• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park - One More Light |OT| Goodbye Nu Metal, Hello POP

Strakt

Album is now available in most parts of the world.

linkinparkonemorelightcd.jpg

1 Nobody Can Save Me

2 Good Goodbye (feat. Pusha T and Stormzy)

3 Talking to Myself

4 Battle Symphony

5 Invisible

6 Heavy (feat. Kiiara) [Explicit]

7 Sorry for Now

8 Halfway Right

9 One More Light

10 Sharp Edges

Special Live Tribute to Chris Cornell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgwL14IDDJY

Stream/Download

Spotify

Itunes

Google Play

Apple Music

Strakt

My thoughts on it:

Linkin Park released the worst possible songs on the album first as singles (Invisible was pretty decent tho)

ATS > OML > MTM > HT for me.

Fav songs from best to worst on this album:

Sorry For Now
One More Light
Nobody Can Save Me
Halfway Right
Sharp Edges
Invisible
Good Goodbye
Talking To Myself
Battle Symphony
Heavy

My fav LP song before this was prob Waiting For The End / Burning In the skies, sorry for now might be my fav yet. Its so upbeat.

Not everyone will like this album though, thats for sure. It'll be just like ATS where people give it bad reviews then end up loving it 2-3 years later.

Manu

They haven't done nu metal in 10 years now tho.

Album is alright I guess. I'll post my full thoughts once I can write them down.

Strakt

One more light is probably the most emotional song lp has ever written. Its very touching. It was written for a friend of the bands that passed away. It was so important to them they decided to name the album after it.

Newlove

I saw a behind the scenes video with Chester saying One More Light was one of the most emotional songs they done. Wish I could hear the album but I can't see it on Spotify yet (UK)

Linkin Park released the worst possible songs on the album first as singles (Invisible was pretty decent tho)

My thoughts exactly. Literally any other songs off the album would've been better choices. After Heavy and Battle Symphony came out - which were just absolute trash-tier Linkin Park - I was worried this would join Hunting Party as the only LP album I would mostly dislike. I'm happy to say I was pleasantly surprised with the other songs.

Sharp Edges, Sorry for Now, One More Light, Talking to Myself, Invisible, and Good Goodbye are standout tracks for me. Nobody Can Save Me and Halfway Right are alright. Heavy and Battle Symphony... Get those outta here.

Overall: 3.5/5 - Far from the best Linkin Park has ever been, but also not the worst.

I need to listen to it more before I make up my mind completely, but right now I'd go:

A Thousand Suns > Living Things > Meteora > Hybrid Theory > One More Light > Minutes to Midnight > The Hunting Party

NotLiquid

I can appreciate the band taking risks and I've been a diehard defender of the last three albums but this album does nothing for me. Every track just feels the same to me, and it feels so toothless - not even because of the style they went with but because the foundation of the songwriting is so shaky.

_Ryo_

My thoughts on it:

ATS > OML > MTM > HT for me.

Fav songs from best to worst on this album:

Sorry For Now
One More Light
Nobody Can Save Me
Halfway Right
Sharp Edges
Invisible
Good Goodbye
Talking To Myself
Battle Symphony
Heavy

My fav LP song before this was prob Waiting For The End / Burning In the skies, sorry for now might be my fav yet. Its so upbeat.

Not everyone will like this album though, thats for sure. It'll be just like ATS where people give it bad reviews then end up loving it 2-3 years later.

My opinion is very similar. OML is definitelty top two LP album with ATS, maybe coming up slightly ahead.

ATS > OML > Reanimation = MTM, later half of living things > THP > > > > > > > First half of living things, HT, literally everything else, Meteora.

Ashtrax

I'm getting ODESZA vibes from a couple of the songs. In terms of this being lighter, I'm fine with that, as Linkin Park have been toying with the style even as far back as Hybrid Theory with "My December". You can see it throughout their entire discography, and this time around it's the focus.

Overall the album is catchy, but lacks the punch every other album has had prior.

Best song IMO would go to "Sorry for Now". It best defines Linkin Park's evolution.

And lastly, if Linkin Park continues down this path, I reckon Mike should start leading vocals, as he is better suited to the tunes.

My fave albums to get an idea (best to worst) - A Thousand Suns, Hybrid Theory, Meteora, Minutes to Midnight, Living Things, One More Light, The Hunting Party ... (Reanimation not included as it's a remix album)

Sai-kun

Banned
One More Light is pretty emotional. I can definitely appreciate it.

Aside from that, I think Invisible is my favorite, and Sharp Edges feels like a really cute little interlude, but is the end of the album, so it ends up more like a cute little bonus track!

I don't think I'll come back to this album, but Invisible and One More Light instantly make it better than The Hunting Party, which I hated. Apart from those two tracks, I don't really care for any of the others. They're all just too unfocused and sound kind of lazily produced.

My ranking btw:

Reani > LT > Meteora = HT > ATS > MTM >> OML >>>>> THP

Funnily enough I never liked a Thousand Suns and now this is doing absolutely nothing for me. Glad they continue to evolve and try new sounds regardless of my opinion though. I've loved most all their stuff (including Hunting Party and spinoff like Reanimation and Recharged).

Guess I just prefer the sound of Living Things, Meteora, Minutes to Midnight more.

Can I be that dick now that hopes Shinoda takes another Linkin Park break and puts out some more Fort Minor...?

malfcn

I liked the first few albums but stopped listening to them. I appreciate them growing up and evolving their sound. The title track isn't bad.

zulux21

They performed One More Light on jimmy kimmel tonight.. dedicated to chris cornell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOI0T4Xankc

Chester really poured his soul into this song

yeah. it's quite obvious in the second half that he is on the verge of tears singing that one.
he nailed that dedication though.

but in general don't mind the new album, I just join people in questioning their single choices.
either way I would love them to redo my December in one more light's style.

