• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

Download the Apple Store app on your phone.Go to my account and it'll show upgrade eligibility and you can go from there. Some people on reddit who work at Apple Stores say you can do the whole process online now when upgrading.

i think you can actually do it from general settings

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Lack of 4K hasn't done anything in the market (where there is still next to no 4K commercial streaming content available).. also which will change when apple starts releasing UHD content with this unit.

There's a lot more streaming 4K out there now commercially with Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, etc all serving up a good amount. I'm even seeing more legacy titles in 4K like Spike Lee's artsy "She's Gotta Have it" from 1986. A surprise to see.

The 4K ATV is desperately needed, so I'm glad it's finally here.

Can you do this in the UK too or do I have to go in-store just to see if I’m eligible?

oh i'm not sure, but i don't think you'd have to go in-store just to check. you should be able to do everything online. i'm already part of the upgrade program so that might be why i can see all that stuff.

the only thing i can find for the UK stuff is this link, because i'm pretty useless :<

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_uk/

wut?

This is just silly. Come the fuck on....

The remote needs a little work.

But the current unit itself is WAY more than capable. It has every graphic, audio and game API from iOS, an A8 CPU (which even though a year old at the time, was still the fastest mobile CPU available then), BTL4E, is capable as a home automation hub, and in the past year or so has received a content aggregation system, single sign on for TV providers, unified content search, etc

NOTHING about the hardware or OS came across as rushed. Now software has been super slow to roll out... oh but wait...

the video streaming content that has been slow to roll out are services which either have their own branded hardware, or have exclusivity agreements with other platforms/consoles

games everyone would love to come out (indies on iOS) ALSO frequently have console exclusivity agreements to one platform, or which we already know from developers that Sony, MS and Nintendo all consider Apple TV a "console platform" when it comes to making these exclusivity arrangements.

so yeah... the remote needs some work.. but the hardware even today is near the top as the most powerful retail streamer box (the A8 is still punching its weight in the iPhone 6), and the unit debuting tomorrow is insanely ahead of every other current dedicated streaming box.

services being years behind are because those services are either competitors to apple, or have exclusivity arrangements with other platforms. Though I'd still strongly disagree with "years".. Also the A8 with 1GB RAM is still the most powerful hardware. Lack of 4K hasn't done anything in the market (where there is still next to no 4K commercial streaming content available).. also which will change when apple starts releasing UHD content with this unit.
I think the actual box is fine, but the interface with it is not what I usually expect from Apple. The keyboard is crummy, but so is timeline scrubbing on a video. I remain of the opinion that there’s a future interface for it that Apple hasn’t nailed down yet, and the Remote isn’t it, or at least isn’t the totality of it.

subrock

lmao

This is the one thing I'm worried about when it comes to FaceID.

Day to day it'll probably be better than TouchID but we'll see with Pay.

The apple watch, for example, doesn't make you reauth every time you want to make a purchase. Maybe Face ID is secure enough that simply tapping sleep/wake twice is good enough to enable a purchase

LordOfChaos

I guess all the leaks not mentioning ProMotion mean no ProMotion?

Alas. My 7 has skipped frames all over from out of the box, and with the resolution increase a variable refresh rate display would have helped a lot.

Glad to hear there's an A10X in the Apple TV...I still see potential in it as a microconsole, and that chip is hecken powerful. Hopefully not over 200.

FinKL

The iPhone 7 already has wide-gamut P3 aka HDR screens.

Does that mean HDR videos work? I swear when the Mass Effect Andromeda videos came out on Youtube, I could see more color on my iphone than my computer's monitor and thought it was that

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
There's a lot more streaming 4K out there now commercially with Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, etc all serving up a good amount. I'm even seeing more legacy titles in 4K like Spike Lee's artsy "She's Gotta Have it" from 1986. A surprise to see.

The 4K ATV is desperately needed, so I'm glad it's finally here.

which is why I said it "hasn't" done anything in the market. When it was cried about 2 years ago for not having 4K... it basically came down to original Netflix content and umm... that was it (aside from homemade content).

NOW, yes.. of course the time is perfect for 4K. Vudu is on Apple TV, Amazon is coming, and Netflix has plenty of 4K content.

Agreed the this model had to have 4K. But prior to this year I really don't think the lack of 4K has affected sales much.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What are the tactics to employ? I want to do the IUP but in the UK that is in store only. So I was think8gn to use the Apple app to preorder sim free ASAP just in case, for pick up at the Apple store. Then try to get there for an IUP but if I’m too late I just get the sim free.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
which is why I said it "hasn't" done anything in the market. When it was cried about 2 years ago for not having 4K... it basically came down to original Netflix content and umm... that was it (aside from homemade content).

