• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

So, has anyone tried this on an iPhone 6 yet? I'm very worried about the performance dropping on this one. Seems the betas were quite slow and laggy on it.

The Verge posted an article about the upgrade program being able to be used online now. https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/11/16290644/apple-iphone-upgrade-program-customers-trade-in-kit-mail

It really is so nice that we can do this now, especially after that whole thing last year with having a limited stock for the upgrade program. Hopefully it's all the same stock now to make it fair.

I know why they're publishing that article now, but this system isn't new, it's been available for months

Edit: it is new for this year's upgrades, however, yes. Most people don't upgrade with iUP in spring

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My only hope at this point is that the iPhone X isn't delayed until October like some outlets are reporting. My 6+ is on its last legs.

The iPhone X is going to be severely supply constrained. I'm guessing it will be difficult to get one even 6 months from now. There literally aren't enough OLED displays in the world to make them quickly.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/07/speculation_on_new_iphone_pricing

A few weeks I can live with. If it’s AirPod style and still hard to get hold of in several months I think I’d just go with an 8 and then either sell/swap when the X is more available, or say fuck it and wait until the XI. Or go completely crazy and get an S8.

subrock

A few weeks I can live with. If it’s AirPod style and still hard to get hold of in several months I think I’d just go with an 8 and then either sell/swap when the X is more available, or say fuck it and wait until the XI. Or go completely crazy and get an S8.

I would bet some fairly confident bucks on these being in the 2-3 month shipping range from the moment they go live. This is meant to be the future phone, while the 8 and 8+ are the ones that keep the iPhone profit machine running.

The iPhone X is going to be severely supply constrained. I'm guessing it will be difficult to get one even 6 months from now. There literally aren't enough OLED displays in the world to make them quickly.

I have no problem with having to camp the website and push through supply constraints. I just want that camping to be rewarded on September 22nd, not October 22nd.

I would bet some fairly confident bucks on these being in the 2-3 month shipping range from the moment they go live. This is meant to be the future phone, while the 8 and 8+ are the ones that keep the iPhone profit machine running.

No way it's that long. I think it'll start to ship late October at the latest. Most analysts seem to think that as well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So, has anyone tried this on an iPhone 6 yet? I'm very worried about the performance dropping on this one. Seems the betas were quite slow and laggy on it.
I have it on iPhone 6. First two betas were a disaster in terms of performance, now it’s about the same as ios10. Perhaps a little worse. If I wasn’t a developer, I probably wouldn’t bother updating 6 to iOS11. I don’t really see much of benefit, and it is probably a bit more sluggish, plus I lost all the 32 bit games on top of that.

I'm honestly still very open to just going with an iPhone 8+ over an iPhone X if that means having an easier time getting it. Gonna have to depend on what the in-person impressions are from tech journalists, but the A11 improvements are a big deal and that's gonna be hitting all of the phones. I'm curious about battery life specs too, and about whether the display feels like a genuine generational leap in quality (OLED *and* TrueTone *and* ProMotion would absolutely qualify).

hirokazu

A10X Apple TV? Please just make that a Mac mini running MacOS. Just need to bump the storage to 128gb storage. 4gb ram is pushing it though so maybe bump that and increase the price to $250.
Why would they go back to making Apple TV a modified Mac mini?

a916

I thought it was reported they were "only" a month behind schedule... take into account the even higher price point, I don't ever see it being that much.

