• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

edbrat

MidnightRider said:
Questions

Bolts --- What do they do? I have like 40 something of them but haven't even broke them out to see what they are.

Levels --- How do I tell which level is 1-1 , 2-1 , etc. When I walk up to the podium in the Nexus it just tells me the name of they are. Question is how are they ordered?

Miracles --- I learned and remembered the "Heal" one. It is showing that it is the UP on my D-PAD. When I push up on my D-PAD it just lights up the symbol but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT*** I also killed someone in the Nexus that had all these "comments" around him that said "Bad guy" or "attack" so I took it upon myself to kill his punk ass. No clue who he was or why he was there. I do know he was acting like a little bitch so I figured I would follow what all the comments said and kill him.

Bolts are for crossbows, do you have one?

Levels - there is no order as such in the classic games sense. You are free to approach in any way you wish. Personally I started recently and have completed 1-1 2-1 and 4-1. World 1 is furthest to the left at the bottom of the pathway with all the archstones and the worlds progress clockwise numerically from there.

Miracles - you need a talisman of god and I think level 10 Faith to cast this - and you need the ToG equipped to cast them.

Murdering dude in the nexus - what was his name, where was he sat, what was he saying? Sometimes people leave bitch messages encouraging you to kill an NPC who is ludicrously helpful / vital in completing the game.

Zzoram

edbrat said:
is it easy? Do you get a decent no. of souls? Is this a good thing to do in my first playthrough? Is there a guide somewhere re pros and cons of Nexus / non-hostile NPC murder?

You should avoid killing NPCs until your NG+ so you know what they all do. The main reason to kill NPCs is to blacken your character tendency (not world tendency).

Zzoram

MidnightRider said:
Also......... Am I wasteing souls by upgrading my Long Sword.

It's at +2 right now.

Not necessarily. Shard and Large Hardstone/Sharpstone are the most common and easily found type of stone so it's not a big deal to upgrade everything a bit.

Just don't use any Chunk or Pure stones until reading this:
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

AND ONEEEEE MOREEEEEEEE

Thanks again for all the answers.

What do yall do with all your "Demons Souls" as in the soul you get from the big demons.

I've only killed one. The shield dude on 1-1 and still have his soul.

MidnightRider said:

It's at +2 right now.
That depends. You can safely upgrade to a Long Sword +3, at which point the upgrade paths diverge into Crushing (Greystone), Quality (Clearstone) or Dragon (Dragonstone). With a Long Sword +6, you can then upgrade into Blessed (Faintstone). Then again, you can keep the default path with Hardstone all the way to Long Sword +10.

What you want depends on your modifiers, and I'd take a look here if you're still unsure. Also, it depends if you're gunning for a Platinum trophy, or you just want a more powerful sword.

For trophy purposes, you'll find a Dragon Long Sword +1 in 2-2.

edbrat

MidnightRider said:
What do yall do with all your "Demons Souls" as in the soul you get from the big demons.

I have a few of these unused as well, I am told they are best used to get awesome weaponry at some unspecified point later in the game though if you do swallow them you get a bucketload of souls.

edbrat said:
Murdering dude in the nexus - what was his name, where was he sat, what was he saying? Sometimes people leave bitch messages encouraging you to kill an NPC who is ludicrously helpful / vital in completing the game.

I can't be for sure but he was standing next to the dude that gave me my Miracle power. It's in one of the side chambers on the first floor.

EDIT*** I don't see why he would have been helpful as he was crying like a little girl about somthing stupid I didn't care to hear about. :lol

oracrest

MidnightRider said:

It's at +2 right now.

I beat the game in my first playthrough just upgrading the Long Sword to +10. that's before I knew the ins and outs of how the different weapon upgrade paths worked. BUT, the game is totally playable with just that main weapon.

Canova

Banned
MidnightRider said:
AND ONEEEEE MOREEEEEEEE

Thanks again for all the answers.

Demon's Souls are used for special weapons or advanced magic or miracles

oracrest said:
I beat the game in my first playthrough just upgrading the Long Sword to +10. that's before I knew the ins and outs of how the different weapon upgrade paths worked. BUT, the game is totally playable with just that main weapon.

I might stick with my LS until I find the Dragon sword in 2-2 and then put all my time and effort into that one I guess.

I already can't wait to start over with Magic.