NOW, yes.. of course the time is perfect for 4K. Vudu is on Apple TV, Amazon is coming, and Netflix has plenty of 4K content.

Agreed the this model had to have 4K. But prior to this year I really don't think the lack of 4K has affected sales much.

Amazon Video and VUDU were also doing it in 2015.
There was a decent amount of content then, would have been worth it.

I think it was more Apple wasn't ready to start streaming 4K.

HDR on a phone device is one of the most useless technology to support (just behind a 4K resolution on a 5-6" display, which is still king of the hill , and a step ahed of a 20+ mpixel phone camera without proper lens and sensor size )

HDR require more cpu-gpu power = more battery drain, it's implemented in very few video ( today), which mainly is 4K movie completely overkill for a display so small for a phone

HDR (and 4K) maybe should be useful for a high performance tablet ( 12" or more) OR in a few year when HDR standard won't be a performance issue

2436×1125

I hope they'll also increase the res on the iPhone 7s, 7s+ models too.

The 6s/7 Plus I don't mind the 1080p, but the regular 6s/7 was just low enough for me to notice whenever I've tried it, and I've kind been wanting to try a smaller phone.

LordOfChaos

I hope they'll also increase the res on the iPhone 7s, 7s+ models too.

The 6s/7 Plus I don't mind the 1080p, but the regular 6s/7 was just low enough for me to notice whenever I've tried it, and I've kind been wanting to try a smaller phone.

Doesn't sound like it's happening.

I have the 7 and I do think 750p is too low on it, the red notification blob I can see jagged edges around, same with the orientation lock icon etc.

The 1080p Plus is much better. There's a limit to where PPI helps, but 326PPI is absolutely not it. People got that in their heads from when Jobs said it and think I'm outright lying when talking about the visible edges right in front of me.

chrizzz09

Don't think that's the same thing. P3 is the color gamut, which tells you the range of colors it can display. HDR video is the dynamic range of the light, which tells you the range of light and shadows it can display.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_video

The iPhone 7 Display can drive the display to a peak brightness of up to 700 nits. That and the wide color gamut display should actually qualify it to be called an HDR screen and be able to drive HDR contect... well under the current HDR standard that is.

What are the tactics to employ? I want to do the IUP but in the UK that is in store only. So I was think8gn to use the Apple app to preorder sim free ASAP just in case, for pick up at the Apple store. Then try to get there for an IUP but if I’m too late I just get the sim free.

In the U.S. at least, the SIM-free models don't get released for a couple months. I assume it's the same in the UK?

LordOfChaos

The iPhone 7 Display can drive the display to a peak brightness of up to 700 nits. That and the wide color gamut display should actually qualify it to be called an HDR screen and be able to drive HDR contect... well under the current HDR standard that is.

Isn't the HDR-10 spec about, well, 10 bit panels, at least for "true" HDR-10 compliant TVs? I think most Apple screens are 8 bit. Only the new iMac is 10 bit by way of dithering.

TVs that aren't that are doing plenty of fudging on what the spec actually is, but that's a different matter.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

With the OLED screen the X should be above spec in that case.
"brightness of 540 nits, along with a black level of a maximum of 0.0005 (1,080,000:1)"

Regarding the bit question above though. I don't know.

Blackhead

Redarse
Everything about the current Apple TV was a rush job.

It does feel like it exists to get the API out there and start developing the OS but the actual hardware isn’t anywhere near the intended end goal and the services side of things is obviously years behind.

Netflix supporting TV.app would be awfully nice but Netflix has no need or desire to do so.

Nah, the hardware was ready for months and there were multiple leaks at the time that the holdup was Apple trying to negotiate a skinny TV bundle (which they failed at—yet another example of Apple being years behind on the services side). Love it or hate it the Siri Remote was Apple's vision for TV not a rush job. Their designers just didnt have good taste.

Dandte

Wait a sec...how will notifications work when everytime i look at my phone it will unlock? Just a moment ago my phone vibrated to show me a chat message which i could open with 3d touch but not enter my phone. Will i have to turn off face unlock to keep this feature?

Vuze

Wait a sec...how will notifications work when everytime i look at my phone it will unlock? Just a moment ago my phone vibrated to show me a chat message which i could open with 3d touch but not enter my phone. Will i have to turn off face unlock to keep this feature?
As with TouchID it will be a two step process: unlock (lay finger on reader/look at phone) -> enter home screen (press home button/slide up or whatever). (Or a single step with the accessibility option though idk if they’ll do that with FaceID for the reason you mentioned)

How does that top cutout even work when you watch a movie, or have a fullscreen app on screen? Does the app/movie cover the entire screen and thus you have part of the image cut off due to the cutout, or is the top area (where the cutout is) only visible in OS and not used at all in apps?