Realeza

Banned
Man, this is unlike anything else they've done. I'm digging it tho! Good Goodbye is probably the most LP song in the whole record.

Strakt

yeah. it's quite obvious in the second half that he is on the verge of tears singing that one.
he nailed that dedication though.

but in general don't mind the new album, I just join people in questioning their single choices.
either way I would love them to redo my December in one more light's style.

Yea i just noticed at the end, he missed some lyrics because he was in tears. Such a powerful performance.

zulux21

Man, this is unlike anything else they've done. I'm digging it tho! Good Goodbye is probably the most LP song in the whole record.

between the hunting party and his time with the stone temple pilots I imagine Chester was up for chilling out for this album.

they likely had fun experimenting and trying something new.

that being said I imagine by the time they go to record their next album they will be in the mood to be more angry again.

though you also have to wonder how much longer they will do this.
I mean it is obvious that they love music, you can't perform for 20 years without loving what you do.
that being said they are all around 40 now, and sure there are plenty of artists that make it into their 60s, but I could also see them calling it quits soon (aka in the next 5 years) for at least 5 years to just enjoy other aspects of their life.

no matter what though they will always be one of my favorite bands.

actually thinking about it more I imagine they might do an album more like minutes to midnight in theme given the current political situation.

Yea i just noticed at the end, he missed some lyrics because he was in tears. Such a powerful performance.

right before the scream around 3:30 if you pay attention to his mouth you can make out a lip quiver.
I mean for honoring a friend who died it's not a bad choice of songs.

Should've stayed, were there signs, I ignored?
Can I help you, not to hurt, anymore?
We saw brilliance, when the world, was asleep
There are things that we can have, but can't keep
If they say
Who cares if one more light goes out?
In a sky of a million stars
It flickers, flickers
Who cares when someone's time runs out?
If a moment is all we are
We're quicker, quicker
Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do
The reminders, pull the floor from your feet
In the kitchen, one more chair than you need oh
And you're angry, and you should be, it's not fair
Just 'cause you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there

I mean the song is clearly about losing someone.

also I didn't realize Chris Cornell's death was ruled a suicide. The start of the song "Should've stayed, were there signs, I ignored?
Can I help you, not to hurt, anymore?" no doubt really ring true :/

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I have no shame saying this but IMO, nu-metal Linkin Park>>>>Mellow pop shit Linkin Park. Every song on this album except the last one, is the same forgettable mellow shit that just melts into one another. I can't remember anything about any of the songs, except the last one. And it's ass too.

Halfway Right, Sharp Edges, and Sorry for Now are the standout tracks for me. I really do dig those a lot. I would like to hear an album in the style those tracks suggest, honestly.

One More Light, Invisible, and Nobody Can Save Me are decent tracks as well.

zulux21

Heavy seems to be a hit. It has over 40 million plays on Spotify.

I have been loving how many people in my life know the song heavy as they listen to a bunch of pop music, but refuse to believe me when I tell them it is linkin park lol.

MsVirion

Banned
I wasn't a fan of Heavy, and figured I may pass on the album, but listening to the rest I'm actually really liking their sound on this.

Good Goodbye may be one of my favorite songs they've ever done.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Just started listening. "Talking to Myself" is catchy as hell. Chester is channeling that MJ scream in certain parts. Haha.

scoobs

Chester has such an incredible voice, never seizes to amaze me. I don't care for their new stuff pretty much at all, but that "One More Light" dedication was very nice.

Meciu

Bought it today. The album as a whole isn't bad. There are few tracks which I like but that's it. I'll probably forget it by tomorrow.

KeRaSh

I'm really digging the album. I listen to all kinds of genres so I don't care if they shift gears for every album as long as I enjoy it.
Sharp Edges might be my favorite track of the album so far.
One More Light is also great. Unlike with some of the other recent albums this one doesn't have a track on it that I would want to skip while letting it play in the background.

Unfortunately their European shows are either huge, expensive festivals or dedicated shows while I'm out of the country. By the time I get back from the USA they start their US leg of the tour... Would love to hear them live again this year.

janoDX

The album is a 2.5/5 for me, it has great songs and funny enough my favorites are in the singles, Good Goodbye and Heavy, add Talking to Myself to the list and then there are decent songs and some bad songs. Overall it feels, flat, not good but not bad either, just, flat.

But I respect them for taking the step into the unknown. I hope they refine the formula if they're continuing this road so they get more consistency.

Crispy

Linkin Park hasn't really done it for me post Meteora. I loved those first two albums, Reanimation as well and Collision Course were incredible as well! Their albums since then sound over-produced to me, they lack some edge, the real growl of an electric guitar or a punchy drumkit with some inventive hi-hat pattern. Besides that, I started listening to music that is a bit more complex overall. This album then....I can't bring myself to listen to it more than once. That live performance of One More Light is very good though.

One of the bands I really love despite them being a bit more poppy/mellow is Dredg, because you can still hear the instruments so well, along with hundreds of tiny details in their songs you won't hear on the first listen. Check out their album, you guys might like it: The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion.

daTRUballin

Will probably listen to it later today. Looking forward to it. I mostly liked the singles that I've listened to. I'm not sure if there were any singles released after Good Goodbye. If they were, I haven't listened to them.

So yeah, I think the album has a chance of being decent based on the songs that have been released these last few months.

Top Bottom