• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

Did anybody else just receive a welcome Spotpass message from Capcom (in relation to SSFIV obv)?

It's the first message I have received that wasn't either a Streetpass notification or an explanation of a 3DS feature.

Said to expect future news, figurines, as well as other stuff. Tease.

beje

Banned
Received mine from Amazon this morning, I've been playing with it for around an hour and it works perfect. No dead pixels or anything, and Ridge Racer is really cool looking.

Milpool

Spotpassed 4 people today walking around Manchester,
one was my girlfriend.

One guy was from Northern Ireland and his greeting was 'whats the craic?', unlocked a Mario hat and some cat ears so far.

Marbles

If you blow up the AR Globe you'll have to re-buy it from the shop.

Planet exploding in 3D was pretty cool and the message that popped up afterwards made me chuckle.
Well worth 1 coin :)

GJS

demonturkey said:
Did anybody else just receive a welcome Spotpass message from Capcom (in relation to SSFIV obv)?

It's the first message I have received that wasn't either a Streetpass notification or an explanation of a 3DS feature.

Said to expect future news, figurines, as well as other stuff. Tease.
Got the same notification earlier when I got home, thought I had managed to streetpass someone whilst I was out but it was just Capcom.

Finally!!!

nP188.jpg

...another angry email going out soon. I want a voucher out of this or something.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
My 3DS stopped charging after about two hours or so, so I've spent about an hour with it. First impressions:

- Thankfully, no headache or eyestrain so far. I was particularly worried because I'm a bit flu-ey at the moment. I took it very easy with the slider, starting very low and nudging it up slowly. Not past the middle-mark.

- The 3D is a bit 'strange' though and takes a little getting used to. I have felt my eyes making strange movements, and strange-feeling focus shifts from time to time - particularly when looking at text, or between the environment in Pilotwings and the pilot himself. It does feel like more is going on with my eyes/head, but we'll see how it goes.

- The screen takes on some - IMO - slightly compromised qualities with 3D turned on. Or maybe it's just me. But it looks different in 3D mode, some aliasing in PW looked...different...some parts of the screen almost looked 'greasy', there's a change in colour.

The analog pad feels fine, nice amount of tension in it. Haven't had much chance to explore much else yet, will sort out my friends code and post it in the relevant thread soon.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Keyser Soze said:
Finally!!!

nP188.jpg

...another angry email going out soon. I want a voucher out of this or something.

congrats! Was it you that said earlier in the thread that you ordered when pre orders were available? or very early on? if so.. def get in contact

MLH

demonturkey said:

Yeah I did, strange thing is that I received it while out and about today; So does the 3DS automatically connect to open wireless networks? (Or maybe it arrived just before I left).

Coincidently , I caught one person over street pass today on street fighter. That's is far more than I ever had on DQ9. Given time, I'm sure many more people will have street pass on.

Thanks to the replies to my question. Yeah, I can't see properly out of one eye so I know the 3D is a no go for me. I had just read a few messages across the net of people saying they felt like the experience felt "flat" (pun intended I guess) when they switched the 3D off.

Think I'll take the plunge as all the extra stuff the machine does has me hyped I have to say.

jarosh

gofreak said:
My 3DS stopped charging after about two hours or so, so I've spent about an hour with it. First impressions:

- Thankfully, no headache or eyestrain so far. I was particularly worried because I'm a bit flu-ey at the moment. I took it very easy with the slider, starting very low and nudging it up slowly. Not past the middle-mark.

- The 3D is a bit 'strange' though and takes a little getting used to. I have felt my eyes making strange movements, and strange-feeling focus shifts from time to time - particularly when looking at text, or between the environment in Pilotwings and the pilot himself. It does feel like more is going on with my eyes/head, but we'll see how it goes.

- The screen takes on some - IMO - slightly compromised qualities with 3D turned on. Or maybe it's just me. But it looks different in 3D mode, some aliasing in PW looked...different...some parts of the screen almost looked 'greasy', there's a change in colour.

The analog pad feels fine, nice amount of tension in it. Haven't had much chance to explore much else yet, will sort out my friends code and post it in the relevant thread soon.
the artifacts and side effects you're experiencing should definitely NOT be there. the 3d doesn't add or need any sort of additional processing. try this: have the 3d turned on and alternate between closing one eye and then the other. while keeping one eye closed, turn the 3d off. you should not be able to notice a difference in image quality when the 3d turns off. brightness, sharpness and color saturation stay the same with 3d off or on. if you can reproduce this, then the "compromised qualities of the screen" you mentioned are probably related to your eyesight or a broken 3ds :p

my eyes aren't perfect and personally i can't really deal with the 3d at anything above ~30% in pilotwings and many other people seem to have similar problems with it as well. definitely not the best game to judge the overall 3d performance of the system. i have the slider at 100% for nintendogs for example and it always looks excellent and never makes me feel dizzy or anything.