Coworker of mine has the Essential phone. Full screen apps like YouTube ignore that space and make it black. It's ugly IMO.

Essential phone seems, essentially, like a major rush job with no organization. The whole process of ordering it was a mess and doesn't instill any confidence. My friend actually went to cancel his order during the shipping debacle a few weeks back and after waiting hours to talk to someone they essentially told him, "Nope, sorry, you can't cancel your order because your order was just completed this morning." And then right after getting off the phone he got a shipping confirmation, after having not been able to get one for weeks before then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

3_CA4_C351-44_E9-4_DF2-8_DBA-_C5_C89_D0832_E4.jpg

giga

Similar to how Apple Pay will work. It'll unlock but won't take you to your home screen (or authorize your payment) until you press the side button.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The apple watch, for example, doesn't make you reauth every time you want to make a purchase. Maybe Face ID is secure enough that simply tapping sleep/wake twice is good enough to enable a purchase
It's can't be secure enough, becuase then someone can just take the phone off your desk, and pay for something with it, without you ever knowing. Not possible with the watch while you're wearing it - that's why it doesn't ask you to reauth while you're wearing it, but does the moment you take it off and put it back on.

Fuchsdh

Don't think that's the same thing. P3 is the color gamut, which tells you the range of colors it can display. HDR video is the dynamic range of the light, which tells you the range of light and shadows it can display.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_video

If we're talking a specific spec rather than colloquialisms, Apple doesn't have any product that meets HDR requirements*; P-3 isn't Rec 2020 colorspace, which I believe is required for HDR10(+) implementations.
*The MacBook Pros can output 10bpc color but the panels last I checked weren't 10bpc native.

I'd be surprised given how they've rolled out P3 displays (including on the iMac Pro) that we'll be getting any flavored HDR spec on mobile or desktop any time soon. Maybe the Apple TV, since there's no screen involved?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to apps that are not updated for the 8 when it comes out. Will there just be black bars on the top and bottom until they update the app?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to apps that are not updated for the 8 when it comes out. Will there just be black bars on the top and bottom until they update the app?

I’d imagine so. There are apps that haven’t been updated beyond the 5S screen size I think

If we're talking a specific spec rather than colloquialisms, Apple doesn't have any product that meets HDR requirements*; P-3 isn't Rec 2020 colorspace, which I believe is required for HDR10(+) implementations.
*The MacBook Pros can output 10bpc color but the panels last I checked weren't 10bpc native.

I'd be surprised given how they've rolled out P3 displays (including on the iMac Pro) that we'll be getting any flavored HDR spec on mobile or desktop any time soon. Maybe the Apple TV, since there's no screen involved?

HDR10/Dolby Vision does use Rec 2020, but any current display only goes as far as P3, even high end TVs. So the spec only requires that as a minimum. Same as the spec target brightness being way higher than what displays can actually deliver currently, so the requirements are lower.

Doesn't HDR have to do with both the maximum brightness the display can achieve and the max darkness at the same time? Is it even possible without local dimming/OLED?

kaskade

Shit, I forgot about that UI update lag that happens. Thankfully I’d imagine some of the bigger apps will have it day one. It’s always exciting seeing those updates though.

It's strange to see DF having a cow over these leaks, and I'm sitting here feeling like "meh, looks fine."

Like, what is supposed to be the explosive leak that blows up Apple's conference? Most of the substantial stuff was rumored. If Apple thinks animojis were going to set the stage on fire.. they've lost their way.

a916

Ah, we're just about a week removed from that one thread where people were losing their mind assuming Apply Pay was being removed since TouchID was going away... lol.

HDR on a phone device is one of the most useless technology to support (just behind a 4K resolution on a 5-6" display, which is still king of the hill , and a step ahed of a 20+ mpixel phone camera without proper lens and sensor size )

HDR require more cpu-gpu power = more battery drain, it's implemented in very few video ( today), which mainly is 4K movie completely overkill for a display so small for a phone

HDR (and 4K) maybe should be useful for a high performance tablet ( 12" or more) OR in a few year when HDR standard won't be a performance issue

Dumb quesiton, but is it easier to do a small HDR device... or harder? There's less real estate... but it's still a lot of pixels.

Damon

Wouldn't your card get charged before you even get there even if you do a store pickup?

I opted for the non upgrade payment plan last year, if I recall correctly you reserve one online then go in. Although stock levels are gonna be low from rumours so that's gonna be fan :)

Last year I was using live stock checkers and this year it looks to be even worse

Top Bottom