• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

The other thing that seems like a huge pain in the ass is having to type your password into every app that you use Touch ID for now, like banking. Hope they are all ready to hop on the Face ID bandwagon quickly

They probably won't need to do anything. TouchID is a system level API - when an app asks for TouchID verification iOS will just do FaceID instead.

Red

If someone was going to target me to gain access into my phone, creating a facsimile or printout of my face is a lot easier than going through the effort to get my fingerprint and replicate it on the necessary surface to fool the scanner.

Maybe Apple's figured out a way that those exploits aren't a problem on the iPhone and will tout them, I dunno. I'm just going off of existing tech in phones and how it's... got its limitations.

(It also suggests a weaker security implementation if you're detained by the police, although that may just be a paranoid/niche concern, especially since court precedent is that forcing you to use your finger doesn't run afoul of US constitutional protections versus divulging your passcode.)

Define "fiasco"?
By accounts so far, FaceID sounds more reliable than TouchID. It detects a 3D image of your face, so unless someone has sculpted a true-to-life bust you shouldn't need to worry. iOS 11 is also coding in a biometric lock, so you can disable FaceID at will if you feel it will compromise your security. Of course, our understanding of all this may change as we learn more.

If someone was going to target me to gain access into my phone, creating a facsimile or printout of my face is a lot easier than going through the effort to get my fingerprint and replicate it on the necessary surface to fool the scanner.

Everything seems to indicate that it's using 3D cameras. A simple image isn't going to fool it. Unless you are a person who's phone contains something of incredible value to people, I don't think anyone is going to go to the extreme lengths they'd need to in order to create an accurate 3D model of your face. And if your phone is that valuable - use a long password. TouchID isn't secure enough for that either.

Guess Who

Banned
It occurs to me that all the 3D positional shit in ARKit is almost certainly going to be part of FaceID in terms of being able to recognize your face at different angles and positions.

Fhtagn

If that becomes true then it would be pretty great...although that means that the only way to unlock your phone when it's lying on a table is either with a passcode or by picking it up and putting it back down...

My guess is it looks to see how many people are in view, the angle of arms and faces in view, and at who's looking where and then makes an educated guess on whether to unlock or not.

Sean

Banned
We'll have to see how it works in the real world but the better-sourced rumors say it's exactly the opposite, lower false-positive rate than Touch ID.

I admittedly have zero clue on how the technology works, but I'm a bit skeptical of that claim.

Facial appearances change literally every single day. Men grow facial hair (beards, staches, goatees) which could potentially make it harder to detect their jaw and cheeks etc. Women cake their face with tons of makeup daily and I would think applying eye shadow and lipstick makes it harder to detect the true shape of their eyes and lips. Simply wearing sunglasses on a sunny day seems like it'd remove a lot of data points (eyes and brows) used for facial scanning. Then there's smaller cosmetic stuff like nose and lip rings etc. Or even stuff like acne breakouts.

I'm sure that Apple accounted for most if not all of those scenarios. But it just seems like there's a LOT more ways facial scanning can potentially get confused versus a fingerprint scanner. Again though, I have no clue on how this works, so I may be wildly off base here. Looking forward to the demo on Tuesday and seeing people test it.

antispin

I admittedly have zero clue on how the technology works, but I'm a bit skeptical of that claim.

Facial appearances change literally every single day. Men grow facial hair (beards, staches, goatees) which could potentially make it harder to detect their jaw and cheeks etc. Women cake their face with tons of makeup daily and I would think applying eye shadow and lipstick makes it harder to detect the true shape of their eyes and lips. Simply wearing sunglasses on a sunny day seems like it'd remove a lot of data points (eyes and brows) used for facial scanning. Then there's smaller cosmetic stuff like nose and lip rings etc. Or even stuff like acne breakouts.

I'm sure that Apple accounted for most if not all of those scenarios. But it just seems like there's a LOT more ways facial scanning can potentially get confused versus a fingerprint scanner. Again though, I have no clue on how this works, so I may be wildly off base here. Looking forward to the demo on Tuesday and seeing people test it.

It probably relies more on facial topology than facial features.

It probably relies more on facial topology than facial features.

TMLjbG8.gif

I wonder what identical twins are thinking about this, especially the ones that publicly would say they trust their sibling but secretly wouldn’t want their sibling to use their phone. “Hey bro why’d you turn off FaceID?”

I wonder what identical twins are thinking about this, especially the ones that publicly would say they trust their sibling but secretly wouldn’t want their sibling to use their phone. “Hey bro why’d you turn off FaceID?”

Windows Hello can distinguish between twins, this totally should

hirokazu

That's just the writer's own conjecture, dude. There was evidence that Apple Pay worked with Face ID back with the HomePod leak, and that was the first real confirmation that Face ID was even a thing.

I've been going through this thread from time to time and you seem pretty dedicated to this No Face ID with Apple Pay thing. My advice is probably don't read Slashgear for Apple rumours if that's the quality of their reporting.

hirokazu

The other thing that seems like a huge pain in the ass is having to type your password into every app that you use Touch ID for now, like banking. Hope they are all ready to hop on the Face ID bandwagon quickly
I'd imagine that's really easy to transition over since they just pass the message to display in the prompt to the Touch ID API and wait for the Secure Enclave to pass an authorisation back to the app. Just substitute the Touch ID API with a new API that prompt for either depending on the device and viola.

new phones have intel modems? oh lord
Yeah, I hope Intel's upped their game while Apple and Qualcomm duke it out in the courts.

hirokazu

Maybe Apple's figured out a way that those exploits aren't a problem on the iPhone and will tout them, I dunno. I'm just going off of existing tech in phones and how it's... got its limitations.
I somehow seriously doubt Apple is gonna replace Touch ID with a Face ID implementation that can be fooled by a printout. I also wouldn't rely on the limitations of existing tech by other vendors as a guide for what Apple potentially has in store.

https://www.cultofmac.com/498524/apples-3d-sensing-technology-two-years-ahead-competition/

I don't know any more than the info already out there, but let's wait and see rather than doubt it before seeing it.

Two Words

Maybe they’ll do Apple Pay like the Apple Watch does? Double tap the pow....side button to enable it, and the phone is always pre-authorised as long as it has seen your face recently? Like the Apple Watch doesn’t require authentication as long as it stays on your wrist after the first pin code entry.

Apple Watch can work that way only because it knows when you have taken it off. So it can safely assume that if you unlocked it and you're still wearing it, then you are you. Can't do the same thing with the iPhone.

Stupid question time. Since it seems apparent that the new AppleTV will be 4K with HDR and Dolby Vision, what are the odds that Apple shows off the new phone cameras that will record 4k video in HDR10 and Dolby Vision?

jstripes

Banned
Stupid question time. Since it seems apparent that the new AppleTV will be 4K with HDR and Dolby Vision, what are the odds that Apple shows off the new phone cameras that will record 4k video in HDR10 and Dolby Vision?

I have no doubt that the new iPhones will take photos and video in HDR (and not "HDR", that horrible Frankenstein glowey thing the past several years have had.) It could have implications in digital photography.

Red

Glowy thing?

Previous iPhones have stacked exposures to restore detail in shadows and highlights during HDR capture. What "glowy thing" you talking about?

The 7 already captures photos in DCI P3 color space. Are we expecting some further improvement?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Glowy thing?

Previous iPhones have stacked exposures to restore detail in shadows and highlights during HDR capture. What "glowy thing" you talking about?
Google "bad HDR photography", same technique, with super stylized over-processing.

My understanding is there are two types of face unlocks on the s8. The less secure one that can be fooled by a pic and the iris scan method that is similar to Windows hello. Is that not true?

Yeah, that top video has those twins try to fool the iris scanner (unsuccessfully).

I’ve read impressions saying it’s finicky and sometimes doesn’t work with glasses or whatever, but I’ve also read (most in GAF threads) that it’s pretty darn reliable. So I’m guessing it’s one of those YMMV type things.

Aru

I just hope that UHD movies playback will come to Windows version of iTunes, because I don't want to buy an Apple TV just for that when my PC is connected to my TV. And that it won't require a recent CPU, I'm still rocking a Sandy Bridge i7 that I'm not going to replace anytime soon.

1080p movies work on my desktop even if iTunes says that it isn't compatible, hope it's the same for 4K movies.

Guess Who

Banned
I just hope that UHD movies playback will come to Windows version of iTunes, because I don't want to buy an Apple TV just for that when my PC is connected to my TV. And that it won't require a recent CPU, I'm still rocking a Sandy Bridge i7 that I'm not going to replace anytime soon.

1080p movies work on my desktop even if iTunes says that it isn't compatible, hope it's the same for 4K movies.

Decoding 4K HEVC on a Sandy Bridge CPU is going to be a world of hurt. Maybe if your GPU has hardware HEVC acceleration.

If you're on the latest Windows 10, try playing "Camp (Nature) 4K HDR Demo (Sony)" from http://www.4ktv.de/testvideos/ in Windows Media Player and see how that goes.

Aru

Decoding 4K HEVC on a Sandy Bridge CPU is going to be a world of hurt. Maybe if your GPU has hardware HEVC acceleration.

If you're on the latest Windows 10, try playing "Camp (Nature) 4K HDR Demo (Sony)" from http://www.4ktv.de/testvideos/ in Windows Media Player and see how that goes.

I have a GTX 1070 that can handle hardware decoding of HEVC videos up to 8K resolution. Will try the video, thanks.

Already tried a bunch of 4K videos on my desktop, but not sure they were encoded in HEVC.

So they're releasing a bad copy of the S7/S8 but with some animated emoji?

(I actually kind of like the cheesy awful animated emoji)

Two Words

I have the latest MBP with HEVC. I can't get it to play in Quick Time and it just dies on VLC. IINA is able to play it at a very choppy pace, but my laptop goes crazy. I'm guessing that VLC and IINA are not taking advantage of the hardware-level HVEC decoding?

Guess Who

Banned
I have the latest MBP with HEVC. I can't get it to play in Quick Time and it just dies on VLC. IINA is able to play it at a very choppy pace, but my laptop goes crazy. I'm guessing that VLC and IINA are not taking advantage of the hardware-level HVEC decoding?

VLC and IINA don't support HEVC hardware acceleration on Mac yet, and QuickTime won't until High Sierra.

Somnid

If I were you I'd immediately stop buying things on iTunes. You're just making it hard for yourself.

Aru

If I were you I'd immediately stop buying things on iTunes. You're just making it hard for yourself.

Why? Still cheaper than buying a 4K Bluray player (and 4K Bluray movies) and 1080p movies work great. It's just when downloading that I get a warning that 1080p "isn't supported on this computer", but when watching a movie, no issue there.

I rarely buy movies though. My father buys quite a few 1080p Blurays each month and I just borrow most movies from him. Other times I just rent one, preferably on iTunes because Google Play encoding sucks in dark scenes.

I'm upgrading to 4K Netflix once I get FTTH Internet, but laws prevent movies from being put on the service until 3 years after theater launch.

Guess Who

Banned
Hmmm... any players that already do HEVC hardware acceleration?

On macOS? Not that I know of. Until recently there were extremely few Macs with any HEVC hardware support so there hasn't been a lot of incentive to develop it (and I'm not sure if it's possible to? That might be something High Sierra drivers have to expose or something).

takoyaki

Steve Troughton Smith via 9to5mac

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/10/ipho...f-ram-iphone-8-plus-and-iphone-x-to-pack-3gb/
As far as RAM goes, Smith says the iPhone 8 will feature 2GB, while the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X will both feature 3GB. For comparison’s sake, the iPhone 7 Plus features 3GB of RAM and the iPhone 7 packs 2GB. As you can see, there’s not a huge difference in terms of RAM specs here but

In terms of camera technology, Smith says the iPhone X will feature a 12MP rear-facing camera with support for 4K video at 60 FPS and 1080p video at 240 FPS. As for the front camera, the device packs a 7MP camera with support for 1080p video at 30 FPS.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/11/4k-apple-tv-a10x/
By digging into the code, he believes the new Apple TV will be powered by an A10X Fusion chip, coupled with 3GB RAM. This represents a big increase in power and may signal a larger direction beyond 4K movies and TV shows. [...]

Troughton-Smith notes that the A10 series may have been required to play 4K 60FPS content, which users will be able to shoot with the new iPhone 8 and iPhone X

How long after the keynote finishes can it be watched online? It’s starts at 3am where I live and I wanna watch it before work from like 630am maybe.

Fuchsdh

Given that there are people in threads on NeoGAF complaining about the "huge" bezels on current iPhones, there's obviously a market out there that wants edge to edge displays, and it's kind of pointless to make any firm declarations on the subject's utility when it hasn't been released (my reservations are entirely theoretical until we see Apple's implementation.)

If you're the person who needs on-board USB-A ports, it's not like someone's forcing you to buy a Mac. And yet Mac sales continue to hold steady or climb. While it sucks to realize your opinion doesn't matter: it doesn't. Most people don't care. The world turns. You can either accept other people have different priorities or concerns than you, or go on a message forum and rage about "sheeple".

I feel like a big reason that AppleTV would get comparatively beefy specs is simply to get a longer-lived product if they're not updating it every year.

takoyaki

How long after the keynote finishes can it be watched online? It's starts at 3am where I live and I wanna watch it before work from like 630am maybe.

I think you could watch the live-stream with timeshift (on some devices/browsers) the last couple of keynotes and it didn't take them very long to put up the whole video after the presentation was over. You should be fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Given that there are people in threads on NeoGAF complaining about the "huge" bezels on current iPhones, there's obviously a market out there that wants edge to edge displays, and it's kind of pointless to make any firm declarations on the subject's utility when it hasn't been released (my reservations are entirely theoretical until we see Apple's implementation.)

If you're the person who needs on-board USB-A ports, it's not like someone's forcing you to buy a Mac. And yet Mac sales continue to hold steady or climb. While it sucks to realize your opinion doesn't matter: it doesn't. Most people don't care. The world turns. You can either accept other people have different priorities or concerns than you, or go on a message forum and rage about "sheeple".

I feel like a big reason that AppleTV would get comparatively beefy specs is simply to get a longer-lived product if they're not updating it every year.

I was using a Samsung galaxy s8 at work this morning for about 20 minutes and I'm already smitten by no bezels. I've taken a look in stores before and thought 'whats the big deal', but using one even for just a short time is very different

Fuchsdh

I was using a Samsung galaxy s8 at work this morning for about 20 minutes and I'm already smitten by no bezels. I've taken a look in stores before and thought 'whats the big deal', but using one even for just a short time is very different

My historical resistance has always been about possible greater susceptibility to screen damage and false positives registering from your grip, but especially with the iPad Pro Apple seems to have gotten good about screening "bad" touches on the display and in owning my own phone I've never dropped it, so I don't have any real personal concern about it now. I especially would rather have a smaller device overall, so if they're going to keep making larger screens smaller bezels are my only option.

Top Bottom