• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park announces new album One Last Light + new single Heavy feat. Kiiara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominator

Don't hate it, but thats not the sound I go to LP for. I know that sentence is loaded as most of their albums sound different, but I digress. Hybrid Theory is my favorite album from them, but I still enjoy all the others. Minutes to Midnight is probably the worst, but theres still some tracks on there I can dig. I'll give this a listen for sure, as I do all of their albums.

A Thousand Suns is underrated tbh

janoDX

I didn't like the single.

I listen to LP since Hybrid, and actually my favorite albums are Hybrid, Meteora and Hunting Party.

I hope they at least continue in the road of the last album and this is an off-song.

Manu

I didn't like the single.

I listen to LP since Hybrid, and actually my favorite albums are Hybrid, Meteora and Hunting Party.

I hope they at least continue in the road of the last album and this is an off-song.

lol at thinking this is gonna be a one-off song on a THP type album.

This is gonna be a pop album through and through. I just hope the rest of it isn't as bland as this song.

Mike Shinoda already said that there's no screaming on One More Light, and that he raps less. So yeah, this will likely be their softest album ever, which is really funny coming from Hunting Party.

kudoboi

The problem is that this song isn't even a great pop song. the top 40 is filled with so much EDM/ Techno pop at this point that this song sounds bland even when compared to the rest.

Really kinda cool to see how many people favor which album. My personal fav is Living Things, but A Thousand Suns really is something special. Hybrid Theory and Meteora will always have a place in my heart too.

Linkin Park are a band I've been following since I was like fucking eight. It's crazy to think back to then and how both they and I have changed.

My man. If I had to choose, I'd say Minutes to Midnight was my favorite. But as you said, A Thousand Suns was really special, too. I found out recently that I can still recite "The Catalyst" by heart. :lol

I haven't even listened to their latest few CD's, I think Living Things was the last one. This song doesn't do anything for me, unfortunately.

The band that started my almost 20 year love with loud guitar music.

What are you doing?

Donald trump just tweeted:
LINKIN PARK JOINING THE FAILING MAINSTREAM INSTEAD OF BEING PART OF A REVELUTION.

LATEST SINGLE IS A DISASTER. EVERYBODY KNOWS ITS TRUE.

SAD!!

Not like this.

Velikost

BTW A Thousand Suns is their best album.
Meteora is literally one of the worst albums I've ever listened to.

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

I'm not gonna sit here and shout I WANT HYBRID THEORY PART 2!! Cuz we all know that's not gonna happen

I always give new LP a listen because they are a band i kinda grew up with I welcome them trying different genres and mixing things up a lot and experimenting with different sounds (I think ATS is they're second best album) Living Things was dope The Hunting Party was literally returning to their rock / heavy roots which was great

But this...

This just sounds like Kiiara ft Chester

I mean it's so bland and boring I want to know what the other 5 members of the band did on this track

Didn't Mike say when The Hunting Party was being worked on that he was getting tired of generic pop mainstream music and indie rock and that no one releases good ol rock and heavy tracks anymore? So they used that as a blueprint to write The Hunting Party?

Then they release this 3 years later and they've literally made generic pop mainstream music

The thing that annoys me the most is that they have some really talented people in the band Rob the drummer is really damn good, Brad can create these big heavy riffs and catchy chourses and Joe is a great DJ yet they just never seem to utilise them anymore

I don't know I'm just really disappointed with this I'll go listen to the other albums I guess I just hope people who listen to this stuff for the first time who have never heard of LP before can go back and listen to the other great work the band have put out

KeRaSh

The thing that annoys me the most is that they have some really talented people in the band Rob the drummer is really damn good, Brad can create these big heavy riffs and catchy chourses and Joe is a great DJ yet they just never seem to utilise them anymore

I've been wondering about that for years. Especially when it comes to Joe. I feel like he's only there to direct their videos nowdays. Obviously I don't know what everyone's involvement is but I really miss his dedicated DJ songs.

It's weird how this sounds just like a Linkin Park song, without really sounding like a Linkin Park song. Chord progression, mixing, and chorus is completely par the course for them. Verse delivery is where it contrasts the most.

Kiiara's vocals are the highlight of the song IMO. Otherwise, generic, but I think the album should be fun.. if it can hit the feeling of A Thousand Suns, but poppier, I could dig it. ATS needs more love.

