• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Games producing new game for Nintendo

Slavik81

jj984jj said:
Rumored to be F-Zero? Really? Well I guess we knew it couldn't be Sega... does it not sell enough for Nintendo to do it them-selves anymore?
Do they really shuffle them out to other developers due to poor sales? Wasn't Zelda going strong when Capcom did the Oracle games?

nli10

Fantastical said:
Wrong. The full name is... Kid F-Zero Excite Truck II: Pikmin 3.

Kid F-Zero Excite Truck II: Pikmin 3. Vs StreetFighter 4 Hyper Turbo Championship Edition

Or just a new IP?

Shiggy

nli10 said:
Or just a new IP?

Except for NST it seems as if Nintendo does not want to fund new core gamer IPs from Western developers.
n-Space projects cancelled, Headstrong Games projects cancelled. Fuse Games is working on a Nintendo franchise, Retro and Monster Games probably also (oh, I forgot about Factor5).

Ranger X

Nintendo should make their games themselves. I mean, they're fucking rich, just hire people god damnit. But no, they absolutely want to drop in quality.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Slavik81 said:
Do they really shuffle them out to other developers due to poor sales? Wasn't Zelda going strong when Capcom did the Oracle games?
Nintendo outsources for a lot of reasons, but I do think F-Zero sales would be the biggest reason they'd let another company do another console game instead of bringing it back internally. Nintendo's made some pretty good choices with what they outsource this generation so hopefully if this is a F-Zero game it lives up to the series pedigree.

Shiggy said:
Except for NST it seems as if Nintendo does not want to fund new core gamer IPs from Western developers.
n-Space projects cancelled, Headstrong Games projects cancelled. Fuse Games is working on a Nintendo franchise, Retro and Monster Games probably also (oh, I forgot about Factor5).
When did that happen?

Ranger X said:
Nintendo should make their games themselves. I mean, they're fucking rich, just hire people god damnit. But no, they absolutely want to drop in quality.
Going on a hiring spree wouldn't really help the quality of their internal projects either.

Ranger X

jj984 said:
Going on a hiring spree wouldn't really help the quality of their internal projects either.

Whatever the way we spin the question I think it would end up better. Game devellopment is better when the whole production is in the same building. Also, they'd have to comply to the way the insides of Nintendo is managed and this also helps on quality.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ranger X said:
While I fundamentally agree with your logic, Excite Truck is fuck awesome, so I really don't mind this.

Ranger X

Link said:
While I fundamentally agree with your logic, Excite Truck is fuck awesome, so I really don't mind this.

Personally i think Excite Truck is a great game with it still lacks some layer of polish or some gameplay intricacies that i'm used to find in AAA Nintendo games.
And actually, all those externally develloped Nintendo games that ended great are missing that unexplainable Nintendo magic coating.

Ranger X said:
Nintendo should make their games themselves.
As it is, most of their R&D departments are tied up on Wii Sports Resort, New SMB 2, Wii Zelda, Wii Mario, and Pikmin 3.

I hope it's F-Zero, although ExciteTruck 2 would be alright.

jj984jj

Ranger X said:
Whatever the way we spin the question I think it would end up better. Game devellopment is better when the whole production is in the same building. Also, they'd have to comply to the way the insides of Nintendo is managed and this also helps on quality.
Ranger X said:
Personally i think Excite Truck is a great game with it still lacks some layer of polish or some gameplay intricacies that i'm used to find in AAA Nintendo games.
And actually, all those externally develloped Nintendo games that ended great are missing that unexplainable Nintendo magic coating.
Without going into a long debate and an unnecessary headache, I fully disagree.

wsippel

Banned
Shiggy said:
I know that they are still working for Nintendo, and it seems they're also developing a Wii title right now, but are you sure it's based on a Nintendo IP? And I believe Fuse has two or three offices now, shouldn't that mean that they have several teams, working on several games?

And did Nintendo cancel both Wii projects n-Space had in the works? I think the Wii teaser was still on the website even after Target Toss was released, and that was just a small WiiWare game - nothing worth hyping up on the front page.

Ranger X said:

ISTR an interview or "Iwata Asks" where the question of expanding internal teams was raised and I think it was dismissed because the interviewee felt that rapid or large-scale expansion would be detrimental to the company's culture.

Shiggy

wsippel said:
I know that they are still working for Nintendo, and it seems they're also developing a Wii title right now, but are you sure it's based on a Nintendo IP? And I believe Fuse has two or three offices now, shouldn't that mean that they have several teams, working on several games?

I didn't know they had three offices. Their last game was Metroid Prime Pinball. You are right, they should have different game in development.

And did Nintendo cancel both Wii projects n-Space had in the works? I think the Wii teaser was still on the website even after Target Toss was released, and that was just a small WiiWare game - nothing worth hyping up on the front page.

