• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

nofi

Cindres said:
Didn't know where it was best to put this, but more people should know.
Android users hit 3ds into the market search and there's already an apply to display any of the AR cards in the screen, and it works! I used it to show AR games to a coursemate in Unit when the cards were at home.

Also if I go to Gamestation by the end of the day I can have ridge racer for £18, so tempted...

Do it, Ridge Racer is great.

Maffis

Bullshit. Me and my brother both pre-ordered 3ds'es from Amazon. He got his today while mine still hasn't arrived. They were dispatched pratcically the same time. Weird thing is, I have got my case and my screen protectors, even though they were dispatched 3 days after the 3ds. The hell is wrong with amazon?

grumpy

Obligatory (yet completely pointless/nonsensical) iPhone size comparison

Game case size comparison
DQIX (EU), SFIV (EU), 999 (US)

A few more pictures here

My very short review:
Classy looking system. Pictures don't do it any justice.
It is not a repeat of the "Quasimodo-esque" first gen design like with the original GBA and DS.
Weighs just a tiny bit more than the DSlite, but it only adds to the feeling of excellent build quality.
The 3D effect took me about 5 minutes to get used to. For every game I had to slightly adjust the 3D slider to find the sweet spot. It's not a "one-size-fits-all" situation. After nearly two hours of SFIV, I had some minor eye strain, but no major headaches or blood coming out of my nose, or (insert horror story being circulated around the web).

There aren't any games out that push its graphical capabilities, so I'll refrain from making comparisons to any of the systems available. Still, I'll just say that I'm pleased with wht I've seen on Street Fighter and nintendogs. I definitely can't wait for quality developers to fully take advantage of the new graphics processor.

MNC

Am I the only one missing a true link to your Nintendo club account or something? I feel like we could do with much more if the online account could be linked to your friend code - just for safekeeping online :/

Rich!

Just trying out Rabbids 3D.

Looks nice - makes me really want a DKC or Wario Land on the 3DS - but my god, it's boring.

Majine

Banned
I failed to connect to Wi-fi at a friends house, but it works fine at my home. Is there some kind of Wifi the 3DS is unable to connect to? I'm not good with this.

dc89

Eurogamer has uncovered evidence that staff at GAME were told to buy Nintendo 3DS consoles and games from supermarket rival Tesco on launch night to sell them in-store as pre-owned.

An internal document, below, reveals that staff were encouraged to make use of Tesco's eye-catching launch bundle offer for the 3DS on Thursday night.
Tesco sold the console for just £175 when bought with any 3DS game for £34.90.
"Whilst we are unable to competitively match this offer in terms of a mint price," reads the document, "it offers a great opportunity to gain 3DS consoles and games for your store's pre-owned stock."

The idea was to use cash from GAME tills to buy a 3DS and game for £209.90 – Tesco's bundle price, and trade it in to GAME for cash at the same price.
£1049.50 was authorised for removal per trip to Tesco – which equates to five bundles. "Your store can do this trip multiple times," reads the document.
The 3DS hardware would then be sold at "the same price as mint due to expected supply shortage".

Game's in-store Nintendo 3DS price is £219.99. Second hand 3DS units are sold between £5 and £10 cheaper.
It is important to note, however, that the document insisted the pre-owned stock only be sold once mint stock runs dry, and staff not "up-sell" it to customers.
While the document advises that buying stock from Tesco is a non-mandatory "mission", one GAME staff member told Eurogamer the store he works at was reprimanded for not taking part.

"I think it is interesting to note that the market leader in the UK needs to be doing such behaviour," said our source.

A GAME spokesperson told Eurogamer: "Some of our stores wanted to move quickly last weekend to build their pre-owned stocks of 3DS at the same time as their local competitors, so we gave them a process to do that.
"It was not mandatory, and happened in small volumes."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-29-game-staff-told-to-buy-3ds-from-tesco

Oh dear. Not that they are doing anything wrong legally but it does stink that they are potentially denying customers buying a 3DS at Tesco for them to go to Game and have to pay more.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Majine said:
I failed to connect to Wi-fi at a friends house, but it works fine at my home. Is there some kind of Wifi the 3DS is unable to connect to? I'm not good with this.
Handles wpa2 ok, but isn't 'n' compatible

mrklaw

MrArseFace

dc89

mrklaw said:
Better or worse than indies buying supermarket stock and selling it as new?

