• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening [3DS] coming to Europe in 2012

Died? Was it damaged or something?

So is there any confirmation on the download characters or is it just speculation?
I should be more specific: the game will periodically completely erase all save data. At first this "erasing interval" was very long, to the point that I dismissed it as a fluke, but last time I wasn't able to get through the first part of the game without it messing up and I'm obviously not going to waste time playing if it's that unstable.

My understanding is that it's an issue with the flash memory in the GBA cartridge, but I have no idea what that issue would be.

It's also possible that they showed Paper Mario just to have something to show for 3DS that said "all your favorite Nintendo games will be on the new platform".

Right. Paper Mario is an obvious choice for 3DS, it's got a ton of "wow" factor right out of the gate, and it's easy to understand what its deal is but it doesn't inspire a ton of nitpicky questions about exactly how it works. It's way easier to just announce with a short E3 demo and forget about than FE would be.

Like the last Fire Emblem game did?

The FE3 remake really isn't a comparable situation. And, I mean, I get why people think that it is... but it still really isn't.

guek

Banned
The boxart is pretty sweet

61v5L4egaXL.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The FE3 remake really isn't a comparable situation. And, I mean, I get why people think that it is... but it still really isn't.

Why isn't it?

Is it not a sales issue? Pretty much everything points to the first remake bombing. Did the previous localized games sell better than I'm thinking they did, giving Nintendo some justification to localize this game? Or is it just a matter of them throwing the game on the system early in it's life hoping they can get something out of it before more interesting games get released?

I don't really think production values mean much if a game like The Last Story isn't even important enough for NoA to release on their own dime. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic, but I genuinely feel like NoA doesn't care anything about these types of games because they don't have confidence in their ability to sell. If not for OpRainfall causing a PR disaster (plus offering some free advertising), I doubt we would have even gotten Xenoblade (see: Gamestop stepping in) or Last Story (XSEED stepping in).

Edit: I do feel better about a NA release after the EU announcement though, as I've mentioned before. But I'm still far from as confident as some others here. Prior to that, I just assumed it wasn't coming at all.

Emitan

Why isn't it?

Is it not a sales issue? Pretty much everything points to the first remake bombing. Did the previous localized games sell better than I'm thinking they did, giving Nintendo some justification to localize this game? Or is it just a matter of them throwing the game on the system early in it's life hoping they can get something out of it before more interesting games get released?

I don't really think production values mean much if a game like The Last Story isn't even important enough for NoA to release on their own dime. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic, but I genuinely feel like NoA doesn't care anything about these types of games because they don't have confidence in their ability to sell. If not for OpRainfall causing a PR disaster (plus offering some free advertising), I doubt we would have even gotten Xenoblade (see: Gamestop stepping in) or Last Story (XSEED stepping in).

FE3 DS:
Remake of a SNES game no one's heard of
Ugly
On an old system

FEA:
New game
On a new system
Doesn't look like dog shit

Why isn't it?

Edit: I do feel better about a NA release after the EU announcement though, as I've mentioned before. But I'm still far from as confident as some others here. Prior to that, I just assumed it wasn't coming at all.

By your logic, shouldn't this FE not be coming out in Europe, either?

Emitan

I'll give you 2 of the 3 because I agree, but Fire Emblem has always had an "anime" look. I don't see any problem here, and Yusuke Kozaki's art is far from ugly.

You can only give him 1 out of 3 because the DLC is free for like 2 months

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
By your logic, shouldn't this FE not be coming out in Europe, either?

It shouldn't. Which is why I was extremely, happily surprised when it was announced since it gave me a glimmer of hope for a North American release. I legitimately thought the series was dead in the west, by all means it seems like it should be.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'll give you 2 of the 3 because I agree, but Fire Emblem has always had an "anime" look. I don't see any problem here, and Yusuke Kozaki's art is far from ugly.
The in game art looks far from his best though, it looks kinda bad. The only up side is that it doesn't look as bad as what was done in the DS games, neither does the 3D or overall look actually.

