• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Man On Earth S2 |OT| Dammit, Phil - Sundays 9/8c

vypek

I thought the Paper Planes/gunfire bit was really clever. Good way to start the season.

Their dirty sex talk is still the best parts of this show.

Both of these parts were hightlights in the show for me. Otherwise, I'm not keen on the starting storyline being them
separated and searching for each other
because I don't think it will be interesting on its own. But I'm sure it will chain into something good.

Hamlet

Great start to the season and wasn't expecting such a depressing ending :(
Wonder what happened to the Tucson Crew.

William

I really enjoyed this, I hope they keep up this quality and the mood this opener had. I went off this show a bit as the first season went along, but I'm looking forward to what they have in store this time around.

In latam fx will premiere season 2 tomorrow but i catch the premiere via streaming, great premiere i really want to know what happen to the tucson crew.

I enjoyed the episode last night. I think I like the show better when there aren't so many characters.

There was one scene where Carol shows Phil a picture of her younger self with her parents. I'm always fascinated when this happens in shows because I start wondering:

- Is that a real picture of her younger self she brought them to use on the show or is it somehow faked?

- Are the "Parents" in the picture totally fake, or a hired actor/actress, or maybe her real folks? Maybe they are real but have been altered.

I'd love to know.

It's shocking how well plotted this show is.

Totally didn't see that development coming while it simultaneously is the PERFECT storyline for the show.

Fucking incredible.

Sanjuro

This episode was really fantastic. Can't stress that enough.

While I love asshole Tandy, it was refreshing to see the change in character for the introduction to this new arc.

Didn't the New Phil Miller say something about moving to a better place to farm? I bet they all left to find a place with better weather and more water and burned Tandy's home out of spite.

VanWinkle

It's shocking how well plotted this show is.

Totally didn't see that development coming while it simultaneously is the PERFECT storyline for the show.

Fucking incredible.

There's this incredible feeling of...isolation, I guess, by the end of the episode. I was just thinking, "Man, that would be such a scary and lonely feeling," as I as watching it. I didn't feel that in the pilot for the show, I guess because we never had that sense of what came before or what he/she had.

Didn't the New Phil Miller say something about moving to a better place to farm? I bet they all left to find a place with better weather and more water and burned Tandy's home out of spite.

That's what I assumed happened.

There's this incredible feeling of...isolation, I guess, by the end of the episode. I was just thinking, "Man, that would be such a scary and lonely feeling," as I as watching it. I didn't feel that in the pilot for the show, I guess because we never had that sense of what came before or what he/she had.

EXACTLY.

We've seen them together for a whole season now so the sense of what's lost is just enormous.

Last season at the start was pretty good, unfortunately it started to really drag for me after the third and fourth members showed up. I found the focus of the show, Phil to have next to no redeeming qualities, I tried to watch as long as I could waiting for a semi redemption (I know to a degree that's the point of Phil's character but it actually started to bother me how unrelatably horrible he felt). I found after seven episodes or so he was so morally repugnant it was actually just hard to watch. Is it worth finishing the season if I liked the first few episodes but really didn't like the middle of the season?

I enjoyed the episode last night. I think I like the show better when there aren't so many characters.

There was one scene where Carol shows Phil a picture of her younger self with her parents. I'm always fascinated when this happens in shows because I start wondering:

- Is that a real picture of her younger self she brought them to use on the show or is it somehow faked?

- Are the "Parents" in the picture totally fake, or a hired actor/actress, or maybe her real folks? Maybe they are real but have been altered.

I'd love to know.

Haha, these are stupid things I always think of and never say out loud. Good to know that we are on the same wavelength

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Last season at the start was pretty good, unfortunately it started to really drag for me after the third and fourth members showed up. I found the focus of the show, Phil to have next to no redeeming qualities, I tried to watch as long as I could waiting for a semi redemption (I know to a degree that's the point of Phil's character but it actually started to bother me how unrelatably horrible he felt). I found after seven episodes or so he was so morally repugnant it was actually just hard to watch. Is it worth finishing the season if I liked the first few episodes but really didn't like the middle of the season?

You probably only need to catch the finale as it leads into what happens in this premiere. I don't think the other episodes are important at all, as nothing from them has carried over.

VanWinkle

Well, it's not like everybody got struck with the virus and died at the same time. It probably happened over a period of time, and most of them were likely buried or cremated or something.

VPhys

I feel so bad for Carol. Was the gas station with the red truck not the right one, it was the one with a white truck instead?

big ander

Loved that premiere. Phil and Carol in the white house was incredible, some of the funniest of the show. especially Carol trying on the dresses. great twist and I'm excited to see where this goes, it already is matching the best moments of the first season in capturing loneliness and imperfect but essential relationships.

