• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
Do you guys roll new characters often to test things out?

I have so many characters 10 or 12 maybe, just to try different stuff each time. I did dex build, PvP build, strength build, blueblood sword build, low level build (half of my characters are low level, below 30) etc, etc

Zzoram

canova said:
I have so many characters 10 or 12 maybe, just to try different stuff each time. I did dex build, PvP build, strength build, blueblood sword build, etc, etc

How quickly are you gearing up new characters? I spend like 30 hours on my first toon and even though that was a year ago and I can't remember what I was doing with him, I am scared of rolling a new one because of how long it will take for me to acquire upgraded gear/spells (Evacuate took hours to grind for) and how much grinding I'll need to do to use it.

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
How quickly are you gearing up new characters? I spend like 30 hours on my first toon and even though that was a year ago and I can't remember what I was doing with him, I am scared of rolling a new one because of how long it will take for me to acquire upgraded gear/spells (Evacuate took hours to grind for) and how much grinding I'll need to do to use it.

on average I think I spent about 40-50 hours per character. I've been playing this game since April, never missed it more than 3-4 days. so yeah I think I've put on close to 800 hours on this game

Zzoram

canova said:
on average I think I spent about 40-50 hours per character. I've been playing this game since April, never missed it more than 3-4 days. so yeah I think I've put on close to 800 hours on this game

That's dedication. Do any of your SL~60 characters have special +5 upgraded weapons? Particularly the Bladestone, Moonlightstone, and Darkmoonstone, since those are the ones that you need to farm like crazy and have insane luck with Crystal Lizards to get. It would be awesome if you could lend them to me for a minute so I can stop thinking about those trophies :lol I intend to keep playing this game a bit at a time until Project Dark is out (and possibly after, if Project Dark proves to be an unworthy successor).

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
That's dedication. Do any of your SL~60 characters have special +5 upgraded weapons? Particularly the Bladestone, Moonlightstone, and Darkmoonstone, since those are the ones that you need to farm like crazy and have insane luck with Crystal Lizards to get. It would be awesome if you could lend them to me for a minute so I can stop thinking about those trophies :lol I intend to keep playing this game a bit at a time until Project Dark is out (and possibly after, if Project Dark proves to be an unworthy successor).

my NA chars are in level 1, 20, 32, and 230. The chars that I used for trophies are long gone

my EU chars are in level 100-ish I believe.

LiK

canova said:
I have so many characters 10 or 12 maybe, just to try different stuff each time. I did dex build, PvP build, strength build, blueblood sword build, low level build (half of my characters are low level, below 30) etc, etc

i only made 2

Zzoram

canova said:
my NA chars are in level 1, 20, 32, and 230. The chars that I used for trophies are long gone

my EU chars are in level 100-ish I believe.

Wow 2 copies :lol

You're really hardcore.

Ok no problem. Could you tell me how hard it was for you to get those 3 pure stones? I'm dreading the hours of grinding for pure bladestone and I know I'll mess up the lizard kills.

Is your SL230 on NG+++?

LiK

Zzoram said:

You're really hardcore.

Ok no problem. Could you tell me how hard it was for you to get those 3 pure stones? I'm dreading the hours of grinding for pure bladestone and I know I'll mess up the lizard kills.

Is your SL230 on NG+++?
His avatar is justified :lol

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:

You're really hardcore.

Is your SL230 on NG+++?

2 versions, I still have 0 platinums, because of pure bladestones :lol

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:

You're really hardcore.

Is your SL230 on NG+++?

yes my SL230 on NG++++

Zzoram

canova said:
yes my SL230 on NG++++

So that means 5th playthrough?

Did you try to get a pure bladestone this week during PBWT with the black skeleton in 4-2? Where is it anyways?

canova said:
true :lol

I hate grinding

I think that's why I stopped playing last year. I spent a few hours grinding the reaper in 4-2 and got bored so I started playing other games and just didn't find my way back until recently.

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
So that means 5th playthrough?

Did you try to get a pure bladestone this week during PBWT with the black skeleton in 4-2? Where is it anyways?

no. none of my chars have soulsuck magic.

Zzoram

canova said:
no. none of my chars have soulsuck magic.

Do you need soulsuck to get a pure bladestone? Can't you just shoot arrows from outside his vision?

Wait, how can you be on NG++++ without soulsuck? Do you always go for bad ending?

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
Do you need soulsuck to get a pure bladestone? Can't you just shoot arrows from outside his vision?

Wait, how can you be on NG++++ without soulsuck? Do you always go for bad ending?

Soulsuck is almost a must to get pure bladestone, any other way would be too time consuming

SL230 is my dex build.

I didn't upgrade my magic at all. by SL230, it takes 2M I think to up one level

Zzoram

canova said:
Soulsuck is almost a must to get pure bladestone, any other way would be too time consuming

SL230 is my dex build.

I didn't upgrade my magic at all. by SL230, it takes 2M I think to up one level

How do you grind for souls at that level? How long would it take to gain 1 level?

Also, what's the best sword for Crescent+5? Kilij? It seems to have the best damage for required Str/Dex, if I was to minimize those and just max out Magic.

Canova

Banned
dralla said:
enchanting [light weapon] the blueblood sword with the insanity catalyst is god damn deadly.

yup blueblood build is very powerful, second after dex build

How do you grind for souls at that level? How long would it take to gain 1 level?

Also, what's the best sword for Crescent+5? Kilij? It seems to have the best damage for required Str/Dex, if I was to minimize those and just max out Magic.

takes forever to up one level by then. some other DS hardcores have SL 500-ish :lol

or those in SL700-ish PvP tournament, but most of those use cheat to get up that high

I think it's Crescent Uchi+5

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Great success! I have defeated maneater!
Shot the first one with heavy arrows through the fog until it died, then warding+light weapon and used the center pyre as cover and eventually wore him down.

Zzoram

For now I think I'm going to keep playing my well-rounded character because of my time investment and because he's close to getting a few trophies for weapon upgrades.

His vitality is only 10 though, is it important to have vitality in PvE?

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
For now I think I'm going to keep playing my well-rounded character because of my time investment and because he's close to getting a few trophies for weapon upgrades.

His vitality is only 10 though, is it important to have vitality in PvE?

vit 10 is low, unless you want to keep your char low level, then yeah I suggest you upgrade vit

Zzoram

canova said:
vit 10 is low, unless you want to keep your char low level, then yeah I suggest you upgrade vit

I have 10 vit on my SL61 character. For some reason I thought vit wasn't important but lately I've been looking at build guides and they all have tons of vit :lol

A 2-2 miner with a pickaxe hitting me once in soul form will leave just a sliver of health. I only beat 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 solo, every other boss I had blue phantoms help.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Beat old monk on my first try. :D

Surprisingly easy. Getting there with all those phantom mindflayers in the way got me killed a few times though.

Zzoram

ArachosiA 78 said:
I finally decided to order this game. I hope I like it as much as most of you guys do.

You will unless you have anger management issues and an easily bruised ego.

Just remember, dying isn't a bad thing. You're supposed to die as you learn the layout of a level and unlock shortcuts. It's like playing Megaman with infinite lives, you die to learn the level, until eventually you can beat the whole level in 1 shot because you've honed your skills and memorized the layout and enemy placement and boss patterns.

Don't worry about losing souls. If you build up too much spend them (after beating 1-1), or you can farm souls in 4-1, 4-2, but other than when you're farming don't worry too much about losing souls.

SteelAttack said:
Holy shit! I can't believe it! I just beat Phalanx! At last, I finally beat the first level! I am so happy right now.
i don't know if its just my play style, or because you're at somewhat of a disadvantage before you can start leveling up, but the first phalanx fight has routinely been a problem for me regardless of class. its irritating. congrats though, huge hurdle passed.

Zzoram

It's because you can't level up before fighting phalanx, but other bosses you can always grind more or summon allies if you get stuck.

Zzoram said:
It's because you can't level up before fighting phalanx, but other bosses you can always grind more or summon allies if you get stuck.
well i figured it was supposed to be tough for that reason, its just odd that i had less trouble with flamelurker (without glitching him too badly) than with phalanx.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm still confused about this month's world tendency shift. None of my worlds are pure black right now and no primeval demons are showing up.

Also I finally found Satsuki. He was sitting on top of the first archway in 4-1 the whole time. I couldn't reach him so I shot him with an arrow and he ran off. :(

I wonder if my game bugged.

Rabbitwork said:
well i figured it was supposed to be tough for that reason, its just odd that i had less trouble with flamelurker (without glitching him too badly) than with phalanx.

Are you using fire attacks on phalanx? I beat him on my first try. Just toss a couple firebombs to clear out the little guys, then sticky white stuff your sword and go to town.

Zzoram

luka said:
I'm still confused about this month's world tendency shift. None of my worlds are pure black right now and no primeval demons are showing up.

Also I finally found Satsuki. He was sitting on top of the first archway in 4-1 the whole time. I couldn't reach him so I shot him with an arrow and he ran off. :(

I wonder if my game bugged.
You have to load your save and then quit like 10 times in a row. Each connection to the server moves your worlds blacker.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Zzoram said:
You have to load your save and then quit like 10 times in a row. Each connection to the server moves your worlds blacker.

Ah, thanks. I figured it should happen when you return to the nexus.

oracrest

Zzoram said:

Also, if you are tearing through worlds, killing bosses, that is shifting your tendency towards white. Go to the Nexus, and quit and reload a few times and you should be good.

I believe that world tendency is locked when you enter an archstone, and only updates when you go back to the Nexus. Only Character tendency is immediately reflected.

I finally progressed after being stuck for a while. Didn't know how to beat 2-3 and can't beat 3-2/4-2, couldn't get past the fog in 1-3 and 5-2 seemed brutally hard. I cheated and checked out how to get past 2-3, I feel a bit bad but at least I can continue playing now.

Can someone give me some tips for building a decent magic PvP character so if I get invaded I don't have to run for my life? It's annoying having a cling ring take up a ring slot or having to play offline.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
I believe that world tendency is locked when you enter an archstone, and only updates when you go back to the Nexus. Only Character tendency is immediately reflected.

yup that's true.

gonna play some more tonite. yippeee

Canova

Banned
Shalashaska said:
I finally progressed after being stuck for a while. Didn't know how to beat 2-3 and can't beat 3-2/4-2, couldn't get past the fog in 1-3 and 5-2 seemed brutally hard. I cheated and checked out how to get past 2-3, I feel a bit bad but at least I can continue playing now.

Can someone give me some tips for building a decent magic PvP character so if I get invaded I don't have to run for my life?

i never done magic character, but I heard firestorm is deadly. also get a monk head wrapper, it increases your magic damage

canova said:

not true, soulsuck is just as time consuming as spawning in on 4-2 and killing the guy behind the first hidden door with a backstab etc. that's how i got my pure anyway, after several hours soulsucking the BP katana for naught.

Well I'm grinding for the pure bladestone. My girl is S182 in NG+ and still gaining levels. Didn't know soul thirst and soulsuck stack. Even have Large Sword of Searching and been doing this for about an hour. I shutter to think about fighting that BP dual wielding katana skeleton without soulsuck.

Zzoram

Are well rounded characters bad since it's so hard to level up past a certain point?

My char is:

Vitality 10
Intelligence 20
Endurance 21
Strength 22
Dexterity 20
Magic 20
Faith 18
Luck 8

and I'm not sure what direction to take him. Should I get a Dragon Mirdan Hammer and just pump vitality?

Top Bottom