(their argument being that telco retail price is cheaper than their wholesale price)

I imagine that happens too but it stinks a bit.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Just got it yaaaay!

Now waiting for it to charge :( How long does it take?

Is it really that important to fully charge the first time? Can I just play with it hooked to the adapter?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bytesized said:
Just got it yaaaay!

Now waiting for it to charge :( How long does it take?

Is it really that important to fully charge the first time? Can I just play with it hooked to the adapter?
Just play it. No conditioning needed. Mine came with a decent charge already in it

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mine took a couple of hours to charge out of the box.

The Mii Street Plaza RPG thing is pretty neat. Shame your Mii won't wear won caps etc. outside of that though (?)

So I'm really tempted to pick one of these up tomorrow. Any left handers have issues with the 3DS? I had no issues withthe DS but just want to check.

Also, it's probably gonna depend on me trading in a ps3...which I hardly play - but is it worth it this early?

bitoriginal

Cindres said:
Didn't know where it was best to put this, but more people should know.
Android users hit 3ds into the market search and there's already an apply to display any of the AR cards in the screen, and it works! I used it to show AR games to a coursemate in Unit when the cards were at home.

Excellent call. I was just getting fed up with the cards as they are a little cumbersome, and now I can just leave them in the box. Smartphone to the rescue!

Sometimes I see ads where it says people from trade can't buy the offers. If the supermarkets really cared they could add that clause and given it sounds like GAME wanted staff to do this during work hours (of course, don't expect mileage paid back...) trhem being in uniform would be likely.

As for Tesco...its a good thing the Tomato glitch didn't come back else GAME would be able to feed their staff as well as their revenue (the Tomato glitch was last May on cartons of chopped tomatoes they set it as buy 1 get 3 instead of 3 for £1 so 3 59p packs deducted £1.18...).

grumpy said:
Apologies if this has been posted before, but you can control the 3DS music player (even with the lid closed) using Apple's headphones! 2 & 3 clicks also work for rewind & fast forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McrsYA9EWE0

The 3D visualizers are a stoner's best friend, by the way :lol
I thought this was debunked some time ago? I only have the ipod headphones with the mic and volume control so can't try this. I did try my Nokia headsets but they didn't work that way.

grumpy

Phife Dawg said:
I thought this was debunked some time ago? I only have the ipod headphones with the mic and volume control so can't try this. I did try my Nokia headsets but they didn't work that way.

It most definitely works on my system, euro 3ds with stock iPhone 3G headphones.
1 click for pause/resume, 2 clicks for rewind, 3 clicks for ff. What doesn't work is the 2-3 click & hold to speed through a song.

Shiggy

So Rabbids 3D is not going to be playable on the original DS (in spite of being originally a DS title if I'm not entirely wrong). That old packshot either was a fake or an internal mock-up.
http://www.go nintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=150977

For being a fake, it's just way too similar (or was the upper part released of the cover released beforehand?).

r3ds_rabbids3d.jpg

grumpy said:
It most definitely works on my system, euro 3ds with stock iPhone 3G headphones.
1 click for pause/resume, 2 clicks for rewind, 3 clicks for ff. What doesn't work is the 2-3 click & hold to speed through a song.

I just tested this with my HTC Desire headphones - the play / pause / phonecall button works as a one click remote control.

So as well as a pimp visualiser it supports some kind of standard for headphone controls when in MP3 playing mode?

<3

(other than the terrible headphone placement if using your 3DS as an MP3 player obviously)

meppi

Shoogoo said:
14000 steps this weekend alone, in a huge ass touristic city of Belgium. Streetpass count still at 0
Not surprising, Belgium is a real shithole when it comes to gaming.

For instance, last time I checked only 42 copies of Sin And Punishment 2 sold here and had any online rankings. :-/
Found out quite a few of those facts over the years.

Seems like all they play in this crappy thing they want to make us think is a country, is bro-games. yuk.

Only reason there are so many Wii's and DSes out there over here is due to piracy.
Every single person who I've met and have talked about games with, besides my closest friends, always recommend me to mod my Wii or buy an R4.
When I tell them I don't care for those and actually buy my games, they look at me like I'm a retard and don't know what to say anymore.
Buch of morons. :mad:

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Gravijah said:
Hey Jocchan, stop taking so many pictures. 74? Jeez. :p
Haha, I just renamed some folders to more intellegible names, hoping they still worked, and changed them back when they didn't :(
I guess they counted as new pics, even though they were already there.

