• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

Bizzyb

Banned
VOOK said:
Further proof I am a crazy mother fucker;

nO2U2.jpg

GD, You one crazy mofo!

GJS

McNum said:
Quick 3D question. For those of you who can see the 3D consistently on the 3DS, I'm curious about something. When you have a DS game inserted and the spinning DS card is on the Home Menu, is the card supposed to look like it's hovering just outside the screen, or deeper inside?

I'm asking because I think I'm beginning to be able to see the 3D effect now. Barely. At least the 3D images have stopped ghosting. But I'd like to know if I'm seeing things or, well... seeing things. One thing is for sure, my left eye hurts a bit now, so something happened that didn't happen before today.
Nothing comes out of the screen like in cinema 3D, the 3DS adds depth so it looks like the background is further back and that objects are in between the screen and the background, although at times if you shift your focus it may seem like something is coming out of the screen.

So the card should look like it is floating inside a little world or snow globe if you want to think of it like that.

McNum

GJS said:
Nothing comes out of the screen like in cinema 3D, the 3DS adds depth so it looks like the background is further back and that objects are in between the screen and the background, although at times if you shift your focus it may seem like something is coming out of the screen.

So the card should look like it is floating inside a little world or snow globe if you want to think of it like that.
Ah, then I wasn't really seeing the 3D effect as intended. I had the card spinning with the screen itself as its axis. Meaning the back part was "inside" and the front part was "outside". Then again, this was with the 3D slider set to pretty much the lowest it can go before becoming 2D. I'd assume that the higher it is set, the "deeper" the screen gets?

Almyn

Just had my first error screen, While loading up the activity log. I hope it was a one off and not a sign of problems to come.

GJS said:

This is incorrect. "Pop in" and "pop out" are just as possible on 3DS as anywhere else.

3D is nothing more than two images being seen by different eyes. If parts of the image are in the same place in both pictures, they'll appear to be level with the screen. If parts of the image are moved away from each other in one direction, they'll appear to pop out, and if they're moved in the other direction they'll appear to pop in.

Cross eye example:

AcKIU.png

Lots of things on the 3DS pop out already. I don't have a DS game to test but I wouldn't be surprised if it pops out of the screen. My completed Mario/Luigi/Bowser puzzle definitely pops out, and I think the icons for the Activity Log and Download Play pop out as well.

The first things I saw pop out on 3DS were the pencils on the activity log. That was the first "woah" moment with the machine for me.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Android18a said:
The first things I saw pop out on 3DS were the pencils on the activity log. That was the first "woah" moment with the machine for me.
Came here to post exactly this. Could sit in the menu and watch those pencils rotate all day. :p

GJS

Android18a said:
Just looks like they get closer to the screen for me.

jarosh

GJS said:

yeah this is false. the 3ds can very much do pop out. example: the menus and ui messages in face raiders and the speech bubbles during the wifi setup and other system settings.

it's not being used a lot at the moment because with 3d games (the polygonal kind) the view constantly changes, so this would destroy the illusion frequently: whenever objects that pop out move past the border of the screen, yet disappear "behind" it. unless there's a very controlled camera (example: cutscenes) or the game has a non-interactive camera that adjusts so that whatever objects pop out never touch the border of the viewing area, i can't see it being used a lot.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So is Steel Diver coming out in UK? I vaguely remember someone claiming a date but Amazon, Play and Game are all TBA and have placeholder art

I have wanted that game since I played it in 2004.

McNum

I've been playing around with it a bit more now, and I'm pretty sure that I can see the 3D effect now. I couldn't a week ago. And if I do so for more than 5-10 minutes at a time, I get eye strain and motion sickness. Yet, it's the first consumer level 3D I've had work for me, so that's really awesome. At least there's a difference when I close one of my eyes, the screen seems "flatter". I don't know how to explain it, don't have the right words.

I guess the reason it works now and not before is that the 3D effect has given my eyes something new to adjust to. I haven't needed my depth perception in years since I could adapt pretty easily. But the 3DS forces the eyes to give it a try. It's kind of the same feeling I get when I need new glasses. The "Visual Input Error!" feeling in my brain.

I wonder, if I use the 3DS a little every day in 3D mode, could I "fix" my depth perception? Give the eyes a 3D workout, so to speak. I'd love to get the ability to see 3D without straining my eyes.

thechemist said:
Any recommended screen protectors for the 3DS? Thanks.
I have the Hori one and it's great for the touchscreen but I couldn't manage to fit it on the top screen without something getting in the way so I gave up (only wanted it for possible non-glare anyway).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Had my first encounter with a 3ds in the wild today. I had my reservations about how well I'd be able to see the effect, with my astigmatism and corresponding glasses (and habitual headaches from imax 3d). Turns out the effect works just fabulously. The unit's battery was at its last volts, so I spent the last couple of minutes playing with the depth slider. Autostereoscopy really works ™.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Switching to overhead view with the rocket belt on Pilotwings (right shoulder button) makes his head pop out of the screen as well.

Milpool

Boken said:
What annoying lines do you mean?

