• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I still have an issue with iPad Pro when I have an app up, and then put a messaging app like Facebook Messenger over top of it on the right. I go to type (with apple keyboard connected) and the little gray bar at the bottom (where word suggestions show) covers up the typing area on the message window so I can't see what I am typing.

I reported it, hope it's fixed.

kaskade

Carrot Weather was updated with AR support. First time I was able to test it out and it worked really well. Can’t wait to see what other apps support it in the future.

K-Gun

Installed it last night on my 9.7 Pro, seemed fine, only annoyance was choppy animation when bringing up Safari with multiple tabs open. Anyone else getting it? Not a deal breaker, but it looks sloppy. Might just be me though.

reKon

Banned
iOS 11 is smooth on my 2016 iPad Pro but it's really sluggish on my iPhone 6. Definitely upgrading to the X.

Has this software even been finalized? Did you factory reset your phone?

Sounds like you're trying to find an excuse haha to upgrade haha.

So it seems like they've gone back to not wanting to tell people the size of app updates? Also is there a way for me to turn up the brightness on an iPad by just swiping up like before and not having to hit the home button twice and do it from the multitasking screen?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So it seems like they've gone back to not wanting to tell people the size of app updates? Also is there a way for me to turn up the brightness on an iPad by just swiping up like before and not having to hit the home button twice and do it from the multitasking screen?

Can you still just enter the multitasking quickly by using 4 fingers to swipe up? I never double tap Home on iPad.

Has this software even been finalized? Did you factory reset your phone?

Sounds like you're trying to find an excuse haha to upgrade haha.

I am not looking for any excuses. It is the GM version so I am going to assume it's about as finalised as it's going to get baring any extra tweaking by next week. I did not factory reset. My girlfriend might take this after I get the X so I will factory reset then.

The battery has been better today.

cjp

Swipe up with one finger to bring up the dock and then just continue swiping up.

Mafro

Doesn't seem like you can tap the update tab in the App Store to force it to search for new updates anymore which is a bit annoying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm on GM and I'm still experiencing a bug with the music app. When I lock the phone, the music widget on the lock screen is blank and doesn't respond to touch. Might do a full restore once it launches.
The lock screen music widget has been broken all through the beta. Sometimes it just doesn't update and acts like the song is paused. How it's possible to have broken this when it was working fine in 10 is beyond me.

It's got pull to refresh now.
Pull to refresh is fine and all, but it really should have both. A lot of apps refresh when you tap the button for the tab. Twitter and FaceBook both do it. And when you do, it even scrolls to the top for you. App Store only scrolls to the top. Just do both. Standardize it across all apps.

At least Apple uses pull to refresh though. For a while I thought they'd never use it because it "wasn't invented here".

Red

I updated to the GM on my 7 plus. No more 3D Touch app switcher. I used this all the time. I hope it returns in the final build. I don’t remember the last time I double tapped to open that screen.

Oh my god the new app open/close animation is nauseating.

Enabling reduce motion still kills the speed of the app switcher.

I don’t like this.

I was really looking forward to this update, and even Apple’s conference this year. I have been very disappointed.

This picture sort of embodies all these updates:
I6jI8cK_d.jpg

I updated to the GM on my 7 plus. No more 3D Touch app switcher. I used this all the time. I hope it returns in the final build. I don’t remember the last time I double tapped to open that screen.

Oh my god the new app open/close animation is nauseating.

Enabling reduce motion still kills the speed of the app switcher.

I don’t like this.

I was really looking forward to this update, and even Apple’s conference this year. I have been very disappointed.

This picture sort of embodies all these updates:
I6jI8cK_d.jpg

They said they took out the 3D Touch switcher on purpose. There is no more build, barring some catastrophic event, the GM is what the public is getting next week

Oh nice. I wouldn't actually need this if the automatic app updates actually worked for me though.

Automatic app updates do work for everyone IIRC, but they don't get pushed to your phone as soon as the updates arrive - it'll generally happen overnight while it's plugged in instead (and occasionally only 24+ hours after the update initially appeared). I tend to be a little bit anal retentive about it so I'm always manually updating, but automatic updates do work - just much more slowly than doing it yourself.

Red

They said they took out the 3D Touch switcher on purpose. There is no more build, barring some catastrophic event, the GM is what the public is getting next week
why 🤢

despite the downsides, there is a lot I like in iOS 11. But like my most used 3D Touch feature is now gone

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
No, but there is no more app switcher access with a hard left press or swipe.
This makes sense to get rid of on because of the X. As the side bezels get smaller accidental touch rejection gets harder and the possibility of case interference gets higher.

Red

This makes sense to get rid of on because of the X. As the side bezels get smaller accidental touch rejection gets harder and the possibility of case interference gets higher.
That doesn’t justify taking it off all other devices.

RDreamer

No, just the app switching.
Why? I don't know. Should have left it on the phones with Home buttons.

This was my biggest worry that I posted in the X thread, that the UI team is going to be unifying around what they see as the future hardware design and even brand new iPhone 8s will be compromised a bit by strange UI decisions based around the X.

yeah app switching was pretty much the only reason why I used 3D touch.

