• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New wave of anti-smoking measures come into affect. (UK)

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Its been like this for a long time in Australia. The packaging is pretty disgusting:

australia-cigarette-packaging.jpg

166824-new-cigarette-packets.jpg

Cigarettes are also really expensive here - its about $18 dollars or so for a 20 pack.

Hasney

Agree with most of these other than 20 pack minimum. I just know some social smokers that buy a pack while drinking and will continue smoking the day after if they have some left, but I'm sure some research was done.

Worth noting that there are also new vaping laws limiting the size of the tank on an e-cig and only allowing refills to be sold in smaller bottles. So that seems like it goes the other way of making smokers buy in bulk, but vapers buy in smaller quantities?

Just ban the shit out right and tax the shit out of vaping instead. That being said i rarely see a smoker nowadays and walking past a vaper with those raspberry flavour ones is quite pleasant.

Paz

I don't think young people start smoking because the box is pretty either, but we'll see the effects long term I guess.
One trimester after the launch of neutral packaging there's even a slight augmentation of cigarettes sold to tobacco shops compared to 2016.

We've actually seen the effects in the long term, in Australia, where we've had this stuff for many years.

And yes the effects are less new people taking up smoking, because it is less glorified and the drawbacks are ever present and blatantly obvious.

There's no downside to this system, if you wanna smoke you can still smoke because nothing is done to the cigarettes, but everyone is damn sure what they're doing.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
-The new measures
-Drab brownish-green packaging
-Larger health warnings on 65% of the front and back
-Graphic picture at the top of the packet
-Brand name in a standard typeface
-Minimum pack size of 20 cigarettes
-No more "misleading" information, like "low tar" or "organic
"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39984887

Pics at the link.

Living in Japan at the moment and this kind of legislation is completely lacking over here. Tobacco marketing, smoking indoors, vending machines, cigarettes sold in the most visible and accessible areas of shops etc...

Always nice to see a big fuck you served to Tobacco companies.
Been like this in AUS for yrs now

Literally just phase out cigarettes in favor of ecigs or some vapor equivalent

I recently got to the point where my desire to smoke had ballooned into wanting to just chill outside and chainsmoke for awhile and I quit cold turkey

I'd love to own a vape and hookah, but not until it's something I do for fun instead of an anxious impulse

Tbh labels and shit wouldn't deter me from buying cigarettes when I want them. The huge label on my black and milds was a joke to me.

Well with this being the UK, there was also some lovely and stupid new legislations brought in for vaping.

1. Restrict e-cigarette tanks to a capacity of no more than 2ml.

2. Restrict the maximum volume of e-liquid for sale in one refill container to 10ml.

3. Restrict e-liquids to a nicotine strength of no more than 20mg/ml.

4. Require nicotine-containing products or their packaging to be child-resistant and tamper evident.

5. Ban certain ingredients including colourings, caffeine and taurine.

6. Include new labelling requirements and warnings.

7. Require e-cigarettes and e-liquids be notified to heath regulators before they can be sold.

The second one is arse backwards as it's the opposite of what they've done with cigarettes. It's also effecting a lot of the liquid manufacturers.

Limiting tanks to 2ml is also rather stupid, most people I know with an ecig have a 3.5ml or 4ml tank. What are they gonna do about them when they're already sold through to consumers.

Jumeira

Banned
I barely see people smoking here in UK anymore. It's all vaping these days. Which is great because I can't stand the smell of smoke. And the smoking ban was the best thing ever.

But across the rest of Europe smoking is still a big issue. I couldn't eat anywhere in Italy recently without having my meal ruined by sometime smoking at the table next to us.

I see it at bus stops and it's just awful, sometimes surround by smokers

We know how destructive alcohol can be, so why not plaster beer bottles with pictures of diseased livers?

"People who drink heavily have a greater risk of liver disease, heart disease, sleep disorders, depression, stroke, bleeding from the stomach, sexually transmitted infections from unsafe sex, and several types of cancer. They may have problems managing diabetes, high blood pressure, and other conditions."

Yeah I find it interesting how this place is so anti-smoking but alcohol gets a pass. Fast food threads clutter the front page every day but apparently smoking is where we draw the line on our health.

Yeah I find it interesting how this place is so anti-smoking but alcohol gets a pass. Fast food threads clutter the front page every day but apparently smoking is where we draw the line on our health.