Canova

Banned
Thrakier said:
bcc5a07a.jpg

Woah, which class is that?

that's my badass mofo samurai-assassin class :D

RyanDG

So I just completed my first 3 invasions with my magician character. The first one the guy ended up summoning another person to help fight me off. It was the prison level (Latria). One of the mindflayer/face suckers actually ended up paralyzing the helpers and ripped off their face. I enjoyed watching that from a distance. Than I simply casually walked right up to the other guy (some person in really heavy armor) and blasted them repeatedly with soul ray. That was fun. The second invasion was in Stonefang tunnels. I failed miserably on this one. Once again the person ended up summoning other people to help (two this time), and despite almost taking out one of the people that were brought in for the invasion, I was simply overwhelmed. Probably should've made better use of the 'enemy' friends in the game. The last invasion I did was not noteworthy at all. I stalked the guy like a predator for a while watching him go through the level. Then when he went into a room that I knew was going to be one way, I waited at the entrance and blasted him on his way out.

Invasions are fun. I <3 soul ray. There are probably going to be much better spells for invasions than that one in the future, but at my level this one seems to be my favorite (with the kris blade and ring of magical sharpness).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
edbrat said:
I have a few of these unused as well, I am told they are best used to get awesome weaponry at some unspecified point later in the game though if you do swallow them you get a bucketload of souls.

Out of curiosity, I burned a bunch of them on a throwaway character, wondering how many souls you get.

You really don't get that many souls. Huge waste. So don't be tempted to consume them.

MidnightRider said:
I can't be for sure but he was standing next to the dude that gave me my Miracle power. It's in one of the side chambers on the first floor.

EDIT*** I don't see why he would have been helpful as he was crying like a little girl about somthing stupid I didn't care to hear about. :lol
I did the same thing, curious if he was important.

Sotha Sil

I've started playing Mount and Blade: Warband to fill my realistic swordplay needs, and while I'm absolutely loving it, it really made me realize how much of a great implementation the stamina bar was. Demon's Souls was a tad more simplistic moves-wise, but having to deal with exhaustion was so much more intense.

Thinking of starting an archer playthrough (played as a straightforward honorable knight and as a devious backstabbing magician so far). But sparring is so much fun! Any pure-archer lovers around here? :)

Sotha Sil said:
I've started playing Mount and Blade: Warband to fill my realistic swordplay needs, and while I'm absolutely loving it, it really made me realize how much of a great implementation the stamina bar was. Demon's Souls was a tad more simplistic moves-wise, but having to deal with exhaustion was so much more intense.

Thinking of starting an archer playthrough (played as a straightforward honorable knight and as a devious backstabbing magician so far). But sparring is so much fun! Any pure-archer lovers around here? :)

I am following what you did.... Knight up close first time then going into magician for the next playthrough though as slow as I am going right now. It will be a LONG while before I make it.

Sotha Sil

MidnightRider said:
I am following what you did.... Knight up close first time then going into magician for the next playthrough though as slow as I am going right now. It will be a LONG while before I make it.

Magicians are great, if you spice things up with some dastardly rogue skills. I've had a lot of fun as a black phatom; much more challenging (since you have to plan your attacks: lots of hit-and-run guerilla tactics involved).

edbrat

Sotha Sil said:
Magicians are great, if you spice things up with some dastardly rogue skills. I've had a lot of fun as a black phatom; much more challenging (since you have to plan your attacks: lots of hit-and-run guerilla tactics involved).

alright Sotha Sil, what do you mean by rogue skills?

In what order would yall recommend tackling the other levels?

I am a noob at this kind of game and have been getting slaughtered trying to rack up some souls...... though no clue what I will do with them still.

Sotha Sil

edbrat said:
alright Sotha Sil, what do you mean by rogue skills?

Ah, I guess this could have been more clear. I should have said a "mage-rogue hybrid", rather than specifically talking about "rogue skills". I had a lot of fun playing as a typical "rogue" with my mage: giving her a lot of Dex, learning how to leap around foes to backstab them... This kind of thing. Not playing as a pure, range attack-based mage.

edit: MidnightRider, which levels have you completed so far?

Canova

Banned
MidnightRider said:
In what order would yall recommend tackling the other levels?

I am a noob at this kind of game and have been getting slaughtered trying to rack up some souls...... though no clue what I will do with them still.

- upgrade your weapon
- upgrade your character
- buy short bow, upgrade it to at least +3 (for the boss)
- then go to 2-1

you'll get some more upgrade materials from 2-1, upgrade your weapon some more

canova said:
- upgrade your weapon
- upgrade your character
- buy short bow, upgrade it to at least +3 (for the boss)
- then go to 2-1

you'll get some more upgrade materials from 2-1, upgrade your weapon some more

Best place to buy short bow?
the dude in the Nexus?

Sotha Sil

MidnightRider said:
Best place to buy short bow?
the dude in the Nexus?

You can find one in 1-2 (top of the second tower, which you can access through the tunnel). Hope you've learned to dodge the dragon! :)

A simple question, folks. I have way too many games to play, but should I still get Demon's Souls?

I somehow missed this game, but everybody keeps raving about it.

So... Should I?

Sotha Sil

Lé Blade Runner said:
A simple question, folks. I have way too many games to play, but should I still get Demon's Souls?

So... Should I?

Questions hardly ever get more rhetorical than this one.

oracrest

'The true Demon's Souls starts here.'

Having finished, I think the one place that this message deserves to be is

at the entrance of the Maneater fight
:lol

Playing through early levels in pure black is fun with the unexpected black phantoms coming at me. I made it to the end of the dragon run, and holy shit, three knights are running at me, two of them black phantoms! what the shit!?

So, right when this happened, I get summoned into another players game. They die, and I get sent back to my game, but the phantoms are now gone, and so is my bloodstain near them from the earlier run. A fine trade off for me. Sorta weird, not complaining though!

Risible

Lé Blade Runner said:

So... Should I?

This is the second thread about the game - the other ran so long that they started a new one.

Does that answer your question? :)

Spoiler:
the answer is YES.

Lé Blade Runner said:

So... Should I?

YES! I would put everything else on hold.

Canova

Banned
what makes me sad is that since Sony owns all Demon's Souls properties, most likely we won't be seeing any single Demon's Souls reference (names, characters, etc) in Project Dark.

so no more Maiden in Black :(

Zzoram

Lé Blade Runner said:

So... Should I?
It's the best console game ever made. Should you?

RiverBed

Banned
I've just started the game and only one world is opened to me. I assume that is 1-1. NOw, if i want to play 1-2, how would I go about it? Or would the picture-gates automatically switch to the second sublevel?

Also, I am curious as to what happens when you kill that huge monster in a small room at the end of the totorial? or is it impossible to win that fight?

And man, is this game hard!

Zzoram

RiverBed said:
I've just started the game and only one world is opened to me. I assume that is 1-1. NOw, if i want to play 1-2, how would I go about it? Or would the picture-gates automatically switch to the second sublevel?

Also, I am curious as to what happens when you kill that huge monster in a small room at the end of the totorial? or is it impossible to win that fight?

Whenever you beat a boss you unlock a teleport point that let's you go to/from nexus. Beating the 1-1 boss unlocks the teleport near 1-2 and opens up 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1 in nexus.

You can beat the tutorial boss with skill. You end up dying and going to nexus anyways. He shows up in 4-1 again as a miniboss.

Big B

the black stick that the Maiden in Black hold: is it just a simple stick or does it have a bulb thing on top? I don't have access to my game at the moment so if someone can enlighten me I'd love it.

(yes this is a Halloween related question)

Canova

Banned
RiverBed said:

- Beat 1-1
- go back to Nexus
- Find the monumental (little bald kid up in the Nexus)
- then all archstones should be open

It's possible to kill the tutorial boss. I've done it 4-5 times, you get teleported to new area, and meet face to face with one giant monster, then you get bunch of stones to upgrade your weapons, bunch of healing grass, and some renowned hero souls

I made a lot of progress today. As usual, with a lot of cheap tactics against bosses, since I suck at bosses in almost all games. First up was 4-1. The skeletons weren't that bad when I figured out that I was supposed to attack them with blunt weapons. Furthermore, running around swinging a wooden club was a lot of fun. :D At the vanguard guy, I had to be cheap and shoot him full of arrows. Otherwise, the level itself was not too difficult, although those flying things were really irritating. I couldn't figure out how to damage the boss with melee attacks, so once again I resorted to arrows. (Notice a pattern?)