my biggest gripe with the 3d is the extremely narrow sweet spot and how i keep losing it playing certain games or in certain situations. when i'm chilling on the couch for example, i'm usually moving around quite a bit and that really messes with the 3d, or when i'm really focused and immersed in the game i'll forget about keeping my hands and the system in the same position, so i'll suddenly start seeing double and then i mess up in the game etc.

i really really really hope they'll come up with an advanced parallax barrier that allows for either a wider sweet spot or multiple sweet spots for the 3ds+ or lite or xl or whatever. although i'm not sure how that would work since the whole thing is based on the distance between our eyes...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jarosh said:
the artifacts and side effects you're experiencing should definitely NOT be there. the 3d doesn't add or need any sort of additional processing. try this: have the 3d turned on and alternate between closing one eye and then the other. while keeping one eye closed, turn the 3d off. you should not be able to notice a difference in image quality when the 3d turns off. brightness, sharpness and color saturation stay the same with 3d off or on. if you can reproduce this, then the "compromised qualities of the screen" you mentioned are probably related to your eyesight or a broken 3ds :p

About the colour, actually yeah, it doesn't change between 2D and 3D. But it is 'off' vs the bottom screen. Like white looks off-white? Almost like I'm looking through a vaguely sepia-ish filter.

Neo Child

Banned
Just wondered off to the pub from work and got 1 Streetpass notification :D Pretty cool like, really wish everyone had a 3DS though. Would be mad sweet.

Had my 3DS since launch day too, walk past Game every day and I work in a busy centre =[

jarosh

gofreak said:
About the colour, actually yeah, it doesn't change between 2D and 3D. But it is 'off' vs the bottom screen. Like white looks off-white? Almost like I'm looking through a vaguely sepia-ish filter.
that's quite possible and definitely annoying. upper and lower screen on older ds models used to differ slightly in color temperature on certain systems. my ds lite was perfect and my dsi xl also has the same temperature on both screens, but my regular dsi definitely has a slight but noticable yellow tint on the upper screen while the lower screen's white is... well, white. this has been reported by other people as well and i've heard of some people successfully exchanging their systems because of it.

Bought Ridge Racer today, its ace. I've been playing the series since the arcade and PS1 original and own every one, and this is a fantastic addition to the series. The only downer is that its 30fps, but its not a deal breaker by any means. Tracks, handling, music and presentation is pure RR though, awesome :)

teeny

I work in a small town, and when I went out for my lunch break I spot passed four people. I also got one guy at the cinema last night. So that's five for a pretty small area (though I wonder if two of them were the demo units in game shops).

I saw a girl using it too, but alas, no green light :(

panda21

guess this has probably been mentioned already but GAME were selling ridge racer, super monkey balls and a few others for £25 when i went in today.

of course being GAME they charged me full price (£40) for Ridge Racer and gave me Combat of Giants Dragons instead of Dragon Quest IX (I'm not even joking), and I didnt notice until I got home.

panda21 said:
guess this has probably been mentioned already but GAME were selling ridge racer, super monkey balls and a few others for £25 when i went in today.

of course being GAME they charged me full price (£40) for Ridge Racer and gave me Combat of Giants Dragons instead of Dragon Quest IX (I'm not even joking), and I didnt notice until I got home.

I went into the oxford st store today and them games were £25 only if purchased with a 3DS.

panda21

kobashi100 said:
I went into the oxford st store today and them games were £25 only if purchased with a 3DS.

thats weird. the shop i went in, all those games were on the shelf labelled with stickers as being on sale for £25, with no mention of buying a 3ds with it. pretty damn misleading. i would of noticed the price difference and asked except they switcherood dragon quest on me and combat of giants costs less, so it worked out the price i was expecting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jarosh said:
that's quite possible and definitely annoying. upper and lower screen on older ds models used to differ slightly in color temperature on certain systems. my ds lite was perfect and my dsi xl also has the same temperature on both screens, but my regular dsi definitely has a slight but noticable yellow tint on the upper screen while the lower screen's white is... well, white. this has been reported by other people as well and i've heard of some people successfully exchanging their systems because of it.

Hmm...think I'll just live with it. Bit of a hassle to send it back to Amazon, and I've had enough of their customer service for a while ;)

Thanks for adding me btw!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The manual doesn't make it clear so I must ask; if you're playing a DS game is Streetpass disabled or not?

spotpass/streetpass is unlikely to function well until more systems get sold. think how many have been sold vs. the totality of the local population. so currently a very low % of people even have a 3DS.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
MrBelmontvedere said:
spotpass/streetpass is unlikely to function well until more systems get sold. think how many have been sold vs. the totality of the local population. so currently a very low % of people even have a 3DS.
I've met one person so far.
However that lucky person had almost 50 Miis in their plaza already!

Might have to take a stroll into my old uni one day.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Milpool said:
Spotpassed 4 people today walking around Manchester,
one was my girlfriend.

One guy was from Northern Ireland and his greeting was 'whats the craic?', unlocked a Mario hat and some cat ears so far.

what kinda areas? I picked up none on my route to work, gonna have to branch out.

Jubbly

BGBW said:
The manual doesn't make it clear so I must ask; if you're playing a DS game is Streetpass disabled or not?

Yes it is disabled, I saw a mention of that in the system menus when popping in Dragon Quest IX.

Milpool

kaizoku said:
what kinda areas? I picked up none on my route to work, gonna have to branch out.

I think most were found in piccadilly square near the fountains, there was an insane amount of people around there today.

Rich!

Just looked through the instruction manual for the first time. The presentation of it is pretty awesome. Full colour, loads of great clear images and descriptions...makes some manuals I've seen recently look pathetic in comparison.

but hey I never read them anyway

dc89

richisawesome said:
It's awesome. Nice and sturdy, with a decent 'click' to it.

I don't know if I have gadget OCD or what but my d pad is slightly loose in fitting to the console. It wobbles a little bit.

Also has anyone else finding the hinge is a little loose. When I open the screen and set it back (not to the stage where it clicks to that 180 posistion, just before that) it seems a little loose. If I move the cosole a little bit it wobbles.

Anyone else?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
the streetpass rpg thing seems very cool! very simple and a really nice bonus feature which is kinda nothing when you boil it down but adds a nice touch of personality to the system.

Just a shame if you never bump into others. Really hope this can catch on.

I have a voucher to get a 3DS game for £10. I already own Pilotwings and Ghost Recon and I'm not interested in fighting games so SF is out.

I have to use it by Friday!

What should I get? I'm leaning towards Nintendogs or Rayman. Anyone have experience with either of them wanna share? Open to suggestions for other launch titles.

Sipowicz

Banned
richisawesome said:
It's awesome. Nice and sturdy, with a decent 'click' to it.

is it like the one on the normal ds or the snes?

a few other things i've read that id like confirmed if possible

i read somewhere you can use the analogue stick on ds games, does it give you proper analogue controls?

i also read there's an online pictochat, is that true?

thants

Sipowicz said:
is the dpad good?

or is it crap like the ds lite?

It's not like the DS Lite's, it's a lot like the DSi's.

Sipowicz said:

i read somewhere you can use the analogue stick on ds games, does it give you proper analogue controls?

thants

- Neither.
- No.
- No.

Rich!

Sipowicz said:

thants

It's like the one on the DSi. If you haven't used that then I'd say it's like the DS Phat, but with the same form factor as the Wii Remote D-Pad (but smaller).

Slide pad works on DS games, but it's strictly the 8 way directions mapped to it. No real analogue control.

Pictochat isn't on the 3DS.

Sipowicz

Banned
richisawesome said:
It's like the one on the DSi. If you haven't used that then I'd say it's like the DS Phat, but with the same form factor as the Wii Remote D-Pad (but smaller).

Slide pad works on DS games, but it's strictly the 8 way directions mapped to it. No real analogue control.

Pictochat isn't on the 3DS.

how do you chat with people on your friends list? is it like xbox where you can send text/voice messages?

kaizoku said:
I have a voucher to get a 3DS game for £10. I already own Pilotwings and Ghost Recon and I'm not interested in fighting games so SF is out.

I have to use it by Friday!

What should I get? I'm leaning towards Nintendogs or Rayman. Anyone have experience with either of them wanna share? Open to suggestions for other launch titles.

Ridge Racer. Unfortunately it seems the internet at large heard there were longer load times than there probably should have been and immediately shunned the game, but assuming you enjoy Ridge Racer and/or arcade racing games, you can't go wrong. Loads to do and unlock.

MNC

dc89 said:
That's coming in the update which is scheduled for May.
afaik nothing's been confirmed and it's listed as 'would be nice to have' by nintendo

edit: *shakes fist* damn you afro!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
gofreak said:

it seems similar to when I use 3D on a TV - I think its a by product of the 'black' LCD screen becoming essentially transparant. you get a grey, greasy appearance to it. After a while your brain tunes it out. It is odd though.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Didn't know where it was best to put this, but more people should know.
Android users hit 3ds into the market search and there's already an apply to display any of the AR cards in the screen, and it works! I used it to show AR games to a coursemate in Unit when the cards were at home.

Also if I go to Gamestation by the end of the day I can have ridge racer for £18, so tempted...

Top Bottom