Really loved the first episode, captured those things that I loved in the first couple of episodes of the first season: the isolation and capturing humorous moments in that (often through fun visual gags).

Klocker

much better than what last season turned into.

not in any hurry to have the other people or even many more people added to the mix actually.

I liked the depressing ending. I'm hoping for a good mix of emotional and comical moments. Last season I felt like they kinda tried, but all the emotional moments fell flat. This season premier was great though :)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hopefully season 2 turns the show into a dark comedy like how the first episode of season 1 felt like.

Pretty much the whole world is dead, his biggest issue shouldn't be a love triangle.

Apt101

I gave this show a shot, but I don't think it balanced the dark and humorous in a novel enough way to keep me engaged. I lost interest in it. I thought the writing was a bit refreshing though.

I'd love to know.

I had to exact same thought. I always seem to think about stupid things like this while watching a movie or tv show and then get distracted. Kudos to a great user name too!

Finally got around to watching it, the jet thing at the beginning aside that was a strong premiere, maybe better than most if not all of last season.

Akahige

So is the premiere episode like last season where the episodes more or less end on a cliffhanger and flow into the next episode? I may wait a few episodes so I can binge a few at a time.

near

Gold Member
Excellent episode. Glad Phil's got
that beard back looks so cool on him
and fits the premise of the series. I can already tell that the writers are aware of the strengths the first season had and they're playing off that. Hopefully this season they'll touch upon some of the darker elements the series has to offer.

Akahige said:
So is the premiere episode like last season where the episodes more or less end on a cliffhanger and flow into the next episode? I may wait a few episodes so I can binge a few at a time.

I binged through the first season and while I generally don't do that, the way each episode is written for this series encourages it. So I might have to do the same except wait until the entire season is over. :(

JeTmAn81

Just watched this. It's nice to see the show is still good, I keep feeling like there must be a ticking clock on how funny this continues to be. I lost it at the Paper Planes part.

Fantastic premiere. Felt like they were going to explore the gravity of their situation a bit more while keeping the zany humour. I hoped they would, as Phil just trying to laid all the time was tiresome.

Beyond excellent start to the season. Really great, hilarious and emotively powerful episode particularly at the end. Phil and Carol bonding in the beginning (notice how they're so close and connected now they even mirror each other) was just wonderful. Really loved that.

It felt like an uplifting and bright start that meandered in to this sombre and emotional territory like light changing to darkness. I love the direction they're going in. They really captured what everyone loved about the first season (they must have listened to audience feedback and adjusted accordingly) and the show is off to a flying start because of it. Great work by the writers.

Also:
My God what happened to everyone in Tucson? I'm going to be wondering about it for hours now. I know some posters in this thread have speculated the most logical and probable scenario (everyone moving on and getting back at Phil by burning his house down) but I think Phil's house being burned down with the sombre tone suggests something more foreboding and darker and the ending heavily alludes to it; such as new Phil from last season potentially going out of control and possibly going on a rampage.
Not really too certain until we get more hints and learn more.

Excited and hyped to see future episodes regardless. Love this show. Glad it's off to such a strong start.

VanWinkle

Also:
My God what happened to everyone in Tucson? I'm going to be wondering about it for hours now. I know some posters in this thread have speculated the most logical and probable scenario (everyone moving on and getting back at Phil by burning his house down) but I think Phil's house being burned down with the sombre tone suggests something more foreboding and darker and the ending heavily alludes to it; such as new Phil from last season potentially going out of control and possibly going on a rampage.

I did wonder about that, too, but
one, why would they have been in or even around phil's house of all places? Two, they've talked in the past about how illogical of a place Tucson is to try and survive and how they should move somewhere better, and, three, I think the thing you're suggesting might be too dark for the show based on everything we've seen.

It's definitely interesting, and I can't wait to see where they go with this.

Lijik

Also:

Not gonna lie
before I realized it was Phil's house, I really did think everyone in Tucson had died in an house fire accidental or otherwise.

RPS37

Really loved the first episode, captured those things that I loved in the first couple of episodes of the first season: the isolation and capturing humorous moments in that (often through fun visual gags).

I love it when the show doesn't have to try very hard. Shit has me rolling most of the time.

The burnt out house twist gave me Breaking Bad season 5 opening vibes. The show probably won't go too dark, but it'd be interesting if one of the Tusconians had went crazy.

Quick

Banned
My first thought was that they burned the house down on purpose.

Then I figured that Phil (not Tandy) did some electrical work that may have gone wrong. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

big ander

My guess:
we're going to run into Tucson people and find out through flashbacks that without tandy around the tucson group didn't get along and went a little nutty. not having a punching bag of sorts, someone who was clearly the bottom rung of their mini society, threw things off balance.

Top Bottom