Guess Who

Banned
Wide-gamut: it can display a wider range of colors (colors can be more saturated/intense)

10-bit: there are more gradual steps between each shade of a color (smoother transitions)

HDR: a combination of wide-gamut color, (usually) 10-bit (or better) color, and very high contrast ratios (usually requiring extremely bright backlighting or bright OLED pixels) to make more vivid and higher-contrast images than previous display tech

Current Apple displays are wide-gamut, but not 10-bit (because there's still 8 bits each for red/green/blue) or HDR (because they don't meet the brightness requirements, with the exception of the latest iPad Pros, which are "mobile" HDR which has a less stringent brightness requirement than TV standards)

Symphonia

Banned
So the iOS 11 GM should be released at 6pm GMT today. Do I need a PC to download it? Or, as I’m part of the beta, do I just get an update in Settings?

hirokazu

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to apps that are not updated for the 8 when it comes out. Will there just be black bars on the top and bottom until they update the app?
If the app is using adaptive UI, as has been recommended for a while now (and is what allows Side-by-Side and SlideOver to work on iPad), it should work out of the box (but probably won't display anything in the notch area unless the app is updated).

So the iOS 11 GM should be released at 6pm GMT today. Do I need a PC to download it? Or, as I'm part of the beta, do I just get an update in Settings?
You'll receive it OTA if you have the dev profile installed. I don't think they release the GM to regular beta testers, they just make you wait for the public release like everyone else.

If you don't have the dev profile, you can usually find the IPSW illicitly and install it via iTunes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No way it's that long. I think it'll start to ship late October at the latest. Most analysts seem to think that as well.

yeah but if supplies are limited, it'll be out of stock instantly which will push back shipping estimates to 1-3 months really fast.

Majine

Banned
True Tone was a total bust on the iPad personally.

Had it on the first day, turned it off and the screen looked much better. Never turned it on again.

yeah but if supplies are limited, it'll be out of stock instantly which will push back shipping estimates to 1-3 months really fast.

The thing is, they are getting up to another month and a half of production time for the X if they launch by late October. By that point, supply might be closer to what it typically is for an iPhone launch.

giga

True Tone was a total bust on the iPad personally.

Had it on the first day, turned it off and the screen looked much better. Never turned it on again.

You must be one of those people who hate flux/night shift too. True tone is great.

killroy87

I need to see this stuff in action, cuz on paper some of these specs look downright bad.

Do we know if it had Bluetooth 5.0?

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
As much as I love the idea is an Apple TV that is 4K capable, I have a movie library that is about 500 films and I doubt they will retroactively add 4K to those you have previously purchased. Will probably make you buy the film again if you want it in 4K.

takoyaki

As much as I love the idea is an Apple TV that is 4K capable, I have a movie library that is about 500 films and I doubt they will retroactively add 4K to those you have previously purchased. Will probably make you buy the film again if you want it in 4K.

When Apple updated the Apple TV from 720p to 1080p, you got access to 1080p versions of the movies you’d already purchased for free.

When they removed DRM from music files, you could upgrade your music library to DRM-free files by paying a fee (I think it was around 30% per song)

I’m expecting them to do one of those two things for 4k movies, depending on the price of 4k movies on iTunes (there was a rumor that Apple was pushing for $20 while studios want to charge $25-30).

At least I hope they do it like that, I’m certainly not buying my iTunes movies at full-price again either.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
When Apple updated the Apple TV from 720p to 1080p, you got access to 1080p versions of the movies you’d already purchased for free.

When they removed DRM from music files, you could upgrade your music library to DRM-free files by paying a fee (I think it was around 30% per song)

I’m expecting them to do one of those two things for 4k movies, depending on the price of 4k movies on iTunes (there was a rumor that Apple was pushing for $20 while studios want to charge $25-30).

At least I hope they do it like that, I’m certainly not buying my iTunes movies at full-price again either.

I wouldn’t mind paying $20 for a 4K movie. It’s only a slight increase over the $15 for a HD film.

You must be one of those people who hate flux/night shift too. True tone is great.
Night Shift is clumsy as fuck but TrueTone isn’t and does a great job of always making colors look ‘right’ in a variety of conditions. I wouldn’t compare the two.

Fuchsdh

90% sure they won't go with the latter. Probably going to be the upcharge because studios gonna' studio.