Smo21

No this shit again...
What have europeans that americans don't?

Ec9A5.jpg

NOE's Reggie

also just started playing Path of Radiance(buddy had a copy) and I'm liking it so far. I'm a ff tactics player so some things are a lil different than i was expecting. Down elevation effect damage at all? .

Is it not a sales issue? Pretty much everything points to the first remake bombing. Did the previous localized games sell better than I'm thinking they did, giving Nintendo some justification to localize this game?

Shadow Dragon didn't bomb and all the previous Fire Emblems sold better than you think they did.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It didn't come out in 2011 in the US because Nintendo's handheld battle plan was bascially Black and White, 3DS, and then fuck all. I was frankly shocked when we got Mass Attack and Layton 4.

- Ugly 3D instead of sprites
- Ugly anime look
- Day 1 DLC

Not looking too good so far.

Well it has sprites on the overworld at least. And I would agree with you on the anime-ness, though Fire Emblem has always been drawn like an anime, this one seems more like a typical non-Fire Emblem anime game. However, the style has grown on me and I don't mind it now. Besides, Fire Emblem is Fire Emblem. I need my fix, and this game looks to do that handily.

Ezalc

They better release this in America. Fire Emblem + Paper Mario is enough to make me get a 3DS.

This. These two games are the only things that I'm waiting for to get a 3DS besides a green colored one or a redesign neither of the latter seem likely at this point though at least not in the US. NOA fucking better release this game, I need to feed my FE hunger. It's been years since I played a FE game, you hear me Nintendo?! YEARS GODDAMNIT.

hatchx

Banned
- Ugly 3D instead of sprites
- Ugly anime look
- Day 1 DLC

Not looking too good so far.

I'll give you 0/3. I like the new 3D sprites. Looks really polished, nicer backgrounds and animations than I'd expect on a handheld game.

I like sprites too, but hey, I liked the old Mario sprites and Mario Galaxy still came out. Change is nice.

Ezalc

Only characters I want in this would be Nephenee, Haar, and Sigurd only if they remain the massive slaughterers like they were in their original games.

Only characters I want in this would be Nephenee, Haar, and Sigurd only if they remain the massive slaughterers like they were in their original games.

Nephenee isn't exactly what I'd call as "massive slaughterer" she's good but she isn't brokenly OP from the moment she joins the way Sigurd is.

Also any worried I had about this game getting a US release died when it was announced that The Last Story was getting a US release on the Wii which Nintendo seems to have abandoned.

Codeblue

I'd have a super tough time picking which characters to bring back, especially between the PoR/RD characters.

That box art is really cool. I'd love it if they made it reversible without the rating or title block on there though.

fates

This. These two games are the only things that I'm waiting for to get a 3DS besides a green colored one or a redesign neither of the latter seem likely at this point though at least not in the US. NOA fucking better release this game, I need to feed my FE hunger. It's been years since I played a FE game, you hear me Nintendo?! YEARS GODDAMNIT.

Well I have a 3DS already, but I mostly only play Tales of the Abyss on it at the moment. But it pains me immensely that 2 of the games I really, really want for the 3DS probably aren't going to see a stateside release (MH Tri G and this). So I agree with that sentiment.

I really can't see this being a E3 reveal either because it really seems like Nintendo's E3 show will be focused on the Wii U retry.

Shadow Dragon didn't bomb and all the previous Fire Emblems sold better than you think they did.

This what I always thought @ Shadow Dragon. I had a really hard time finding Shadow Dragon when I went out to get it (last Fall). No local stores had it, Best Buy, Gamestop (I know...), Target, TRU, etc. At the time even Amazon didn't have it. On the other hand, every local Best Buy here still has about one-two full racks of Glory of Heracles. If I had to pick a bomb, I'd pick that.

But then the question is what the hell happened to 12? And why is 13 being ignored here (so far)?

