• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park - One More Light |OT| Goodbye Nu Metal, Hello POP

Harmen

I don't mind mellow music nor do I dislike pop, but this album does nothing to me unfortunately. I appreciate the band diversifying their music portfolio, but most of these songs, to me, sound like cookie cutter pop music.

NotLiquid

Honestly I think Good Goodbye and Heavy are the only really decent tracks on this album.

The latter isn't even that good of a song. I thought it was terrible when it came out, but at least the melody is memorable and sticks. Much of everything else just bounces off the walls.

cyber_ninja

I don't mind mellow music nor do I dislike pop, but this album does nothing to me unfortunately. I appreciate the band diversifying their music portfolio, but most of these songs, to me, sound like cookie cutter pop music.

Easily their worst album imo. As for the bolded part, I think they just went commercial to get more exposure.

aparisi2274

Just not feeling this album. With each new track that began to play I was waiting for the heavy to kick in... and it never did. :(

I understand that they always like to try new things and branch out and move away from nuMetal, but this album, for me, is just way to Pop, and that saddens me.

DeSo

Banned
It's cool to "change" or "evolve" as a musician. A lot of musical artists have done it and done it well. But if the change doesn't result in good music then prepare to be called out on it. Everything I've heard from this album is uninspired and uninteresting.

What the fuck is this Good Goodbye video?

GRlkGAD.gif
looks like a videogame

flozuki

I'm really digging it. I'm with most that say the weakest tracks were the singles.

Me too. I liked what I heard so far before album release but damn... some songs really moved me more than they should have on my public transport to work :-O

looks like a videogame

While I love some of the style/ font segments (reminds me to Stranger Things) I really wished there were more locations instead of just beeing a hybrid of Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam.

Strakt

Easily their worst album imo. As for the bolded part, I think they just went commercial to get more exposure.

Lp has millions of fans... I doubt they need exposure. If anything, the album causes them to lose more fans then gain. They said they wrote this album cause each song was personal ( ex: invisible was for mikes kids, oml was for a death of the bands friend, etc.). They've been doin pop since hybrid theory.. now they just made an album around that genre.

Just gave it a whole listen. Didn't dislike it, but nothing jumped out at me as anything special either. Just a rather boring album that I have no desire to listen to again.

Gave it a listen.

Well that was a boring, generic, uninspired album. I may be a metal head but I do appreciate good pop when I hear it (or any kind of music for that matter).

This isn't one of them. Better luck next time.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Gave it a listen.

Well that was a boring, generic, uninspired album. I may be a metal head to I do appreciate good pop when I hear it (or any kind of music for that matter).

This isn't one of them. Better luck next time.
I kind of agree. I'm not part of the "oh this sucks because its not HT/Meteora" group, but I haven't found a track here that really stands out like every other album.

Okay, just finished the album. I have two separate reviews to give the album.

Old Linkin Park fan review:
As a fan of Linkin Park since the Hybrid Theory/ Meteora days. I dislike the album. It has nothing that made linkin park origionally. Completely abandoning Nu Metal for the Genre of Pop music. The jump to this album wasn't super jarring as they have been on a steady path towards this with most of their previous albums. If you are a fan of Nu Metal and dislike the poppier songs of their previous albums, completely disreguard this album as there is nothing that will be redeemable about it.

Pop Fan Review:
Okay, as an avid listener to various different generes of music including pop I have to say that this album is actually a really good pop album. It hits all the right notes, so to speek, and also has a lot of emotion piled into every song. If you are a fan of pop music, you will not be displeased with Linkin Pop's new album. I have to say my favorites were 'One more light' which is dedicated to one of the band's friends whom passed away. another favorite would have to be 'Halfway Right' which tackles Chester's drug and alcohol addiction, I percieved it as him talking about it affecting his friendship with mike and dragging them a bit apart, though it could also be talking about a loved one.

So to close both of these reviews, I will say that as a Linkin Park album, this album falls flat on its face... but as a Linkin Pop album (my official new name for the band until they change their sound again) this is a very deep and meaningful album filled with great pop songs. Which is something that is great for a new band releasing their debut album.

The Linkin Park fan in me:
Hybrid Theory = Meteora > MTM >THP > LT> OML > ATS

Sorry if I came off as an asshole with this review. i appreciated the album as a pop listener but hated it as a LP fan. such drastic changes as this, in my opinion, are better done if the band changes the name as not to alienate their original fans.

EDIT: A re listen to all the albums showed me that ATS is the worst album in my opinion. I also changed THP to be before LT.

Strakt

Okay, just finished the album. I have two separate reviews to give the album.

Old Linkin Park fan review:
As a fan of Linkin Park since the Hybrid Theory/ Meteora days. I dislike the album. It has nothing that made linkin park origionally. Completely abandoning Nu Metal for the Genre of Pop music. The jump to this album wasn't super jarring as they have been on a steady path towards this with most of their previous albums. If you are a fan of Nu Metal and dislike the poppier songs of their previous albums, completely disreguard this album as there is nothing that will be redeemable about it.

Pop Fan Review:
Okay, as an avid listener to various different generes of music including pop I have to say that this album is actually a really good pop album. It hits all the right notes, so to speek, and also has a lot of emotion piled into every song. If you are a fan of pop music, you will not be displeased with Linkin Pop's new album. I have to say my favorites were 'One more light' which is dedicated to one of the band's friends whom passed away. another favorite would have to be 'Halfway Right' which tackles Chester's drug and alcohol addiction, I percieved it as him talking about it affecting his friendship with mike and dragging them a bit apart, though it could also be talking about a loved one.

So to close both of these reviews, I will say that as a Linkin Park album, this album falls flat on its face... but as a Linkin Pop album (my official new name for the band until they change their sound again) this is a very deep and meaningful album filled with great pop songs. Which is something that is great for a new band releasing their debut album.

Meteora > Hybrid Theory > MTM > LT> THP > ATS> OML

Sorry if I came off as an asshole with this review. i appreciated the album as a pop listener but hated it as a LP fan. such drastic changes as this, in my opinion, are better done if the band changes the name as not to alienate their original fans.

Halfway right reminds me of a broadway song the way chester sings it

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Not even One More Light?
I actually think this is one of the more "Linkin Park" tracks on the album. It could've fit in well with MTM or Thousand Suns (I forget exactly which tracks came from which album).

I like the album. I just feel like there aren't the same handful of tracks that really differentiate themselves.

i appreciated the album as a pop listener but hated it as a LP fan. such drastic changes as this, in my opinion, are better done if the band changes the name as not to alienate their original fans.
Quite a while before this, I've changed my view of Linkin Park. I don't think of them as the nu-metal band that pivoted genres. They're more like one of the only (or the only) well-known bands that can traverse genres and succeed in whatever they decide to do. They just happened to start with nu-metal. That's why I'm a bit disappointed in this album. It hasn't left an impact with me the same way Thousand Suns or Living Things did, for example.

TheGrizz

Well, I gave the full album a listen and figured I'd try and contribute to this thread. So I'm at work and I like to listen to heavy, hard hitting music while I'm angrily typing out emails to people. I couldn't get through one entire song (expect for 'Heavy') without skipping through it. This album is extremely slow and boring. It's a complete 180 from what made them popular to begin. I'm sad to say that I won't be listening to this again (ok, maybe one more listen). So sad to see them stray from what I used to love about the (Given Up was one of my favs a while back, used to thrash this song out on my guitar).

Anyhow, looking forward to hear other's opinions on this album.

DJChuy

Just finished listening to it. Standout tracks for me are Good Goodbye and Heavy. Battle Symphony and One More Light are alright.

I appreciate bands who experiment and try different things, but I felt this was a miss. The majority of the songs are forgettable as the beat/melody sound boring and generic. It's not that it's pop; it's just bland. Paramore made a pop album, and I enjoyed that album.

