loosus

Banned
For great justice, Monster Games, make sure that for your next game, you...

1.) Make sure there is no screen tearing AT FUCKING ALL.

2.) Make the presentation look not like poo, unlike Excite Truck.

3.) Don't do anything that has rubberband AI.

4.) Don't allow there to be a "Now Loading" screen.

5.) Don't make menu items (that should always be instantaneous) load from the disc; otherwise, it's confusing and looks tacky for new videogame players.

Hmm...I wouldn't be adversed to any new entry in any of Nintendo's racers.

I thought Excite Truck was pretty fun, it was just lacking a bit in style and personality, plus it had awful music.

The game was sound, though!

loosus said:
For great justice, Monster Games, make sure that for your next game, you...

1.) Make sure there is no screen tearing AT FUCKING ALL.

2.) Make the presentation look not like poo, unlike Excite Truck.

3.) Don't do anything that has rubberband AI.

4.) Don't allow there to be a "Now Loading" screen.

5.) Don't make menu items (that should always be instantaneous) load from the disc; otherwise, it's confusing and looks tacky for new videogame players.

6.) 60fps, rock solid - make it happen

Please, I would pay double the price if I have to...

People who claim that the game was not that god have no idea what fun arcade racing games are.

ExciteTruck is the second best arcade racer this gen, only behind Burnout Paradise.

loosus

Banned
The only thing that really made me hit my head with ExciteTruck was the rubberband AI, which was admittedly pretty bad.

The only other thing that bothered me, in terms of actual gameplay, was that navigating some of the tracks was a little difficult because there was so much shit going on.

Top Bottom