Still no 3DS from Amazon, no reply to my last customer service email (which was me politely telling them they were crap), and I am left with an urge to paddle someone.

woodsey1982 said:
So I'm really tempted to pick one of these up tomorrow. Any left handers have issues with the 3DS? I had no issues withthe DS but just want to check.

Also, it's probably gonna depend on me trading in a ps3...which I hardly play - but is it worth it this early?

Left handed here. Used it for about 8 hours since Friday and haven't had any issues.
Good games are rare though.

Vitani

Does anyone know the best/cheapest physical place to buy one in the UK? Or do the prices change that often that I'm just going to have to trawl around all the shops & supermarkets?

Zomba13

So... With the fishing game, what do you do when Likatu shows up? I've tried hitting him with the rod like you do with the UFOs and nothing happens, he just fishes up a blooper and flies off.

I chose ASDA. £215 with ANY game. I went with Pilotwings.

The actual deal is £199.99 for the machine, and any game is £15 I think. I would of gone with Tesco, but the only one near me that sells games is a 30 minute drive, so the fuel cost of getting there isn't worth it.

I got the "Officially licensed Executive" case today, its really nice. Lovely soft interior and is a firm fit. Very nice. Only downer is that it only holds two games (plus the one in the system of course).

so 3DS boxes are american case style but in white plastic? not too bad, i'm so use to the EU boxes though and their semi transparent look, solid plastic isn't so cool.

Celine

Keyser Soze said:
Still no 3DS from Amazon, no reply to my last customer service email (which was me politely telling them they were crap), and I am left with an urge to paddle someone.
Well you can "paddle" someone online with SSF43DE...
Oh wait.

Really strange that's taking so long for you.

nofi

Shiggy said:
So Rabbids 3D is not going to be playable on the original DS (in spite of being originally a DS title if I'm not entirely wrong). That old packshot either was a fake or an internal mock-up.

I got Rabbits 3D to review, it definitely doesn't even FIT in a DS... =)

Vitani

ASDA (or at least mine) are no longer doing the 3DS+game for £215 deal. It's now £197 and two game for £60 (games are £33 alone).

Tesco's by far the cheapest at £209 with a game (none in stock though, bah)

Sainbury's was £198 (£35 for a game)
Morrisons was £187 (none in stock)
Toys R Us was £220 fixed bundle (same as on their website)

I settled on PC World as for £222 I got the game I wanted, plus they were in stock and reserve on-line-able.

Roll on lunch break! ...

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Shoogoo said:
14000 steps this weekend alone, in a huge ass touristic city of Belgium. Streetpass count still at 0

I live in a huge ass touristic city in Belgium and got two hits this weekend. It ain't that bad.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Random notes/thoughts on just the hardware/system side of things:

- I've been suckered into the pedometer/play-coin thing...for now :) Surprised how little walking nets you your daily max of play coins. Haven't pinged anyone on Streetpass yet, though.

- Playing NSMB with the analog slider makes me wonder if it shouldn't have had a more textured finish. The other 3DS games I've played haven't produced 'sweaty palms' but NSMB does, and I found my thumb slipping from it quite a lot. Worry a bit for more intensive games in the future.

- I think a 3DS XL revision would be welcome. I find myself frequently thinking that the 3D would be better on a bigger screen.

- Super-underwhelmed by the AR so far. I was trying to show someone it and was embarrassed by how fragile it was. Framerate was horrendous too, and was disappointed that it has to 'refocus' on the card every time it loses sight of it, even if only momentarily - it doesn't use the motion sensors to keep track of things even without sight of the card. Maybe the lighting conditions were non-ideal also, need to do some more investigating.

- Very happy the activity log only reports actually active time in a game vs time when the game is suspended - was worried that would mess up my log.

gofreak said:
- Playing NSMB with the analog slider makes me wonder if it shouldn't have had a more textured finish. The other 3DS games I've played haven't produced 'sweaty palms' but NSMB does, and I found my thumb slipping from it quite a lot. Worry a bit for more intensive games in the future.

Maybe you can rough up the circle pad with sandpaper or something? :p

Top Bottom