• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonkid

Was expecting a lot worse from Travis on the Grateful tracks. At least on Don't Quit and On Everything he gives the right energy. I'd like to hear him rap again but *shrug*

Koozek

That's a shame.

Metro's last album was great (Gucci Mane, 'Droptopwop').
Yeah, still my jam!

I'M JUST SLIDIN' DOWN THE 'CREST ON A HOT SUMMER DAY
ALL THESE DIAMONDS ON IT GOT ME FEELIN' SOME TYPE OF WAY

41f2CG9.gif

DROP THE TOP ON THESE HATERS CUZ THE TOP IN THE WAY
AND IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN' NO MONEY THEN YOU JUST IN THE WAY

41f2CG9.gif

Vince got the hot takes flowing in this thread like they haven't in a while.

I like the album ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Valid argument that the verses aren't as potent as Summertime 06, but it feels like there are less words on the album period, and not just due to the shorter length. A conscious decision to go for a concentrated burst of energy with a focus on the music instead of an hour of wordiness, and I don't know if that's motivated by wanting more festival energy or what, but I vibe with it. What I disagree completely with is that Vince somehow sounds at odds with the production or struggles to find his space. He finds the same pockets he always has when he wants to, but this time the rhythm is a lot more important, so he's not as detailed and longform. It's not as great as Summertime 06, but I don't think it's a dud.

Pretty much man. I don't like it as much as summertime. But man the sound he went for here is pretty damn good

I get a nice 90s electro vibe here. Half this album could have been in transpotting tbh

There's less room for his rhymes and statements, but he flows well on it. And even the Kendrick feature is good too

This accomplished the electronic/rap hybrid much better than Danny Brown's side b of old too. Also the production and short length ensures I'm gonna replay this quite a bit

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I like the new Vince Staples album, but I was just listening to the beats and could care less about the lyrics tbh. It sounds really amazing and easily became one of my favorite albums this year...maybe I should listen to Summertime 06'.

Alpende

I like the new Vince Staples album, but I was just listening to the beats and could care less about the lyrics tbh. It sounds really amazing and easily became one of my favorite albums this year...maybe I should listen to Summertime 06'.

Yes. Listen to Summertime 06. It's great.

HiiiLife

Andre went a different direction creatively than Big Boi (both in sound and the content of lyrics) then seemed to lose his thirst for making music in general, particularly rapping. He's done quite a bit of acting, fashion shit and the like in the mean time.

But he's done quite a few features the last 2-3 years and they are allegedly making another rap album. It''ll be interesting to see what they do; Big boi is still on that smoke weed / pimp shit vibe he's always been on and Andre started moving away from that really after their first album.

It's kinda hard to listen to old Outkast for me; Andre's angry slut shaming on ATLiens sort of ruins the album for me.

Keep your heart 3 stacks

riotous

Banned
I'm really happy that's not the case for me.

Might as well avoid slasher flicks and video games over the violence.

I don't avoid it; in fact I was just listening to my ATLiens vinyl the other day hence why I was reminded of the lyrics.

I don't know how good your analogy is though; maybe Triple Six compares to slasher flicks (although Crunchy Blacc was pretty real lol). Andre is a preachy dude; so when he's preaching nearly every track about girls having too much sex it's just outdated to me. It's not about a purity test for me or anything, he just sounds like a simp.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yes. Listen to Summertime 06. It's great.
I'll do it during my workout today 😄
I WAS UP LATE NIGHT BALLIN

raXNKt.gif

COUNTIN UP HUNNIDS BY THE THOUSAND

serena-williams-crip-uxuhs.gif
I love saying this line, it's so dope.
hope he sells at least more than 13k 1st week this time lol
Does anybody buy rap albums anymore unless they are over 40? Everyone just streams on Apple Music and Spotify...he probably shouldn't have done it on the same day DJ "Another One" "We The Best Music" Khaled though

I don't avoid it; in fact I was just listening to my ATLiens vinyl the other day hence why I was reminded of the lyrics.

