• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening [3DS] coming to Europe in 2012

Codeblue

The picture for spamming A in fire emblems case would more likely be a picture of inadvertently sending one of your units to their death in a fight they can't win, well for me at least, i'm sure i've done that at least once.

I've done it too. My eyes always widen when the battle screen comes up and I see that my dude is at 10 HP and has a 90% shot at getting slaughtered.

Firemind

And again, how do we know it's a sequel? Do we know anything about FE13 in relation to the Akanea games? If you have any news that you'd like to share, then please do so.

I'm going by the picture that shows a masked man with an uncanny resemblance to Marth. How many dudes wear a tiara? Also, a magazine supposedly confirmed it.

Your initial argument is that FE7 is intrinsically related to FE6, but Nintendo brought it over anyway. The flaw in your argument is that, while their stories are connected, FE7 is a prequel and thus stands on its own. Now that's debunked, your argument is that there's no proof that FE13 is related to prior games. Well, look at the picture. If it's not Marth or it's Marth in an alternate dimension, then Intelligent Systems sure is good at trolling.

Codeblue

wish i didn't see the trailer. if that guy is really marth, it would have been a nice surprise when i actually play it

Well it's sort of spoiled on the Box Art. They really go out of their way to point it out so I'd say it isn't supposed to be a surprise, probably an early plot point or something if it isn't an imposter.

King Boo

Well it's sort of spoiled on the Box Art. They really go out of their way to point it out so I'd say it isn't supposed to be a surprise, probably an early plot point or something if it isn't an imposter.

didn't know he was on the box cover.

i wonder if it will have ike now. or those twins from the gba game

Yūsuke Kozaki the same character designer from No More Heroes.
(though I not ask) Thanks I knew the art seemed familiar. but couldn't put my finger on it...

Well if you're going to be a BATTLE CLERIC you might as well wear some sort of weird armored skirt.
Wait you mean Female using axes and is a battle cleric...this a dream come true in both ways. Though not the first time we've had females using axes and staves (thanks FE4 master Knight).

I have no idea how this:

Your initial argument is that FE7 is intrinsically related to FE6, but Nintendo brought it over anyway.

Being debunked by this:

The flaw in your argument is that, while their stories are connected, FE7 is a prequel and thus stands on its own.

Implies that this:

Now that's debunked, your argument is that there's no proof that FE13 is related to prior games. Well, look at the picture. If it's not Marth or it's Marth in an alternate dimension, then Intelligent Systems sure is good at trolling.

Prevents NOA from releasing the game here. I mean, you're trying way too hard to create an intricate relationship that doesn't exist yet. At most you have a world map (that's been completely renamed, I must add) and a character from a previous game at moment. Everything else regarding the storyline (including the setting and characters) are completely new.

Firemind

Where did I say it'd be a reason for Nintendo to not release it outside Japan? All I'm saying your FE7 analogy is flawed and that it shouldn't be brought up in the first place. To be perfectly clear, I'm very optimistic and I would eat several hats if Nintendo doesn't bring it over here. NoE basically confirmed it anyway.

Where did I say it'd be a reason for Nintendo to not release it outside Japan? All I'm saying your FE7 analogy is flawed and that it shouldn't be brought up in the first place. To be perfectly clear, I'm very optimistic and I would eat several hats if Nintendo doesn't bring it over here. NoE basically confirmed it anyway.

I don't see how it's a bad analogy considering that the connection between FE13 and FE12 is equivalent to FE1/FEGaiden (as in not very) at best thus far.

The Chicken Littleing going on here is actually kind of impressive.

I get the distinct feeling that some people here will be happier if it doesn't come because that means their narrative is correct.

fates

wtf is she wearing? fire emblem, you had a good run.

She's a battlemaiden.

They just decided to put the emphasis on the "maid" part.

I rather like the designs for this game (now), but that particular character was always off putting.

Also I think Sumia is the first Pegasus Knight to have a hair color that isn't blue, green, or red, or any variation of those...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
According to all reports FE 6 came within a hair's breath of being localized.

Also I don't know if its true for SD but every game between 7-10 sold better in the US then it did in Japan.

BUTLER KNIGHT

SbLPI.png

All I can think of is an endless variation of "served" puns

matmanx1

Really, really tempted to import the Kakusei pack from Japan just so I can get the nifty looking J-3DS so I can finally play import games. I'm fairly confident we'll see a localized version here in the US so my import would be more about the hardware than playing the software early although that would certainly be a plus.

Sacred Stones from the Ambassador program has turned me on to the series in a big way.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Keep in mind that's the least good localized game.

SD doesn't count cause it's no good at all.
I thought Radiant Dawn was pretty bad, mostly because by jumping around the characters it prevented me from playing the way I want to. Maybe I should give it another chance considering how much I liked PoR, but I'm skeptical.

For me it goes FE(7) > Path of Radiance > Sacred Stones >>>>>>>>>>> Radiant Dawn > Shadow Dragon

Sqorgar

Banned
But they only announced a new 2D Mario on the 3DS for Japan! Stupid NOA will never let us have it!
I don't want to be a Chicken Little here, but Fire Emblem is not Mario. They didn't even localize the last one (or the first six?). And the whole Operation Rainfall debacle... Seems unlikely that Nintendo would hold back an announcement of a niche title when they will have much bigger titles (and presumably, a new console) to promote at the E3. But NoA lives in fantasy land, and trying to accurately predict their decision making process involves a dart board and heavy drug use.