(I'm still bummed they didn't take the iTunes Plus model and go to lossless downloads. I would totally pay the 30¢ per song upcharge to get all my iTunes Music Store moved from lossy AAC to lossless ALAC.)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
When Apple updated the Apple TV from 720p to 1080p, you got access to 1080p versions of the movies you'd already purchased for free.

I'm expecting them to do one of those two things for 4k movies, depending on the price of 4k movies on iTunes (there was a rumor that Apple was pushing for $20 while studios want to charge $25-30).

At least I hope they do it like that, I'm certainly not buying my iTunes movies at full-price again either.

Going to throw the prediction out now.. $3-5 to upgrade existing movies to UHD, and $15 HD movies and $20 UHD movies. Apple will "win" for consumers by keeping new purchases at the same relative price, and "give in" to studios by not giving us free upgrades.

If I'm wrong, my backup prediction is the opposite. $17-20 HD movies, $22-25 UHD movies, but free upgrades for your existing movies to UHD. But this one seems much less likely. Studios will see more upfront on new purchases, but lose the bonus revenue of you "rebuying" your collection through upgrades.

is iOS11 coming out today?

GM almost certainly. (dev and public beta users). "official" release will likely be early next week. Though if you are already currently running the beta.. at this point the changes will likely be barely noticeable.

is there a conversion from GM to 'full' ios 11? Or will I be on the beta stream forever?

I always get myself in this position and I'm still not sure how it works.

I haven't installed the beta yet but was considering doing so now that it's pretty much the final version. I seem to recall last year being in the beta program, then removing the beta profile from my phone but having to wait for the first update after the public release before I got back 'in line' with everyone else.

Big Blue

4K HD is a whole new different format/container. I doubt they will upgrade them for free.

is there a conversion from GM to 'full' ios 11? Or will I be on the beta stream forever?

As soon as the 1st new update comes out

I always get myself in this position and I'm still not sure how it works.

I haven't installed the beta yet but was considering doing so now that it's pretty much the final version. I seem to recall last year being in the beta program, then removing the beta profile from my phone but having to wait for the first update after the public release before I got back 'in line' with everyone else.

The GM will be the official release, I don't think there has ever been an iOS release that has differed from the GM. Before public betas were a thing you could just get the GM when it went live for Devs (people would rehost it) and upgrade without any issues.

takoyaki

4K HD is a whole new different format/container. I doubt they will upgrade them for free.

Another thing is the inclusion of HDR. That makes it easier to market 4k content as its own category than last time when they just bumped the resolution from 720p to 1080p.

If I had to make one prediction, I’d say that SD content will largely go away (and just stick around as a download option for purchased movies) and that there will be two pricing options for movies:

$15HD/$20UHD for smaller movies/catalogue titles, $20HD/$25 UHD for the big new movies. And a $5 flat fee to upgrade a HD movie you currently own to UHD.

I’d be fine with that, everything above that seems excessive to me. Guess we’ll know in a few hours.

jstripes

Banned
The GM will be the official release, I don't think there has ever been an iOS release that has differed from the GM. Before public betas were a thing you could just get the GM when it went live for Devs (people would rehost it) and upgrade without any issues.

People don't understand that GM, Golden Master, is Apple's holdover term from the days when the software was complete and burned to a gold CD to be sent off to manufacturing. It's the same as Microsoft's RTM, Release to Manufacturing.

cjp

There's definitely been different build numbers between a GM release and the public release that came not long after. Can't remember what release it was. Maybe iOS 9.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

GM is usually the final. i.e. people who install the GM are almost never prompted to then install another version (final).

To get off of the public beta (or dev beta), delete the beta profile from your phone. it will leave intact the current OS installed on your phone, but will only then prompt you for future relevant updates.

There's definitely been different build numbers between a GM release and the public release that came not long after. Can't remember what release it was. Maybe iOS 9.

practically never. IIRC there was one "brick update" for a small number of phones which prompted a .0.1 update... but I don't believe we ever went from x.0.0 GM to x.0.0 release with different build numbers.

Top Bottom