Both were cancelled, they returned to work on cheapo games.
Screens of their Nintendo projects could be leaked at some point though.

Ranger X

Cosmonaut X said:
ISTR an interview or "Iwata Asks" where the question of expanding internal teams was raised and I think it was dismissed because the interviewee felt that rapid or large-scale expansion would be detrimental to the company's culture.

Of course I think they would be smart enough to not expand at a stupid rate. They only seem slow from an external point of view like mine.

Ranger X

jj984jj said:
Without going into a long debate and an unnecessary headache, I fully disagree.

That "Nintendo magic coating" is obviously totally subjective but i wouldn't believe you disagree with the first part of my message that you also quoted. I've worked many times with third parties develloping games myself and believe me, it's shittier than when it's the same building that does everything. Generally speaking, the better the communication and human contact is the better the end product is good.

jj984jj

Ranger X said:
That "Nintendo magic coating" is obviously totally subjective but i wouldn't believe you disagree with the first part of my message that you also quoted. I've worked many times with third parties develloping games myself and believe me, it's shittier than when it's the same building that does everything. Generally speaking, the better the communication and human contact is the better the end product is good.
Not if they're using their money to hire people at whim.

Ranger X

jj984jj said:
Not if they're using their money to hire people at whim.

Expanding doesn't mean you will suddenly slack the interviews and hire bullshit people. When i'm telling what I think, i'm always having "the good scenario" in mind, not the possible bad version. (unless we speak about those kind of possibilities).

jj984jj

Ranger X said:
Expanding doesn't mean you will suddenly slack the interviews and hire bullshit people. When i'm telling what I think, i'm always having "the good scenario" in mind, not the possible bad version. (unless we speak about those kind of possibilities).
There was positive thinking in this post? :p

CTLance

Can it be Waverace Wii? I mean, we're pretty sure it's not a Excite sequel, right? ( :( )

Pilotwings spinoff

They’ve worked on it for two years and are nearly finished. The process is so private the designers must darken their monitors when the bottled-water deliveryman enters the office

LOL!

Am I the only one who got this image . . .

My-Mind!! said:
Designer - Oh shit! The Water-man is here! Quick, turn off your monitors!

Water-man - . . .

Designer - Don't just stand there! I was in the zone and your putting me at a fucking stand still!

Oh, and has anyone said "Star Fox Racer!!!" yet?

D-Pad

yoopoo said:
Lool...love their website http://www.mgiracing.com/

Greatest website ever. I don't have to click anything because everything is right there on the front page. Seriously though, I miss the simple non-flash based websites.

Also: Japan has the better boxart. The NA/EU box looks like something from the bargain bin. :p

Shiggy said:
Would that make any sense? Excite Truck was started in December 2005 and finished in October 2006, eleven months of development. Their new project must be something larger!
It's not unheard of for "bigger, badder" sequels to rushed launch games to have a longer development time.

Ranger X said:
Nintendo should make their games themselves. I mean, they're fucking rich, just hire people god damnit.
Is using their money to hire a company full of developers to make a game so different from using their money to hire individual developers to make their games?

Whooo, awesome news. After the awesome that was Excite Truck it could be Excite-Zero, Wave Truck, Excite Quad or whatever for all I care. Just bring it :D .

Shiggy

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not unheard of for "bigger, badder" sequels to rushed launch games to have a longer development time.

Then try to think of a different explanation why this game will not be Excite Truck 2 ;)

Ranger X

JoshuaJSlone said:
Is using their money to hire a company full of developers to make a game so different from using their money to hire individual developers to make their games?

Depends on many things. In the case here you'd have Nintendo supervising the third party from a distance instead of being there while the game devellops. This makes a difference. It's better to be in the same building. Also, the third party might not have certain habits and way of working that Nintendo might have (since they have such great history of quality devellopment, they must be doing something greater than others).
Also, if that third party was inside Nintendo they could benefit more easily from experienced people from Nintendo that worked on those franchises in the past.

It's easier to devellop internally than to fragment your projects to differents factions.

I think it's funny that if Nintendo never said who was developing it and pretended it was developed internally, people would be falling over themselves to defend it on the basis of some intangible Nintendo magic.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nuclear Muffin said:
2 years is a very long dev cycle for a racing game. Given how good Excite Truck was, this could be something very special! :D
EXCITE mmorg!

Shiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
I think it's funny that if Nintendo never said who was developing it and pretended it was developed internally, people would be falling over themselves to defend it on the basis of some intangible Nintendo magic.

That's why they try to hide that Next Level Games is working on Punch Out ;)

yoopoo

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
There's a giant Monster Games logo when you boot up the game.

Shiggy

yoopoo said:
There's a giant Monster Games logo when you boot up the game.

Read again.

Top Bottom