I don't know how good your analogy is though; maybe Triple Six compares to slasher flicks (although Crunchy Blacc was pretty real lol). Andre is a preachy dude; so when he's preaching nearly every track about girls having too much sex it's just outdated to me. It's not about a purity test for me or anything, he just sounds like a simp.
Yeah the analogy is probably poor.

Outdated, absolutely yeah some of it is.

I mean, your opinion of course. It'll be interesting to see what happens in say 10 years or so with the inevitable social changes going on.

All the rampant sexism and honophobia in hip hop, will it affect peoples ability to go to the older stuff?

Mr. X

Was at Webster Hall last night for an Azizi Gibson show. Really dope dude, positive vibes and energy. If you haven't yet, definitely check out Memoirs of the Reaper.

thabiz

Whenever I've read Big Fish Theory is dope, it's always followed by the beats are dope.

qPTyi8j.png

Are you implying that albums can't be enjoyed regardless of there shortcomings?

Like I'm actually going to have to discuss this in a thread that loves thugger.

Dereck

Are you implying that albums can't be enjoyed regardless of there shortcomings?

Like I'm actually going to have to discuss this in a thread that loves thugger.
I'm more bitter that I actually can't share the enthusiasm of the people who like the album.

BkXMAgL.png

Catvoca

Banned
We crabs in a bucket / He called me a crab so I shot him in front of the Douglas

That was such a dope line on Summertime, feels kinda shitty that he just reused it to worse effect on the intro to BFT.

riotous

Banned
ATLiens is hard to listen to? Might as well jusy say illmatic is hard to listen to then.

Some of the lyrics are. Yall can gasp at me all you want ive probably listened to the album more than the rest of you combined with my dusty ass. Seen it performed live as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HEY, NICE TO MEET (HEEEEEEEY)
I'M YOUNG JEFE, WHO YOU BE? (YOUNG HEFEEEE)
GOT MY PIECE, IN SOUTHEAST
I'M ABOUT TO CLAP IT TO THIS BEAT

tumblr_nt1jcuB5q81r4i232o1_500.gif

Speaking of memorable lines and flows, I'm On 3.0 is just people floating over the beat back-to-back. Correction to my previous statement: Everyone came with it except Curren$y. I don't even think Curren$y stans can say his verse doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. Dave East, Tee Grizzley, or Ross got the best verse IMO.

Automatic still give 'em the same kick
Started the sideline, now I'm starrin' in game 6
Spit and make 'em replay it like they're stuck on the same disc

I'm self-made, wasn't made for the military
Get paid, dodge jail and the cemetery

Fill a Backwood with three nicks
V6, cut the coke, remix
Squeeze clips if ever we hear that he snitched
I'm allergic to broke n***as in the precinct
Found out my man was hatin' and we ain't speak since
Barney's, Nord's can't add up the paper we spent
Tryna get drunk, I'm tokin', I got a P bent
I touched a million, ain't sleep since, on defense

Freedom got me feelin' like I flown up
Out of prison, I ain't think that I was blowin' up
Bunch of young rich n***as home, Rollies up
Run up on us, watch how quick I'll lift the toaster up

Triple OG, Never without vision or-
Livin' goal-free, never writ it though

<Curren$y redacted>

Off the east side, Trae called me up and said
"Unc I'ma need you on the b-side"

Get an M and get low, that's the Dre I'm on
Get a B in blue, that's the Jay I'm on
They on sidelines watchin' what play I'm on

Chasin' paper, starin' out the casket
Was a Stunna 'til they froze all the assets

They thought I was done, but really I ain't even stress it
Just look at all the dough I got invested
Two years and two billion dollar exits
And now your relevance ain't lookin' that impressive (it ain't)
So glad we ain't gotta chase relevance

And I don't think he really needs any coachin'
The weather's gettin' hot, Eazy Season approachin'
Came up and everybody sees the devotion
I put the work in, I cause a commotion

Raised knee-deep in the dope game
If I had two guns up then they was both aimed

I'm an old ass youngsta, bruh, I'm a vet
Sick Wid It Records, sellin' cassettes before the internet

tumblr_o7i72a0S4D1t0bo4to1_500.gif

More chune pon your head top
Watch how you speak on my name, you know?
- DJ Khaled

tumblr_omw09vhzRX1w646c4o1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom