• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

Fuchsdh

Do any of Apple's laptops even have more than 4 cores?

I can absolutely see the MacBook going ARM in the mid-future. Despite it going against what Apple's been saying, there's no way Apple doesn't have a long term iOS/macOS convergence strategy.

I think you can take them at their word that they don't see iOS and macOS merging any time soon, preferring different form factors for different work (and getting you to spend more money on more devices), but there's no doubt a room with Macs on ARM or AMD processors or whatever frankenbeasts they can envision. Apple has gotten burned enough times on stagnating chip performance they're going to be ready to make a shift if necessary.

Honestly, though, I don't see them only transitioning one of their computers over. They'd do the entire consumer line at the very least or not at all.

I could perhaps see Apple releasing a massive rewrite of macOS to keep a mac-like UI (windows, Finder, et cetera) but be based much more clearly on the iOS backend (just as watchOS, tvOS, and the HomePod OS are), but I think they're going to keep the Mac around for a good long while and mostly keep improving the iPad so it takes over more and more of the various Mac use cases.

Guess Who

Banned
I think you can take them at their word that they don't see iOS and macOS merging any time soon, preferring different form factors for different work (and getting you to spend more money on more devices), but there's no doubt a room with Macs on ARM or AMD processors or whatever frankenbeasts they can envision. Apple has gotten burned enough times on stagnating chip performance they're going to be ready to make a shift if necessary.

Honestly, though, I don't see them only transitioning one of their computers over. They'd do the entire consumer line at the very least or not at all.

Yeah, I think this is a key point as far as why there won't be ARM Macs for the forseeable future. Right now Apple designs 1-2 SoCs a year for iPhones and iPads (with the iPad version just being a modified version of the first design). For the Mac they'd have to make a much wider range of SoCs from a 12" MacBook to an 18-core iMac Pro, with and without integrated GPUs, etc. They'd also be sacrificing things like Boot Camp and Parallels that professional customers depend on for certain tasks.

They can't just ship, like, one or two ARM MacBooks and leave the rest of the line Intel. That would just make a bunch of compatibility headaches.

Jesus christ, this AND a die shrink in the same year. The A11 is going to be a fucking beast.

Continuing to hope and pray that the iPhone Pro/X/Edition/8 has a ProMotion display somehow.

And yes this really is getting ridiculous. Even the 2015 6S outperforms the 2017 exynos found in the GS8 in terms of per core performance. They're not playing the same game as everyone else at this point.

Giolon

The more I hear about it, the more I really don't like the sound of Face ID. It sounds really inconvenient and worse than Touch ID in almost every way.

FaceID strikes me as something that’d be really useful on the Mac.
The more I hear about it, the more I really don't like the sound of Face ID. It sounds really inconvenient and worse than Touch ID in almost every way.
I think having both would obviously be ideal. Let’s generously assume all things are equal in terms of speed/seamlessness; it’s very likely that FaceID will solve a number of use cases that TouchID is bad for, but it’s also likely that it’ll regress in a couple of use cases that TouchID works perfectly well for. Let’s hope Apple is able to combine both successfully in the future.

jstripes

Banned

I said mid-future, not near-future. Any smart company of this size would have a 5, 10, 15, and possibly 20 year plan of varying degrees of clarity for these sort of things, changing accordingly as tech changes.

Remember, Steve Jobs continually said there was no iOS tablet in development, but we know that was just deception so competitors wouldn't know what they're up to.

Guess Who

Banned
To be clear, this means a Lighting to USB-C port. So still lightning on the phone; but the other end will be USB C, which makes sense considering the entire Mac Line (save for the MP) now has C - and on the laptops, exclusively.

There'd be no reason in the firmware for there to be code for USB-C, specifically, as it functions identically to any other kind of USB if the port on the phone's end is Lightning. The phone does not need to distinguish between "USB" and "USB-C" because it's all the same USB protocol.

I think it's possible that this is just leftover code from tvOS, and therefore not indicative of a USB-C port on an iPhone, but it would almost certainly have to be in reference to a USB-C port on the device end, not the other end of the cable.

jelly

Jon Ive "We are really proud that the iPhone X is unapologetically in your face"

There'd be no reason in the firmware for there to be code for USB-C, specifically, as it functions identically to any other kind of USB if the port on the phone's end is Lightning. The phone does not need to distinguish between "USB" and "USB-C" because it's all the same USB protocol.

I think it's possible that this is just leftover code from tvOS, and therefore not indicative of a USB-C port on an iPhone, but it would almost certainly have to be in reference to a USB-C port on the device end, not the other end of the cable.

Especially because any lightning can charge off the lightning to usb c cable right now, and I don’t think references were found in the OS code before?

Could be leftover from tvOS but then it would have been in iOS10 as well

VeeP

Would it worth it to switch from a S8+? 🤔🤔🤔

Go with the OS and ecosystem you like the most. Most phones these day have a great camera, apps, display, water resistant, etc.

If you don't mind iOS, want iMessage/Facetime, have a Mac or iPad that can work well with the new iPhone, I'd say go for it. If you don't want/don't care about any of the above, I'd say stick with the S8+ for now.

The A11 is gonna be comically overpowered.

Also one thing that doesn't seem to be getting a lot of play is that the X will have better battery life. There were rumours about an L shaped battery. At worse it'll have the same battery life as the current 7 plus but with a bigger screen and much smaller body. But it might even be better when you throw in A11 and other efficiencies in design.

rrs

Is the 1080p 240 something the Note 8 can't implement with a software Upgrade? That's something was hoping the Note would be able to do. It's kind of a bummer that they still have 1080 60 as max video
does the device even have a 240 Hz screen? If so, I'm surprised it's not a launch thing

The A11 is gonna be comically overpowered.

Also one thing that doesn't seem to be getting a lot of play is that the X will have better battery life. There were rumours about an L shaped battery. At worse it'll have the same battery life as the current 7 plus but with a bigger screen and much smaller body. But it might even be better when you throw in A11 and other efficiencies in design.

I hope that's true. Having a smaller body and larger screen was worrisome, and we've already seen the battery life decline slightly from 6 plus to S plus to 7 plus. Curious to see how it'll work out.

Sean

Banned

I can see Face ID being superior in a few situations, Touch ID doesn't really work well when your fingers are wet or greasy for example.

But yeah, I can envision a lot more potential failure scenarios for Face ID. One of the obvious ones being Halloween where everyone's wearing masks and whatnot. And winter when people are dressed like this:

23nytoday4-blog480.jpg

I can see Face ID being superior in a few situations, Touch ID doesn't really work well when your fingers are wet or greasy for example.

But yeah, I can envision a lot more potential failure scenarios for Face ID. One of the obvious ones being Halloween where everyone's wearing masks and whatnot. And winter when people are dressed like this:

23nytoday4-blog480.jpg

Not like Touch ID would work when you're bundled up w gloves in winter either

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I assume the X will have the best camera? Nearly went with the 7+ because of the better camera but wanted the size of the 7. So hopefully the X has a camera on par with the +

I'm really curious how the iPhone X will work with programs like AT&T Next. I'm already enrolled in that, and I wonder if my monthly fee would just be higher than the ~$35 it is now?

StoopKid

I'm really curious how the iPhone X will work with programs like AT&T Next. I'm already enrolled in that, and I wonder if my monthly fee would just be higher than the ~$35 it is now?

Hopefully it's sorta like sprint when you go for a higher storage space you put $100 down but the monthly payment stays the same.

Jigolo

So overall I like the direction but will wait for 120hz and fingerprint underscreen before I let go of my 6S+

I thought there was a rumour a bit ago that said that Face ID may even work if your face is partially covered.

All pointless stuff to speculate until we know how it really works.

Fuchsdh

I thought there was a rumour a bit ago that said that Face ID may even work if your face is partially covered.

All pointless stuff to speculate until we know how it really works.

I don't see why it wouldn't, honestly. Face ID is going to be much less secure inherently versus Touch ID, you might as well have it work to a tolerance like that.

Fhtagn

to follow up on the previous page's A11 talk:

looks like it's four slower cores and two big ones, but unlike the previous fusion chips of two high/ two low where it's either one pair or the other, this one is 6 cores that can work together as needed.

https://twitter.com/never_released/status/906964204757929984

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/906960425048297472

I don't see why it wouldn't, honestly. Face ID is going to be much less secure inherently versus Touch ID, you might as well have it work to a tolerance like that.

We'll have to see how it works in the real world but the better-sourced rumors say it's exactly the opposite, lower false-positive rate than Touch ID.

btkadams

To those that have a better understanding of how this thing would 3D map a face....do you think it would have an issue if you have facial hair and/or glasses?

Shearie

The thing that worrys me is how easy it seems like it'll be for someone I know to pick up my phone near me and have my unlocked phone in their hands. Having a way to turn off Face ID isn't a good solution to that either since that means I'm going to be using my passcode a lot in certain situations. Maybe Apple has a solution to this, although this won't affect me for a few years anyway since I'm going to get the regular iPhone 8 so I can use that money saved to get a new Apple Watch also.

Fhtagn

The thing that worrys me is how easy it seems like it'll be for someone I know to pick up my phone near me and have my unlocked phone in their hands. Having a way to turn off Face ID isn't a good solution to that either since that means I'm going to be using my passcode a lot in certain situations. Maybe Apple has a solution to this, although this won't affect me for a few years anyway since I'm going to get the regular iPhone 8 so I can use that money saved to get a new Apple Watch also.

It likely can tell that you weren't holding it when unlock was attempted.

The other thing that seems like a huge pain in the ass is having to type your password into every app that you use Touch ID for now, like banking. Hope they are all ready to hop on the Face ID bandwagon quickly

Shearie

It likely can tell that you weren't holding it when unlock was attempted.

If that becomes true then it would be pretty great...although that means that the only way to unlock your phone when it's lying on a table is either with a passcode or by picking it up and putting it back down...

I think you just have to trust that apple has thought of these things. At least for today.

Thinking Apple would introduce a new biometric without having it apply to Apple Pay is the most puzzling shit in the world to me. And it keeps popping up, over and over again, regardless of what leaks of varying credibility say.

Considering the ports fiasco on the Macbook Pro lineup, it's hard to dispel these rumours on the basis that they "don't make sense."

Fuchsdh

Why do you say that?

If someone was going to target me to gain access into my phone, creating a facsimile or printout of my face is a lot easier than going through the effort to get my fingerprint and replicate it on the necessary surface to fool the scanner.

Maybe Apple's figured out a way that those exploits aren't a problem on the iPhone and will tout them, I dunno. I'm just going off of existing tech in phones and how it's... got its limitations.

(It also suggests a weaker security implementation if you're detained by the police, although that may just be a paranoid/niche concern, especially since court precedent is that forcing you to use your finger doesn't run afoul of US constitutional protections versus divulging your passcode.)

Considering the ports fiasco on the Macbook Pro lineup, it's hard to dispel these rumours on the basis that they "don't make sense."

Define "fiasco"?

Sec0nd

I was pretty onboard with the new iPhone rumors until the FaceID became really prevalent. I'm hoping for Apple to debunk that myth or prove me wrong regarding the concept. It just seems like an annoying TouchID replacement.

Top Bottom