I know the argument of "well they are waiting for the NA reveal", but it just seems pointless. You probably aren't going to get a huge "OMG!!!" factor from the E3 panel audience who is there for the Wii U on a Fire Emblem reveal. I don't see why it would be harmful to say "Coming to NA and EU in 2012", and then release details as they come. The way I see it right now is just that there is no plan to bring this over to North America at all.

I see this in the same boat as xenoblade/etc. If US was definite it would've been announced along with Europe. Look at it this way: Xenoblade was already translated and released in Europe and we still didn't have a US annoucement. At that point I feel like they threw logic out the window, which is what makes me hesitant about this.

However, FE is on new hardware. Its a game that can actually move some (small) amount of systems. That's more than can be said for, say, Steel Diver, haha. Also, it looks fucking awesome. Nintendo realizes this...right? :/ In the case that the US doesn't get it, I'll be even more upset that the 3DS isn't region free.

I feel like an ass now for not finishing PoR. I think I have two chapter left. -_- Should I FAQ my way through the last couple and move on to Radiant Dawn? Does your save carry over? If I've forgotten the story to PoR should I even bother? Is RD worth the high price tag?

fates

RD is pretty good, however it's hindered by an annoying habit of shifting which "group" you control.

And yes it does require some knowledge of PoR to fully understand.

Codeblue

I really can't see this being a E3 reveal either because it really seems like Nintendo's E3 show will be focused on the Wii U retry.

Nintendo announces more stuff at E3 than they mention in their conference. A bunch of games get shoved into a sizzle reel or not mentioned at all and show up on their E3 site or upcoming games listing later. I believe we found out Radiant Dawn was getting localized because a brief cut scene segment made it into a reel at E3. I think that's how we also found out about Flingsmash and Xenoblade, but I'm sure someone with better memory will correct me.

I feel like an ass now for not finishing PoR. I think I have two chapter left. -_- Should I FAQ my way through the last couple and move on to Radiant Dawn? Does your save carry over? If I've forgotten the story to PoR should I even bother? Is RD worth the high price tag?

RD is great on its own but I think it's a hundred times more enjoyable if you know who the returning characters are. The save does carry but it's only for supports, so characters will return regardless of whether or not they died in your PoR save.

There is a small stat transfer, but it's pretty negligible. +2 to any stat capped by a unit at level 20/20. There's a weapon rank bonus, an FE9 support viewer, FE9 A supports become bond supports, and Ike/Soren A support affects the story. I think an additional base convo or something. Also your coins carry over.

You'll be reminded of the story at plenty of points in FE10. If you do want to brush up, there are a number of good playthroughs on Youtube. It would be useful to remember who the characters are.

FE10 is one of the best to be released in English, in my opinion. Also one of the more difficult ones.

RD is pretty good, however it's hindered by an annoying habit of shifting which "group" you control.

And yes it does require some knowledge of PoR to fully understand.

I actually enjoyed this. Other than the fact that some characters were almost never available as a result.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Most of the unavailable units are jackholes anyways.

Like I care what Tormod is up to. Trying to level Taureno for the end game can be a hoot though.

Bebpo

Banned
About how long is a playthrough of Radiant Dawn? I played PoR and I want to play this, but kind of feel like I should play RD first.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
About how long is a playthrough of Radiant Dawn? I played PoR and I want to play this, but kind of feel like I should play RD first.

RD is a long ass game. The maps are much bigger than PoR's and its a more difficult game, though you can also savestate it at any point on Easy or Normal, making it less painful.

First run on Normal? 35-40 hours easily.

Peff

It's long, definitely. If you have animations on every once in a while to unlock the music (and watch them for the new attacks and stuff, why not) it could easily take 40-50 hours, not counting restarts and such. Without animations and max speed I guess it could be doable in 20ish hours give or take.

Bebpo

Banned
Sounds good, but at that length I'll probably just skip it and play this one first (prefer portable for srpgs) and then get back to it eventually. This new one isn't going to be connected story-wise, is it?

Top Bottom