For me its more a case of: to get to Uni I have to walk across a courtyard-y area that is officially a No-Smoking Zone, but no one ever enforces it and if you bring it up, it's a case of apathy and disinterest. Soooo, short of continuing to bring it up, anything that makes it harder for people to do that when the vast majority of people who don't smoke aren't subject to second hand smoke etc is good by me :/

Naturally if people want to do it in their own time, when they're not subjecting other people to it, power to them but otherwise it just feels so...I'm not even sure of the word. I guess alcohol and fast food get a semi-pass on here because it's not a health risk etc by being around people who eat/drink. It is curious though, because we'd be healthier if we weened ourselves off of it.

Shiggy

Smoking directly affects the health of people around you, whereas alcohol or fast food do not (unless a very fat person crushes your bones or a drunk person stabs you).

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Smoking directly affects the health of people around you, whereas alcohol or fast food do not (unless a very fat person crushes your bones or a drunk person stabs you).
Except for alcoholic abuse or driving drunk or the constant fights etc that happen on the streets of every city etc etc

UrbanRats

Its been like this for a long time in Australia. The packaging is pretty disgusting:

australia-cigarette-packaging.jpg

166824-new-cigarette-packets.jpg

Cigarettes are also really expensive here - its about $18 dollars or so for a 20 pack.
Here too.
My mother puts them in an opaque plastic "cover" though.

I was wondering if they have collectible value.
Like some are more rare than others.

Sarek

The point of this is to prevent tobacco companies from using the packages to promote their brands, plus it might keep few teens from starting to smoke. Everytime change like this has been made plenty of people call it pointless, but research and real life data has clearly shown that anti-smoking laws like this have been quite effective overtime.

Shiggy

Which doesn't stop them

That's a law enforcement issue then. Just like you have some people smoke in bars despite a ban. Doesn't mean that the majority is doing it.

I'd argue that more smokers smoke in public than people who've drunk alcohol are driving or involved in fighting.

pa22word

Well with this being the UK, there was also some lovely and stupid new legislations brought in for vaping.

The second one is arse backwards as it's the opposite of what they've done with cigarettes. It's also effecting a lot of the liquid manufacturers.

Limiting tanks to 2ml is also rather stupid, most people I know with an ecig have a 3.5ml or 4ml tank. What are they gonna do about them when they're already sold through to consumers.

It all seems rather unenforceable other than the 10ml thing. All the paraphernalia you can just snag online from the US or whatever. What are they gonna do, have cops out with tape measures on every corner?

I wonder if these pics do anything, seeing the massive numbers of smokers I have to deal with every day. Maybe they get desensitivised to pictures after a time.

Here in Spain we have taxed tobacco as much as possible, banned in public places (waiting for the band to extend to entrances to public places) we have similar looking gruesome boxart (just that we see cigarette cases more often or a bag of pipe tobacco), and nothing seems to work. Kids starting early and peer pressure to do something perceived as cool. I guess they just have an "enabler" that buys for them.

Fuck, if i wanted to throw my money, I'd buy lootboxes. I'm too much of an hypchondriac for that, even if the industry still manages to makes me have weird ideas by glamourising it in media.

lol WTF? This doesn't even make sense. Is that someone's foot?

I already have had to witness toe amputations on a heavy chain smoker, and a lot of other health issues during the years to the point of being crippled, and seeing them throw away they life, unable to stop. For me, i see no difference with any other non-legal drug. Just that the government loves tobacco taxes too much and banning it would probably mean finding another product to tax.

-The new measures
-Drab brownish-green packaging
-Larger health warnings on 65% of the front and back
-Graphic picture at the top of the packet
-Brand name in a standard typeface
-Minimum pack size of 20 cigarettes
-No more "misleading" information, like "low tar" or "organic"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39984887

Pics at the link.

Living in Japan at the moment and this kind of legislation is completely lacking over here. Tobacco marketing, smoking indoors, vending machines, cigarettes sold in the most visible and accessible areas of shops etc...

Always nice to see a big fuck you served to Tobacco companies.

You missed what the Tory government added in the budget. A minimum of £7.35 a packet for the budget cigs.

UK is completely out of line with Europe's pricing
X3o2X46.jpg

UK cigs cost 70-100% more across the range of cigarettes. We've always been more expensive but since the budget it's got to exorbitant levels. This could lead to more fake cigs that are much more dangerous and smuggling,

It's a good thing but the rest of Europe don't do it and I know of older people who are not giving up, can't understand how to work e-cigs or they just don't last long enough so they get punished while the rest of Europe's older gen don't.

I don't have stats for each country in Europe but it's said 30% smoke while UK US and AUS are around 13-17%

Triteon

I can't simultaneously be OK with booze being legal and actively want weed to be legal then shit on cigs people want to smoke let them.