That live session of Burn it Down with Kiiara is great, love how mike sings the rap part, and her vocals really help the song.

Oh, and here's the official instrumental for Heavy... it's incredibly LP to a fault, and the mixing of the vocals just drowns it out. https://youtu.be/OuivL9YXdxs

Wish they would work with Rick Rubin still... their self produced music tends to be a muddled without a voice of its own.

It's a little disappointing in that it invokes current trends and is so close to a Chainsmokers track but to be perfectly honest I prefer this A Thousand Suns style electronic-pop direction for them as opposed to the harsh and grating and quite honestly unlistenable Hunting Party which I thought was trash. Hybrid Theory, Meteora, A Thousand Suns and to a lesser extent Living Things remain their best albums. Those and Reanimation. This is an okay track. It's just a little disappointingly average IMO and a weak lead single.

Looking forward to the new album regardless. I like the change in tact and style and abandonment of what came before. Hope there's stronger tracks on the full record.

Ashhong

I liked it. Solid pop song. It's not classic LP but it's better than most of the generic pop on the radio

I'll take it over Closer and Paris by the Chainsmokers any damn day

daTRUballin

I know I'm very late to the thread, but I JUST found out about this today. I just listened to the first single and it's actually not as bad as most people here are making it out to be, but it doesn't sound like an LP song at all. Like, it just sounds like a generic pop song. That's all there is to it. Absolutely nothing about this sounds like it's coming from a rock band at all.

I wonder what type of sound or style they're going for with this album? Is that single indicative of the rest of the album? Are they just going for a generic mainstream pop sound? That would be really weird coming straight off of The Hunting Party. If that's the case, I guess it's basically just going to be Minutes to Midnight 2.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, but this album will only have 10 tracks??? Isn't that a bit low? This will have the lowest amount of tracks in any LP album ever. Granted, all LP albums tend to be pretty short, but still......

garath

Wow. I am a fan of Linkin park but I do not like that single at all. If it was just a song on the radio I would never guess it was Linkin park. It strikes me as such a departure from their normal sound.

I dunno. Not having high hopes for this album.

Hybrid Theory
Reanimation
Meteora
Collision Course

Then everyone in Linkin Park died and they never made another album. RIP in peace Chesterfield Burlington Coat Factory.

This songs been getting a lot of play on the mainstream pop stations these past few days, so at the very least you can't say this move wasn't a success for them.

see5harp

I randomly clicked on this just for shits and what the fuck is this? Everybody really trying to be The XX by way of The Chainsmokers? I was never a big fan but wow.

Makki

Uhhhhh so Linking Park is Mainstream Pop and KoRn is dubstep.... Oh, I almost forgot Papa Roach is Nickelback.

What a time for 90s kids to see their hopes and dreams die.

Ashhong

I randomly clicked on this just for shits and what the fuck is this? Everybody really trying to be The XX by way of The Chainsmokers? I was never a big fan but wow.

I didn't realize Chainsmokers created the concept of a simple pop duet?

Every artist changes their sound. They want to appeal to new fans and hopefully hold onto their old ones. There's still a whole album to maybe appeal to the older fans.

I dig it. Sounds closer to LIVING THINGS, which I really liked. Castle of Glass was a new favorite for awhile.

That said, Heavy is definitely not my favorite song though. They've had much better tracks over the years, but I'll always give them a new shot, even if I wasn't a fan of The Hunting Party.

mid83

I don't mind this song. I think Kiiara sounds good on this track.

But hey it's just an opinion. I can understand people being upset if they were expecting something else.

see5harp

I didn't realize Chainsmokers created the concept of a simple pop duet?

Every artist changes their sound. They want to appeal to new fans and hopefully hold onto their old ones. There's still a whole album to maybe appeal to the older fans.

I said The xx. Fuck the chainsmokers.

Noctilum

I appreciate when artists try and find a new sound. I've enjoyed all of Linkin Park's changes throughout the years, but this one I am not really into. I'll give the whole album a listen before final judgement but I am not really into the pop genre to begin with.

KeRaSh

I really like it. My wife hates it and she usually agrees with me when it comes to Linkin Park. Very weird. Maybe she needs to listen to it a few more times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom