• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

takoyaki

iOS 11 includes software to avoid burn-in on iPhone X OLED screen
In digging through the iPhone X firmware leaked over the weekend, we have found one more small tidbit: reference to a burn-in mitigation feature for the OLED screen.

[...] Whilst LCD panels can experience it too, OLED panels currently on the market are especially prone to experiencing burn-in on the display: where a faint ‘ghost’ image sticks around for a long time.

[...] Some Samsung phones use pixel shifting techniques to subtly change the position of content on the screen to limit the amount of time a pixel is constantly displaying the same color.

giga

A10X Apple TV? Please just make that a Mac mini running MacOS. Just need to bump the storage to 128gb storage. 4gb ram is pushing it though so maybe bump that and increase the price to $250.

kaskade

So apparently you can do the iPhone Upgrade Progam all online now. I figured I was going to have to do the online reservation again and then go to the store. My closest store is an hour away and I was still stuck in line for a couple of hours even with the appointment. This is some good news.

So apparently you can do the iPhone Upgrade Progam all online now. I figured I was going to have to do the online reservation again and then go to the store. My closest store is an hour away and I was still stuck in line for a couple of hours even with the appointment. This is some good news.

Have you gotten this to work? I can’t figure it out.

reKon

Banned
The only thing I really care about that this phone will have over the others (if true) is that rear shooting 4K 60fps camera. That's just sexy. If this is the case then LG knows what to do for their V40 phone next year.

I feel like a big reason that AppleTV would get comparatively beefy specs is simply to get a longer-lived product if they're not updating it every year.

After getting a 4K TV going thru a Roku (returned it), and a FireTV (I moved it to my upstairs bedroom and put my AppleTV 4 back on the 4K TV), I am super excited for the AppleTV even more than the phone. I will buy/pre-order immediately as long as under $200.

kaskade

Have you gotten this to work? I can’t figure it out.

Download the Apple Store app on your phone.Go to my account and it'll show upgrade eligibility and you can go from there. Some people on reddit who work at Apple Stores say you can do the whole process online now when upgrading.

Download the Apple Store app on your phone.Go to my account and it'll show upgrade eligibility and you can go from there. Some people on reddit who work at Apple Stores say you can do the whole process online now when upgrading.

Just figured out T-Mobile is the only major carrier that requires you to do it in-person. Thanks though!

Zutroy

Looks like in the U.K. you'll have to do it in store. That's annoying!

empyrean

Do we think he iPhone x will come with wireless headphones as standard? If they want a premium then might be a good way to soften the blow?

Chao

I'll just wait to see how many of these features will be made available for my 6 months old iPhone 7.

Although they should probably work without issue, I expect none of them.

Fhtagn

I'll just wait to see how many of these features will be made available for my 6 months old iPhone 7.

Although they should probably work without issue, I expect none of them.

The features that require new hardware won't, all of the rest will.

pronk420

I think the Animoji looks a bit tacky, like yet another snapchat cloning attempt. I guess its cool to have if you use iMessage.

I hope the normal models have the X screen next year. Most of the leaked stuff sounds like it is specific to the X, so there isn't really much point in the standard 8 model beyond a specs bump.

Red

I think the Animoji looks a bit tacky, like yet another snapchat cloning attempt. I guess its cool to have if you use iMessage.

I hope the normal models have the X screen next year. Most of the leaked stuff sounds like it is specific to the X, so there isn't really much point in the standard 8 model beyond a specs bump.
I wouldn't call them tacky. Superfluous, sure. But then so is 90% of recent iMessage features.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, but when did the iPhone ever produce those types of pictures in-camera?
Never, but that's what a lot of people associated HDR with, like when bump mapping just meant everything "looked wet" in games.

Also there is the problem that "HDR" on TVs and displays seems more about wide color gamut than dynamic range?

Red

Never, but that's what a lot of people associated HDR with, like when bump mapping just meant everything "looked wet" in games.

Also there is the problem that "HDR" on TVs and displays seems more about wide color gamut than dynamic range?
The faux-HDR posterized app-filter look was gross, but it was never a stock option on iOS. I was responding to someone who said that HDR on iPhones has been glowy "the past several years." That was never true. I agree that many people seem confused by what HDR actually means.

Patriots7

So is the 8+ essentially the same as the X with a larger body, similar sceeen size and lacks the OLED screen, wireless charging and 3D face stuff? Sorry if I missed it

I like the size of my 6S+.

Jigolo

So is the 8+ essentially the same as the X with a larger body, similar sceeen size and lacks the OLED screen, wireless charging and 3D face stuff? Sorry if I missed it

I like the size of my 6S+.
It has wireless charging. No face id and cameras might be different but otherwise yes.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Leaked tvOS build indicates updates to the Siri Remote. There is a god!

What's wrong with it?

The "touchpad" seemed to work REALLY well when I played with it at an Apple store. Easily my favorite way to navigate one of these TV boxes.

giga

What's wrong with it?

The "touchpad" seemed to work REALLY well when I played with it at an Apple store. Easily my favorite way to navigate one of these TV boxes.

People seem to be really two sided about this, but the basic thing is that it's not very ergonomic. It's thin and slippery and the touchpad and bottom surface feel very similar, so it's not easy to tell at first if you're holding it properly. So whenever you pick it up, you have to see if you're holding it right side up.

Outside of that, it's better than any remote I've used for navigation. Very fast and fluid. They could fix the ergonomic issues by just making the aluminum surface different than the glass touchpad one. Or even a different color.

Easy fix is to just put a rubber band on the bottom surface. And there are plenty of cases too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looks like in the U.K. you'll have to do it in store. That's annoying!

Howndies it even work? Can you preorder the phone and then go in-store to convert it to the upgrade program? If it's literally a free for all first-come-first-served then it seems a risky approach if iPhone X is supply constrained

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
siri remote for me is close but not quite. things I would change

Mic button needs to respond way faster. it's a good 1000-1500ms lag when you press it. I mean this isn't unusable, but it definitely is nowhere near as instant as "hey siri" on the phone (i.e. starting to accept your request. not the speed of response to request).

agreed that the top and bottom are way too symmetric. blindly picking up the remote and swiping only to have the wrong end.

ergonomics for me is ok.. the one thing I don't like though is the "skip" placement. If you aren't right on the edge, it will just pause.. ok, no problem. But then when you go right on the edge, sometimes it won't register the click (or you are so far off the edge that it will reject your touch)

umm.. those are about it I think.. most of it could (hopefully?) be fixed in software.. but the symmetric thing would need a new remote.

while we are on the subject of apple tv.... man... hulu like improved their app... but now it's back to buggy as shit and working sporadically with TV app again... grrr....

and of course, YouTube is the single worst version of YouTube across any system. I have to believe Google did that 100% intentionally.

Sucks because as apple becomes more invested in content creation, most companies have reason to make their apps on ATV even less usable or more frustrating.. arrghh....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hate the apple TV remote. Trackpad is great for gross movements but not for fine control. Yes you can tap the edges but then you're adjusting your way of interacting constantly

borghe

for me it works well with small movements.. I mean you adjust.. but that's every control interface.

Shearie

I really hope the new iPhones and Apple Watches get Bluetooth 5 since it would probably speed up the communication between the two significantly. Was surprised that the new iPads are still on 4.2.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
LG's ''wiimote" like remote with the mouse scroll wheel is best for me.
I like the idea of the ATV remote, but yeah, could use better ergonomics.

I don't use either though unless I need to as the small screen-less Harmony hub controller is the best feeling in my hand. Love it to death.

Hate the apple TV remote. Trackpad is great for gross movements but not for fine control. Yes you can tap the edges but then you're adjusting your way of interacting constantly

I don't know how it got past the initial design process. If you're in the dark or not looking at the remote, it's almost impossible to tell if you're holding it correctly. Who the fuck approved a remote that feels the same whether you're holding it correctly or incorrectly?

Not to mention, if you're sitting by the remote or happen to have a dog or cat brush against it, good luck finding your spot again after it fast forwards 20 minutes.

Ashhong

LG's ''wiimote" like remote with the mouse scroll wheel is best for me.
I like the idea of the ATV remote, but yeah, could use better ergonomics.

I don't use either though unless I need to as the small screen-less Harmony hub controller is the best feeling in my hand. Love it to death.

The LG remote would be perfect if that scroll wheel was a full on ball and allowed for left/right movement as well

I think a wireless charging mat for the TV Remote would be tremendous and so would haptic feedback. But really, what I think the ATV needs is always-listening Hey Siri support and maybe a Kinect-esque camera.

j-wood

I bought the 7 last year, as my first iPhone. Did the payment plan thing for Verizon, and I'm due for the upgrade since I've paid half the phone off (meaning I give VZW the 7, and get a different phone).

What are my options for doing a pre-order for the X? Do I have to go through verizon or should I go through apple directly? Do they link with Verizon where I can still do that trade in?

The current Apple TV remote is appalling. Almost everything I do just needs digital direction input and the trackpad is terrible for that.

The current Apple TV remote is appalling. Almost everything I do just needs digital direction input and the trackpad is terrible for that.

Its been appaling for a while, the current one is an abhorrent piece of trash. For a company that is so forward with accessibility. Who the fuck made the texture of both sides of the remote the same

timshundo

I don't know how it got past the initial design process. If you're in the dark or not looking at the remote, it's almost impossible to tell if you're holding it correctly. Who the fuck approved a remote that feels the same whether you're holding it correctly or incorrectly?

Not to mention, if you're sitting by the remote or happen to have a dog or cat brush against it, good luck finding your spot again after it fast forwards 20 minutes.

Everything about the current Apple TV was a rush job.

I bought the 7 last year, as my first iPhone. Did the payment plan thing for Verizon, and I'm due for the upgrade since I've paid half the phone off (meaning I give VZW the 7, and get a different phone).

What are my options for doing a pre-order for the X? Do I have to go through verizon or should I go through apple directly? Do they link with Verizon where I can still do that trade in?

Yes, as long as you have all the Verizon account information you can upgrade through Apple's site and still have the option to trade that phone in to Verizon to reset your contract.

a916

Burn in is my biggest concern with the X. I hope this is a system-wide solution that also prevents burn in from third party apps. Hope they address it on stage, its still a prevalent issue even on the latest Samsung flagships.

I jumped from a Samsung to a iPhone a few years back, it sucks there isn't a good solution just yet for OLED.

It does feel like it exists to get the API out there and start developing the OS but the actual hardware isn’t anywhere near the intended end goal and the services side of things is obviously years behind.

Netflix supporting TV.app would be awfully nice but Netflix has no need or desire to do so.

borghe

wut?

This is just silly. Come the fuck on....

The remote needs a little work.

But the current unit itself is WAY more than capable. It has every graphic, audio and game API from iOS, an A8 CPU (which even though a year old at the time, was still the fastest mobile CPU available then), BTL4E, is capable as a home automation hub, and in the past year or so has received a content aggregation system, single sign on for TV providers, unified content search, etc

NOTHING about the hardware or OS came across as rushed. Now software has been super slow to roll out... oh but wait...

the video streaming content that has been slow to roll out are services which either have their own branded hardware, or have exclusivity agreements with other platforms/consoles

games everyone would love to come out (indies on iOS) ALSO frequently have console exclusivity agreements to one platform, or which we already know from developers that Sony, MS and Nintendo all consider Apple TV a "console platform" when it comes to making these exclusivity arrangements.

so yeah... the remote needs some work.. but the hardware even today is near the top as the most powerful retail streamer box (the A8 is still punching its weight in the iPhone 6), and the unit debuting tomorrow is insanely ahead of every other current dedicated streaming box.

It does feel like it exists to get the API out there and start developing the OS but the actual hardware isn't anywhere near the intended end goal and the services side of things is obviously years behind.

Netflix supporting TV.app would be awfully nice but Netflix has no need or desire to do so.

services being years behind are because those services are either competitors to apple, or have exclusivity arrangements with other platforms. Though I'd still strongly disagree with "years".. Also the A8 with 1GB RAM is still the most powerful hardware. Lack of 4K hasn't done anything in the market (where there is still next to no 4K commercial streaming content available).. also which will change when apple starts releasing UHD content with this unit.

Roo

It has wireless charging. No face id and cameras might be different but otherwise yes.
Actually, all cameras (sans infrared one) are the same if the rumor about the portrait features being present on all devices is true.

So yeah, other than face ID and OLED, edge to edge display 8 Plus and X are virtually the same phone.

Top Bottom