• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF on Zelda Switch: Docked has major frame drops, portable doesn't (no score talk)

Justinian

I'm still hopeful for a patch. I've been playing 100% in handheld mode for better frame rates, but would like to play some docked to a big screen. The constant performance issues prevent me from doing so though.

JaseMath

I'm still hopeful for a patch. I've been playing 100% in handheld mode for better frame rates, but would like to play some docked to a big screen. The constant performance issues prevent me from doing so though.

The frame rate drops happen so little, that you're doing yourself a huge disservice. The performance issues are way overblown.

Justinian

The frame rate drops happen so little, that you're doing yourself a huge disservice. The performance issues are way overblown.

I disagree. In places with grass/forests (which is a lot of the world), there are constant frame rate drops down to 20 in docked mode, whereas handheld mode is 90% smooth.

There's no denying it's a very present problem in docked mode. But, from my experience, every time it occured, it never lasted long enough to detract from gameplay. Certainly nowhere near enough to deter me from playing docked.

leng jai

The game constantly drops frames in some areas and certain scenarios absolutely tanks the performance. It's not even close to being a non-issue.

Yeah I've been playing in console mode for a bit now and get drops below 30 more than I'd like.

But the worst is the literal game freezing moblin deaths. That at the very least I'd like a fix for

n0razi

I've been playing the Wii U version on CEMU and it runs pretty well for the most part... steady 30fps at 4K resolution and it gets better every day. I don't think I will ever be able to go back to the ~20fps Switch version

No 3D Zelda has been 60FPS. Also open-world games on consoles almost always target 30fps. The only exception that immediately comes to mind is the XB1 and PS4 ports of MGS5. Even stuff like GTA 5 and Elder Scrolls 5 is 30 GPS remastered.

Not to mention aren't the physics tied to the 30 FPS framerate.

bobawesome

I've had moments in handheld mode in Hyrule Castle where the game seemingly froze for seconds at a time. I don't even want to imagine how bad it would be docked.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I've had moments in handheld mode in Hyrule Castle where the game seemingly froze for seconds at a time. I don't even want to imagine how bad it would be docked.

Basically the same docked, but this only happened in hyrule castle and nowhere else

Malus

Hyrule Castle performed surprisingly well for me. I was bracing for the worst after reading some complaints.

That said, trees and Moblins = frame death. Also thorn bushes. There's this one shrine surrounded by thorns that is a nightmare.

imae

There was only 1 Moblin that caused a technical hang lasting about 5 seconds for me, in Hyrule castle. No issues with Moblins elsewhere in the game. Performance in and around the castle was good otherwise, dont recall drops at all.

99% of the time the framerate seems stable at 30fps. Theres are some bad patches, usually in forests but certainly not all forests like some claim. Some evenings I'm playing for 30-60mins before noticing any drop, depending on where I am in the world.

I'd certainly like to see improvememts made, but I've found the impact on the overall experience has been very minimal. I've been playing docked almost exclusively.

Interesting that the performance issues may relate to system temp, I wonder if those with warmer/louder Switch's are experiencing more issues? (Or those playing in warmer environments).

Bluth54

I had the game freeze a couple of times for a second or two while in battle near Death Mountain in an area with a lot of lava while my Switch was in handheld mode.

Other than that the only time I saw bad frame-rates was in some of the heavily forested areas (especially the ones in the Southern parts of the map).

Hyrule Castle is the one place my game crashed playing nearly every day since launch docked. I had those freezes elsewhere in the game, to where it felt like elemental weapon + moblin was triggering the minor lock ups.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Lost Woods (and Korok Forest) is a shit show, Faron Woods, most of the time when there are thunderstorms, especially combined with wetlands or high grass, high grass combined with anything practically, Rito village and so and so. You might be insensitive to framerate drops but they happen quite a lot.

Malus

There was only 1 Moblin that caused a technical hang lasting about 5 seconds for me, in Hyrule castle. No issues with Moblins elsewhere in the game. Performance in and around the castle was good otherwise, dont recall drops at all.

99% of the time the framerate seems stable at 30fps. Theres are some bad patches, usually in forests but certainly not all forests like some claim. Some evenings I'm playing for 30-60mins before noticing any drop, depending on where I am in the world.

I'd certainly like to see improvememts made, but I've found the impact on the overall experience has been very minimal. I've been playing docked almost exclusively.

Interesting that the performance issues may relate to system temp, I wonder if those with warmer/louder Switch's are experiencing more issues? (Or those playing in warmer environments).

There aren't frame drops in every wooded area (At least, I'll assume there's some decent ones), but they're too frequent even still. I'd accept one or two small problem areas but I experienced issues with (area name spoilers):
Lost Woods, Korok Forest, the forested area surrounding Rito village, the forested area in the Great Plateau, the forested area southwest of the horse statue, the forested area immediately north of the Great Plataeu, the Faron area, Lake Floria, the area around Akkala Ancient Tech Lab, and the forested area below Tarrey Town. That's just what I remember. Nevermind Kakariko village and the waterfalls around Zora's domain.

And that's not counting the relatively small drops that occur in grassy fields particularly during rain, and the aforementioned Moblin freezes. I'm surprised they only happened to you in the castle, I was getting them all over the map.

Justinian

The latest patch 1.1.1 is out and it's greatly improved frame rates!! I can confirm from testing a couple areas that the docked performance is similar to handheld mode previously. It's not perfect but it's a big improvement. Hopefully there are even more performance patches coming.

Top Bottom