I was waiting for the album to drop to decide whether I should go to their show, but I'm skipping it now. Already saw them at a festival, and they kicked ass.

mebizzle

Good Goodbye is actually pretty good, but the whole album just really feels like generic top 40 pop. Mike's rapping is too enjoyable to have it on only one song, and it's just really hard to get into a Linkin Park record that's just Chester and Mike singing over some boring pop beats, where are the instruments? Really disappointing me because I'm not one of those people that wants more HT, I've loved everything (except MTM) that they've done until now really.

Manu

I think it actually sounds like Linkin Park Goes Pop, while the production and sounds they used are standard modern pop I can still identify the songwriting as LP. Mostly.

I think this is straight trash. Not only have they forgotten how to write songs, but latching on to whatever trend is hip and calling it evolution is straight up selling out.

Probably said this somewhere else, but for a good view of bands from the same era who've evolved properly, see Deftones or Serj Tankian's output; not whatever the hell this is.

Toa TAK

Banned
I think it actually sounds like Linkin Park Goes Pop, while the production and sounds they used are standard modern pop I can still identify the songwriting as LP. Mostly.
This is it exactly for me. And that's why it doesn't really hurt with this transition to Pop. It still sounds like Linkin Park.

I'm not hating this so far, but then again, it's been normal for LP to be constantly changing their sound. It's no A Thousand Suns, but it's decent so far.

On my third listen, so I'll see if that changes.

Strakt

I think this is straight trash. Not only have they forgotten how to write songs, but latching on to whatever trend is hip and calling it evolution is straight up selling out.

Probably said this somewhere else, but for a good view of bands from the same era who've evolved properly, see Deftones or Serj Tankian's output; not whatever the hell this is.

Once again people use the word sellout and clearly have no idea what it means. A sellout would mean they are doing this for money, You realize with them "selling out", they're 100% losing more fans than gaining right? If you saw when heavy first came out, a TON of people hated it because they wanted music from 17 years ago from the HT days. The reviews this album is getting are pretty below average, because people expect them to put out the same type of music every year. This isn't anything new though, every album since Meteora has been getting below average reviews because people don't like change. If you made music, I highly doubt you'd want to make the same type of songs for 17 years striaght. Its cool that you have your own opinion and think that the album is trash, but using the word sellout is just you being a sheep. People like to use the word sellout when they have no idea what it even means.

Strakt

It seems like a lot of people appreciate ATS now. I always liked it. The Catalyst is a top 10 LP song.

Its the same with every album; people hated MTM when it came out cause it was completely diff, now people look back and love it.. then ATS, hate at first now tons of people love it. IMO, THP is their worst album with living things coming in second to last

Koopatrol

It's cool to "change" or "evolve" as a musician. A lot of musical artists have done it and done it well. But if the change doesn't result in good music then prepare to be called out on it. Everything I've heard from this album is uninspired and uninteresting.

Exactly this. It seems like a defense I'm seeing for this album is that people just want another Hybrid Theory and can't handle change. I dunno, but I think most people are fine with a band changing their sound as long as it sounds good. I don't like the songs I've heard at all so far, and it's not simply because they changed their style. I just don't think they sound good. At least some people in here seem to be enjoying the album, though.

I'll listen to the thing in its entirety later today.

Manu

Exactly this. It seems like a defense I'm seeing for this album is that people just want another Hybrid Theory and can't handle change. I dunno, but I think most people are fine with a band changing their sound as long as it sounds good. I don't like the songs I've heard at all so far, and it's not simply because they changed their style. I just don't think they sound good. At least some people in here seem to be enjoying the album, though.

I'll listen to the thing in its entirety later today.

The "people want nu metal" excuse only works for people who haven't paid attention since Meteora imo.

I have friends who are fans of the band and have liked every album so far and they just hated this one. And I understand. I'm not gonna jump on their throats about it. It's a pop album. Pop might not be your cup of tea. It happens.

Not everyone who disliked the album has an agenda.

I liked the album, for the record.

Music opinions that sound so assertive based on one listen are funny.

i don't feel like you'd think this if the person was beaming with positivity of the album

heard the first couple singles, not my cup o' tea. ah well, if they're just makin' what they want to make i hope it's successful, which it seems to be

Its the same with every album; people hated MTM when it came out cause it was completely diff, now people look back and love it.. then ATS, hate at first now tons of people love it. IMO, THP is their worst album with living things coming in second to last

I loved MTM when it came out. My friend let me listen to it and i went out and bought a copy that night.

Pretty much the only song I don't care for is Heavy, though it's tolerable. The rest are pretty great.

I was not prepared for the feels from some of these songs (and hell, my mother has been deceased for 11 years and Sharp Edges still fucking got me).

Jzero

I like Good Goodbye, Battle Symphony, and Heavy. Alright album compared to The Hunting Party.

Meteora > Hybrid Theory > MTM > LT> THP > ATS> OML

Meteora = Hybrid Theory > Minutes to Midnight > A Thousand Suns > One More Light > Living Things >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Hunting Party

LycanXIII

Got my tickets for their show in August in mail yesterday, got the deluxe edition of the album today, including a instant photo of Hahn and Shinoda. Pretty excited for it all.

DNAbro

I pretty much hated all the singles so I'm not expecting much from my first listen. Fav Linkin Park album is A Thousand Suns so I can deal with different styles but ehh those singles were generic and bad.

daTRUballin

So after giving the album a listen for the first time.......I liked it. It wasn't bad. It's a pretty decent album. I don't know what some people are bitching about. It wasn't amazing or anything, but I liked most of the songs well enough.

The only songs I didn't really care for were Nobody Can Save Me, Talking to Myself, and Sorry for Now. I didn't really know what to expect going in to this album despite liking the singles well enough, but most of the new songs are good. I especially liked the last three. The last two were pretty emotional as well. I also like how the album stays pretty consistent throughout. Most LP albums do a good job in this regard, but something like Minutes to Midnight was kind of a muddled mess.

Do I wish LP made an album in the same vein as Hybrid Theory/Meteora? Sure. Does that mean this new album is bad for being different? No.

DNAbro

Well definitely never want to listen to this again. Just bored throughout. One More Light was the only song I somewhat liked.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It seems like a lot of people appreciate ATS now. I always liked it. The Catalyst is a top 10 LP song.

Loved it day one. It's the best LP album.

But I also almost always love albums where a band just goes nuts and tries something different. Another example of this around the same time was Panic! At the Disco's "Pretty. Odd." album, which took some balls as it was only their second album at the time.

The album is okay, as a fan since 2011 but fell off around 2013 once I got into older music - but the title track made me cry. I attempted suicide two months ago and I couldn't believe how much a Linkin Park song would hit me at this point in my life. Really emotional song.

Out of curiosity, I'm going back to their recent discography to see if my opinion has changed at all. I still find Living Things uninspired and boring across the board, however I was surprised by how much I dig the production of Ten Thousand Suns (songwriting wise it's wildly inconsistent, but several tracks unexpectedly jumped at me). What really surprised me this time was The Hunting Party; I did not expect to enjoy it that much (with fresh ears I probably like it more than Minutes To Midnight, which was the first LP album that I was 50/50 on). Regret not giving that one a chance.

One More Light? I'm trying to see something here, but the whole thing screams Z100.

Haruko

For me, "All for Nothing" and the final four songs of the Hunting Party ("Mark the Graves" thru the end) are my favorites on that album.

A Thousand Suns is still my favorite album and I love listening to it beginning to end. Was thrilled to see them on tour for that one.
(the test vocals version of Robot Boy from one of the LPU cds is even better than the final version imo...)

I've listened through OML a few times today, and i'm pleased that there's no song i feel compelled to skip.

I like every album overall, but like 2/3 of them have at least one song that I really need to be in the mood for... Crawling, Hands Held High, Victimized, etc.

Top Bottom