I also don't see the point (apart from taxes because smokers will generally be a drain on the public purse earlier than "healthy people") to any of the scare campaign stuff, people know the things are addictive and kill you a picture and some less attractive packaging seems pointless.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
That's a law enforcement issue then. Just like you have some people smoke in bars despite a ban. Doesn't mean that the majority is doing it.

I'd argue that more smokers smoke in public than people who've drunk alcohol are driving or involved in fighting.
Probably.. cant argue with that but here you can't smoke in pubs, clubs near schools, hospitals etc. But i find alcohol abuse really gets swept under the rug. But alcohol causes so many issues in society it's ridiculous

Jyester

Good thing about smoking laws in Japan: some cities ban smoking in the street (and the overwhelming majority of smokers respect these bans).

Bad thing: everything else

It's way too cheap, way to easy to buy, there's still ads on TV for it, and probably worst of all: smoking indoors at restaurants/bars/clubs. Fuck that.
Change "probably" to "definitely". I love izakaya but hate the smell, and having to take it home with me makes it worse.

This seems wrong-headed, just ban smoking or treat it as a drug related issue. Otherwise let people smoke in peace, outside of indoor spaces, we already treat smokers as lepers as it is.

mrkgoo

Yup. Definitely warranted. I wish America would do this. Or just make anyone born after 2000 unable to legally purchase them. That would kill it right there.

Cigarettes are truly evil.

Wait, people born after 2000 are legally allowed to purchase cigarettes in US?

moggio

Banned
It's a good thing but the rest of Europe don't do it and I know of older people who are not giving up, can't understand how to work e-cigs or they just don't last long enough so they get punished while the rest of Europe's older gen don't.

They have the option of not smoking.

Well, one can only hope it works as an deterrent.

I can't believe I started at 27, just six years after being actively engaged in anti-smoking initiatives, handing out flyers about the risk of smoking and how to cope with this addiction.

As a smoker, none of the anti-smoking measures work on me.
If watching people getting sick/die because of smoking didn't help me quit, these huge pics won't even leave an impression on me. Neither does the high price. Hell, back in Ireland I used to pay 9€ for a pack of 19 or 20 cigs. The only thing that got worse due to higher prices is the amount of kids asking for a "fag".

Generally, people seem to value their cigarettes more now. Even the homeless people here don't ask for a smoke anymore without offering at least 30-50 cent for it.

Even tried vaping but all it gave me was acid reflux. :/

I've not yet heard of second hand fast food eating causing problems for people around you.

Obviously that argument doesn't work for alcohol when people then go on to endanger other e.g. drink driving.

hirokazu

I don't believe the packaging thing works at all. In fact My friends who smoke don't give a crap, but i have to sit at a pub table with a cancerous heart staring at me all night even when I never intended to smoke.
What you believe doesn't matter, the stats from Australia show they work.

_96129792_mediaitem96129791.jpg

lol WTF? This doesn't even make sense. Is that someone's foot?

Smoking causes burnt up feet?

I know right, smoking just makes you look cool.

Why would they put conditions on the packaging that you can't get from smoking? They have so many to choose from, and there would massive damaging publicity if they lied there.

New camels with more extreme diseases on the pack! Collect the full series!!

"don't smoke with your feet"

roger

Peripheral vascular disease and Buerger's disease are very much real and are both linked to smoking. Smoking doesn't just mean - heart attack maybe down the road-. It causes all sorts of horrifying lung diseases (seriously it's an awful way to die), cancer (lung cancer is one of the most deadly, but smoking means that your overall risk for pretty much ANY type of cancer in increased), CVS (stroke), PAD (basically mini strokes in your hands and feet, but there's nothing "mini" about how debilitating it is).

And that's just a sample. Smoking overall decreases your immune system and normal physiological response mechanisms which leads it contributing to all sorts of other horrible diseases.

Clearly these intense regulations are needed because the public is not educated enough about just how shitty smoking is for your overall health.

Shiggy

Probably.. cant argue with that but here you can't smoke in pubs, clubs near schools, hospitals etc. But i find alcohol abuse really gets swept under the rug. But alcohol causes so many issues in society it's ridiculous

Didn't mean to sweep it under the rug. Just tried to explain for why people are more annoyed by smokers than by people who drink.

Mendrox

Nothing I guess.

I also mix my own liquid so eat shit laws. Germany did something like this now too, but I dont care. I also only pay about 30 cent for 10ml of my selfmade liquid. Get rekted lawmakers!

Top Bottom