Next up was 2-2, which I decided to tackle in body form. Here, I got my first taste of co-op which was really enjoyable. However, the guy I summoned might not have enjoyed it as much, since I quickly reached my maximum item limit and stopped for a minute or two to figure out what items to drop. (Settled on dropping all my arrows. They are easy enough to replenish.) Anyway, we ran really quickly through the level, and he killed some crystal lizards for me. (Thanks a bunch!) Without knowing what I was doing, I rescued Patches and ran off before we even got introduced to each other. Since I had never tried the level before, I let my partner take the lead. I noticed that my crescent falchion seemed to deal good damage to almost all enemies. Finally, we reached the boss. Unfortunately, my friend got killed almost directly, while I was busy switching out my thief's ring to my ring of flame resistance. Is there any way to summon him back again in such a case? It felt a bit lonely. :( Anyway, I actually went melee against the boss, and for once it actually seemed to work. There was a bitter end to the battle though, since he killed me when he less than 10 % left of his health. Dismayed by this defeat, and the fact that I hadn't opened up any shortcuts, I decided to put the level on hold.

Instead, I decided to go back to world 4. After having cleared 4-1, it seemed like a lot of the NPC's were talking about Saint Urbain, so I figured I would be able to rescue him in 4-2. Before going, I had a rendezvous with Patches in the the Nexus and bought some of those heavy arrows. He also had cheap grass, so I think he will be my most used merchant. Anyway, went on into 4-2 and got scared by that guy summoning shadow monsters. Once I figured out I only had to kill him and, even more importantly, could do so from a distance with arrows and that it would give me 5000 or so souls, I got a bit happier. I guess that's a potential grinding spot if I would ever need it later on. Anyway, went on into the level only to
get kicked down a pit by Patches. What a bastard! I love him! :lol Still it all turned out to the best since it allowed me to rescue Urbain.
After that I went on with the level and after lots of tries, before figuring out how to beat the second and third scythe guys, I finally got to the boss. I got owned the first time (and this is supposed to be one of the easier bosser, right?) and decided on my second try that I didn't want to go through the whole level again. So therefore I chose, surprise! to kill him from afar with arrows. (This game is really making me lose respect for myself. :lol)

Anyway, when I got back to the Nexus, I noticed something I never thought I'd experience. Wasn't there a very bright light coming from the world 4 archstone? Sure enough, I enter the level and meet up with a gentleman seeking a special sword. After some aimless wandering, I remembered the item I couldn't get to before in 4-2, and sure enough. The magic sword Makoto!
Stupidly, I gave it to Satsuki, for which he showed his gratitude by attacking me. Fortunately, he was a pushover so I got my sword back, but no other items from him.
So now I have a kickass sword. Would that it will make my burden a bit easier to bear.

Now, if any one had the patience to go through this wall of text, a few questions:

Would the Makoto have been lost forever if I had lost to Satsuki (or if someone had invaded and killed me while I was fighting him)?

After 4-1, the disciple of god said he would go search for Urbain. After my failed attempt at Flamelurker, I returned to find him gone. And I didn't find him in world 4? Did he get himself killed and is lost forever? :( (Or maybe I shouldn't do that sad smiley. Like Patches, I actually find the sanctimonious holier-than-thou attitude of the priestly crowd rather tiring.)

I bought the "second chance" spell from Urbain. Seemed like a good investment, even though I had to level my faith a bit to get the miracle capacity to use it. But when I tried using it once, nothing happened. What's up with that?

Finally, an observation. I've done quite a bit of body form gameplay by now, but not once have I been invaded. On one occasion, someone tried to invade me in 2-1, but there was a connection error, or something. From what I've heard here, other people seem to get invaded a lot. Is this a US versus EU server thing?

edit: OK. Appears I didn't rescue Patches. I just youtubed the first meeting with him. That was hilarious!

arotator

Neo Member
I (stupidly) corrupted the save file on my highest level character (a 41 wanderer) the other day. So now I'm in the process of playing through the game with my priest. I'm enjoying the use of magic, the priest gets a lot more mileage with the mana than my wandered did (I've leveled him accordingly).

Zzoram

arotator said:
I (stupidly) corrupted the save file on my highest level character (a 41 wanderer) the other day. So now I'm in the process of playing through the game with my priest. I'm enjoying the use of magic, the priest gets a lot more mileage with the mana than my wandered did (I've leveled him accordingly).

How did you corrupt it? Try to exit during an autosave to undo something bad? Demon's Souls doesn't care about your save file.

Canova

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:
I made a lot of progress today. As usual, with a lot of cheap tactics against bosses, since I suck at bosses in almost all games. First up was 4-1. The skeletons weren't that bad when I figured out that I was supposed to attack them with blunt weapons. Furthermore, running around swinging a wooden club was a lot of fun. :D At the vanguard guy, I had to be cheap and shoot him full of arrows. Otherwise, the level itself was not too difficult, although those flying things were really irritating. I couldn't figure out how to damage the boss with melee attacks, so once again I resorted to arrows. (Notice a pattern?)

Next up was 2-2, which I decided to tackle in body form. Here, I got my first taste of co-op which was really enjoyable. However, the guy I summoned might not have enjoyed it as much, since I quickly reached my maximum item limit and stopped for a minute or two to figure out what items to drop. (Settled on dropping all my arrows. They are easy enough to replenish.) Anyway, we ran really quickly through the level, and he killed some crystal lizards for me. (Thanks a bunch!) Without knowing what I was doing, I rescued Patches and ran off before we even got introduced to each other. Since I had never tried the level before, I let my partner take the lead. I noticed that my crescent falchion seemed to deal good damage to almost all enemies. Finally, we reached the boss. Unfortunately, my friend got killed almost directly, while I was busy switching out my thief's ring to my ring of flame resistance. Is there any way to summon him back again in such a case? It felt a bit lonely. :( Anyway, I actually went melee against the boss, and for once it actually seemed to work. There was a bitter end to the battle though, since he killed me when he less than 10 % left of his health. Dismayed by this defeat, and the fact that I hadn't opened up any shortcuts, I decided to put the level on hold.

Instead, I decided to go back to world 4. After having cleared 4-1, it seemed like a lot of the NPC's were talking about Saint Urbain, so I figured I would be able to rescue him in 4-2. Before going, I had a rendezvous with Patches in the the Nexus and bought some of those heavy arrows. He also had cheap grass, so I think he will be my most used merchant. Anyway, went on into 4-2 and got scared by that guy summoning shadow monsters. Once I figured out I only had to kill him and, even more importantly, could do so from a distance with arrows and that it would give me 5000 or so souls, I got a bit happier. I guess that's a potential grinding spot if I would ever need it later on. Anyway, went on into the level only to
get kicked down a pit by Patches. What a bastard! I love him! :lol Still it all turned out to the best since it allowed me to rescue Urbain.
After that I went on with the level and after lots of tries, before figuring out how to beat the second and third scythe guys, I finally got to the boss. I got owned the first time (and this is supposed to be one of the easier bosser, right?) and decided on my second try that I didn't want to go through the whole level again. So therefore I chose, surprise! to kill him from afar with arrows. (This game is really making me lose respect for myself. :lol)

Anyway, when I got back to the Nexus, I noticed something I never thought I'd experience. Wasn't there a very bright light coming from the world 4 archstone? Sure enough, I enter the level and meet up with a gentleman seeking a special sword. After some aimless wandering, I remembered the item I couldn't get to before in 4-2, and sure enough. The magic sword Makoto!
Stupidly, I gave it to Satsuki, for which he showed his gratitude by attacking me. Fortunately, he was a pushover so I got my sword back, but no other items from him.
So now I have a kickass sword. Would that it will make my burden a bit easier to bear.

Now, if any one had the patience to go through this wall of text, a few questions:

Would the Makoto have been lost forever if I had lost to Satsuki (or if someone had invaded and killed me while I was fighting him)?

After 4-1, the disciple of god said he would go search for Urbain. After my failed attempt at Flamelurker, I returned to find him gone. And I didn't find him in world 4? Did he get himself killed and is lost forever? :( (Or maybe I shouldn't do that sad smiley. Like Patches, I actually find the sanctimonious holier-than-thou attitude of the priestly crowd rather tiring.)

I bought the "second chance" spell from Urbain. Seemed like a good investment, even though I had to level my faith a bit to get the miracle capacity to use it. But when I tried using it once, nothing happened. What's up with that?

Finally, an observation. I've done quite a bit of body form gameplay by now, but not once have I been invaded. On one occasion, someone tried to invade me in 2-1, but there was a connection error, or something. From what I've heard here, other people seem to get invaded a lot. Is this a US versus EU server thing?

edit: OK. Appears I didn't rescue Patches. I just youtubed the first meeting with him. That was hilarious!

What is your level, I may be able to help you tomorrow night with 2-2. I can show a short cut, we're gonna do the leap-of-faith shortcut :D

Your MP must be at least 100 to use second chance

what server are you in? yes there's more invasion in NA than in EU

dralla

what he fuck is going on. im hitting maneater with firestorm, i can hear him scream and keel over over when it's hitting him but it's not doing any damage, zero.

Top Bottom