Kinda dumb you can't really rearrange the control center icons either. I want the music controls closest to my thumb...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hate this. It would make so much more sense to be on the X. The CC should remain at the bottom. If you swipe from the top for the CC, how do you get to the Cover Sheet/Notification Center now?

mrkgoo

I hate this. It would make so much more sense to be on the X. The CC should remain at the bottom. If you swipe from the top for the CC, how do you get to the Cover Sheet/Notification Center now?

I thought I heard you swipe the status indicators from top to get control centre....would thisimplay you swipe down from eh other ear to get notifications and the widget page? IF so, that would be a good use of the "ears" (even though it's real the same as hot orders or whatever, the fact it's separated does actually make for a more intuitive separation).

Edit: on more consideration, that would actually mess up the intuitiveness when you hit landscape.

How do I clear a bunch of notifications all the ones now? I can only clear “old ones“ but none of the new ones in a single soup. Do I have to really swipe each individual one now?

How do I clear a bunch of notifications all the ones now? I can only clear “old ones“ but none of the new ones in a single soup. Do I have to really swipe each individual one now?

If you see them, then close Notification Center, they become old ones. Or maybe it’s like 10 minutes or something. But you’re correct, only old ones let you clear in bulk

mokeyjoe

Installed it last night on my 9.7 Pro, seemed fine, only annoyance was choppy animation when bringing up Safari with multiple tabs open. Anyone else getting it? Not a deal breaker, but it looks sloppy. Might just be me though.

Yes. I get exactly the same issue on my 10.5 Pro opening Safari.

Probably some optimisation issue. Weirdly it seems to have improved over time, caching something maybe?

Red

I remember back when the 7 came out, wishing iOS 11 would add a right side 3D Touch app switcher. Fool I was.

No, but there is no more app switcher access with a hard left press or swipe.

I didn't even know that gesture was there, and I have a 7. I've always just double-tapped the home button.

But are you saying that the swipe-up halfway for the app switcher is only available on the iPhone X? Because that seems pretty straightforward.

Red

I didn't even know that gesture was there, and I have a 7. I've always just double-tapped the home button.

But are you saying that the swipe-up halfway for the app switcher is only available on the iPhone X? Because that seems pretty straightforward.
I’m saying the previous fastest way to open the app switcher has been removed. The 3D Touch option was way better, especially for one handed use on the plus. Crazy decision to remove it.

A double tap on the home button activates reachability. Are we talking about the same thing?

hirokazu

So my iPhone updated from 10.3.3 to 11 GM still has Facebook Events in the calendar (though I'm not certain if future events will continue to sync). My iPad which has been on the betas does not.

If future events will continue to sync on iPhone despite Facebook integration supposedly being dropped, I'd ideally like for it to come back on my iPad. :<

Red

The new control panel is way better. I wish driving do not disturb used the accelerometer or GPS, that way I could leave it on. Maybe on the next one.

The new control panel is way better. I wish driving do not disturb used the accelerometer or GPS, that way I could leave it on. Maybe on the next one.

There’s an option to set DND while driving “automatically” where it’ll attempt to detect based on motion

I’m saying the previous fastest way to open the app switcher has been removed. The 3D Touch option was way better, especially for one handed use on the plus. Crazy decision to remove it.

A double tap on the home button activates reachability. Are we talking about the same thing?

Yeah I get that you're frustrated, but I'm also saying that -- at least on the X -- you can do a swipe from the bottom to get the app switcher, which seems as easy, if not more, than the 3D Touch gesture you're talking about.

Sorry, I should have said double click on the home button. Double tap does activate Reachability yes, but double clicking the Home button activates the task switcher. (unless I'm forgetting how 10 worked, I'm on the 11 beta)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
There’s an option to set DND while driving “automatically” where it’ll attempt to detect based on motion
No it’s based on being connected to automobile BT. I leave it on and when it connects to my cars stereo it kicks in.

Yeah I get that you're frustrated, but I'm also saying that -- at least on the X -- you can do a swipe from the bottom to get the app switcher, which seems as easy, if not more, than the 3D Touch gesture you're talking about.
For me, swiping from the bottom, which is so much more important now in iOS 11, is cumbersome. On my 6S plus my thumb is not naturally able to reach from the bottom to swipe up yet I was able to slide from the side naturally. On the iPad, invoking slide over and quickly switching between apps was so much easier since I held the iPad with my right hand most times and my farm never had to move and I never had to move my hand. Now, I do. And, it seems so far that all of these gestures need to be exaggerated a lot far more than what they were previously.

I know these things are probably going to make more sense to people and maybe work better on the new phone, but for me right now, so many things I was at my table to do easier and quicker are gone. Or, changed for the worse. Again, maybe just for me.

Red

Sorry, I should have said double click on the home button. Double tap does activate Reachability yes, but double clicking the Home button activates the task switcher. (unless I'm forgetting how 10 worked, I'm on the 11 beta)
The swipe up from the bottom seems like it would be more difficult an action to perform, however marginally. It is less intuitive than sliding an app over to reveal another, or to open the switcher. Even if it weren’t, why lose the gesture on every other 3D Touch-enabled device? Double pressing the home button is maybe least intuitive of all. Why force that again?

I don’t understand this decision. The 3D Touch switcher was a notable improvement to accessibility and speed.

The 3D Touch switcher improved the multitasking experience on iPhone. It hasn’t even been replaced—it’s just gone! That’s a damn shame.

Top Bottom