I absolutely want the new Fire Emblem to come out in the US, but after Valkyria Chronicles 3, Makai Kingdom PSP, Shining Force Feather, Super Robot Taisen OG/OG Gaiden PS2, the Yggdra Union sequels, Front Mission 5, and heck, the last Fire Emblem, I'll believe it when I see it. Being part of a successful and well respected tactics franchise just isn't worth much, it would seem.

Tookay

I thought Radiant Dawn was pretty bad, mostly because by jumping around the characters it prevented me from playing the way I want to. Maybe I should give it another chance considering how much I liked PoR, but I'm skeptical.

For me it goes FE(7) > Path of Radiance > Sacred Stones >>>>>>>>>>> Radiant Dawn > Shadow Dragon

RD settles down later in the campaign and becomes great. It's my favorite by a longshot.

donny2112

Seems unlikely that Nintendo would hold back an announcement of a niche title

No, it doesn't. Look how late they announced Xenoblade and Last Story.

NoA lives in fantasy land, and trying to accurately predict their decision making process ...

Yeah, they're really disconnected from the audience they're supposed to be selling games to. It was much better when NOA's PR was in Redmond, but ever since the move to San Francisco and the related departures of so many long-time NOA personnel, they've been horrible at getting the right information out. They've also gone through several PR people, hopefully because their performance wasn't up to standards. They really need to get the right people in there, and if it takes moving PR back to Redmond, they should do it.

(Keeping NOA's PR in Redmond would've also supported keeping Nintendo Power in-house, which would've been great, but that's not really the point of the discussion.)

There are surely better uses of your time than childish cynicism about video game localizations.

FE12 is a "half-assed remake"? It's one of the best games in the series. Maybe you were talking about FE11, but I still think FE11 is decent gameplay wise.

Calling people childish for choosing to "remain skeptical" while proclaiming it's guaranteed to be localized? Seriously? At least he's admitting he could possibly be wrong. I think it's likely to be localized but some skepticism is warranted, and calling people childish for it doesn't help.

I didn't really care for Radiant Dawn my first time through, but towards the end of the game and on my second playthrough I really began to enjoy it, and it's becoming one of my favorites in the series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Once Radiant Dawn grabs you you won't be able to go back.

It's basically two and a half FE games smooshed into one delicious package.

Sqorgar

Banned
No, it doesn't. Look how late they announced Xenoblade and Last Story.
They weren't going to bring out Xenoblade at all until Operation Rainfall - Nintendo made a rare move an actually unannounced the game publicly - and even now, it's a GameStop exclusive, which is horrible since GameStop is the LAST retailer you want dealing with a niche title. Did you pre-order the game with no advertising that you didn't know was coming out? No? Too bad. We didn't order enough copies. Lucky for you, we have a used copy...

And Nintendo isn't even bringing out Last Story - XSEED is.

Yeah, they're really disconnected from the audience they're supposed to be selling games to. It was much better when NOA's PR was in Redmond, but ever since the move to San Francisco and the related departures of so many long-time NOA personnel, they've been horrible at getting the right information out. They've also gone through several PR people, hopefully because their performance wasn't up to standards. They really need to get the right people in there, and if it takes moving PR back to Redmond, they should do it.
I don't think this is just a PR issue. The person who is deciding where to spend company resources is deciding to abandon brands and potential brands rather than attempting to build them up. NoE is putting in the effort, leading to a situation where the US Nintendo fans are looking at empty release schedules while being told by their friends across the pond how they are going to be playing the best RPGs of this generation.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
RD settles down later in the campaign and becomes great. It's my favorite by a longshot.
I didn't really care for Radiant Dawn my first time through, but towards the end of the game and on my second playthrough I really began to enjoy it, and it's becoming one of my favorites in the series.

Alright, I've been persuaded to give it another shot.

Boney

Banned
Only problem with Radiant Dawn is that it's uglyyyyyy, but looks so much better than Path of Radiance that kinda looks acceptable in my mind.

Only problem with Radiant Dawn is that it's uglyyyyyy, but looks so much better than Path of Radiance that kinda looks acceptable in my mind.
RD isn't the prettiest game (even for its time), but somehow that was part of its charm for me. I liked the graphics :p They were good enough and, yeah, better than PoR.

I stopped playing during the middle of act 3 because the story was so atrocious. That and one chapter had a ridiculous "other" phase that I didn't want to sit through.

Still I want to pick up my transfer HM playthrough sometime. I mean from a gameplay perspective I think the game is pretty interesting, though I'm not sure why they removed the weapon triangle in HM.

I absolutely want the new Fire Emblem to come out in the US, but after Valkyria Chronicles 3, Makai Kingdom PSP, Shining Force Feather, Super Robot Taisen OG/OG Gaiden PS2, the Yggdra Union sequels, Front Mission 5, and heck, the last Fire Emblem

It might be close when you do the exact numbers, but I am fairly certain that, in the US, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon outsold the latest entries in all of those other series combined.

KingK

I stopped playing during the middle of act 3 because the story was so atrocious. That and one chapter had a ridiculous "other" phase that I didn't want to sit through.

Still I want to pick up my transfer HM playthrough sometime. I mean from a gameplay perspective I think the game is pretty interesting, though I'm not sure why they removed the weapon triangle in HM.

what? I thought the story in RD was fantastic.

matmanx1

Luckily I still have a Wii that doesn't want to be dusty so I'm just going to have to break down and purchase a copy of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn in the not too distant future. I'm absolutely inundated with RPG's at present (and loving it!) and Tales of Graces arrives Tuesday to add to the pile. Once late spring and early summer gets here and the game releases slow down I might be investing some heavy time into the Fire Emblem back catalog. Sounds like a perfect gaming project for this summer, actually.

Top Bottom