The embossed section around the touch screen can leave marks on the top screen when you close the system, especially if any sort of pressure is applied like in a bag or pocket.

taku

Okay so ever since I got my 3DS, I've been annoyed with a clicking sound coming from the slide pad whenever I use it (which is basically never). And I haven't been able to try out my 3DS much anyway so I kind of forgot about it being clicky until now.

I decided to have a look see and lo and behold, the black plastic shield underneath the slide pad has a crack in it!

I could probably return this and get a new 3DS but does anyone know how much information I will be able to save/transfer to my new 3DS? Normal game saves are probably no problem but what about games like Mii Plaza and all my StreetPass information?

KAL2006

Banned
I went to the store the other day and checked out the 3DS in person, and I gotta say I am loving the 3D effect in games, the game I played was Pilotwings. However I will wait around 1-2 years as I have far too many games to play as it is, and I don't think £200 is worth it for a 3DS. Also things like battery life, only 1 analog, and bad online intergration and boring launch line up have put me off. However I am definitely interested in 3DS and will pick it up when a revision is out or when it is cheaper with a bigger library of decent games, by then I should be bale to pick up those decent games for cheap.

One huge problem I have with 3DS is the game prices. I don't think £30 for Pilotwings and Steel Driver is worth it when I could get most big HD games for consoles for around £35. However I would buy games like OoT, Mario Kart 3DS, new 3D Mario platformer and etc for £35.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU impulse purchases! I promised myself I wouldn't buy a 3DS at launch, but I'm weak - picked up a black 3DS + Ridge Racer + Pilotwings from eBay for £230 :(

Rekubot

taku said:
Okay so ever since I got my 3DS, I've been annoyed with a clicking sound coming from the slide pad whenever I use it (which is basically never). And I haven't been able to try out my 3DS much anyway so I kind of forgot about it being clicky until now.

I decided to have a look see and lo and behold, the black plastic shield underneath the slide pad has a crack in it!

I could probably return this and get a new 3DS but does anyone know how much information I will be able to save/transfer to my new 3DS? Normal game saves are probably no problem but what about games like Mii Plaza and all my StreetPass information?
My friend has his replaced for the loose screen hinge. Nothing can be transferred. No game saves, no friend codes, no Miis.

There's a System Transfer option in the settings menu, but it's to be implemented in a later update. So perhaps you may want to wait.

bitoriginal

i'm finding most high street stores sell the games for £40, which is way too much as far i'm concerned. I really want pilot wings but theres no way i'm spending £40 on it.

Disguises

taku said:
That's not a crack, it's meant to be there. No idea why, but every 3DS I've tried also has that little line.

Edit: Mine clicks a little bit too, but nothing to annoy me. I find that using less force helps.

Boken

Banned
Bootaaay said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU impulse purchases! I promised myself I wouldn't buy a 3DS at launch, but I'm weak - picked up a black 3DS + Ridge Racer + Pilotwings from eBay for £230 :(
Once you experience 3D gaming you'll pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

KAL2006

Banned
So I have heard the 3DS is not region free, but is it up to the developers like it is on 360, or is it absolutely not region free at all. The reason I am asking this is because Europe does not get many decent games that US get, such as Radiant Historia, Lufia, Shin Megami Tensei, Monster Tale, Trauma Centre 2 and etc.

Rich!

taku said:

That's normal - it's how it's put together. My 3DS has it, as does my two 3DS owning mates' consoles, and also the units at my work.

Took my baby to the park today. Impossible to play outside, can't see shit :(

Also the pedometer can be easily tricked when riding a bike. And wtf @ the word pedometer!

Going out with my 3DS for the first time right now... will be driving (most likely slowly through town center) and walking (will probably go into a Gamestop) with Street Pass on.

I want at least one connection!!!!

taku

Disguises said:
That's not a crack, it's meant to be there. No idea why, but every 3DS I've tried also has that little line.

Edit: Mine clicks a little bit too, but nothing to annoy me. I find that using less force helps.
richisawesome said:
That's normal - it's how it's put together. My 3DS has it, as does my two 3DS owning mates' consoles, and also the units at my work.

Whoa whoa whoa.. Seriously? Phew, if it's supposed to be like that, I guess I'm fine with it XD

Thanks peeps!

mr_toa

Some €100 all told I guess - all on PSP games;

Locoroco 1&2, Ghost of Sparta, Star Ocean First Departure, Lumines II, Gunpey and Valkyria Chronicles II.

bitoriginal said:
i'm finding most high street stores sell the games for £40, which is way too much as far i'm concerned. I really want pilot wings but theres no way i'm spending £40 on it.
Order online? They are around 30 with free delivery (Zavvi/Hut group).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
M.I.S. said:
Just how widespread is this?

Tabloid claims "thousands" of 3DS returns. Also they "had a high return of the 3DS, more than any launch product."

Just the usual tabloid fodder?

3DS dizziness claims hit The Sun

Usual tabloid stuff but with the nature of 3D there were always going to be disgruntled customers who can't enjoy the effect due to vision defects.

SmokyDave

I'm trying to resist picking one of these up. I have no use for a 3DS and the idea of paying £35-£40 for handheld games seems ridiculous to me in a post App-Store world and yet I can't shake the niggling desire to buy one. Thank goodness that Cave haven't released a 3D shmup.

Top Bottom